OMG!!! MY mom had her IPAD stolen!!!

lovetexas

Same crap, different day. "It's Carnival's fault, RCI would fix this". I don't think so, in either case.

Yep. Maybe not her but the trolls here are getting out of hand. This isn't CCL's fault and if she had walked onto a RCCL ship, she would be getting the same response from them.

It is a little bit saddening reading some of the replies here. Yes, part of the responsibility is the iPad owner's, but not solely hers. We all had our share of mistakes and learned from them.

If the porters and whoever hired them don't get part of the blame, our society will just continue going downhill. Maybe I'll just get a job as a porter, take things from the luggages I handle and I won't be held responsible? Isn't that just wrong?

At this point, it is Carnival that has info about the porter. So what's wrong with having the OP file a report with Carnival or contact them for help regarding the stolen iPad? If it was me, I wouldn't know who to contact, so I'll turn to Carnival for help. If nothing is done or if they are not made aware of such things happening, nothing will improve.

On RCI they step up to everything they are responsible for????

That's great to hear about RCI. What did you lose on RCI that they took responsibility for and paid for it?

My Ipad has a tracking system. Did your mother's ? I hope you find the Ipad....

Stealing is wrong and is not the fault of the victim ! This world is going downhill so quick for people are always making excuses for why it is alright to steal, murder and lie !!!!:mad:

At this point, it is Carnival that has info about the porter. So what's wrong with having the OP file a report with Carnival or contact them for help regarding the stolen iPad? If it was me, I wouldn't know who to contact, so I'll turn to Carnival for help. If nothing is done or if they are not made aware of such things happening, nothing will improve.

I have no problem with reporting the loss to Carnival, the port, and even the police. I have a problem with the attitude that it's all Carnival's fault and they need to fix it now. The OP is basically saying that they have no responsibility themselves.

If they came on and said that an iPad was missing from their luggage, who should they report it to for insurance purposes, they might have had a few people coming around and chastising them for putting it in their luggage, then telling them who to talk to. Instead, the OP thinks Carnival owes her mother an iPad.

I have no problem with reporting the loss to Carnival, the port, and even the police. I have a problem with the attitude that it's all Carnival's fault and they need to fix it now. The OP is basically saying that they have no responsibility themselves.

If they came on and said that an iPad was missing from their luggage, who should they report it to for insurance purposes, they might have had a few people coming around and chastising them for putting it in their luggage, then telling them who to talk to. Instead, the OP thinks Carnival owes her mother an iPad.

You are right, the OP's tone did seem like it's all Carnival's fault. I'm waiting to see her response about how RCI stepped up and took responsibility. I really wonder what they lost on RCI that RCI paid for.

I would be concerned that it would be broken while the porters were throwing my bags around...I would never put something like that in my shipped bags...Im sorry this happened...hope you have some kind of insurance just in case the port doesn't take responsibility:(

Oh my... we are frequent travelers.. my mom goes alot!!

She gave her bags over to security at the New Orleans port of Carnival. She got on the ship, got her luggage, and her brand new IPAD was gone!!!

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

I am soooooo mad I can barely type this!!

My mom ( and Aunt who is with her), are in their late 70's. What is wrong here!!

Carnival MUST step up and accept responsiblity. My sisters and I gave her this IPAD for her 78th birthday.... GEEZ.....

I will keep everyone informed!

I think this is very important to know when traveling on Carnival.

On RCI they step up to everything they are responsible for????

All I can say is..... where is our customer service here!@~!????

Oh yea... so mad forgot to say..

They are on the Triumph !!!!!!

Leaving any kind of electronics in checked luggage, whether you are flying or on a cruise is fraught with problems! We always make sure anything of value is in our carryon when traveling.

That is awful. I am impressed your mom has an Ipad to begin with :). Hopefully you can file a compliant with the port of new orleans or through travel insurance and get reimbursed. Just make sure on future cruises to carry it in her carryon. You just cant trust anyone nowadays.

My Ipad has a tracking system. Did your mother's ? I hope you find the Ipad....

Stealing is wrong and is not the fault of the victim ! This world is going downhill so quick for people are always making excuses for why it is alright to steal, murder and lie !!!!:mad:

All Ipads have the remote wipe feature and tracking. But you have to enable it and get the police to work with apple to find it. And then it only gives a general area. I am a big apple person.

