Renaissance vs. Marriott Marina?

lizgrl76

My fiance and I are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise departs and are wondering which hotel is better to stay at: The Renaissance Fort Lauderdale or the Marriott Marina? As it will be the start of our honeymoon we're looking for something special, and since I've seen good reviews for both hotels I'm hoping for some help in deciding. Do both hotels have shuttles to the ship? (I couldn't find that info online for the Renaissance). Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

The Marriott Marina has a shuttle to the ship, but the Renaissance doesn't. Sign up for it just as soon as you check into the hotel if you choose the Marriott, so you can get your time choice. The Renaissance is a newer, fancier hotel, but both are nice. The water taxi stop is at the Marriott. We enjoyed taking the water taxi to dinner, then returning after dark. The lights on the yachts and mansions are beautiful.

We thought the rooms at the Renaissance were lovely, however there was nothing really special about the hotel. Fine for one night and at the Priceline bid of $75, we found it great. Near the water taxi and the pier. There was a shuttle to the airport, so I imagine there would be one to the port. Honestly, I'd just go with a taxi.

I don't know anything about the MM, but am interested also.

JacquieP - Where do you recommend eating dinner?

Iamthesea - when you bid on priceline, is there a way to bid for the specific hotel you want. Whenever I have been on there you pick an area, rating of hotel and get what you get? Could you explain in more detail how you did it to get that hotel. Thanks

Iamthesea - You mentioned that Rennaissance had a shuttle to the airport. I won this hotel on PL for a precruise night next month and when I called, they said they didn't have an airport shuttle. When did you stay there? Did the shuttle pick you up at the airport? Thanks!

I stayed at both in December - Marriott before cruise and Renaissance after. I found both hotels to be very comperable and really didn't favor one over the other. I liked that the Marriott was closer to the intercoastal water way and had a better view of the ships but the Renaissance was a little closer to the grocery store and drug store.

The Marriott had a free shuttle to the pier. The shuttle from the Renaissance was $4 per person.

BTW - I bid 3 stars on Priceline and the first time got the Marriott and the second time they bumped me to 4 stars and I got the Renaissance.

We stayed at the Renaissance, it was nice. Don't know about the other, but most here praise it. You probably will be happy either way.

The Marriott Marina is closer to the water taxi. Make sure you get an all day pass and take the water taxi down to Los Olas Blvd.

As for the shuttle, don't base your decision on that. Many will tell you it's faster and easier to take your own cab. Sometimes the shuttles are crowded or require you to sign up in advance. The taxi is cheap, easy and fast.

As for the shuttle, don't base your decision on that. Many will tell you it's faster and easier to take your own cab. Sometimes the shuttles are crowded or require you to sign up in advance. The taxi is cheap, easy and fast.

I agree.

Hi!

The shuttle to the airport was not a free service. We paid per person and had to sign up for a time to go the evening before.

We bid $75 for a 3* thinking we would get the Embassy Suites and were upgraded to the Renaissance. As i said, the rooms and bathrooms were very nice! The interior public areas were small, but pretty and there is a place to eat. We went across the street to eat. The pool area is right next to a busy street, but we didn't have time to use it anyway. The walk to the water taxi was really short.

We were there in the spring of 2003.

Iamthesea - You mentioned that Rennaissance had a shuttle to the airport. I won this hotel on PL for a precruise night next month and when I called, they said they didn't have an airport shuttle. When did you stay there? Did the shuttle pick you up at the airport? Thanks!

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel one night on 1/22. It did not have a shuttle from the airport, but the taxi fare (if the taxi driver is honest) is less than $8+tip. I believe the hotel offers shuttle for $4pp, but you can walk to the port from the hotel. That's what the porter at the hotel told us when we asked about a taxi. He said the port terminal is across the street from the hotel, but if we took a taxi at the front of the hotel, it'll need to make a u-turn at the next intersection which will take about the same time if we walked.

We took the side gate (near the pool) of the hotel. It'll take you to the intersection where the Walgreen's was. If we had left the hotel before 1pm, we could have taken the side gate of the terminal and saved us at least 5 minutes of walking.

A while back, I posted something about our "walking" experience from the hotel to the port. We had 10 people, 4 kids under 5, 4 strollers, 6 rolling suitcases and various backpacks. We made it within 10 minutes.

