why are diapered children banned from pools?

DiploTraveler

Who's checking for the diapered adults??? My little 6mo loved her duck tub by the pool. I am thinking that my 3yo (not in swimmies) is better about telling me she has to go potty than the person with the bucket of beer at the pool :)

Urine is sterile - feces, not so much.

I remember some years ago when my daughter was taking swimming lessons at the local community college. Among the rules given to each parent was that the kids use the restroom facilities before their class.

One day we showed up for her lesson and were told that the pool had to be closed due to "an accident" so the pool could be shocked. We had left before the staff started making phone calls. The end result is that every student was given a credit toward another course and many of us made an unnecessary trip to the school. BTW' date=' this was a competition sized pool so just think of all the water that had to be [b']emptied,[/b] fresh water added, and chemicals added.

Just as FYI, when a pool has to be closed due to an "accident" it is not emptied. It is shocked and they run the pumps for approx. 12 hours.

Just as FYI, when a pool has to be closed due to an "accident" it is not emptied. It is shocked and they run the pumps for approx. 12 hours.

Not always the case. I know of at least twice that public pools have had to be completely drained and scrubbed after a child had explosive diarrhea while in the pool. There was just too much "matter" that needed to be removed to just shock the pool and run the filters.

That's on a land based pool. Cruise ships will regularly fill them with seawater and drained in the evening without treating them chemically (which would hurt the environment after draining).

An accidental fecal release would result in the draining of the cruise ship pool, a scrub down, and refilling of the basin.

Let me tell you from experience, aboard the Disney Magic in mid-2000... it was entertaining when the pools would close, get drained, and yellow jumpsuited "cast members" would scrub down the pool.

It was funny... but the pools would be closed for 2 hours at a clip... sometimes to get re-filled and closed again shortly after re-opening, that was terrible... especially on sea days.

Of course, it was around the same time Norovirus infections started to hit the news... couldn't serve ourselves our own food at the buffets...

You still aren't 'getting it'. Think of a diaper, any type, as a tea bag. You are familiar with how a teabag works? It keeps the tea leaves (solids) in, but allows water to circulate through and pick up the essence of the contents and spread it thoughout the water. Swimmie diapers do exactly the same thing. They may keep the solids in, but the 'essence' still circulates throughout the pool. Would you like your child to be playing in that 'essence'? Putting their hands in their mouths...EM

That is one of the best analogies I have heard- thanks!:D

That's on a land based pool. Cruise ships will regularly fill them with seawater and drained in the evening without treating them chemically (which would hurt the environment after draining).

An accidental fecal release would result in the draining of the cruise ship pool, a scrub down, and refilling of the basin.

Let me tell you from experience, aboard the Disney Magic in mid-2000... it was entertaining when the pools would close, get drained, and yellow jumpsuited "cast members" would scrub down the pool.

It was funny... but the pools would be closed for 2 hours at a clip... sometimes to get re-filled and closed again shortly after re-opening, that was terrible... especially on sea days.

Of course, it was around the same time Norovirus infections started to hit the news... couldn't serve ourselves our own food at the buffets...

Actually, I was referring to a landbased pool. My daughter is a lifeguard/licensed pool operator during the summer and closing and shocking the pool is a huge pain in the butt. Not only do you have to deal with the "accident" but also with angry patrons. Some parents will try to "hiide" the evidence, whether its solids or vomit. :mad:

Couldn't read through all the posts as the images were making me nauseous. Carnival pride has a small pool that diapered kids can swim in. Again very little water that could be dumped and filled easily. We bring a small inflatable pool for the diapered ones.

There is no pool on any Carnival ship for children in swim or regular diapers. Children must be potty trained to use the pool.

That was what i thought so i was letting my then 1 1/2 year old play in the water of the shower next to the pool as my husband and 3 year old were in the pool when i was approached my the assistant cruise director. He informed me that there was a kids pool that she might enjoy on the X deck. I said, "oh she still wears diapers" and he said that they were allowed in that pool since it was a wading pool.

If you'll pardon the pun, this doesn't quite pass the sniff test for me. Emptying 10,000 gallons into a few billion as you're moving at 20-30 feet per second seems unlikely to do anything to any organism. Now, getting that close to a 100,000+ ton vessel might ruin your day... :D

In any case, JH has very explicitly stated that they do use chemicals:

We do indeed chlorinate our pools at the levels determined by United States Public Health and these levels are strictly monitored on board, so the reports you have read are incorrect. As for babies in the pool, we do have a rule that states that children must be potty trained before they are allowed there.

... which is from his 7/12/2011 blog.

This is strictly a financial issue. Newer ships have the ability to entertain diapers butts in a water play area, so clearly it's possible. I would assume it's also possible to add the required filtration to existing ships if they wanted to do so. Carnival just hasn't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure it's next on the agenda right after the loyalty program updates. :D

That was what i thought so i was letting my then 1 1/2 year old play in the water of the shower next to the pool as my husband and 3 year old were in the pool when i was approached my the assistant cruise director. He informed me that there was a kids pool that she might enjoy on the X deck. I said, "oh she still wears diapers" and he said that they were allowed in that pool since it was a wading pool.

The Assistant Cruise Director was wrong. Yes, those ships have those small wading pools. NO, diapered children are not allowed in them. I have been on 3 Carnival ships with those pools, here is the sign placed at that pool (yes I take pictures of everything ;))

044.jpg

..when i was approached my the assistant cruise director. He informed me that there was a kids pool that she might enjoy on the X deck. I said, "oh she still wears diapers" and he said that they were allowed in that pool since it was a wading pool.

What can I say? The world is full of stupid people (not you).

You still aren't 'getting it'. Think of a diaper, any type, as a tea bag. You are familiar with how a teabag works? It keeps the tea leaves (solids) in, but allows water to circulate through and pick up the essence of the contents and spread it thoughout the water. Swimmie diapers do exactly the same thing. They may keep the solids in, but the 'essence' still circulates throughout the pool. Would you like your child to be playing in that 'essence'? Putting their hands in their mouths...EM

That was very very descriptive, if they didn't get it before, they sure will now :D

Could be because a cruise ship is a closed environment... to some degree... I mean, you go to the "town pool" and wade around in the baby pool which is always a few degrees warmer than the adult pool... your kid can potentially get exposed to Coxsackies virus.. http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/coxsackie.html#

What happens?

You go home, the next day, baby's got a fever, sores on the hands, feet, and in the mouth. You call the Pediatrician and stay home for a few days.

Can't do that on a cruise ship... unless they quarantine you to the room.

Sick or not... the family will still hit the buffets, MDR, and bars. It's the reason why norovirus infections tend to hit the cruise industry particularly hard. You're not going anywhere else anytime soon... and if you do go somewhere, you're coming right back! Dinner's @ 8:00! :o

Archived