Autobus vs RENFE from Barcelona Airport?

bottomfeeder

The Rick Steves book, as well as most posters on this site, mention the Autobus as a great alternative to a taxi for transport from BCN into town. However, when I looked at a Barcelona site (barcelona-tourist-guide.com) that gave Metro maps etc., it indicated that there is a Metro stop (actually it is called RENFE and is part of the regional railway network that connects to the Metro and the T10 cards ARE valid for it) at the airport that looks just as easy to use as the Autobus.

Is there something about the RENFE/Metro that I don't realize that makes it a bad alternative? We'll be getting in early the morning of our cruise and it seems that taking the Metro, storing our luggage at one of the main stations that has a luggage check, and then taking the Metro on to La Sagrada Familia is a good plan for us. What am I missing?

The Rick Steves book, as well as most posters on this site, mention the Autobus as a great alternative to a taxi for transport from BCN into town. However, when I looked at a Barcelona site (barcelona-tourist-guide.com) that gave Metro maps etc., it indicated that there is a Metro stop (actually it is called RENFE and is part of the regional railway network that connects to the Metro and the T10 cards ARE valid for it) at the airport that looks just as easy to use as the Autobus.

Is there something about the RENFE/Metro that I don't realize that makes it a bad alternative? We'll be getting in early the morning of our cruise and it seems that taking the Metro, storing our luggage at one of the main stations that has a luggage check, and then taking the Metro on to La Sagrada Familia is a good plan for us. What am I missing?

It might work for you, but if you have a lot of heavy baggage to lug on the Metro, it may not be simple, especially if you have stairs to climb.

There is a left luggage locker facility near where the Aerobus route ends (Plaça Catalunya).

http://bcnshop.barcelonaturisme.com/ECV2TBCN/Front/BCNShop/Sales/Disponibilitat-Producte/_vf-SMlY1yItM-U_l9RgLJgsyU0uRJi84SkjXUR4b-U-zJmDPC9XC68I0OROInI2CXF7Z2Rd0ln1TYnE4lFKvi1HFlG2S_LZ2b9QTOjGKO4M

I find the bus and easier way into the city than going by rail. Less walking, less schlepping of luggage, etc.

Please note that I have not used any of the luggage facilities in Barcelona. I do not arrive the day of cruises (certainly not in a city I like as much as I do Barcelona).

Yes, take the train (15-20 min ride), go to Sants & leave the luggage in the storage lockers there. After that you can go anywhere on metro. If you going back with luggage to ship or hotel from Sants take the cab. It's about 10-15 min ride to dock; about 15 euros or so.

I have never felt happy dragging lots of luggage onto the metro in any new city!! Even in cities I know well I don't do it. The Aerobus is much more relaxing and easier to use.

Most of the Barcelona Metro stations have elevators (although they're tiny); and dragging luggage on was simple; I'd take a local subway system over taxis almost every time.

One place where the bus is a huge improvement over the metro though is Madrid, where there's a direct Barajas Airport<->Atocha Station bus; vs a longish metro ride involving two changes

We are not talking about dragging luggage in Metro. Train from BCN to Sants is not Metro; getting to train station is easy and there is lots of space for luggage on the train. Also that train is cheaper than the Aerobus. After arriving at Sants luggage can be left in lockers at a very reasonable cost in a secure 24/7 facility and then travelers can take metro luggage free.

You will most likely be flying into BCN's Terminal 1. The Autobus picks up right at T1, and during the day leaves every 5 minutes, if not sooner.

To take the train, you have to take a (free) shuttle bus from T1 to T2. The shuttle buses run frequently, but take 10-15 minutes to get to T2. At T2, you've got about a 5-10 minute shlep with your luggage to get from where the bus lets off to the train station. You can buy a T10 card at the station, which is good for the ride into several Barcelona station. Trains leave about every half hour.

As you can see, the main downside to the train is time. You need the time to get to the train station, then a potential wait for the next train. The train ride itself is comfortable - plently of space when I took at and a shelf above your head for luggage.

The plus for taking the train is that it is cheap (though the bus isn't that expensive) and I found the people nicer than the Autobus folks. The Autobus also was a bit of a pain for me to buy tickets, as they wouldn't give change for a EUR 50, nor take American credit cards.

Personally, I think it boils down to where in Barcenlona you are going. If going someplace near where the Autobus lets out, the bus makes the most sense. If you are going someplace near one of the train stations, the train makes sense if your luggage isn't hard to carry and if you aren't in a huge hurry.

Thanks all! I think you have me decided that I either do the train/metro thing, or if we think we'll be too exhausted after the overnight flight to do the sort of thinking that would be required for that I'll sign up for Celebrity's Barcelona tour/transfer that would give me at least a stop to view the outside of Sagrada Familia with a guide to describe it (as well as driving/walking through some of the other areas of interest to tourists, which would be good for my son who's not been to Barcelona before.)

The ship's tour would cost more, wouldn't include the inside of the cathedral, and we'd have to wait at the airport for a couple hours for it to start most probably...but it would definitely be easier. I"m leaving it to my son to decide, and I told him to read this thread! :)

I flew into T2 a couple of weeks ago and was going to take the train. It was about a 10 minutue walk t

o the station, easy to buy the t10 metro tickets(8.25 euros).

Got through the turnstile and realized they were doing track work and had shuttle buses to Sants ( not sure how long that is for) . Did not take longer then 30 minutes. Transferred to the metro(not sure if it was another ride off the t10 metro ticket as I only used 7 rides). A few stairs but if you only have 1 bag not a big deal. Metro in Barcelona is wonderful, clean, well signed and a metro car every 3-4 minutes. I understand There is luggage storage at Sants so the train option will drop you off right there.

On the return to the airport I did take the Aeroport bus, as I was flying from T1 and it was early Sunday morning .

Both options were easy, but if I arrived in T1

I would take the Aeroport bus.

Archived