Norwegian Jade - Greek Isles/Croatia/Turkey

hazeleyez3

The Jade has 2 itineraries that appeal to us. Both are similar in price (including air), and only a week a part.

A little background: Mid-30s, no kids, like sight seeing/history/exploring. We are not beach people.

Norwegian Jade – 7 days

Leave from Venice. Actual ports are Dubrovnik, Croatia; Athens, Greece; Izmir, Turkey; and Split, Croatia. There are 2 sea days – one after Dubrovnik, and one after Turkey.

Norwegian Jade – 7 days

Leave from Venice. Actual ports are Corfu, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Mykonos, Greece; and Katakolon, Greece. There are 2 sea days - the first day and last days

Anyone have feedback on these cruises (I have read some of the reviews, but I know that some people have additional little tid bits. I have also posted the question on the Greek Isles board).

Some of the questions that have come to mind are:

• Thoughts on Croatia or Turkey?
  • April/May a decent time to go?
  • Comparisons between ports (other than Athens)

We have done the first one (with Croatia, Athens, and Turkey) in late May of this year. Great sailing interesting ports - we had been to both Athens and Izmir a number of times before, but it was our first visit to Croatia. We have also been to most of the other sailing's ports earlier as well. We are similar people, a bit older, usually sail alone or with our older kids along (early twenties), or occasionally with other family members or friends, we don't really do beaches (not me anyway), love cultural sightseeing and history.

In comparing the ports, I would say that there is definitely more variety in the Croatia sailing over the Greek Islands. If you have never been to Ephessus near Izmir, it should definitely be on your must-see list. We found Croatia to be absolutely beautiful - one of the prettiest countries we have ever visited (and we are inching up on the 100 countries mark). Culture is definitely more varied on the Croatia itinerary, as well as history. We loved the Greek Islands, but they are small, somewhat similar (although Corfu is not like the others), and they were a bit more of a "beach" destination, depending on when you go. There is definitely sightseeing and culture/history in all ports, don't get me wrong, it's just that the Croatia and Turkey additions add a bit more "variation".

April/May is the perfect time for either cruise - not too hot but should be warm enough for short sleeves in all ports (Athens is BRUTALLY hot in the summer, as is Izmir and usually the Islands as well).

If there is anything specific you want to know I'd be happy to answer. Hope this helps!

Robin

I can only offer opinion of one of the cruises, since our Jade trip (Athens to Istanbul with an overnight in Alexandria didn't include any stops in Croatia). That being said, if you have a chance to go to Santorni you really must. It is the most breathtaking place I have ever seen. We enjoyed our other greek ports but Santorini was the highlight IMHO. I agree with Fishbait, you can't ask for a better time of year to go. We even got to spend time on the beach in Mykonos and got in the water...but only for a minute, the water was still pretty cold there on May 2nd.

The Jade has 2 itineraries that appeal to us. Both are similar in price (including air), and only a week a part.

A little background: Mid-30s, no kids, like sight seeing/history/exploring. We are not beach people.

Norwegian Jade – 7 days

Leave from Venice. Actual ports are Dubrovnik, Croatia; Athens, Greece; Izmir, Turkey; and Split, Croatia. There are 2 sea days – one after Dubrovnik, and one after Turkey.

Norwegian Jade – 7 days

Leave from Venice. Actual ports are Corfu, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Mykonos, Greece; and Katakolon, Greece. There are 2 sea days - the first day and last days

Anyone have feedback on these cruises (I have read some of the reviews, but I know that some people have additional little tid bits. I have also posted the question on the Greek Isles board).

Some of the questions that have come to mind are:

• Thoughts on Croatia or Turkey?
  • April/May a decent time to go?
  • Comparisons between ports (other than Athens)

We did both last July on the Gem. While is was two separate cruises, we booked it as one.

July was busy and hot. I have been to Greece in late March, and opine that you would find those ports to have nice weather in April or May. You might avoid the Summer crowds.

Croatia, Dubrovnik was special. You can do the city on your own, without a guide or on an excursion. Walk the walls, visit the Monastery and the Museums near the town hall.

Split was interesting and the city of Trogir about an hour away is worth taking an excursion there as well as Split and Diocletian's Palace.

