What is the worst Cruise line that you have sailed on

caribbean sailor

We have been on several cruises and we love it. Our last one; however, was a nightmare. It was on the Royal Caribbean Sea of Enchantment that sailed on Oct 28, 2006. A passenger from a previous cruise stayed on board and broke into our cabin stealing passports and ID. Security found him wearing one of my husband's shirts. It really ruined the rest of the cruise because we were worried about identity theft and we couldn't get the ship to help us in any way. We wanted to cancel our credit cards and needed a satellite phone but they wouldn't give us one. We were helpless. We couldn't even get them to acknowledge that the incident happened. When we got close to port we called the police department and they referred us to customs. At that point we were determined not to leave the ship until we had something in writing for our insurance company. When customs got involved they were horrified at the treatment that we had received and they "made" the ship give us a written acknowledgment of what happened before we left the ship. It was very stressful. It was like the cruise line wanted to keep it all really quiet. When we got home we didn't have any identity theft problems and we didn't think that we would ever want to cruise again so we didn't ask Royal for a replacement cruise as the Customs officials said we should do. Kind of wish we would have pursued it now because now that time has gone by we would like to cruise again. By the way, we never heard what happened to the guy who stole our stuff and stayed in our room. I suspect that there are a lot of things like this that happen on the cruise ships that we don't hear about because they try to keep it really quiet. AND, i think this is the same cruise where another boat docked near ours got loose at the dock causing a big dent across the side of our boat.

I wouldn't let an incident like this stop you from cruising though. Just be aware that things do happen. Next time we won't trust the safes in the rooms and I won't bring good jewelry etc with us.

By the way, we were told that the guy that lived in our room when we were in port snuck in when the maid was cleaning the room. They think that when she was cleaning the balcony he slipped in and hid in the bathroom until she left. He shaved in our sink, took a shower, put on our clothes etc. we found his stinky dirty clothes under our bed.

I am curious as to how he was able to stay on the boat. I do know that it took forever to get off that ship because they tightened up their procedures as we were exiting the ship.

The ONLY thing Royal Caribbean did for us was have my husband's shirt cleaned!!! Wouldn't you think that they would try to do EVERYTHING to make up for the lack of security? No, it was like they didn't want to acknowledge it in any way in order to limit their liability.

We have been on several cruises and we love it. Our last one; however, was a nightmare. It was on the Royal Caribbean Sea of Enchantment that sailed on Oct 28, 2006. A passenger from a previous cruise stayed on board and broke into our cabin stealing passports and ID. Security found him wearing one of my husband's shirts. It really ruined the rest of the cruise because we were worried about identity theft and we couldn't get the ship to help us in any way. We wanted to cancel our credit cards and needed a satellite phone but they wouldn't give us one. We were helpless. We couldn't even get them to acknowledge that the incident happened. When we got close to port we called the police department and they referred us to customs. At that point we were determined not to leave the ship until we had something in writing for our insurance company. When customs got involved they were horrified at the treatment that we had received and they "made" the ship give us a written acknowledgment of what happened before we left the ship. It was very stressful. It was like the cruise line wanted to keep it all really quiet. When we got home we didn't have any identity theft problems and we didn't think that we would ever want to cruise again so we didn't ask Royal for a replacement cruise as the Customs officials said we should do. Kind of wish we would have pursued it now because now that time has gone by we would like to cruise again. By the way, we never heard what happened to the guy who stole our stuff and stayed in our room. I suspect that there are a lot of things like this that happen on the cruise ships that we don't hear about because they try to keep it really quiet. AND, i think this is the same cruise where another boat docked near ours got loose at the dock causing a big dent across the side of our boat.

I wouldn't let an incident like this stop you from cruising though. Just be aware that things do happen. Next time we won't trust the safes in the rooms and I won't bring good jewelry etc with us.

By the way, we were told that the guy that lived in our room when we were in port snuck in when the maid was cleaning the room. They think that when she was cleaning the balcony he slipped in and hid in the bathroom until she left. He shaved in our sink, took a shower, put on our clothes etc. we found his stinky dirty clothes under our bed.

I am curious as to how he was able to stay on the boat. I do know that it took forever to get off that ship because they tightened up their procedures as we were exiting the ship.

