Buffet etiquette?

vasoccerchick

That is true.... the trays did allow you to put your drink, silverware, etc. on them and make one trip. However, in eliminating the trays, CCL can reduce the amount of stuff they have to wash and lower their costs... which we hope translates into continued lower cruise rates. :)

Riiight. Sure they'll lower the rates. :D

We tried that, and no, it wasn't. Took FOREVER! Our b'fast in the MDR was the worst dining experience we had.

Sorry to hear that! We loved having a relaxed breakfast without feeling rushed through (or stranded in) a line. Plenty of hot coffee and great food! Then again, we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

We ate breakfast there every day on my last cruise (Ecstasy), even the day we got off the ship. It's just so darn nice to be waited on! :)

Found this via google - sounds pretty good:

Definitely there's an etiquette to the buffet line anywhere, be it restaurant, school cafeteria, or home. Don't get me started! I can think of a few unspoken rules that I see infringed regularly:

Do not fail to wash your hands before going through the buffet line. If you have a cold, either stay away from the buffet, have someone else prepare a plate for you, or, if you must partake, scrub in like a surgeon.

Do not save a space in line for members of your party. Either join the line as a complete group, or line up separately as you arrive.

Do not pick out choice bits such as lobster, scallops, cobbler crust, or in one case the entire top layer of a gratin. Take only your fair share.

---------------------

and some more info for those who are interested:

Going to eat at a buffet restaurant can be tricky if you don't know how to navigate it. By following a few tips, you will have buffet table etiquette!

By following a few simple rules and staying on the right side of the sneeze guard, you can have an enjoyable buffet experience.

•Before heading to the buffet line for the first time, look for eating utensils at your table. If there are none, keep your eye out for them as you get your plate.

•Buffets usually have one or two lines. If there are two lines, both sides usually have the same item so get in the shortest line.

•Gender, sex, age, and status are meaningless in buffet lines. Don’t feel you need to let anyone go ahead of you but also don’t butt your way in. Wait your turn.

•Take the first plate you touch; no fondling all the plates looking for what you deem to be the perfect one.

•Use the serving utensil designated for that dish for only that dish. Don’t use the same one to pick up different items. Return the utensil to its original dish.

•Do not use your fingers to pick up food in the buffet line. Use the utensil.

•For the sake of your fellow diners, try to keep the foods you choose cohesive with the course you are getting. Watching someone eat a plate of pickled beets, lobster tail, Jell-O and a slice of apple pie all at once is not appetizing.

•Resist the urge to pop a few items in your mouth as you go through the buffet line. You’ll be at your table within a minute!

•Turn away from the food and cover your mouth if you must sneeze or cough when in line.

•Do not put an item back if you took it and then changed your mind once you put it on your plate.

•Double dipping is not allowed. If you want dip or sauce, put a dollop of it on your plate.

•You can go back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. There is no need to build a pyramid on your plate. Never fill your plate so full that you have to hold the food as you walk to your table to keep it from falling off.

•Do not take more food than you will eat. There is no reason to have leftovers on your plate. If you are not sure if you will like something or not, take a small sample. You can get more on your next go-round if you like the dish.

•You don't need to wait for everyone to get back to the table before you start eating but it's thoughtful to wait for a few people. Waiting any longer will leave you with cold food.

•When going back for seconds, do not take your plate. Leave the empty one behind and a server will pick it up, usually before you return. Get a new, clean plate at the beginning of the buffet line.

•When leaving your seat to go back for more, place your napkin on the seat of your chair.

•Don’t feel you must eat until you have to loosen your belt and need a crane to carry you out. Don't shovel your face full just to feel like you got your money’s worth.

•You cannot take home a doggie bag with leftovers from buffets. Don’t even think about it.

Do not dawdle over a dish if there are people behind you waiting to serve themselves from the same dish.

Do not grab a serving spoon from a nearby dish to help yourself from a dish just because the person in front of you is still serving himself from that dish using the appropriate serving spoon.

