My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

We are fairly new to the Conciege Lounge visitors - and up until 2 or 3 cruises ago we had no idea that men wearing shorts was not allowed - hubby was very quietly asked not to wear them by the third concierge so he went and changed and did not have a problem with wearing long pants - of course this was during 5-8:30 - shorts are allowed other times and even people in bathrobes have come in - in the morning for coffee

I have never ever seen inappropriate attire in the concierge lounges during our past 5-6 cruises so I have no idea what ship one poster was on that saw this

We also have not seen anyone in shorts or children in bathing suits and flip flops coming into the mdr for dinner either - and we've been on 30 cruises plus. Perhaps it was not a Royal ship:)

We are fairly new to the Conciege Lounge visitors - and up until 2 or 3 cruises ago we had no idea that men wearing shorts was not allowed - hubby was very quietly asked not to wear them by the third concierge so he went and changed and did not have a problem with wearing long pants - of course this was during 5-8:30 - shorts are allowed other times and even people in bathrobes have come in - in the morning for coffee

I have never ever seen inappropriate attire in the concierge lounges during our past 5-6 cruises so I have no idea what ship one poster was on that saw this

We also have not seen anyone in shorts or children in bathing suits and flip flops coming into the mdr for dinner either - and we've been on 30 cruises plus. Perhaps it was not a Royal ship:)

You are lucky. We've seen it all come into the MDR for dinner, on Royal ships.:)

My sister is just off the Allure and a 10 year old came in barefoot.:rolleyes:

I have always found a welcome letter indicating the request to not wear shorts in either the evening Diamond event or the evening CL. Apparently some people do not bother to read the information provided in their cabin.

My son, daughter in law and their then 5 year old daughter sailed with me in a Grand Suite 2 years ago. We knew that my granddaughter couldn't join us in the concierge lounge, and that was ok.

My son decided to join me in the CL for a drink one night, and bring a drink and some appetizers to the cabin. The concierge very politely explained that he was not allowed to take it out of the CL. My son than called and wanted to pay for a drink set up, that he was willing to pay for, but that wasn't allowed either. Needles to say, after paying $10,000 for a suite for 4 we are no longer doing that.

They had to order their drinks from room service, after my granddaughter had gone to bed.

Needles to say, we will never book a suite again, in fact my kids lost interest in cruising, as a result of this.

I'm a Diamond + member, having sailed on over 35 cruises with RCCL, and don't book anything higher than a Jr. Suite now.

I don't approve of having children in the CL during cocktail hour, as the lounge is many times too crowded to accommodate all the adults.

Ginnie

I am not in favour of children in the lounge during Happy Hours.

Does this new rule also apply to the Diamond lounge where you have to have completed so many trips?

The reason for this QUESTION

A friend D+ was travelling with a non D+ in the same cabin and her companion was not allowed in.

Now if she had been a child would she have gained access??? to both lounges.

Considering how small the Concierge lounges are on the Radiance Class how will they cope.

Rccl seen to lurch form one bad decision to another, about time they looked at the policy makers.

IMHO It is not rocket science to ask regular cruiser's what they think first.

G

If you go look at the deck plan of Enchantment on Royal's site you will see that all full suites have a triangle or a combo of a triangle and cross symbol.....the triangle symbol means they have a sofa-bed and can hold up to 4 people...many times you are also allowed a roll-away so that will bring the max up to 5 people....the cabins with the combo triangle cross hold up to six passengers.

okies that makes sense. I have looked at floor plans but not paid too terribly much attention to the symbols on categories that were not pertinent to my cabin.

(how bad is the wine? is it their house brand, or a step below? heheh) I mean DH will probably glue himself to the cappuccino machine during the day and I intend to take full advantage of the appetizers as we have late seating.. but truly, if the pre dinner fermented grape juice is horrid( and for free, really, there's no justification to gripe) I will just resign myself to getting a glass elsewhere first.

or drink less...:rolleyes: :eek: oh who am I kidding.....:cool:

okies that makes sense. I have looked at floor plans but not paid too terribly much attention to the symbols on categories that were not pertinent to my cabin.

