Plug adaptor needed?

sippican

I usually get one or two narrow plug adapters (don't get big universal ones as they don't fit into recessed plugs) similar to one below http://www.1ststoptravelstore.com/LNC-plugsgrounded/adapter_plug_Europe_Asia_Israel_electric.htm and a 3 plug splitter http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/207488294/Adapter_UL_three_outlets_Model_NO.html Both items are sold here (Toronto) in dollar stores; $2 each. Most chargers are dual voltage and will work fine; if in doubt check the label should read 100-240V

You ONLY need the converter if your electronics power supply isn't dual-voltage. Just double-check all that you are bringing - most are dual nowadays. If it has a power rating of 110-2xx (can be 230-240) You'll just need the cheap adaptors. You might want to buy both the non-grounded (most common) and a grounded adaptor.

You ONLY need the converter if your electronics power supply isn't dual-voltage. Just double-check all that you are bringing - most are dual nowadays. If it has a power rating of 110-2xx (can be 230-240) You'll just need the cheap adaptors. You might want to buy both the non-grounded (most common) and a grounded adaptor.

This is correct. Most items no longer need converters.

Keith

That's what I was told by the lovely man from Greece who waited on me. He also said the grounded style frequently does not fit into the receptacles as it is bigger than the standard non-grounded. The items we may need to recharge are all dual-voltage.

That's what I was told by the lovely man from Greece who waited on me. He also said the grounded style frequently does not fit into the receptacles as it is bigger than the standard non-grounded. The items we may need to recharge are all dual-voltage.

Yup, pretty much the types of electronics most folks travel with now (chargers for camera batteries, cell phones, laptops, etc.) are dual voltage, so no converters are needed. One less thing to schlep! :)

BTW, depending on how many things you have to charge/plug in, you should consider a small power strip or Belkin mini-surge protector because you may find yourself short on outlets (particularly since you'll have to use a converter).

Have a great trip!

I forgot my us adaptor last time we cruised but managed to buy a europe one onboard as ship had previously been over here (we have a 3 pin system in the uk so you need adaptors everywhere you go).

Turned out not to be a problem as our cabin had both us and euro sockets so having a euro adaptor might be a plus wherever you are cruising as you'll have more sockets to use.

The grounded adapter isn't a requirement. I just always have one in my bag - it takes up very little space. I do also carry a Monster Outlets To-Go 4 plug power strip. It's tiny, but gives me 4 plugs. The cable part actually plugs into one of the 4 plugs for travel, so it packs neatly. Then, I only need one adapter to go on the power strip and just plug the rest in as I do at home.

Archived