The ONLY thing Royal Caribbean did for us was have my husband's shirt cleaned!!! Wouldn't you think that they would try to do EVERYTHING to make up for the lack of security? No, it was like they didn't want to acknowledge it in any way in order to limit their liability.

Wait. You're saying a stowaway lived in your room while you were in ports? He snuck in while steward was in room and they never saw him, day after day? And you think there was a ship collision? Is this a joke?

momfmeg, RCCL stopped building Radiance and Voyager class ships because they decided to go with larger ones--Freedom, Liberty, Oasis, Allure,eg. Then Celebrity followed suit with Solstice, Equinox, and so on. DH & I started out on Explorer OS, a Voyager class ship, which at the time was the largest class in the world. We love it and also Adventure. I don't know if I'd want to sail anything larger. Definitely don't want to sail on anything smaller than Celebrity's C-class.

I love the Radiance class (Jewel) size and the Celebrity M-class (Summit, Constellation) and loved C-class Galaxy and Mercury, which are no longer with X. Wouldn't mind trying Century sometime. There won't be anymore middle-sized ships built, so I am glad the remaining ones are being refurbished.

I got a kick out of a woman (first-timer) on an excursion with us in the Mex. Riv. 5 yrs ago being amazed at how HUGE Mercury was. I told her that it was actually smaller than a lot of other ships and she thought I was kidding, lol.

11 days till I leave!! :D

momfmeg, RCCL stopped building Radiance and Voyager class ships because they decided to go with larger ones--Freedom, Liberty, Oasis, Allure,eg. Then Celebrity followed suit with Solstice, Equinox, and so on. DH & I started out on Explorer OS, a Voyager class ship, which at the time was the largest class in the world. We love it and also Adventure. I don't know if I'd want to sail anything larger. Definitely don't want to sail on anything smaller than Celebrity's C-class.

I love the Radiance class (Jewel) size and the Celebrity M-class (Summit, Constellation) and loved C-class Galaxy and Mercury, which are no longer with X. Wouldn't mind trying Century sometime. There won't be anymore middle-sized ships built, so I am glad the remaining ones are being refurbished.

I got a kick out of a woman (first-timer) on an excursion with us in the Mex. Riv. 5 yrs ago being amazed at how HUGE Mercury was. I told her that it was actually smaller than a lot of other ships and she thought I was kidding, lol.

11 days till I leave!! :D

I don't like big ships either-but that is the way it it is going-at least the Solstice-(our next cruise) is half the size of Oasis. My family did their best to convince me to go on NCL Epic which holds between 4000 and 5000 PAX-so not as big as Oasis-but still way too big. I said no way-LOL!

We loved the Connie and will probably do a 4 day on her next Jan. We also cruised on the Zenith back in 2006 before she left the fleet. We really liked her also.

Carnival was the worset by far. The food was sub par, entertainment was average and after midnight you couldn,t get any food at all. The ship was the Glory. Still there is no such thing as a bad cruise. ;)

loved the Glory, we took her three times. We had grill food, pizza and room service many times after midnight.

We know he was in our room at least one day while we were in port. We were told that the maid cleans a room in a certain order. She starts with the bathroom and works her way around the room. Our bathroom was near the door. When she made her way to the balcony he slipped in and hid in the bathroom that she had already cleaned. This is the story that the cruiseline told us. I suppose it is possible that he used the maid as an accomplice but they said they didn't believe she had a part in it.

Also, I have pictures of the damage to the boat when it was struck by another in port. It was quite an impressive dent and scrape along the side of the boat. We were in port when it happened and found out about it from some friends that were on the boat. I just found a pic of it for you to see.

281957060_jamaicatrip088.jpg.aa6ee3d3dffbea837de3d289256697fa.jpg

713023425_jamaicatrip087.jpg.2b507f9549821e0ce8b916edb5dcd180.jpg

Worst cruise we were on was Explorer of the Seas. It wasn't the ship per se (nor the cruise line) - it was the actual cruise - Nov 2006. 900 kids were on the ship during a 9 night repositioning cruise out of NJ. The ship does not usually have that many kids early in Nov so they were unprepared. In addition, some parents abdicated their responsibility for their kids ('as long as the kids aren't bothering me, I don't care where they are'). Well - while they weren't 'bothering' their parents, the pre-teens were bothering other passengers - putting garbage cans in the elevators; pressing all the buttons then sitting on the stesps to block people from walking; taking food from the buffet (piled very high on their plates) then dumping the food in the garbage; using plates as frisbees and throwing them overboard; vandalizing the teen disco (closed it for 3 days for repairs); throwing water bottles at the people sitting at the pool (hit a woman on the head - she was fine)... Captain had a meeting with 40 families; 3 families were kicked off the cruise because of the actions of their kids; several kids were confined to their cabins with security outside the rooms.

