Grand Turk near to port

nigkar

We will be visiting Grand Turk for the 1st time.

Is there enough to do near port ?

Can anyone recommend,nearby beaches,places to eat,etc,etc.

Is it a nice area,or do we need to go a little further out from the port?

Any information is gratefully appreciated.

There is plenty to do at the port, Margaritaville, WaveRider aand shops if that is what you want to do.

What we did is rented a Golf Cart from Nathan Smith and explored the island. It is small enough that you cant really get too lost. Tht way we went to the end of the islan and back in about 90 minutes which left us time for the beach. I think the cart is 80.00, for four people, but if you tell him that it isonly two of you he will reduce the price to 65. You pay in advance with a credit card. OP have stated that for various reasons they missed stopping at GT, but after calling Nathan their money was refunded. His contat info is nathanandlinda@tciway.tc & the # is 649-231-4856 .

Lots of people go to Jacks Shack fo drinks and food. We went to Governors Beach, which was wonderful and within sight of the ship.

I will post a few pix of GT for you too. One picture is of the horses that wander along the road. The other picture is of a boat right off of Governor's Beach. Last is the lighthouse at the far end of the island

Enjoy

IMG_1330.jpg.ef8a2da41f7323997cca15be2287bcb2.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg.0306590b179cf18d299d14821ff97773.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg.f854f4f68c147154e71077000771dec9.jpg

Stop by Jacks Shack for a drink and to meet Jack and Janet, great people who we can't wait to see again. While you are there, they will introduce you to Topher, be prepared to fall in love with him, he is a awesome dog! Here is a link to their website, print you a coupon for a free rum shot.

http://www.jacksshack.tc/Home.php

• 4 weeks later...
Grand Turk has the most beautiful ocean colors surrounding it. We enjoyed taking a taxi to town from the pier -$5 pp- and just walking around. Then we spent the afternoon at the beach and pool at the pier.

will be there 6 hrs..and no excursion from ship sounds good,,all beach related...this sounds good,,but worried about safety,,,where did you get it,,,near port?? Is beach within walking distance from pier??:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
We will be visiting Grand Turk for the 1st time.

Is there enough to do near port ?

Can anyone recommend,nearby beaches,places to eat,etc,etc.

Is it a nice area,or do we need to go a little further out from the port?

Any information is gratefully appreciated.

Grand Turk was our first stop on our first cruise, we didn't realize this wasn't how all ports would be - now that I know more I realize how awesome a port this is! There is beautiful beaches right next to the dock heading out in both directions. Margaritaville has a big pool and a swim up bar right where you get off the boat. (No charge, although we weren't thrilled with the service at the swim up bar, we sat for a long time and never got acknowledged!). You really don't need to book or plan anything to have a nice beach/pool/bar day. It is of course very crowded since its right next to the ship, so if you want more solitude you might want to plan a trip to somewhere else, but this port can't be beat for easy on/easy off the ship and tons to do within walking distance. I wish our ship had more time there, we were only there until 2pm :(

• 3 weeks later...

We did the horseback ride in 2010 first thing once we docked. Got a nice tour of the Island on way there and back including a stop at the lighthouse. The horseback riding was extremely fun, as it included a trail ride and ride in the ocean (if anyone as ever done this, I now know what it must be like to be in the Kentucky Derby). Got back to ship and spent rest of day right on beach in the Cruise Terminal. Loungers are all along the beach, and its not too bad for to snorkel (best thing is ability to buy some beers at the bar and sit and watch the kids do the snorkeling!).

• 2 months later...

i recommend walking down the beach from margaritaville, which was wall to wall people when we were there this week. jack's shack is a ten minute- and absolutely beautiful- walk from the main cruise pier, and it was not crowded at all. we paid $20 for two loungers and an umbrella and just laid there for a few hours. probably the most relaxing port i've ever been to on my many cruises. even Princess Cays required a tender to get there. :)

will be there 6 hrs..and no excursion from ship sounds good,,all beach related...this sounds good,,but worried about safety,,,where did you get it,,,near port?? Is beach within walking distance from pier??:confused:

I found Grand Turk to be very safe. (Title of question was "Is taxi safe for senior lady on own for day??) It is a small island, and very quiet. Most of the taxis are larger, 8 people vans, and they put people in till full, so you will not be riding by yourself. As always, confirm the price before you get into the taxi.

Archived