All aboard 1 hr prior to leaving ports. Truth or Fiction?

Karysa

Another thing to keep in mind is that the lines are LONG if you wait until the last 30 minutes to re-board. The lines were so long on our Dream sailing that the ship left port almost an hour late in Nassau. When cruise lines say all aboard at 1:30, I'm sure they don't mean in line at 1:30, but people push the time limits all the time. While this is not normally the case, in a tender port someone would be left behind.

[quote name='tiyana4']Another thing to keep in mind is that the lines are LONG if you wait until the last 30 minutes to re-board. The lines were so long on our Dream sailing that the ship left port almost an hour late in Nassau. When cruise lines say all aboard at 1:30, I'm sure they don't mean in line at 1:30, but people push the time limits all the time. [COLOR="Red"] While this is not normally the case, in a tender port someone would be left behind.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

In a tender port, the instructions are worded differently. You are specifically advised of the time the last tender is scheduled to depart, which is typically 15 to 30 minutes prior to the "all aboard" time.

[quote name='njhorseman']In a tender port, the instructions are worded differently. You are specifically advised of the time the last tender is scheduled to depart, which is typically 15 to 30 minutes prior to the "all aboard" time.[/quote]

Yep, and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who still show up just in time to catch the last tender - only to find 100 people ahead of them.

We almost left a few people in Belize doing this...they had been sitting at a dockside bar. They were fortunate, the tender boat actually went back to the dock to get them.

[quote name='Karysa']Cruised Carnival and RCL in the past 6 months and we had to be back on board 30 minutes prior to port departures. I just read that on NCL you must be back on board 1 hour prior to departure from ports. Is this something that is enforced on the ships or is this more of a suggestion? With 3 port departures at 5 pm that extra 30 minutes could be better spent on the beach.:D[/quote]

I like to get onboard two hours before hand. Have seen too many people push there luck and almost miss the boat. For me, I prefer not to take any chances of missing the boat as it will cost you $$$$.

Why is this so difficult to understand. The all aboard time will be posted in the daily and on a sign at the gangplank. To schedule yourself 6 months in advance just does not make any sense even though you want to maximize your beach time. What is the ship is scheduled to leave at 5 PM but for some reason that day it has to be 3 PM would you not check and arrive at 4:30 or even 4:00?

Go enjoy the cruise, check the on-board time at each port then you make your choice understanding that the website and reality do not always agree. It is a shame that they do not agree but that is the way it is.

[quote name='mbisson']One more point...find out if they're going by 'port time' or 'ships time' (sometimes I've seen them go by one and sometimes by the other)

Usually though, they'll have us reset our clocks so that it's not a problem[/quote]

This will be an other issue for us as the cruise that I am taking is the 11 day Dawn Southern Caribbean cruise leaving on March 7th. Daylight saving starts on March 11th this year. I am not sure if I want to open that can of worms on this thread though!;)

[quote name='tiyana4']Another thing to keep in mind is that the lines are LONG if you wait until the last 30 minutes to re-board. The lines were so long on our Dream sailing that the ship left port almost an hour late in Nassau. When cruise lines say all aboard at 1:30, I'm sure they don't mean in line at 1:30, but people push the time limits all the time. While this is not normally the case, in a tender port someone would be left behind.[/quote]

In Nassau you have your normal dock runners as well as the people who normally grab a seat up above and watch them. The reason that the "fans" are not on board already in Nassau, drink in hand ready for the game is because Nassau is usually the last port and so close and inexpensive of a flight to Florida the reaction from the ship "missers" is just a let down compared to the previous ports. Everyone wants their last vacation memories to be, well memorable I guess.;)

[quote name='goose30']Why is this so difficult to understand. The all aboard time will be posted in the daily and on a sign at the gangplank. To schedule yourself 6 months in advance just does not make any sense even though you want to maximize your beach time. What is the ship is scheduled to leave at 5 PM but for some reason that day it has to be 3 PM would you not check and arrive at 4:30 or even 4:00?

Go enjoy the cruise, check the on-board time at each port then you make your choice understanding that the website and reality do not always agree. It is a shame that they do not agree but that is the way it is.[/quote]

Go tell the people on the Ports of Call Board this. Many people over there are getting tour information and trying to get in touch with the popular guides for cruises 18 months out that they haven't even booked yet.:) As I said, (several times on this thread now), since I now know that the 1 hr that the NCL website states is not the norm for last boarding at ports I will plan to be on board prior to 30 minutes before sailing as I have done the last 8 times that I cruised and check again in the daily and then at the gangway prior to leaving for each port. Again, this has been cleared up a long, long, long, time ago on this thread.