When we returned, we called the TA. We were the third passengers to call (and it was only 9 in the morning). Everyone sent letters to RCCL through our TA. We were given $200/person vouchers toward our next cruise.

I don't know if I'd say it's the worst cruise LINE for me, because like the previous poster stated, you can't judge a line from one or two cruises, BUT, I just got off the ship yesterday from the WORST cruise!

Carnival Inspiration 3 night from Long Beach to Ensenada. I've done this itinerary a ton of times, but never a 3 night, always a 4 nighter.

The food was blah, dining service was great. Buffet food was glamorized school cafeteria food. But there is one incident that took the cake. I don't hold it against Carnival, but a female bartender in the atrium was so incredibly rude and sarcastic. We just wanted 2 cups of ice and my friend who is from another country and has a rather higher pitch voice said "Thank youuu" and the bartender looked at us with such a rude look and said in a really sarcastic tone "you're very welcome!!!!" My friend was hurt so I said to the lady "she's only trying to be nice." and the bartender said "ohhhh! You're just trying to be nice!!!!!" I was so shocked I forgot to get her name! :mad: Darn!

I am definetly taking the survey when I get it from Carnival and letting them know about this incident because NO ONE should be treated that way.:(

Crown Cruiseline - now defunct. Our cabin steward only cleaned our cabin once a day. Food was ok, but nothing memorable and same with the service. They ran out of food on the afternoon buffet. I really don't remember a whole lot from that cruise, except when the Captain came down and asked us to close our windows because our lights were reflecting off the bridge above us. Every other cruise there was something memorable.

• 3 months later...

We took 2 Carnival cruises and were far from impressed each time, ok to be honest we were realllllly disappointed. It felt more like a "starter cruise" kinda like a hint of a taste what a REAL cruise would be. We decided to try it a second time to give benefit of the doubt, but fool me a THIRD time?!...nuh uh! Which is not to say we didn't enjoy ourselves, hubby and I have offbeat senses of humor and found ourselves laughing away our discomfort safely in eachothers arms.

We took 2 Carnival cruises and were far from impressed each time, ok to be honest we were realllllly disappointed. It felt more like a "starter cruise" kinda like a hint of a taste what a REAL cruise would be. We decided to try it a second time to give benefit of the doubt, but fool me a THIRD time?!...nuh uh! Which is not to say we didn't enjoy ourselves, hubby and I have offbeat senses of humor and found ourselves laughing away our discomfort safely in eachothers arms.

I liked Carnival okay when I was 10-14 years younger and also had not taken a better line-LOL! So I know what you mean. I liked the excitement/party atmosphere when I was younger.

Our first HAL cruise was to Alaska and that cruise was DEAD with nothing going on after dinner-so I was ready to cruise Carnival again! I was 45 and felt like a baby in comparison to most of the other PAX- LOL! However, a laid back cruise like HAL is a much better fit for me now! I tried another HAL cruise 4 years ago and loved it. My only gripe with them is their smoking policy is not strict enough for me as a non smoker.

I am not crazy about huge ships-so I am not ready yet for NCL Epic or RCI Oasis of the Seas. I did not care for RCI Mariner of the Seas when we cruised her in 2005 and was not much happier with Caribbean Princess in 2006-I liked the CP only slightly better than MOS. (not sure I will ever be ready for a monster ship actually-although hubby and daughter may convince me to try) However I do like the older RCI radiance class, I will go on that class any ole time.

I also liked the NCL Pearl-but I was not too crazy about the NCL Sun and Sky. After 2 dud NCL cruises in a roll, I am not in a hurry to cruise NCL again either, but if I do- it will be the jewel class of NCL since I did like the Pearl.

