Is may good time for Bermuda

mary227667

We went the May 31, 2009 for our anniversary and the water termperature had just reached 80 degrees F around Bermuda that day. We had a wonderful week with great weather. Earlier in May you may run into cooler weather, cooler water and jelly fish.

Earlier in May you may run into cooler weather, cooler water and jelly fish.

Well, unfortunately this could happen during any month. My DH was stung by Portuguese man of war (yucky jellyfish like creature) this past July at Warwick bay, as well as another girl at Horseshoe, and we saw another two at St Gorges harbor.

I believe weather in May is a bit cooler than during summer months.

If you go in May--plan on the very end of the month if you are interested in swimming. The water is not really warm enough in early May. Ive heard that the local residents don't usually go swimming until late May. However, having said that, we've been to Bermuda twice in early May (around the time of our wedding anniv.) and it's lovely on the island--whether you swim or not.

We went in April of this year. The weather was perfect (once we got there). It was about 75 degrees and it felt warmer with the humidity. I personally prefer that weather over what they would have in the summer.

The water temp was about 70, which is warmer that it ever gets in New England. I went in at the snorkel park and was fine for me. The visibility is greater when the water isn't as warm. Not to mention, there are less people in the water.

Horseshoe Bay was not swimmable due to the Man O' War. From what I was told, they have that problem until around June.

Thanks for all the info. We'll make sure we have alternate plans in case the water is too cold for swimming or snorkeling.

Mary, if you decide on the Star the week of May 13th, be sure to join our roll call here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390732&page=2

I loved Bermuda in May for the air temp. The water was a bit on the chilly side. But still doable.

My husband and I have been to Bermuda six times but always in summer, once in Oct. we are thinking about May for our anniversary. Is this a good time to cruise there. Thanks for any input you have have.

We went in mid May this year and thought it was a wonderful time to go!!! May not be as warm as Summer but very pleasant for walking around the island. We did not get to go to the beach since I had hurt my foot but others did and said it was fine. (the locals thought it was too cool ) but we were coming out of a cold spring so felt good to us !!! New York was a bit rainy and cool but that was okay.

We went the 3rd week in May and the cruising seas were very smooth. The air and water temp were too cool for me to swim in the ocean but many were in the water. Great for sightseeing!

The ship hot tub was fantastic, especially while in port and the ship was empty.

HI,

I went in may (22nd) this year.

Seas were smooth both ways

Air temp was hot when the sun shined.

Water temp was 73

A lot of people in the water at the beaches.

Being from Canada, 73 in may , we jumped right in the water !

We had a SUPERB trip. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

We've been on the Boston to Bermuda for the past 9 years and we always go at that time of year. The first or second trip out of the season and we have GREAT weather.

We also went a couple times in August and it was oppressively hot and crowded. For us, really too hot to walk around and one time at the beach even the sand was too hot to step on, sun block felt disgusting...water was WARM though.

We're not swim beach fans anyhow:rolleyes: Just love the ocean, gazing at the beauty!! And cruising on it.

I don't like salt water to touch my skin:rolleyes: and I rarely go in my own pool at home...too chilly.

~Cindy

I have been to Bermuda in July, way too hot for me, very humid, have been in May~~perfect for the beach walking, in April~~very chilly on the ship, once there the beach was nice for relaxing, not too warm and not too chilly and walking was nice also. I am taking my first cruise in November this year~~this summer has been a wash-out for me, planned a beach vacation~had to cancel because of Hurricane Irene and just got back from MA and it rained and it is raining now. I am from good old New York State and want to move South!!!!:)

Archived