[quote name='LOWTYD'] We do choose to be on that hour before and we sit on our balcony and watch the runners (the one's they have been paging for the past 20 miinutes) trying to make it on last minute. Quite amusing!:)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mbisson']I always get back onboard a little earlier than what they suggest. Often the ship leaves a little late to---which really interrupts my sessions on the balcony waving at those running along the pier as we sail away

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooder']I'm usually sitting at a nice table by the window in Cagneys or Le Bistro sipping a cocktail or glass of wine as I watch the running of the fools. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think I need to cancel a certain upcoming Dec 2012 cruise since some of my supposed friends would thoroughly enjoy seeing a repeat of my Canada/New England experience. :P

[quote name='Karysa']Go tell the people on the Ports of Call Board this. Many people over there are getting tour information and trying to get in touch with the popular guides for cruises 18 months out that they haven't even booked yet.:) [/QUOTE]

That's the kind of thing you DO need to think about well in advance. How much time you lie on the beach is entirely different.

[quote name='CruisnGram']I think I need to cancel a certain upcoming Dec 2012 cruise since some of my supposed friends would thoroughly enjoy seeing a repeat of my Canada/New England experience. :P[/QUOTE]

ROFL. As I said, there are special rules for YOU. One snicker and we'd be kicked off those other little boats we enjoy so much. lol

[quote name='Karysa']This will be an other issue for us as the cruise that I am taking is the 11 day Dawn Southern Caribbean cruise leaving on March 7th. Daylight saving starts on March 11th this year. I am not sure if I want to open that can of worms on this thread though!;)[/quote]

We did the Western Caribbean last year during the time change and you had to pay attention because I think the time changed at least 3 or 4 times during this trip.

[quote name='Mooder']We'd never laugh at you, CG! ;)[/quote]

Well, we would, but she couldn't see us because she is running along side the ship!;)
(and it wouldn't be at you , it would be with you, because you would think this is funny)

[quote name='Karysa']This will be an other issue for us as the cruise that I am taking is the 11 day Dawn Southern Caribbean cruise leaving on March 7th. Daylight saving starts on March 11th this year. I am not sure if I want to open that can of worms on this thread though!;)[/QUOTE]

Look for the notices - usually the cabin stewards will place notices of time changes on your bed at night.

[quote name='LOWTYD']Well, we would, but she couldn't see us because she is running along side the ship!;)
(and it wouldn't be at you , it would be with you, because you would think this is funny)[/QUOTE]

Excellent point, Lowtyd. We'd all be laughing together if it happened to any one of us on the *enis cruise.

[quote name='Karysa']This will be an other issue for us as the cruise that I am taking is the 11 day Dawn Southern Caribbean cruise leaving on March 7th. Daylight saving starts on March 11th this year. I am not sure if I want to open that can of worms on this thread though!;)[/quote]

Actually we never found this to be an issue on either of our cruises. We changed our watches on our western cruise out of LA three times on the planes going there :eek:. Got on the ship, set our watches to ship time, so we were on ship time already anyway, so when our daily and many notices were put in our cabin to remind us to stay on ship time, it was no issue as we didn't have to change our watches, thank goodness. The correct time is always on a channel on your TV. You are on the ship first thing in the morning anyway just make sure your watch or whatever method you use to tell time is synced with the TV.

May I just take a second to use my superior intellect to explain this all in simple language. NCL.com is a U.S. website that says be onboard one hour prior to sailing. When you go to other countries they use the metric system.

One hour (U.S.) is thirty minutes in the metric system.

Dummies.

[quote name='che5904']Actually we never found this to be an issue on either of our cruises. We changed our watches on our western cruise out of LA three times on the planes going there :eek:. Got on the ship, set our watches to ship time, so we were on ship time already anyway, so when our daily and many notices were put in our cabin to remind us to stay on ship time, it was no issue as we didn't have to change our watches, thank goodness. The correct time is always on a channel on your TV. You are on the ship first thing in the morning anyway just make sure your watch or whatever method you use to tell time is synced with the TV.[/quote]

Good plan. Thanks

Archived