Florida's port

CRUISING71

We are from California. We are thinking of flying to Florida to cruise in April 2012. Of all the ports in Florida which one is the easiest going from Airport to the cruise port and vice versa?

I check airline price from LAX to MIA, FLL and Orlando and they are all the same...plus or minus $ 10. Not much a difference. So, we want the easiest transfer from airport to port.

We are from California. We are thinking of flying to Florida to cruise in April 2012. Of all the ports in Florida which one is the easiest going from Airport to the cruise port and vice versa?

I check airline price from LAX to MIA, FLL and Orlando and they are all the same...plus or minus $ 10. Not much a difference. So, we want the easiest transfer from airport to port.

lauderdale its 5 miles a cab is $15 and its a 5 munite ride:)

We live in California also. We cruise often. Ft Lauderdale is the best airport for cruising because it is VERY close to the port. However...

Please consider flying in a day or two early. Warning...DO NOT fly in the day of the cruise!

We always fly in at least one day early to account for flight delay issues, and it is nice to have a day or two to get used to east cost time, and just relax before the cruise.

If you fly in early then any port will due, except port canaveral, its a pain to get to in my opinion.

My favorite FL port is Ft. Lauderdale for the reasons everyone has already stated. Also, there are a ton of reasonably priced motels nearby, and most of them offer free shuttles FROM the airport and TO the cruiseport. Really simplifies things!

Orlando airport to Port Canaveral is about an hours drive. FLL is a 5 min drive, Tampa is a 20 min drive and Miami is about a 20 min drive from airport to port.

Don't forget Jacksonville. 15-minute drive to the port and it's off a major beltway in the city. They do 4 and 5-night sailings to Key West, Bahamas, and private island. Carnival is the only gig in town so the rates are kinda high.

My favorite is FLL. Tons of hotels, super close to the airport, and lots of great food around.

If we leave to FT Lauderdale...we have Carnival Freedom with their 8 days itinerary leaving Saturday and coming back on Sunday. Do you think it is doable taking a red eyes direct flight from LAX to FLL on Friday and arriving Saturday at 6am?

If we overnight, I have to pull the kids out of school on Friday and Monday, since we won't arrive until late Sunday's night.

If we leave to FT Lauderdale...we have Carnival Freedom with their 8 days itinerary leaving Saturday and coming back on Sunday. Do you think it is doable taking a red eyes direct flight from LAX to FLL on Friday and arriving Saturday at 6am?

If we overnight, I have to pull the kids out of school on Friday and Monday, since we won't arrive until late Sunday's night.

It depends on the time of year. April you should be OK. Nov thru Mar I wouldn't try it unless it was a non stop flight.

The red eyes should be non stop flights - yes you can do it!

Don't forget Jacksonville. 15-minute drive to the port and it's off a major beltway in the city. They do 4 and 5-night sailings to Key West, Bahamas, and private island. Carnival is the only gig in town so the rates are kinda high.

My favorite is FLL. Tons of hotels, super close to the airport, and lots of great food around.

Another Californian voting for FLL. It's not worth going to Jacksonvill for the shorter cruise. If you're coming from coast to coast, you want a minimum of 7 days unless you are adding a land tour to your package.

Great pic.:) I can almost see the Hyatt Pier 66 that we stayed in last year. It's just out of the picture.

Thank you. I took that from my Southwest flight after my Westerdam cruise, the first of the HAL ships in the picture. EM

We actually park at the airport to cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. It is cheaper and very convenient.Doc

Good idea.

------------------

Essiesmom----- thanks for the great picture.

------------------

Another use for FLL is to use SAS shuttle transfer from FLL

to POM. Great shuttle service.

I live near Port Everglades but get a ride to FLL and use SAS

shuttle for my cruises out of Miami.

:cool:

SAS is a great company. It will add dollars. 13 to 15 pp each way from FLL to Miami.

If you cruise out of Port Canaveral, it is a 45 minute drive from the Orlando airport to the port. Carnival transfers and taxis are pretty pricey for this one. But I love Port Canaveral. I would rent a car.

I think Fort Lauderdale airport is easiest but I absolutely LOVE sailing out of Miami!! Getting a great rate at Intercontinental and starting my vaca at Bayside. Then sailing the next day out of the cut and seeing South Beach - can't be beat!!

I think Port Canaveral is the nicest/easiest port BUT it's a pain in the butt if you're flying in because you arrive in Orlando, which is about an hour from PC.

I *hate* the Port of Miami. Horrible experience there on my 2005 cruise. I'm braving it again next year though, because I like the itineraries that sail out of there better :-/

Port of Miami has easy access from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) or Miami (MIA). As previously stated I would use a taxi from MIA for a set rate of 24.00 to the port. I would use SAS Transport to or from FLL.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami airports both tend to be very busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings/early afternoons because of cruise traffic....Fort Lauderdale is more passenger friendly and updated but both work quite well....it would come down to price and schedule as the deciding factor for me.

As far as the port, I really love POM.....it is quick, and efficient and close to other attractions if you have time....Bayfront Park and Southbeach, and launches two of Carnivals greatest ships (IMHO), Liberty and Valor.

Hope that helps

MCO- Orlando is not the closest international airport to PC. Melbourne is and is only about 25 minutes away, you also have the option of Sanford or Daytona International. There are four choices, everyone just assumes MCO which is the furtherest.

It also depends on your qualifications of easy. Time to get there, check in factors etc. I find Tampa the most well run followed by PC, FLL then Miami never sailed out of Jax.

IMHO you should just pull the kids out of school on Friday. If you take a red eye, you can sleep on the flight but what if you're like me and can't sleep while on a plane? Means you're going to want to sleep when you get on the ship. Also, you say the flight arrives at 6am? What are you going to do for 4-5hrs before you can board the ship? I'm pretty sure they won't let you into the cruise terminal that early. Also, if you decide to grab breakfast while you wait for the cruise terminal to open do you really want to have to lug your luggage around with you all morning? Just a few things you should think about before deciding on doing a red eye.

Archived