What is the worst Cruise line that you have sailed on

caribbean sailor

One of the early NCL all-Hawaii cruises. A bunch of staff had just quit, they were already short on staff, the cabin was dirty when we came on board, it took them about 5 hours to get the toilets flushing, and staff were rude and disorganized even when passengers were being polite. We had had better experiences on NCL in the past, but that certainly made us choose other lines, all things being equal.

Our first Princess cruise featured a great deal of jocular sexism combined with pushing booze on public announcements (the idea of getting a woman drunk and taking sexual advantage figured prominently), our tablemates made anti-Semitic comments, and several crew were calling each other by racial slurs in public areas. We asked Princess to get back to us about these concerns and they never did.

One of the early NCL all-Hawaii cruises. A bunch of staff had just quit, they were already short on staff, the cabin was dirty when we came on board, it took them about 5 hours to get the toilets flushing, and staff were rude and disorganized even when passengers were being polite. We had had better experiences on NCL in the past, but that certainly made us choose other lines, all things being equal.

Our first Princess cruise featured a great deal of jocular sexism combined with pushing booze on public announcements (the idea of getting a woman drunk and taking sexual advantage figured prominently), our tablemates made anti-Semitic comments, and several crew were calling each other by racial slurs in public areas. We asked Princess to get back to us about these concerns and they never did.

Sounds like a horrible combination of events on these cruises. I'm really hoping these occurred a number of years back, and you have had better experiences more recently?

NCL Jade, more like a ferry than a cruise and if my friends hadnt booked a dining table on freestyle dining, we would never have got into a dining room :mad:

Have been on the Jade this summer and was very happy. Food and service in the main dining rooms was excellent. We were a group of six and never had to wait for a table. In comparison to the price of the cruise nothing that I would complain about.

Have been on the Jade this summer and was very happy. Food and service in the main dining rooms was excellent. We were a group of six and never had to wait for a table. In comparison to the price of the cruise nothing that I would complain about.

I agree. For the price of NCL compared to other lines, you can eat EVERY night in a specialty restaurant, and we never had a problem getting a table in the main dinning room. Five minute wait at most-unless you pick the 6:30 to 8 pm time. Before 6:30 and after 8-no more than 5 minutes. And if you must eat in that time period, you can reserve a table-and again-5 minute wait at most with a reserved table.

However, the food IS better in the main dinning room on other lines. I still find the food decent. It is certainly better than Applebees or similar restaurants where I normally eat. It is only occasionally that we eat at higher end restaurants (such as our anniversary-or some other celebration-not our usual weekend going out to dinner at high end restaurants) and to be honest-main dinning room food is not comparable to higher in restaurants on any line-even HAL.

Just going to add this last cruise we took on Jewel of the Seas (got off yesterday), we had requested early seating back in July when we booked. We board ship to find we had not been assigned to a table. The first night we were given a table that was assigned to a group eating at Chops. The next night they wanted to seat us at a table for 10, (we had asked for a table for 4 when we booked) we kicked up a fuss, and so we were put at a table for 6 with a mother and her 2 sons. One son was mildly autistic,(sadly, probably why they had not seated anyone with them) but they were a nice family, so it worked out, for the most part. (we even enjoyed the young son with autism-he was very sweet) However, I was disappointed that we could not eat alone as a family.

I did find the Jewel of the Seas food very good. Only one thing I had in the dinning room that I did not care for-the vegetarian calzone. Pizza in windjammer was much better-LOL! Over all, the food was MUCH better than the food we had on the Mariner of the Seas-maybe that ship had a bum chef when we sailed. I do have to revise my statement that RCI and NCL food is about the same quality. This was not true on Jewel of the Seas, at least. We also loved the Seaview Cafe-much preferable to Johnny Rockets!

Yes, our other cruises (Royal Olympic, Costa, NCL, Princess, Celebrity) have all been, geneally, fine. These two were a low point, the kind where you ask yourself if life might be better if you bagged the cruise and flew home.

