is Oceania for us?

rickandpat

I found a fabulous itinerary for Greek Islands, hoping they have it or something similar in 2013. I understand Oceania is port intensive - perfect - but would we be the only ones onboard who need to mix up the cultural exploration with active pursuits? I'm thinking swimming, hiking, etc. (didn't notice any hiking excursions listed for this one trip, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough). Are the concierge people good about telling us how to get to a decent beach to swim or are they only interested in selling excursions? BTW we're 50 and 53.

Yes, I think Oceania will suit you fine. While there is an excellent shore excursion office with wonderful options, there is also an open house by the concierge/customer service group. At each port the local welcome committee came on board and suggested alternatives.

Remember the crew is also a good source of info. They have their own shore ex planner and often know quite a few good places to go on your own.

As Orchestrapal suggested, go to CC Message Boards, Ports of Call and search under each stop on the itinerary. You'll find lots of great ideas and reviews. Also - if there's a media-sponsored (newspaper/radio) Travel Show coming up in your city, try to attend. You can ask questions of the various representatives re: activities and don't-miss sights and pick up maps, public transport info, etc. :)

As Orchestrapal suggested, go to CC Message Boards, Ports of Call and search under each stop on the itinerary. You'll find lots of great ideas and reviews. Also - if there's a media-sponsored (newspaper/radio) Travel Show coming up in your city, try to attend. You can ask questions of the various representatives re: activities and don't-miss sights and pick up maps, public transport info, etc.

If you decide to book the cruise, sign up on the CC Roll Call for your sailing and post the kinds of activities you're interested in. You'll probably be able to get some groups together!

We haven't done a Greek Island cruise on O but last year on the Midnight Sun cruise there were a number of ship's tours that were for the very active. It is true that the average passenger is older than you are, but that doesn't mean they are all INactive!

Independent touring has been recommended, which is probably your best bet.

But I also have found that the concierge can be very helpful in giving you other options. Even the Destinations people can be helpful for people who aren't doing ship's tours -- they can't accommodate all of the passengers on a ship's tour and they know that. I have seen complaints about Destinations -- that they aren't helpful in giving people other options. But that has NOT been our experience.

Typically a local person comes on board in the morning to give people advice on what to do. Just get there early to talk to this person about your options.

And do your own research. If you want to go to a beach, for example, check out transportation at your ports. Sometimes you need cabs, sometimes there is public transportation.

You won't have a problem finding cultural enrichment on your cruise. It might be a little more difficult to find more energetic activities but it shouldn't be impossible.

Mura

I do not think the Concierge sells shore excursions they may but I have never asked

Destination Services is where you book the ships excursions

Most Oceania cruisers seem to do their own research many months ahead of time & book private tours

Join the Roll Call for the cruise & you might find others willing to share active tours

I agree with MURA many may be over 60 but they are certainly not in active

Lyn

We did Athens to Istanbul and Greek Islands itinerary a few years ago w/Oceania and had a great experience. We did some ship tours that were excellent. They got Delos opened on a normally closed day and we were the only ones there. It was wonderful. Some we did on our own. I was in my late 50's then and have since "crossed over" but still active. You will find lots of walking and climbing available if you want just to get around some of the islands, e.g. Santorini. It was my second time in the islands and I'd go back again. I encourage you to do some research if you are interested and go!

You might be the only ones. We did a Greek Island itinerary a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. We don't take cruise line excursions and we rented a car on a couple of islands and drove to places where hiking or swimming could easily have been done. The temperatures would have made hiking a bit unpleasant though.

As your interests are not consistent with the demographic O caters to you should plan on doing your own thing - this isn't a negative by the way. As already mentioned most ports had a local on board for an hour or so in the morning to provide information and maps. I have to say that we didn't have any issues at all in finding our way around and exploring the islands on our own so I wouldn't let the lack of excursions turn me away from a great itinerary.

I found a fabulous itinerary for Greek Islands, hoping they have it or something similar in 2013. I understand Oceania is port intensive - perfect - but would we be the only ones onboard who need to mix up the cultural exploration with active pursuits? I'm thinking swimming, hiking, etc. (didn't notice any hiking excursions listed for this one trip, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough). Are the concierge people good about telling us how to get to a decent beach to swim or are they only interested in selling excursions? BTW we're 50 and 53.

If you do just a bit of research, you can arrange for swimming, hiking and similar excursions on your own; much less costly and time consuming than traveling with 40 strangers and waiting for the slowest of them.

We have rented cars on Santorini (twice), Corfu and at Katakolon and enjoyed both hiking and swimming.

Several years ago we learned that you can google yourself into finding local guides to take you all sorts of places at a price competitive with your shipboard shore excursions. In Trieste on Crystal we hired a guide who hiked us through mountain passes & into caves, & then drove us to have various phases of lunch - appetizers, main course, desserts - in 3 different places --- we surely had a unique experience by doing things this way. I'm certain you can do the same out of any venue in Europe, & you will have a very very rich experience as a result! Bon Voyage!

Another resource for independent touring is the sister site of CC, TripAdvisor. You can find advice and reviews from past customers of many tour operators by going to the search function in what ever port or area of the world you're visiting. I recently set up an independent tour in Costa Rica from advice from that site, and I can't wait! Good luck!

Archived