Do not sneeze or cough into the food.

Do not let children under ten run amok, serve themselves, and make a mess.

Do not turn around or back up without looking around. There may be someone behind you holding a loaded plate.

Do not run, carefully walk, with your plate of food.

Do not stand at the lobster dish just waiting to pounce as soon as more lobster is brought out. That is too tacky for words!

Do not take enough lobster for your whole table of friends, leaving none for anyone behind you. Take only your share. Yoiur friends have to get in line and get their own.

Do not leave dropped food on the counter or floor; pick it up and out of the way, or at least notify staff to clean up.

Sorry to hear that! We loved having a relaxed breakfast without feeling rushed through (or stranded in) a line. Plenty of hot coffee and great food! Then again, we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

We ate breakfast there every day on my last cruise (Ecstasy), even the day we got off the ship. It's just so darn nice to be waited on! :)

I agree! On our last cruise (Dream), we had breakfast in the MDR every morning. It was a such a relaxing way to start the day! Service was wonderful. Some mornings we were seated with others, and a couple of mornings we requested a table of our own, and that was not a problem at all. Port day or sea day, it is definitely the way to go for our family!

I am of the opinion that I don't want to stand in line if all I want is something from the middle. I like to wander the buffet first and see what I want and then go get my plate and take the items quickly and get out of the way. I noticed on my last CCL cruise that the line was constant, everyone just standing and being slow. I don't understand why people can't just wander and get what they want. I like to start with a salad, go and eat that and then go back for the main entree, but with the way people were standing in line I would have to start again from then end of the line.

Then the buffet line was mixing in with the line for the asian station and made for some irritation. Just go, look around, pop in and out and let the line move more quickly. It isn't high school where the selection was limited to 3 items, sheesh people MOVE YOUR POSTERIORS!!!

I am with you on that one. I do a quick lap and survey the landscape, then it's a surgical strike on the few items that I like. I won't squeeze between people that have been waiting in line, but if there is open space because someone is the "Michaelangelo of salad creating" I hit and run!

I also like the ships that have the salad bar seperate from the hot buffet line...like the Fascination.

I was just on the Glory and the 1st morning (sea day) we went to the breakfast buffet was crazy. I got in a very long line that just didn't seem to move. Once I got up to where I could see, I noticed there was a mom and several teens standing in front of the hot foods...just standing there and talking to each other. The lady in front of me and I were shocked that they were just planted and not moving along. Every minute or so, one of them would take a scoop of something...but they all just stood there. Then, I noticed mom walk off with a tray and I thought...'yay, we'll move now'...wrong. She came back and talked to the kids and then left with another tray...by then all their plates were full, but still they stood there (and they were not waiting on bacon...there was plenty of bacon). Some of the food pans were nearly empty and I think they were waiting for fresh hot replacements to be put in. Either that or they were waiting on mom to go find a table. It was rude and inconsiderate of all the folks waiting behind them. My DH and DDs had gone to other food stations and got their food AND ate it all and came to me...still waiting...to say they were done and leaving. Don't know why I waited around...should have left and went to another line...but I was so close. Next sea day we went to MDR and it was fantastic.

By the way...there were still trays on the Glory in August.

And unless you need to cut in line for something you forgot...like milk or butter...you need to get in line and coast along like everyone else. It's rude to 'hit and run'.

I agree! On our last cruise (Dream), we had breakfast in the MDR every morning. It was a such a relaxing way to start the day! Service was wonderful. Some mornings we were seated with others, and a couple of mornings we requested a table of our own, and that was not a problem at all. Port day or sea day, it is definitely the way to go for our family!

Same here, I am avoiding the lido buffet as much as possible!

I hate buffets but sometimes you have to do what the others in your party want. #1 thing you should not do, for your own good and for the good of others, use your napkin to wipe your hands and fingers instead of licking them clean!

I can not count how many times I have witnessed the licking of fingers routine and then the person walks back to the buffet line and starts touching utensils. :eek: YUK!!!!

