All aboard 1 hr prior to leaving ports. Truth or Fiction?

Karysa

If you are looking for a down to the minute guarantee you are not going to get it.

Perhaps cruising is not your cup-o-tea. Its a ship and the captain will make it clear what time to be back on board.

If you would like to wait until the very last minute that is your choice . Plus there are those of us that look forward to the few that do the pier dash at every port . Its quite entertaining ;)

What makes you think that I don't like cruising?

I just don't understand why the website and cruise doc say one thing and you plan your excursions etc to that and then you find out that you "may" actually have an extra half an hour. Do you actually not think that NCL should change what is written if this is not their practice. Not one person on here said that the ships actually follow the information in the cruise documents about when passengers should be back on ship. I find that interesting.

What makes you think that I don't like cruising?

I just don't understand why the website and cruise doc say one thing and you plan your excursions etc to that and then you find out that you "may" actually have an extra half an hour. Do you actually not think that NCL should change what is written if this is not their practice. Not one person on here said that the ships actually follow the information in the cruise documents about when passengers should be back on ship. I find that interesting.

You will find that in any large company. Take for example a chain hotel like the Mariott. They have a set of guidelines but it is up to each individual manager whether they follow precisely or vary from that.

I'm sure that reason NCL puts this in their documentation is to allow those that book outside excursions to make sure that they are back in plenty of time to board.

It's not like NCL is putting 30 minutes and everyone on here is telling you 1 hr. If anything you will be gaining 30 minutes.

You will find that in any large company. Take for example a chain hotel like the Mariott. They have a set of guidelines but it is up to each individual manager whether they follow precisely or vary from that.

I'm sure that reason NCL puts this in their documentation is to allow those that book outside excursions to make sure that they are back in plenty of time to board.

It's not like NCL is putting 30 minutes and everyone on here is telling you 1 hr. If anything you will be gaining 30 minutes.

Point taken. Makes it easier to plan when you get the correct info though.

Point taken. Makes it easier to plan when you get the correct info though.

Then might I suggest, plan for an hour and smile broadly and do the happy dance when your gangway sign says 30 minutes :D

It's like going to a store with a $10 off coupon and finding once you get there that "today only" you get an extra 10% off. ;)

Then might I suggest, plan for an hour and smile broadly and do the happy dance when your gangway sign says 30 minutes :D

It's like going to a store with a $10 off coupon and finding once you get there that "today only" you get an extra 10% off. ;)

Now that, I can buy. How did you know that I speak "shopping"!!:D

Cruised Carnival and RCL in the past 6 months and we had to be back on board 30 minutes prior to port departures. I just read that on NCL you must be back on board 1 hour prior to departure from ports. Is this something that is enforced on the ships or is this more of a suggestion? With 3 port departures at 5 pm that extra 30 minutes could be better spent on the beach.:D

You sound like a future star on YouTube missing the boat.

when youre at port, they dont pull the gangway up to the last possible minute, witch is about 10 min. before they leave. so you have till then. how ever i strongly advise aganst wait till the last possible min. 30 min. prior is a safe bet

If you follow this advise you may well find yourself returning to an empty dock. I have seen passengers who are regularly late find themselves left at the dock on the third time since the ship has had to sail early (albeit a few minutes early). Get back by the time posted at the gangway and shown in the Freestyle Daily and you will have a great vacation.

If you follow this advise you may well find yourself returning to an empty dock. I have seen passengers who are regularly late find themselves left at the dock on the third time since the ship has had to sail early (albeit a few minutes early). Get back by the time posted at the gangway and shown in the Freestyle Daily and you will have a great vacation.

Love your last sentence.

You should be running the NCL website. :)

So far, I've never been on an NCL cruise that the sign at the end of the gangplank did not say 30 minutes prior to sailing. The ship will never leave earlier than what is posted, barring an emergency.

They probably say an hour on the site and hope people start coming back at that time so at 30 minutes before sailing, you don't have 3000 people trying to board all at once. The lines can get pretty long at times to get back on. We do choose to be on that hour before and we sit on our balcony and watch the runners (the one's they have been paging for the past 20 miinutes) trying to make it on last minute. Quite amusing!:)

Maybe they are trying to help you avoid skin cancer. :confused::eek:

Seriously, I suspect the tour scheduling is a very good explanation for the generous time being posted in advance. It also gives the captain flexibility should it be needed for any reason on a particular day. Actual cruisers' experiences are the best teachers.

I have seen the NCL Dawn and Pearl both let passengers on with minutes to spare. However, I can't tell you how many times I have seen people left on the peir watching the ship set sail to the next port. I make it a point to plan to be back on the ship at least 2 hours before departure time, that way if I want to stop on the way back, I have built in some time.