Oh how sad-I have enjoyed every cruise I have taken. Some cruises less than others,(aspects I disliked) and some lines I prefer not to cruise again-but it was always better than staying home and I must add-after spending a day precruise at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure-(and being reminded why I hate theme parks) that the worst cruise is better than a day (the horrors of spending a week at a theme park instead-LOL-that is when I wished I stayed at home-or even at the hotel) at a theme park.

Maybe this is the wrong thread. Just realized we've had about 10 cruises including 5 TAs, and I crossed the north Atlantic on a small Jap freight 50 years ago, all with no bad weather.

A few pax I wanted to, and did, avoid the rest of the cruise, and edible food. I say 'edible' as freestyle and cost cutting sent us to lines other than NCL.

NCL was both one of the best, and the worst (later) cruiselines.

I wish we could retire this phrase! It's such a pat answer for some. All I can say is that some folks must have really crappy jobs to be worse than spending 7 nights in a cabin that never got below 90 degrees (often nearer 100) without any air movement and only a tiny fan! :rolleyes:

I'm hitting the "like" button! It's also a pet peave of mine when people say that. I mean, it doesn't cost me thousands of dollars when I go to work and don't have a good day

• 2 weeks later...

Have sailed RCI 4 and X 8 and all wonderful cruises. I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

The first thing my TA (a relative) said to me when she was helping us plan our 1st cruise was, "Well, you don't want Carnival". That's good enough for me, plus friends not happy with them or NCL or H Am.

Coming up on 13th cruise, 9th with X in 4 weeks. Can't wait to get out of this GRAY OH weather for a few days.

1/02 Explorer OS E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer OS W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise tour

2/04 Adventure OS S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

2/12 Summit S. Carib

We've cruised on NCL, Celebrity, and HAL. We enjoyed ourselves on all our cruises. I wouldn't recommend against any of them. Sure there were a few little things that irked me, but nothing that I would consider a show stopper.

We actually had the best times aboard the NCL cruises. The Celebrity cruise had entertainment that was amazing, we're still talking about the magician.

Holland was good, nothing to report as outstanding but nothing horrible happened either.

Next cruise I'd like to try RCCL, or Princess, just to see how they compare.

• 3 weeks later...

My least favorite line (of the three I've tried - Disney, Royal Caribbean, Carnival) has been Carnival, my least favorite cruise being on the Carnival Dream.

My biggest problem was with the ship - the layout is terrible, especially in the Lido buffet area. Crowds were terrible in the buffet (as well as everywhere on the ship, for that matter) for every meal - I think this is the result of them packing in more staterooms, but not adding having the public spaces to accommodate. Also, I wasn't a fan of the two separate dining rooms, and definitely not a fan of sitting in a booth in the formal dining room.

I did like the cruise director, though, and it was a great itinerary.

Would I cruise Carnival, again? Probably - but I'm not dying to go back at the moment.

Some cruises are better than others, some lines are much better than others, but our worst ship in terms of condition of the ship, quality of the food and service would have to be Pacific Princess.

I am sure many people would disagree, but we couldn't believe just how run down she was, the lack of maintenance and the food was ordinary, and this was a sector on a world cruise. A lot of people on board had done the same cruise the year prior and were amazed by the difference - not good.

However, in saying all of the above, we just "got on with it", met the best people, saw wonderful sights and had the best Canadian CD ever (Hi Brett!) and the best Aussie contingent of singers and dancers! They made our cruise unbelievable and we will never, every forget them. We were so sad to leave "our family". The condition of the ship and all her mechanical woes were long forgotten.

Some cruises are better than others, some lines are much better than others, but our worst ship in terms of condition of the ship, quality of the food and service would have to be Pacific Princess.

I am sure many people would disagree, but we couldn't believe just how run down she was, the lack of maintenance and the food was ordinary, and this was a sector on a world cruise. A lot of people on board had done the same cruise the year prior and were amazed by the difference - not good.

However, in saying all of the above, we just "got on with it", met the best people, saw wonderful sights and had the best Canadian CD ever (Hi Brett!) and the best Aussie contingent of singers and dancers! They made our cruise unbelievable and we will never, every forget them. We were so sad to leave "our family". The condition of the ship and all her mechanical woes were long forgotten.

