Noordam 6th - 26th August 2011

Teresa Price

Dear all,

just a quick review of our recent 20 day Med. cruise on Noordam.

Ship

We have been on three other dam ships, so no real surprises there then. Wonderful flower arrangements as always. Our cabin [5082] was looking only a little tired. There was an issue of paintwork affecting our view from the balcony [lifeboat thingy which did get sorted out]. I hate to say this but we did not have a great cabin steward although I think they are having to do too much which leads to forgetting items such as laundry bags, tissues etc. [i would like to point out that we did not complain about this or affect our tips]Anyway good position except maybe for the overhang. Anyway very central, plenty of storage.

Food

Anytime dining was much better than the last time we were on HAL. Everything was hot and very good. Loved lunch in the Lido. However, many people [including myself] had problems with swollen feet and ankles. I saw the nurse who said that there is a lot of salt in the prepared sauces etc. Now I had never had this problem before inspite of being on HAL ships and travelling at very hot times. So I increased fruit and veg intake and reduced sauces and it did improve some. Wouldn't let this issue put me off anyway but worth noting . There are some super staff in the Lido including Deddy [juice man], Wayan and Raith.

Norovirus

That had you sitting up!!! Congratulations to HAL - we did not hear of one case [although someone else may know otherwise]. I think the procedures at the start of the cruise really have helped this.

Ports of Call

Too many to mention but the usual suspects! Loved them all including Naples itself [which is always worth a look]. On this subject shuttle buses are getting expensive and ships excursions are also becoming a bit of a joke. Basically HAL [and other lines] rely on people's fear of travel in 'strange' countries. This is fine for those who like being organised or find moving around difficult. I don't and enjoy the challenge of trains in Italy etc. We did do a Santorini tour and it was very good. The excuse used too often by cruise lines is the price of European coach tours. This is total drivel as we often take coach tours when on holiday in Italy etc. Anyway it is important to have the choice.

Oh can't leave this subject without saying the one and a half days in Barcelona were excellent! Plenty of time for everyone to do tours or their own thing. We bought a two day hop on hop off ticket and used it well. Very well organised inspite of the number of people in the city.

People

What an amazing mix of people from all over the world we met on this cruise. Both passengers and crew were very interesting.

Weather

Perfection!!! We had sunshine each and every day of the 20 days. Only a little rough sea one night but nothing to worry about. Makes up for the rubbish summer here in England.

All in all we loved it, feel free to ask any questions.

Teresa

PS we also met some great CCrs!!!

Thanks for the review. I'm curious about what you thought of and what you did in Tunisia. We are on the Noordam next month and I am really looking forward to this port. I'm trying to arrange a private tour as we are really not into the ships' tours. Any feedback would be great!

Portofrome: This is off topic but, I notice that you are from Civitavecchia -- we will be there next month to embark on our Noordam cruise. We are arriving a day early and renting a car to explore the local area. We are thinking of heading to Tarquinia and possibly Viterbo for the day. I'm curious, however, if you could give us a recommendation for a restaurant for dinner that night.

Thanks!

Softball 20 - we didn't do anything in Tunisia as we had been twice before. Carthage is the must see I guess. Go with either the ship or a pre arranged driver. From what we saw the taxis look ok [ie not rust buckets!]. Of course, most people did take the tours here and fair enough. Many people got taken at the shops in the port - paying laughable prices - you have to haggle. Re your question about Civitavecchia - if you can drive out to Ostia Attica the Roman site there is well worth looking at. We spent best part of a day there a few years ago. Don't know about eating out. We stayed at the Miramare overnight, which was fine and very easy to get a taxi to the ship. Oh we were onboard before 11am that day!

As to the erratic cabin service - we laughed it off and laid bets as to what he was going to forget next! These guys have a serious workload.

cheers Teresa

Thanks Teresa,

Haggling is not a problem for me at all :) Hopefully I'll get a tour put together. I have a company all lined up, I just need to add people to get the cost down a little.

We, too, are staying at the Miramare. Looks like it's in a great location. I'm assuming that we can have them call a taxi for us. Thanks for the info about Ostia Attica, as well. We've been to Rome a couple times in the past few years, so we wanted to see something different.

Donna

Hi Donna,

yes the guy at Miramare called a taxi which we shared [minibus really] which cut down the cost. Very friendly at the hotel but breakfast isn't much to write home about! Our room had air conditioning and overlooked the sea. A little noisy that night - but it was a Friday in peak season. Envy you, great time to do the Med. - can't do it myself at that time because I teach.

Teresa

PS I have never in my life seen so many 'back to school' signs as I did on this cruise. All in English - sad:[

Archived