circumnavigation of Australia cruise

I am just starting the search for a cruise in 2012 that circumnavigates Australia. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would choose the September sailing as the weather is far better, March could be cyclonic in the north and more humid. The Dawn Princess sets off at the end of this week for that cruise. Bali is also on the itinerary.

Princess and various other lines offer circumnavigations of Australia and now also Australia and New Zealand .

Most are offered in the Australian Summer months which suit the cruiselines but the time is not the best . Far too hot and humid in the North and Queensland. Also risk of cyclones and bad seas in North Australia at that time of year .

If circumnavigations are offered between March and November those are better times to go climate wise .

Is this a popular cruise and have you folks been on it before or seen any reviews. We have only been to Australia and N.Z. once and that was a trip that went from Sydney to L.A. in November.

Ann

Judging by the successfull roll call it certainly looks popular. Personally have not been on this one, but it's on my bucket list.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1236577

Thanks for all the info. I had been also researching Australian internet travel sites but have been told that because we are Canadian we cannot book thru one of these agencies even if the prices are lower.

I live in a small town and we do not have an experienced travel agency so I wonder if it is better to try and book with a cruise line itself or use an online agency. Problem is I haven't used one before.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Ann

Celebrity cruises is offering a circumnavigation of Australia in 2012 on Century and in 2013 on Solstice:

Century 2012 - Jan 18 Sydney to Auckland, Jan 30 Auckland to Perth, Feb 17 Perth to Sydney.

Solstice 2013 - Jan 16 Sydney to Auckland, Jan 28 Auckland to Perth, Feb 15 Perth to Sydney.

Thanks for all the info. I had been also researching Australian internet travel sites but have been told that because we are Canadian we cannot book thru one of these agencies even if the prices are lower.

I live in a small town and we do not have an experienced travel agency so I wonder if it is better to try and book with a cruise line itself or use an online agency. Problem is I haven't used one before.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Ann

Ann I'm surprised that it is cheaper to book here - I got a much better deal booking my "vacation" online with an agency in US. I saved $1000 per person and there are four of us.

Hi, Ann we have the same situation here (on island in New Zealand), but today I contacted an American website TA. Due to the rules on this forum (understandable) we are not allowed to give out any TA names and although I have seen the name mentioned by Cruise Critic themselves in an article, I received once a warning from CC when I referred to this American site not by name but by initials.

So all I can suggest is how I found them. Look for discount cruise ship vacations, then look for one where you have a free phone connection to Canada, so in that way you are still speaking to a person. My mother in law booked her cruise like that on the Diamond Princess and all worked out well.

Good luck, hope you find my site not only for the best prices, but they provide a wealth of information about a lot of cruiselines, ship photo's and destinations.

I am just starting the search for a cruise in 2012 that circumnavigates Australia. Any advice would be much appreciated.

We did our circumnavigation of OZ on Sun Princess in 2008, whilst it was good, the ship/service/food/entertainment was not as good as on the 'American Princess ships.'

Quite a few tender ports too, we missed out on Geraldton, Exmouth and Cooktown because of sea state, too rough to launch tenders. Also big tendering delays in Cairns.

Good to see other lines are now cashing in on the circumnavigation business.

Is this a popular cruise and have you folks been on it before or seen any reviews. We have only been to Australia and N.Z. once and that was a trip that went from Sydney to L.A. in November.

Ann

Yes it is a populair cruise. We did it in November 2008 and it was really around Australia, incl. Exmouth and Broome. Now they miss these ports and go to Bali for the day. Highly recommended. :)

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are really looking at doing the 34 day Holland America trip around Australia. We would be most interested in chatting with those of you who have done this trip either last year (2010) or this year (2011).

Mainly, how rough are the seas on the sea days?

We did a HAL cruise around Cape Horn last fall and it was pretty rough. The ship was leaning from the 60 mph wind so much that I thought I was going to slide and fall over the rail on my verandah. I love rough, my wife hates it.

Thanks for your help.

Archived