I bring a box of latex gloves from Home Depot and use them whenever in a buffet situation, cruise ship or otherwise. I am not a 'neat freak' or germ-aholic, but these finger-lickers who then pick up the tongs make me sick.

I also have no problem whatsoever going around a bacon-waiter or whomever does something like that.

That is true.... the trays did allow you to put your drink, silverware, etc. on them and make one trip. However, in eliminating the trays, CCL can reduce the amount of stuff they have to wash and lower their costs... which we hope translates into continued lower cruise rates. :)

I can't wait to see for myself but I've heard that the plates are large enough to hold a drink or a bowl of soup. I usually stick my silverware in a pocket when I go through buffet lines.

For most people it's probably a good idea to take space up on the plate for items other than food. (Myself included!):o

Found this via google - sounds pretty good:

Definitely there's an etiquette to the buffet line anywhere, be it restaurant, school cafeteria, or home. Don't get me started! I can think of a few unspoken rules that I see infringed regularly:

Do not fail to wash your hands before going through the buffet line. If you have a cold, either stay away from the buffet, have someone else prepare a plate for you, or, if you must partake, scrub in like a surgeon.

Do not save a space in line for members of your party. Either join the line as a complete group, or line up separately as you arrive.

Do not pick out choice bits such as lobster, scallops, cobbler crust, or in one case the entire top layer of a gratin. Take only your fair share.

---------------------

and some more info for those who are interested:

Going to eat at a buffet restaurant can be tricky if you don't know how to navigate it. By following a few tips, you will have buffet table etiquette!

By following a few simple rules and staying on the right side of the sneeze guard, you can have an enjoyable buffet experience.

•Before heading to the buffet line for the first time, look for eating utensils at your table. If there are none, keep your eye out for them as you get your plate.

•Buffets usually have one or two lines. If there are two lines, both sides usually have the same item so get in the shortest line.

•Gender, sex, age, and status are meaningless in buffet lines. Don’t feel you need to let anyone go ahead of you but also don’t butt your way in. Wait your turn.

•Take the first plate you touch; no fondling all the plates looking for what you deem to be the perfect one.

•Use the serving utensil designated for that dish for only that dish. Don’t use the same one to pick up different items. Return the utensil to its original dish.

•Do not use your fingers to pick up food in the buffet line. Use the utensil.

•For the sake of your fellow diners, try to keep the foods you choose cohesive with the course you are getting. Watching someone eat a plate of pickled beets, lobster tail, Jell-O and a slice of apple pie all at once is not appetizing.

•Resist the urge to pop a few items in your mouth as you go through the buffet line. You’ll be at your table within a minute!

•Turn away from the food and cover your mouth if you must sneeze or cough when in line.

•Do not put an item back if you took it and then changed your mind once you put it on your plate.

•Double dipping is not allowed. If you want dip or sauce, put a dollop of it on your plate.

•You can go back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. There is no need to build a pyramid on your plate. Never fill your plate so full that you have to hold the food as you walk to your table to keep it from falling off.

•Do not take more food than you will eat. There is no reason to have leftovers on your plate. If you are not sure if you will like something or not, take a small sample. You can get more on your next go-round if you like the dish.

•You don't need to wait for everyone to get back to the table before you start eating but it's thoughtful to wait for a few people. Waiting any longer will leave you with cold food.

•When going back for seconds, do not take your plate. Leave the empty one behind and a server will pick it up, usually before you return. Get a new, clean plate at the beginning of the buffet line.

•When leaving your seat to go back for more, place your napkin on the seat of your chair.

•Don’t feel you must eat until you have to loosen your belt and need a crane to carry you out. Don't shovel your face full just to feel like you got your money’s worth.

•You cannot take home a doggie bag with leftovers from buffets. Don’t even think about it.

Do not dawdle over a dish if there are people behind you waiting to serve themselves from the same dish.

Do not grab a serving spoon from a nearby dish to help yourself from a dish just because the person in front of you is still serving himself from that dish using the appropriate serving spoon.

