Whale Watching

augies

What's the best port in Alaska for a Whale Watching tour? I see they have them in every port but since we probably can only do one due to cost, any recommendations?

Also, what other tours are a must see?

Thanks.

We used Orca Enterprises for our tour in Juneau. They were great. I took some great pictures.

IMG_0482.jpg.ccea6327c1aeb8bccf542c9428743c38.jpg

we were on the Golden last week and went on a wonderful whale watching/glacier excursion through the ship. We went on the excursion with the 20 person max boat, but there were only 12 of us on the excursion. I think it was run by Gastineau. Saw lots of orcas very close by, humpbacks etc.

Thanks for all the responses.

If we want Harv and Marv or Orca, do we book privately in advance of our cruise or are they booked through Princess?

Thanks.

These are both independent vendors, who have to be booked direct by you.

For clairfication, whale watching is NOT "available" in every port. Hoonah and Juneau are the only two with consistant 100% sightings of humpbacks.

Out of Victoria- independently- orcas are seen, maybe 75% of the trips. With most ship schedules however- you are limited to ship tours, which are shorter and have lower sighting stats.

Thanks for all the responses.

If we want Harv and Marv or Orca, do we book privately in advance of our cruise or are they booked through Princess?

Thanks.

Book privately in advance of your cruise. They book up quickly so I would book a few months out!

This past July we went whale watching in Juneau with Alaska Galore (Toursaver coupon 2-for-1). We were in a 6 person boat (but only our family of 4- lucky us). We were fortunate to see bubble net feeding! Even though I got seasick in Homer while halibut fishing, this little boat and I got along just fine. No stomach problems at all! And the price was right!:)

We booked independently with Harv & Marv out of Juneau for our cruise last week (Sat 3 Sep) and would go again in a heartbeat! Their price was a little higher than what we could have done thru the ship excursions (Disney Wonder) - but H & M offered more time on the water and a smaller boat - we figured by that time we might be a bit tired of being around lots of people! :D

We had a group of 4 & were joined by a young woman doing some filming for an independent TV show she was producing. Captain Steve was absolutely amazing - he kept checking with other pilots to see where the good spots were that day - made sure we were all comfortable and had good views, both inside & out and his enthusiasm and awe - even at the end of his fourth season -was *infectious*! There was water, soda and light snacks on board (cookies & granola bars), which he invited us to help ourselves to.

Not only did we see nearly a dozen humpbacks at 3 different locations, we also spent time with two pods of orcas - getting so close we could not only hear them spouting, but even smell their whale breath (cool, but gross!) We spent all our time between various islands, so the waves weren't any issue, even in the smaller boat - in fact, it was so calm, Captain Steve was able to take us out to a sea lion rookery that's normally out of their range.

In Juneau -- we pre-booked before we left home one time with Orca Enterprises.

The other time we knew in advance that there was only going to be 2 other ships in port with us -- so we waited until we were docked and went over to their office.

You asked about other excursions -- somewhere you should book a float plane or helicopter tour of the glaciers.

This past July we went whale watching in Juneau with Alaska Galore (Toursaver coupon 2-for-1). We were in a 6 person boat (but only our family of 4- lucky us). We were fortunate to see bubble net feeding! Even though I got seasick in Homer while halibut fishing, this little boat and I got along just fine. No stomach problems at all! And the price was right!:)

Hi we are booked for Alaska in June 2012. Who did you fish with in Homer for halibut? Hubby wants to fish...Thank you in advance

Archived