I always get back onboard a little earlier than what they suggest. Often the ship leaves a little late to---which really interrupts my sessions on the balcony waving at those running along the pier as we sail away

It appears Lowtyd & I have some of the same cruise traditions

[quote name='mbisson']I always get back onboard a little earlier than what they suggest. Often the ship leaves a little late to---which really interrupts my sessions on the balcony waving at those running along the pier as we sail away[/QUOTE]

I'm usually sitting at a nice table by the window in Cagneys or Le Bistro sipping a cocktail or glass of wine as I watch the running of the fools. ;)

[quote name='LOWTYD']They probably say an hour on the site and hope people start coming back at that time so at 30 minutes before sailing, you don't have 3000 people trying to board all at once. The lines can get pretty long at times to get back on. We do choose to be on that hour before and we sit on our balcony and watch the runners (the one's they have been paging for the past 20 miinutes) trying to make it on last minute. Quite amusing!:)[/quote]

I always plan on being at the port 30 minutes before the time posted for all aboard as well. I was just trying to figure out if the all aboard was 1 hr before sail away, like it states on the NCL website, and if that was the case I would make sure that I was at the port 30 minutes prior to that. I wouldn't like it, since we have 3 ports where departure time is 5pm and 1hr plus 30 minutes to spare would mean that I would plan on being to the port by 3:30 and that is pretty early in the day to have to be off of the beach and at the port by. I'd do it but I wouldn't like it so I am very glad to hear that the ships practice the be here at least 30 minutes prior to departure instead of what the NCL website says.

We always make it a point to be on deck, portside 1/2 hour before leaving port, we love watching people running to catch the ship before she leaves port! Have sen more than a few people left behind and the captain is never pleased to be held up!:p

[quote name='pattydifer']We always make it a point to be on deck, portside 1/2 hour before leaving port, we love watching people running to catch the ship before she leaves port! Have sen more than a few people left behind and the captain is never pleased to be held up!:p[/quote]

I would NEVER do this. It is NOT ALWAYS the persons fault that they are held up in port. Wow!! All I can say is, be careful, Karma is a (female dog)!!

[quote name='Karysa']I would NEVER do this. [B][COLOR=red]It is NOT ALWAYS the persons fault that they are held up in port.[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

[B]Here are my thoughts: [/B]
[LIST]
[*]If you choose to book a private excursion and don't make it back to the ship in time, it is your fault.
[*]If you choose to take a taxi to the beach and fall asleep, it is your fault.
[*]If said taxi breaks down en route back to the ship, it is your fault (for hiring the driver).
[*]If you choose to sit at Senor Frogs and drink yourself into oblivion and can't stumble back to the ship, it is your fault.
[*]If you knowingly commit a crime and get incarcerated while in port, it is your fault.
[/LIST]The only time you will get a pass (that doesn't mean that the ship will actually wait but they will get you back onboard at their expense) if you are booked on a ship sponsored excursion.

After watching a family of 4 miss the Oasis two weeks ago, I would not leave anything to chance; particularly quibbling over 30 extra minutes at the beach. Not worth it.

My advice - get off the ship as early as you can to maximize your port time.

[quote name='tiyana4'][B]Here are my thoughts: [/B]
[LIST]
[*]If you choose to book a private excursion and don't make it back to the ship in time, it is your fault.
[*]If you choose to take a taxi to the beach and fall asleep, it is your fault.
[*]If said taxi breaks down en route back to the ship, it is your fault (for hiring the driver).
[*]If you choose to sit at Senor Frogs and drink yourself into oblivion and can't stumble back to the ship, it is your fault.
[*]If you knowingly commit a crime and get incarcerated while in port, it is your fault.
[/LIST]
The only time you will get a pass (that doesn't mean that the ship will actually wait but they will get you back onboard at their expense) if you are booked on a ship sponsored excursion.

After watching a family of 4 miss the Oasis two weeks ago, I would not leave anything to chance; particularly quibbling over 30 extra minutes at the beach. Not worth it.

My advice - get off the ship as early as you can to maximize your port time.[/quote]

Yes if you get right down to it all those reasons are your fault.

Still think it is disgusting to make a sport out of other peoples misery.
Remember we could all be the people that had the emergency in port and missed the ship. Just don't see the humor in it.

Checking 6 months in advance about port departure time is hardly leaving it to chance.

[quote name='Karysa']Yes if you get right down to it all those reasons are your fault.

Still think it is disgusting to make a sport out of other peoples misery.
Remember we could all be the people that had the emergency in port and missed the ship. Just don't see the humor in it.

Checking 6 months in advance about port departure time is hardly leaving it to chance.[/quote]

There was certainly nothing funny about watching a mother, grandmother and two children scream at the top of their lungs as their ship sailed off in the sunset. Where had they been all day?....the beach. They had no money, no passports, and worst of all....her baby and husband were onboard the ship.

There is nothing wrong with inquiring about departure times in advance, but the only time that truly counts is what is displayed on that little sign at the end of the gangway. If you want additional time at the beach, miss that cutoff and you will have plenty of additional time in port.

[quote name='tiyana4']There was certainly nothing funny about watching a mother, grandmother and two children scream at the top of their lungs as their ship sailed off in the sunset. Where had they been all day?....the beach. They had no money, no passports, and worst of all....her baby and husband were onboard the ship.

There is nothing wrong with inquiring about departure times in advance, but the only time that truly counts is what is displayed on that little sign at the end of the gangway. If you want additional time at the beach, miss that cutoff and you will have plenty of additional time in port.[/quote]

I agree with you, probably bad planning. Most of the time it is.

Poster 45 described with detail picking her spot for such viewing. I just can not understand this, that is all I'm saying.

I now know that the website and the captain are not always in agreement as to when port sail away will be and the captain gets the last say. I already posted that I am happy to hear that 30 minutes prior to sail away is the usual posted time but if it were 60 minutes I would plan accordingly.

Trust me I would not intentionally give these people more chuckles!!

Archived