Do not sneeze or cough into the food.

Do not let children under ten run amok, serve themselves, and make a mess.

Do not turn around or back up without looking around. There may be someone behind you holding a loaded plate.

Do not run, carefully walk, with your plate of food.

Do not stand at the lobster dish just waiting to pounce as soon as more lobster is brought out. That is too tacky for words!

Do not take enough lobster for your whole table of friends, leaving none for anyone behind you. Take only your share. Yoiur friends have to get in line and get their own.

Do not leave dropped food on the counter or floor; pick it up and out of the way, or at least notify staff to clean up.

Thanks for posting those etiquette rules. I'm not a big fan of buffets and part of my dislike is because of the general rudeness of many. My SIL loves them and when we eat out with our daughter and SIL he often chooses a buffet. There is a local buffet that has an abbreviated version of that list posted near where you wait in lkine to pay.

For us, the key is to go at off-peak times. We are late sleepers so by the time we get up there for breakfast (9:30 or so), the rush is long past.

Here is lunch in the Lido Buffet on the Liberty last January, the timestamp on this image is 1:39PM ET, pretty sparse:

1165777709_UoJJH-M-2.jpg

I like buffets since I can try different stuff and I am not limited to one entree, or side...sometimes I just want all vegi's....I am not a big meat eater and will take a vegetable over a meat most times. I am not a vegetarian either...just a preference. Me, my daughter and the babies eat at Chinese buffets and at Golden Corral. The kids seem to eat better at those places and my daughter like me, likes choices.

When going through the buffet, I chose fast. I dont stand and think about it for forever, if I am not sure, I come back around. I do tend to let the older folks cut in line. And it doesn't bother me when some one wants to just reach in a grab something they forgot..like a roll or something. I do tend to get irritated by those who stand there for a long time trying to make a decision. Get what you want and move on!

I hate buffets but sometimes you have to do what the others in your party want. #1 thing you should not do, for your own good and for the good of others, use your napkin to wipe your hands and fingers instead of licking them clean!

I can not count how many times I have witnessed the licking of fingers routine and then the person walks back to the buffet line and starts touching utensils. :eek: YUK!!!!

My stomach just cringed.

For those people who can't make decisions on the spot about what they want to eat. We walk past all of the buffets and look at the sign so we know what is being offered. We then pick the line that has what we're interested in. If you think you might be interested in trying something new and you're standing in front of it, put a little bit of it on your plate to try rather than coming back later.

If you're waiting on something to be replaced, at most wait 30 seconds and move on. You can always go back through the line to get it when it comes out! 2 pieces of bacon aren't worth holding up the 30 people behind you! It's vacation so you shouldn't be in a huge rush, but you also shouldn't be forced to wait in line 30 minutes for your breakfast (which is now cold) because 5 people insist on having "fresh" food.

Overall, have respect for the others who are in line. Use common sense and realize the ship isn't going to run out of food.

As far as hygiene, I wish everyone washed their hands and didn't do disgusting things but unfortunately that's not the case! We are friends with a couple and we are positive they don't wash their hands. He will grab a chip (as in chips & salsa at a restaurant) break the chip in half (like he can't eat the whole thing!) and put the other half back in the basket. The next chip and so on...he continues to do this. It gets to the point where the only chips left are his "broken" chips. It's disgusting and it causes us to not be able to eat chips and salsa because you have to share a basket. They do the same thing with breadsticks/biscuits. They will either tear pieces off from ALL of them or they will pick up several and put them back! Some people are disgusting and they don't have manners or respect for others. :eek:

We started bringing walkie talkies with us on each cruise to be able to communicate on the ship and in port. We found them to be particularly useful in the buffet lines as well. We can each get in separate lines and communicate what we want.

One of us in the omelette line can order both omelettes, and the other in the regular line can get everything else.

It's also especially useful when trying to locate where your partner is seated. There's nothing worse than walking all over the place with a heavy tray trying to find where the other is seated.

Archived