Since you are on your honeymoon, I'm not sure you want to rough it, especially if the weather was over 80F. But if you want to save some $$, and if you don't have a lot of luggage, you may want to walk to the terminal from the Renaissance Hotel. I found the walk rather a fun experience.

Essentially, the distance between the port terminal and the Renaissance Hotel was closer than the distance between Publix Grocery store and the Renaissance Hotel. You can stock up on wines and soft drinks at the Publix. As I mentioned before, Walgreen's is right across the street.

People have posted suggestions on where to eat if you stay on the hotels that are located on the 17th street strip. Everything is slightly more expensive, but we didn't want to spend $$ on anything fancy, so we ate simply before a cruise. I believe there is a very nice restaurant within the Renaissance Hotel, but it's expensive. Entrees starts at $30.

We stayed at the Renaissance a couple of years ago and really liked it so when we got it through Priceline before our New Year's cruise, we were looking forward to it. We had two rooms and BOTH had to be changed because of the awful smoking odor in the rooms even though they were supposed to be non-smoking. Both rooms were really disgusting and there's no way I could have slept in mine. I would have gotten sick. Needless to say, we were very disappointed although the rooms we were finally given were fine.

When we went to breakfast the next morning, they had only two people serving in the restaurant and even though we were only 2nd in line and only 3 tables were taken, we weren't seated for over 20 minutes and there was a line through the lobby.

I wouldn't stay there again unless, of course, I got a heck of a deal on Priceline.

We flew in to Fort Lauderdale the day before we boarded the Coral Princess for a cruise to the Panama Canal. There was a terrible rainstorm that day which delayed us in Dallas for over two hours and we arrived from the West Coast around midnight. After a brief taxi ride from the airport, we arrived at the hotel and were immediately given our room key. The deluxe room was very clean and had a balcony overlooking the waterway. If you can, I would recommend getting a room in the tower, facing the pier or waterway. The next morning we stopped at the front desk to sign up for the shuttle to the pier and we were given the 12:00 time we requested. The shuttle was quick and absolutely free. The hotel was fine for our single-night stay and included a buffet breakfast, which was quite varied and ample. They even had an omlette station. If you need proximity to stores, it may not be for you, although the water taxi stop nearby can quickly get you to where you need to go. This was our second pre-cruise stay there and we will probably stay there in the future if we sail from that port. Hope this helps you.

We are flying in the day before our cruise and Princess has put us in the Marriott North. Anyone stayed here before? Was it close to anything? Also we would like to take our kids on a airboat ride. Has anyone done this and where did you go there seems to be a ton of Places but I would like a good one. Thanks for any help.:)

Hi!! We have stayed at both hotels. The Renaissance is lovely with beautiful rooms.

The Marriott is ok. It's advantage is that it is on the intracostal waterway and they have many beautiful boats docked there that you can walk around and look at.

The 2 hotels are within walking distance of each other.

As for a shuttle....REALLY....just take a taxi. Very cheap (maybe less than a shuttle for 2 people) and much more convenient.

Have a great honeymoon. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.

Jeanne

My fiance and I are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise departs and are wondering which hotel is better to stay at: The Renaissance Fort Lauderdale or the Marriott Marina? As it will be the start of our honeymoon we're looking for something special, and since I've seen good reviews for both hotels I'm hoping for some help in deciding. Do both hotels have shuttles to the ship? (I couldn't find that info online for the Renaissance). Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

I recently stayed at the Marriott Marina per cruise. The outside, lobby and patio areas were nice. The room was nothing special. Any inexpensive hotel has comparable rooms. The one thing that was different was that the carpet and drapes were very dirty. The carpet had stains throughout most of the room. I walked around the room in new white socks for about 5 minutes. The socks were so dirty that they were destroyed. They would not have been that dirty if I had walked down the street for about a mile. I will never stay at the Marriott Marina again.

I recently booked the Embassy Suites on 17th St. Then I checked biddingfortravel.com and that hotel seems to be offered there. It seems the two 3 stars hotels on priceline would be either the Embassy Suites or Mariott Marina. I have seen bidders post winning bids for $60 so this may be an option. I haven't decided it staying at the Mariott is something we want so have not bid yet. If you win the embassy suites stay, they offer a free airport and port shuttle, free drinks from 5 to 7pm and a full breakfast. Its worth a look. The outside of the Embassy suites is very nice.

Last year we bid on the Hyatt on 17th St. Got it for about $90. Very nice and clean hotel. No shuttles provided but the water taxi is withing walking distance.

Archived