You are right stealing is not the victims fault but seasoned travelers know that you do not leave valuables where they can be stolen. Any seasoned traveler knows that. I think most people know that. Common sense prevails. And I seen so many things that stated do not put valuables in checked bag. Yes it sucks it was taken but, the person putting it there has the personal responsibility for putting in a place it should not have been. Like the people who put water, soda, wine in there checked and it i does not get to there room. Personal responsibility!

Locking luggage is actually pretty much useless if someone really wants to get inside. There are devices that will slide those plastic zippers open and close them as if they were never opened. Just sayin....

But it takes longer, and a thief in a hurry is gonna go after your unlocked bag before going after my locked one. Jus' sayin'.

Part of the reason we have a decline in society today is because people are quick to point their fingers at the victim. Whether or not she should have carried the IPAD with her is irrelevant, a crime is a crime. Sure we live and learn in life, and there might be things we can do to better protect ourselves, but when did people become so quick to excuse thieft?
IMO a bigger reason for societal decline is the absolute refusal of many to accept ANY responsibility for their own lives. Yes, bad things can happen. If you do nothing to prevent them happening, you ARE at fault as well as the perpetrator. No one is excusing "thieft". But we're not excusing naïveté or hubris, either.

When you set up your email account on the iPad, it also asks you to set up the MobileMe! service...which is a locating / remote wipe service. I'm asssuming it's not set up?

In addition, if she had a gmail account set up on it, she can to to "mobile.google.com/sync" and disable email/calendars on that device (you must do this from a mobile device). This will erase contacts/calendars on the device.

Did she have the security code (4-digit PIN) to unlock the device? If the incorrect PIN is entered 10x the iPad is automatically wiped clean.

I sat in a board/bored room and was laughed at because I was the only one that set up these security features. If mine gets lost, I feel secure in that I will get it back, or at least my identity wouldn't be stolen from it.

Bingo! I set mine up as soon as I purchased my IPAD. Hope OP did the same.

***LIKE*** I totally agree with this post. As bad as I feel for the OP and her mom, part of the responsibility falls on the mom. Putting a $600 Ipad in checked luggage was asking for it to get stolen. A hard lesson learned. Carnival is not responsible, nor are airlines or other cruise lines. It happens all the time. There are many dishonest people out there looking to make a quick buck.

Oh, and by the way, RCI would not re-imburse you. Ask my dad who lost a $450 camera the same way while sailing on the Majesty of the Seas. He too learned a valuable lesson. NEVER put anything of value in a checked back. Carry on only.

By the way, has the OP responded at all to this thread? I read most of the pages and didn't see any replies by her. Just curious.

But it takes longer, and a thief in a hurry is gonna go after your unlocked bag before going after my locked one. Jus' sayin'.

IMO a bigger reason for societal decline is the absolute refusal of many to accept ANY responsibility for their own lives. Yes, bad things can happen. If you do nothing to prevent them happening, you ARE at fault as well as the perpetrator. No one is excusing "thieft". But we're not excusing naïveté or hubris, either.

Locked or Unlocked it only takes SECONDS to be opened.

Watch this eye opener video ..

Locked or Unlocked it only takes SECONDS to be opened.
:rolleyes:

Be that as it may, I've never had anything stolen from my locked bags.

But I still buy insurance.

Leave yours unlocked if you like. Leave your cars unlocked with the keys in 'em, too! It'll save those speedy thieves having to bust out a window and break the ignition. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of a young friend who upon arriving in Rome handed the van driver her luggage and purse, she climbs in the van while the driver put her stuff in the back supposedly. When she got to her hotel room the purse was missing her passport and $300. This was a prepaid van, she had no reason to look through her purse when the charming young Italian gave her luggage back.

If it's valuable KEEP IT ON YOUR PERSON AT ALL TIMES.

It doesn't matter what I put in my suitcase. If someone wants in my suitcase, they will need to have me present. There is usually nothing of value in my car, but I always lock it, too.

EXACTLY my point! It DOES NOT matter whether you lock your luggage or not. ;)

EXACTLY.....it almost seems like no one wants to be responsible for ANYTHING anymore...it's so much easier to blame someone else. -- kids are a mess, stupid & ill-mannered, well, teachers should have done a better job, and so on.

Archived