Lost passport, sailing in 25 days!

teddy'sgirl

So I've "misplaced" our passports and we sail in 25 days. Has anyone had any experience with how long it takes to get a replacement back? I've been to the travel.state.gov website but I'm not ready to report it lost just yet! We have original birth certificates so being able to board is not an issue but I would just feel better traveling with my passport.

So I've "misplaced" our passports and we sail in 25 days. Has anyone had any experience with how long it takes to get a replacement back? I've been to the travel.state.gov website but I'm not ready to report it lost just yet! We have original birth certificates so being able to board is not an issue but I would just feel better traveling with my passport.

Experience varies, depending on where you are and how much you want to pay. I'm in NYC. I've used an expediating service for one-day turn-around. It was expensive, but my employer was paying for it.

I just sent in my passport for a renewal and it took 12 days from the day I mailed it to Pennsylvania (Sept 1) it to the day I received it in the mail (Sept12)~ not sure how a lost passport would effect that time.

There is additional paperwork regarding a statement on how the passport was lost, verification that no one is using it falsely, things of that nature.

I just sent in my passport for a renewal and it took 12 days from the day I mailed it to Pennsylvania (Sept 1) it to the day I received it in the mail (Sept12)~ not sure how a lost passport would effect that time. Also check here about replacing a lost passport~ http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_848.html

That's really interesting because I had the same experience: mailed my renewal (non-expedited) on 8/31, State Dept received it on 9/2 and I had my renewed passport on 9/12 - thirteen days total. The OP probably shouldn't count on that type of turnaround (unless they spend extra on expedited service) but I was shocked mine came back so quickly when the State Dept was advertising 4-6 weeks.

The sooner your report them lost the sooner you'll get them back. If you have your birth certificates in order (and know they are the right kind) then I'd say report the passports lost now. Worse case scenario you sail with the birth certs. (But I know that if this was happening to me the passports would show up as soon as I dropped the forms in the mail:rolleyes:.)

I called the 800 number and told them I did not want to report it "lost" just yet but wanted to inquire about the turn around time for replacement. 3 to 4 weeks! Yikes! Looks like I'm going to keep looking and if all else fails, we travel on birth certificate! I've check my car, camera bag, all my luggage. Even the folder I keep with all the mementos from our trip! I can't imagine where I put them! We literally got in the car in Mobile and didn't stop until we got home so I know I didn't loose them between the port and home! :mad: Guess I should be glad I was trying to be efficient and start putting all our things together for this cruise as soon as I did! :cool:

There is additional paperwork regarding a statement on how the passport was lost, verification that no one is using it falsely, things of that nature.

That is true and I also noticed this on the State Dept web site regarding lost/stolen passport replacement - it must be done in person at a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility, apparently can't be done by mail:

ACE YOUR LOST OR STOLEN U.S. PASSPORT

To replace your lost or stolen U.S. passport, submit the following forms
in person
at a
or
:

That is true and I also noticed this on the State Dept web site regarding lost/stolen passport replacement - it must be done in person at a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility, apparently can't be done by mail:

ACE YOUR LOST OR STOLEN U.S. PASSPORT

To replace your lost or stolen U.S. passport, submit the following forms
in person
at a
or
:

You can hire a service to do the hand-delivery for you, for example:

http://www.itseasy.com/us-passport-expediting-services/lost-stolen-passports-requirements.php

Passports.....FOUND!!!!!:p Back zippered pocket of camera bag!:rolleyes: Like I said' date=' sure am glad I started gathering all our paperwork this far in advance. At least my closets, luggage and filing cabinet are now clean! Thanks for all the quick responses![/quote']

Yeah!!!!

Passports.....FOUND!!!!!:p Back zippered pocket of camera bag!:rolleyes: Like I said' date=' sure am glad I started gathering all our paperwork this far in advance. At least my closets, luggage and filing cabinet are now clean! Thanks for all the quick responses![/quote']

Yippee~!! Now put them somewhere SAFE!!!!

that's terrifc news. I hate that feeling when you misplace important items. I misplaced my passport while on a bus tour in Germany. Talk about having a heart attack. Well, I was putting my passport away and thought i put it in my travel bag on the floor in the bus. Apparently, I missed the bag and it was under the next seat. Luckily, the tour diretor found it while we were sight seeing. Relief just didn't capture the entire feeling I had. Never again!!! I'm so freakin careful with it.

Have a great cruise.:)

As soon as we come back from a cruise (or whenever traveling with our passports), they immediately go back into our filing cabinet in their folder. Immediately after booking a cruise, making final payment, and printing off our cruise documents, the passport gets moved into that cruise's folder.

I called the 800 number and told them I did not want to report it "lost" just yet but wanted to inquire about the turn around time for replacement. 3 to 4 weeks! Yikes! Looks like I'm going to keep looking and if all else fails' date=' we travel on birth certificate! I've check my car, camera bag, all my luggage. Even the folder I keep with all the mementos from our trip! I can't imagine where I put them! We literally got in the car in Mobile and didn't stop until we got home so I know I didn't loose them between the port and home! :mad: Guess I should be glad I was trying to be efficient and start putting all our things together for this cruise as soon as I did! :cool:[/quote']

Not to be a smart &?$ but did you check the glove compartment and door pockets in the car? It amazes me the things I find in there!!!

Not to be a smart &?$ but did you check the glove compartment and door pockets in the car? It amazes me the things I find in there!!!

Yep! That was the 3rd place I checked! First was the folder in the filing cabinet where I keep them, second was the camera bag where I normally keep them when we are on a cruise, and the third place was the glove box and the car pockets. Then the luggage, even unzipped the liners to see if I had a lucid moment and put them there! LOL Had to go back to work the next day after our cruise so I must have been in such a hurry to get things back in order that I forgot to put them back up. I had forgotten about the back zippered pouch on the camera bag until I was getting ready to pick the kids up from school and was standing in the bathroom. I happened to see the zipper in the mirror since I had sat the camera bag on the counter. Boy did the light bulb go off then! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We sail in 44 days. DH decides to check his passport today and realizes that it expired last week! He has his original birth certificate but I could absolutely kill him! I typically handle MOST things in our family, finances, bills, payments, etc. This is one thing that he handles because he too keeps the passports in a safe place. So - I never worried about it because that's his one of three things :) he takes care of.... This is prime example of why sometimes I feel fortunate that we couldn't have children...I have a fully grown one already ;) Frustrating though, so frustrating because he is all upset and snippy and this should be a happy last month!

Since 9/11 a birth certificate doesn't work. You need a real passport!

I put ours in a RED passport wallet and put it back in the drawer when we get home. It is easier to see it too, if I put it down somewhere when I am packing for the next trip.

Archived