We were on Pacific Princess in September 2011 and while there were a few spots of rust here and there, we loved the ship! Salt water and wind are so hard on metal and wood that there is a constant battle to keep everything in pristine condition. We felt the food was excellent and the service was very good. I was not as impressed with our CD, Susan Rawls, as some other CDs we've had, but it didn't change our enjoyment of our cruise of the Black Sea.

I'm glad that you made the most of your cruise, despite your unsatisfactory impression of the ship. :)

NCL! We did a trans-Atlantic on the Jewel in 2006. The ship was nice and the room steward was great. However, the food was horrible and the dining room service was even worse. To make matters worse, we got the norovirus and were confined to our cabin for 3 days. The room service food was barely edible! Most of the "economy class" passengers were complaining. I refuse to go on NCL again.

Interestingly enough, our first cruise was on the NCL Starward (when they were under different ownership). The cabin was small, but we didn't know any better. Food was good and we were hooked on cruising after that.

We have sailed on Princess (7), Royal Caribbean (5), HAL (2), Carnival (4) and Costa (1). We find the food and service best on HAL. We would like to try Celebrity, since we hear good things about it. Now, when we book, it's all about the itinerary.

I had the worst over all cruise and the best over all cruise on the same cruise line. The worst cruise overall was RCI Mariner of the Seas in 2005. Best cruise overall was RCI jewel of the Seas last month.

Now I am not saying the Jewel of Seas had the best food ever, that was HAL, then Celebrity, then Princess after them-but the food was pretty good whereas the worst food I ever had-including NCL cruise ships- was the on Mariner of the Seas. Not only the food, but I found the MOS too congested and crowded.

The Jewel of the Seas is the prettiest ship I have ever cruised, and she also, though a very full ship, handled crowds fairly well. I had a very relaxing cruise. I think that is why I can say she was one of the best ships of the 18 ships I have cruised and-5 of the best cruise days of my 116 cruise days-whereas Mariner of the Seas was the 7 worst.

Jewel of the Seas is the most beautiful ship I've ever sailed out of the 7 ships in 12 cruises and the food was the best. Maybe it has changed since June 2006.

It was the 4th and last RCCL cruise, due originally to itinerary considerations and now I just stick with Celebrity.

I will say another passenger on the Jewel, whom I recognized as a know-it-all food snob just from conversation with him during the cruise, said in his CC review..."the food was average, not many choices". :eek: 5-6 choices for almost every course--not enough??

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruisetour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

2/12 Summit S. Carib.

Jewel of the Seas is the most beautiful ship I've ever sailed out of the 7 ships in 12 cruises and the food was the best. Maybe it has changed since June 2006.

It was the 4th and last RCCL cruise, due originally to itinerary considerations and now I just stick with Celebrity.

I will say another passenger on the Jewel, whom I recognized as a know-it-all food snob just from conversation with him during the cruise, said in his CC review..."the food was average, not many choices". :eek: 5-6 choices for almost every course--not enough??

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruisetour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

2/12 Summit S. Carib.

kathie-I think RCI stopped making these ships because they also own Celebrity. I believe they decided their lines did not need to compete with each other. However, Diamond RCI's I met on JOS, told me that the Jewel of the Seas still has more things for their preteen children than Celebrity ships. I don't think it would hurt RCI to make a couple more of these ships.

We like Celebrity also-but normally we cruise with our adult daughter who works in our county school system. When she can go prices are sky high, which is why we usually go NCL, but we were very happy to get a great rate on Jewel of the Seas last month. I would rather do a shorter cruise on this ship that a 7 day on any NCL ship-if the 2 were about the same price.

Out of my four cruises to date - while I have enjoyed them all - the line least to my liking has been HAL. The Maasdam was in very poor shape, and the entertainment choices were next to nothing for late night options. Plus, it was a "sick ship" in Code Red most of the journey. I would sail HAL again if the itinerary and pricing were right, although it wouldn't be my preference - at least not one of their smaller ships. We prefer the livelier ambiance of CCL or RCCL, over the more subdued HAL.

Archived