(how bad is the wine? is it their house brand, or a step below? heheh) I mean DH will probably glue himself to the cappuccino machine during the day and I intend to take full advantage of the appetizers as we have late seating.. but truly, if the pre dinner fermented grape juice is horrid( and for free, really, there's no justification to gripe) I will just resign myself to getting a glass elsewhere first.

The wine served at Diamond Events is the house wine, La Terre.

It is more commonly (and accurately) known as La Terrible.

Since taste is subjective I will just stick to the facts......the brand of wine served in the CL is La Terre...it can currently be found on-line with a simple search selling retail for $4/bottle.

The Champagne served in the CL is Pol Clément Brut Blanc de Blancs...it retails for under $7/bottle.

My son, daughter in law and their then 5 year old daughter sailed with me in a Grand Suite 2 years ago. We knew that my granddaughter couldn't join us in the concierge lounge, and that was ok.

My son decided to join me in the CL for a drink one night, and bring a drink and some appetizers to the cabin. The concierge very politely explained that he was not allowed to take it out of the CL. My son than called and wanted to pay for a drink set up, that he was willing to pay for, but that wasn't allowed either. Needles to say, after paying $10,000 for a suite for 4 we are no longer doing that.

They had to order their drinks from room service, after my granddaughter had gone to bed.

Needles to say, we will never book a suite again, in fact my kids lost interest in cruising, as a result of this.

I'm a Diamond + member, having sailed on over 35 cruises with RCCL, and don't book anything higher than a Jr. Suite now.

I don't approve of having children in the CL during cocktail hour, as the lounge is many times too crowded to accommodate all the adults.

Ginnie

I think you and others have hit the nail on the head. Why are there all these rules about taking a drink out of the lounge? It makes no sense to me. If I am paying $10,000-$15,000 for a suite or have been loyal to Royal (or both), why can't I grab a drink and take it to my room while I get ready. Quite frankly, they need to figure out a plan that will accommodate D/D+ and suites guests who might like a drink, but don't necessarily want to sit in the lounge.

I guess I sort of resent the subtle implication that those of us who are D+ are "second class citizens" and inferior to suite guests.

Using the old standard, we have been on at least 24 RCCL cruises (for sake of argument, I'm not considering the length of cruise or suite bonuses). Let's further assume that average cruise basic rate was $600. That means each couple has given RCCL $28,800 just for the ability to sail (24X600X2).

Now add in what we spent for excursions, drinks, etc., etc., and you are talking a significant amount of money.

RCCL should realize that we, the D+ Cruisers, are indeed the backbone and steady revenue source of the company.

To imply that we are second class and even suggest that out perks be taken away is ridiculous and foolhardy from a corporate standpoint!

And one week in a Royal Loft will set a couple back over twenty grand for one week.;) Suite guests pay dearly for those suites.

I have always found a welcome letter indicating the request to not wear shorts in either the evening Diamond event or the evening CL. Apparently some people do not bother to read the information provided in their cabin.

I would also say that the no shorts info has been in all the letters we have received.

Perhaps if they let someone take their unfinished drink out, the overcrowding in the CL would be reduced.

I've stopped by at 5:30 then back at 7:30 and some of the same people have their butts glued to the couches. Then again, some of those are high maintenance people that suck the life out of the concierges.:rolleyes:

Well like many I sent a letter to Goldstein stating disappointment in their new rules. We have been on cruises in the past where the Concierge does nothing to rule breakers due to the fact they do not want that person either writing on the comment cards, or sending to Miami.

We often travel in a suite and are D+, and have just read Goldstein's Blog on this board he would not like the answer I might give him. Also we have booked a cruise on an alternate cruise line, and have been informed that we CAN order liquor from Bon Voyage to be delivered to our cabin, unlike RCCL that prohibits this. He also states that the Diamond Lounge will be "adults only" so if you would like an evening drink with friends prior to dinner you will need to pay for it!!!!!