Turkey is great. Ephesus is worth going on an excursions, which NCL offers at not bad prices.

Santorini and Corfu were my favorite islands. Make the most of your time on both islands. We took NCL's excursions.

Corfu, take the one that goes to the Palestrina Monastery. Santorini, take the one called Oia and Winery, you will see most of the island.

Crete-Knossos was great, too little time there.

Mykonos, you can do on your own, unless you want to go to Delos. Even then there is a ferry to Delos that is cheap.

Athens is great if you don't have a strike problem. Strikes affected our visit to the Acropolis, but we still enjoyed going there. In April or May there will be fewer people there.

Venice is great as well, suggest flying in a couple of days ahead of time.

We did these two itineraries back-to-back this summer (very hot!)

The Croatia/Athens/Izmir itinerary was much the best in our opinion - more variety - more interesting historically - better distribution of sea days.

We are not beach-types so the Greek Islands was not so much 'up our street'.

Whichever one you do (back-to-back is good :D), you also get the sailaway through Venice which is awesome.

Thanks for the input everyone...gives me something to take back to my hubby and discuss (he hates doing the research).

It would be wonderful to do the B2B unfortunately, I don't have enough vacation left for it (already planned a land trip to Paris in September)

Croatia without a doubt !!! It is the most beautiful country and if you enjoy sightseeing it is full of history. We live in the UK and have visited all of the Greek islands on the trip several times, fantastic for a beach holiday but not terribly interesting for sightseeing, with the exception of Santorini, which is outstanding . We went to Dubrovnik on a cruise and loved it so much that we went back to Croatia for a two week holiday last year. Loved it so much!!

We went in June and it was hot, hot, hot!!! Dubrovnik in particular, it is a walled city and it really becomes unbearable in such hot weather. May, I think would be more reliable for weather. Our daughter went there in April this year and it rained a lot, the Greek Islands are also dodgy in April I think. But the weather is a bit odd everywhere these days, so who can really tell for sure!!!

I hope this helps a little.

Sorry I meant to also add, that if you do end up going to Athens, whatever you do there, make sure that you get to the new (ish) museum , It is opposite the Acropolis and is truly outstanding. Celebrity did not include it in their trips , don't know why, but it was the highlight of our cruise. Don't bother with the cruise ship trips and just pick up a taxi at the port. Hoards of taxi drivers outside, get them to drop you there and when you have visited the museum walk accross the road to the Acropolis and you will do everything at your own pace, and not be herded around in crowds!!! We had a fantastic day there, walked down the road had a great Greek meal and some Ouzo and then caught a taxi back again to the ship. Only about 10/15 minutes away from the port I think.

Everything that has been said is absolutely correct. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Mediterranean and can back up everything the other posters have told you.

My personal favorite is the Greek Isles, so I would go on that itinerary if it were me. BUT since you say you like sightseeing and history, absolutely do the itinerary that includes Croatia. The Greek Isles cruise is fabulous, but would be more "beachy" - there is still some great history, but it is more of a fun and sun itinerary. You'll adore Croatia, Athens is fascinating and Izmir will give you the opportunity to go to Ephesus, which are remarkably intact ruins. Too bad you'll have to miss Santorini, which is one of the most amazing ports, but save that for next time. You will can't go wrong either way. Both itineraries are great, but the Croatia itinerary fits more of the type of trip you are looking for.

Michael

Sorry I meant to also add, that if you do end up going to Athens, whatever you do there, make sure that you get to the new (ish) museum , It is opposite the Acropolis and is truly outstanding. Celebrity did not include it in their trips , don't know why, but it was the highlight of our cruise. Don't bother with the cruise ship trips and just pick up a taxi at the port. Hoards of taxi drivers outside, get them to drop you there and when you have visited the museum walk accross the road to the Acropolis and you will do everything at your own pace, and not be herded around in crowds!!! We had a fantastic day there, walked down the road had a great Greek meal and some Ouzo and then caught a taxi back again to the ship. Only about 10/15 minutes away from the port I think.

Forget the cheating taxis at the port in Piraeus. Take the Metro to Athens.

Archived