OMG!!! MY mom had her IPAD stolen!!!

lovetexas

Oh my... we are frequent travelers.. my mom goes alot!!

She gave her bags over to security at the New Orleans port of Carnival. She got on the ship, got her luggage, and her brand new IPAD was gone!!!

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

I am soooooo mad I can barely type this!!

My mom ( and Aunt who is with her), are in their late 70's. What is wrong here!!

Carnival MUST step up and accept responsiblity. My sisters and I gave her this IPAD for her 78th birthday.... GEEZ.....

I will keep everyone informed!

I think this is very important to know when traveling on Carnival.

On RCI they step up to everything they are responsible for????

All I can say is..... where is our customer service here!@~!????

Oh yea... so mad forgot to say..

They are on the Triumph !!!!!!

Why would it be in checked luggage? They handle it so rough I would be afraid it would be broken. I'm sorry it was stolen, we carry on those type things when we travel, though I've never been on a cruise,(yet), I will carry ours in my carryon bag. Hope they at least pay her for it.

How cute.. Granny downloads apps too !!

Hey, lots of older people love technology...me included. I have more gadgets than most people and guess what! I know how to use them. All the "youngsters" call me when their computers, iPads, iPhones, kindles get screwed up or they need to install the latest software:D Don't be so sure you can put older people in your little "box".

After the "Money Stolen" thread......it makes me wonder if this is even true. Not saying that it isn't, but 2 similiar threads....:cool:

I just got back from a cruise last night, come to CC today and see the stealing threads...what the heck?? :rolleyes:

Sad story, but sorry anyone who has somethign both of value and highly desirable by all, why would it surprise anyone that it might walk:eek:

I guess a lesson for everyone to keep valuables close and watch carefully.

Funny there was another thread here asking about safety of taking/leaving an iPad by the pool. One person responsed with the suggestion of a lock :eek:

My 2cents don't let valuables out of your sight, or when in a hotel keep in the safe or in a drawer.

I dont know whats so hillarious about it. It is an unfortunate situation and grow up !!!!!!!!!

What was funny about that other thread is the accusation that CCL strip searches passengers who claim something was stolen from them. Also that a cop instead of putting money in the safe they hide it in a baby's diaper.

BTW, the daughter stole it and had a grand time with it.

Sorry for her loss. Too all of you flaming her for putting it in her check luggage shame on YOU. For God's sake she is 78 years old. I would not expect her to carry anything on board. And yes it is Carnivals fault. I do not care if it is their empolyees or not. They ARE the ones with the contract with the Port not her. She paid Carnival for the curise not the port. If the port is not secure then Carnival should provide the security for THEIR passengers and belongings to get on THEIR ship.

So CCL should not sail out New Orleans now? Pfft.

So since we are talking about this stuff -- just how big are these safes? Would that iPad have fit in it?

i borrowed my brother's i-pad for my recent cruise and it fit perfectly inside the safe. snug like a glove on the floor of the safe.

I was insanely vigilant with it, since it was borrowed. I assume granny knows better than to put her hundreds of spending money in her suitcase, it would only make sense to keep your hundreds of dollars of technology out of the suitcase too.

Make a complaint with whoever is in charge of the port loaders. Maybe if they get enough complaints about things being stolen they will hold their employees accountable. I understand your upset and you should be no one should be stealing from your grandma even if she left the ipad in her luggage.

That does suck but the fact is no business can be responsible for everything. You stated RC is responsible for everything that is just not true either. When hurrican Irene hit and the ships was forced to leave San Juan early, only Carnival ships paid for the customers to have lodging

on get to catch up with there ship. RC only helped if you purchased there insurance. Some things have to be the customers responsibility.

Don't leave exspensive item laying around and unwatched. Keep in carry ons.

How many of you lock your luggage. I never do, should I? I never put anything of value in it, just clothes and shoes.

Locking luggage is actually pretty much useless if someone really wants to get inside. There are devices that will slide those plastic zippers open and close them as if they were never opened. Just sayin....

Fact is, you can't expect anyone to replace something that can't be proved. You can't prove there was an IPad in there in the first place. Just like you can't prove cash was stolen.

Most of us learn that lesson before we are in our 70's.

It's unfortunate, but true.

What if Carnival replaced what a passenger said was stolen just based on their word?

Everyone would make a claim.

She gave her bags over to security at the New Orleans port of Carnival. She got on the ship, got her luggage, and her brand new IPAD was gone!!!

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

My mom ( and Aunt who is with her), are in their late 70's. What is wrong here!!

Carnival MUST step up and accept responsiblity. My sisters and I gave her this IPAD for her 78th birthday.... GEEZ.....

Very sorry to hear that and hope you get this resolved. But as previously said this is Port Authoritys fault not Carnivals at all and your dead wrong about RCL as they already proved recently they don't always do the right thing. If you go to a play in NY on Broadway and pay to park somewhere and your car is broke into...its not the Broadway Shows fault....but really goodluck as i feel really bad for your Mom. Also anything that expensive should definitely be in a carry-on.......i always carry on valuable items!

I dont know whats so hillarious about it. It is an unfortunate situation and grow up !!!!!!!!!

I agree Kamari. I am really saddened by people's responses on this thread.

Part of the reason we have a decline in society today is because people are quick to point their fingers at the victim. Whether or not she should have carried the IPAD with her is irrelevant, a crime is a crime. Sure we live and learn in life, and there might be things we can do to better protect ourselves, but when did people become so quick to excuse thieft?

I suppose the same people would also chastise a victim of pick-pocketing for carrying their wallet in their side pocket? Or a victim of assault for walking down a dark alley on their own?

To the OP, I sincerely hope you find a resolution to this issue. Definitely complain to Carnival as they need to know that they are contracting the services of unreliable staff. Good luck

I agree that the IPad should have never been put in the checked luggage but the fact is that someone opened the suitcase and stole it. I for one, don't want anybody touching my "stuff" including my unmentionables. I always lock my luggage and keep my valuables with me. The thought of someone rummaging through my personal belongings would bother me more.

What was funny about that other thread is the accusation that CCL strip searches passengers who claim something was stolen from them. Also that a cop instead of putting money in the safe they hide it in a baby's diaper.

BTW, the daughter stole it and had a grand time with it.

How about a link??

Part of the reason we have a decline in society today is because people are quick to point their fingers at the victim. Whether or not she should have carried the IPAD with her is irrelevant, a crime is a crime. Sure we live and learn in life, and there might be things we can do to better protect ourselves, but when did people become so quick to excuse thieft?

I suppose the same people would also chastise a victim of pick-pocketing for carrying their wallet in their side pocket? Or a victim of assault for walking down a dark alley on their own?

To me, part of the problem is that there's no concept of personal responsibility anymore -- everything is always someone else's fault. Yes theft is a crime, and I do feel bad her ipad got stolen -- they aren't cheap! But, I do think she should suck it up and accept that it was partly her fault for not carrying it on with her. She could've prevented this from happening...

I'm so sorry that your mom got her IPAD stolen, but I don't understand why she did not carry it on, I never put anything of value in my checked bag(even though it is locked) I always carry on valuble items.

I am sorry that your mom's property was lost. Did your mom register the ipad with the company when she received it? If she did she should call them and list it as stolen. Whom ever took it will have to set it up and give the serial number to have it hooked up to the internet and when they do it will come up as stolen. It may not get it back to you but a least the person that took it will not be able to use it and they will know who has the stolen product.

Archived