Yes Mr. Golstein we hear what you are saying, but hear us we can also take our business elsewhere.

Hello Tina,

I agree with you 100%.

If RCCL has these rules, then

they should be enforced..

See you on the NOS, 12/4/11!!

I must say, this summer on the Mariner in Europe was the first time there was ever an issue with children in the CL. I have been on other RCI ships in the CL with children and could care less. There was NEVER an issue like this. This was a 13-night sailing and the first few nights it was adults only in the CL. Also, every night when we left for dinner, it was crowed.

I would say by the 4th night, pre-teen age kids came in with their parents and were very loud. Mom & dad kept telling them to lower their voices but hey, they were kids on vacation..... The following night the family came in again and the kids basically raided the food trays, were tossing the dvd's around in the draws and were loud again. The tables on each side of my family kept looking at us & others wondering if anything was going to be done since it was that noticable. But while my family was there, over an hour, no action was taken. That night after my family left and ate dinner, we went back to talk to the employee about the situation. He stated that there were serveral other couples that already came to him about it and he stated he would take care of it. He did. The kids were not in there the rest of the trip but a few nights mom/dad came in, got drinks & left again. They did not stay.

When my family went in the CL, we expected to converse with fellow passengers and enjoy cocktails before dinner. When you can't hear what the person sitting across from you is saying due to teens mis-behaving is rude on their part. I have to say when growing up and traveling on ships, I (along with my brothers) had to stay out of the adult only areas and be respectful to fellow passengers. Mom & dad enforced it and that was that. Seeing now-a-days what kids get away with is amazing.

I know each sailing you are going to get different situations but when the staff sees the situation (& you cant tell me 3 of them did not see what was happening...plus they were picking up after them) something should have been done prior to other passengers saying something. This was ongoing for quite awhile prior to us going to dinner but we felt it wasn't our place to say anything to the family since it was their business and their kids. I really hope if RCI implements these 'rules', they enforce them. But then again, look at the other boards about dress in the dining room, 'no saving of seats', bringing alcohol onboard, ect. It is a never ending that they have these rules but really dont go crazy enforcing them.

Just my thought..... :)

Tina

On the Oasis in July people came in wearing shorts, anything they wanted to wear, at cocktail hour even on formal night.We complained but got nowhere with that.We wrote about it on the comment card and I followed up with an e-mail.:mad:

I've stopped by at 5:30 then back at 7:30 and some of the same people have their butts glued to the couches. Then again, some of those are high maintenance people that suck the life out of the concierges.:rolleyes:

Have seen this many times. Some think the concierge is only there for them. On one trip there was a couple who constantly interrupted the concierge when someone else was speaking with him.

Since taste is subjective I will just stick to the facts......the brand of wine served in the CL is La Terre...it can currently be found on-line with a simple search selling retail for $4/bottle.

The Champagne served in the CL is Pol Clément Brut Blanc de Blancs...it retails for under $7/bottle.

so it's Two Buck Chuck for all intents and purposes. okies. will allow myself to try it once.. (and in the meantime will research wine packages, I can kill a bottle with dinner all by myself...)

I don't mind children being permitted into the CL as long as they are supervised and well behaved after all some family's like to go and have a drink in the CL and do not want to leave their children alone and they had to pay big bucks to bring them on the cruise too:eek:

Maybe they should have 5 to 6:30 children are allowed into the CL and 6:30 to 8:30 no children are allowed in as family's with children do go to early dinner:cool:

I don't mind children being permitted into the CL as long as they are supervised and well behaved after all some family's like to go and have a drink in the CL and do not want to leave their children alone and they had to pay big bucks to bring them on the cruise too:eek:

Maybe they should have 5 to 6:30 children are allowed into the CL and 6:30 to 8:30 no children are allowed in as family's with children do go to early dinner:cool:

Now that is a good compromise

Hope RCCL are reading these posts

j

Archived