Oh how sad-I have enjoyed every cruise I have taken. Some cruises less than others,(aspects I disliked) and some lines I prefer not to cruise again-but it was always better than staying home and I must add-after spending a day precruise at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure-(and being reminded why I hate theme parks) that the worst cruise is better than a day (the horrors of spending a week at a theme park instead-LOL-that is when I wished I stayed at home-or even at the hotel) at a theme park.

A week at a theme park would be the most amazing vacation ever! Even a day at a theme park is amazing!

Regarding the topic at hand, I've never taken a bad cruise. :)

A week at a theme park would be the most amazing vacation ever! Even a day at a theme park is amazing!

Regarding the topic at hand, I've never taken a bad cruise. :)

I can guess that you are considerably younger than me-at well over 50 plus and actually kissing 60-nope theme parks no longer have an allure for me-LOL! believe me your time will come if you live long enough.

BTW-before this last theme park visit-it had been 15 years for me-15 years ago I still loved it-except I told hubby never in summer again-so we go in December this time-oh boy-it is more than heat I have trouble with now-LOL!

I can guess that you are considerably younger than me-at well over 50 plus and actually kissing 60-nope theme parks no longer have an allure for me-LOL! believe me your time will come if you live long enough.

BTW-before this last theme park visit-it had been 15 years for me-15 years ago I still loved it-except I told hubby never in summer again-so we go in December this time-oh boy-it is more than heat I have trouble with now-LOL!

I'm 27, and I will love amusement parks for my entire life! They're one of my most favorite things.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I always say it's not the cruise line but the ship. Worst to date are the Explorer of the Seas and the (for those who remember) Song of America, both RCCL! Horrible crowding and not enough lounges or outdoor areas. Next up in the Carnival Dream, another one with way too many people and not enough space!

I'm 27, and I will love amusement parks for my entire life! They're one of my most favorite things.

Try to remember this attitude at two time in the future -- say at 20 year intervals: I predict that at age 47 you will wonder if anyone remembers your saying it, and at 67 you will happily pay cash money to not have to spend time in an amustment park.

Try to remember this attitude at two time in the future -- say at 20 year intervals: I predict that at age 47 you will wonder if anyone remembers your saying it, and at 67 you will happily pay cash money to not have to spend time in an amustment park.

Thanks for the laugh!!! I'm nearing 57, and I was thinking that the other day! I was trying to remember when I quit liking parks, roller coasters, etc. We live near Hershey, and I couldn't tell you when we were there last, however, I'd gladly go to Disney World!

P.S. Our worst cruise was on The Carnivale with Carnival. That was back in 1989. We had an awful inside cabin. No tv, bench style cots(can't call them beds), When we'd go to our cabin, we called it the dungeon. We haven't sailed Carnival since, but we're looking at The Glory for a NE/Canada cruise in Sept. We have sailed Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Disney, NCL. The NCL Star was a beautiful ship 10 yrs. ago, but if I recall, the food sucked, except in the specialty dining, which was near excellent! We loved the bathroom in the balcony cabin. I think when we're used to having things a certain way, and we get used to a level of service, it's tough to keep an open mind.

Thanks for the laugh!!! I'm nearing 57, and I was thinking that the other day! I was trying to remember when I quit liking parks, roller coasters, etc. We live near Hershey, and I couldn't tell you when we were there last, however, I'd gladly go to Disney World!

I can't remember when I came to detest driving, let alone theme parks and thrill rides.

Anyway, this may be the most bizarre thread I have seen.

:confused:

Never really been on a bad cruise but our least favourite line is also NCL. We took it simply because it did Hawaii without all the sea days. Food was mediocre, service was mediocre although the shows were quite good.

same here, we went on the NCL because we wanted the best deal for Hawaii and it was so disappointing!!!!!

:confused:

same here, we went on the NCL because we wanted the best deal for Hawaii and it was so disappointing!!!!!

That reminds me of a Gizenslaw Brothers joke. We wanted to go to Hawaii in the worst way, and the travel agent said that would be NCL.

I've never been on NCL, and the original joke was about an airline, but it's one of my favorite jokes, and just sharing.

Famous last words hun. I loved theme parks too when I was your age. I used to drive from Augusta, GA to Atlanta, Ga to go to six Flags-(2 hour plus drive) and then drive back home late that evening. No way could I do that now.

Archived