First timer here. Both Cruising and on the boards

joy4ron

First I want to say, "Wow!" this is a great site. I have already learned so much, but that also shows me how much more I need to know, and there's no better instructor than experience, so I am planning to take the plunge.

That leads me to my problem. I am a bit over detailed. I tend to overesearch everything, including vacations. I don't mind, I enjoy it, and it is actually quite entertaining for my wife.. She tends to laugh at me quite a bit (or at least roll her eyes).

My problem is this, I have champaign tastes, a bourbon budget, and a vise-like grip on my wallet. Actually, I don't mind spending money if I feel like something is worth it, I just have no frame of reference in the cruising world.

We are planning on doing our first cruise Fall 2012. Our 20th anniversary is September 4th, so we'd like to go around that time. I loooove the Carnival prices (Balcony for around $600), but I'm concerned that Carnival might not be for us. We're both 38, non-drinkers, and somewhat active. We love kids and teens, but we have a 10 and 18 year old that we will be leaving at home... This is an anniversary cruise...

I know that at one time I was told Carnival was a bit of a party ship, but it looks like that has changed some.

I am a bit of a foodie, and I have seen on here that some people have been disapointed with Carnival's food. It looks like Holland America has some of the better food choices, but I think the Movies Under the Stars thing with Princess is way cool. I also have not even looked at Royal Caribbean.

As you can see, I clearly need help. I may be overthinking this, but that is kinda what I do....

Thanks for reading my rambling

Don't be afraid of Carnival...they have a good product for all ages! It's NOT the "party ship" that it's been made out to be! Sure...you and party on any ship or line, but if there are partiers, you don't have to join in! Do as much or as little as you want. Drinking isn't necessary!

Since you are a planner, read up on your ports....excursions are costly, but most things are easy to do on your own, if you have the info to do it! A guidebook is the best, "all in one place" reference you can use!

Most 1st timers end up spending about 1/2 of the cost of the cruise on incidentals...research can curtail that!!!!

I probably should ahve qualified my budget statement with the fact that I have enough miles to do my airfare, and $1000 off of the cruise. I feel like 20 years is a big enough event to splurge a little, and I always feel like it's worth it to invest in my marriage.

That being said, I don't want to simply throw mony away that I don't need to. I could easily do carnival, and then live it up like a big spender, or I could go a little nicer and ennjoy the experience more...

Make any sense, or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

First... Welcome to Cruise Critic! it's a wonderful place for information and opinions. We were all "new" once - ask away!!

Here's two things you said that caught my attention:

I don't mind spending money if I feel like something is worth it

and

That being said, I don't want to simply throw money away that I don't need to.

Sounds like my thinking :)

I wanted a nice experience without breaking the bank.

I didn't want the cheapest, nor most expensive.

Your 20th is special. You're right..what better time to splurge a little.

You don't want to get on the ship and wish you had a better cabin, location or a different ship.

I think Princess or HAL would be a good fit for you.

I would also suggest a balcony.

Since you have free airfare and 1000.00 off...go for something nice. Just my opinion :D

Please let us know what you decide and any other questions we can help with.

Foghorn,

I am thinking more along the lines of Princess or HAL, but one of my concerns there is the fact that they cruise a little later in the year. I was hoping to cruise closer to our anniversary (Sept. 4) My wife's birthday is Oct 6th, so I thought that somewhere in between would be great. Princess Doesn't go the the Caribbean until Oct 28, and HAL doesn't until November. And since we are already looking at a year from now... But those ships do look wonderful.

Another question.

If I did look at November, what kind of weather am I looking at?

I lived in Florida when I was in the service, and I found that in December and January it could be rather unpredictable. Also, one should know that we typically plan family vadations to Florida in the Summer because we enjoy the heat. We have vacationed in Florida in December, but it's not really vacation to me if it's not hot.

I noticed that you're going on a Gaither Cruise. How fun... my parents loved them.

most of princess,s shps are in alaska or the med till oct ,

carribeans a bit unpredictable weather wise until late in year nov / dec

hurricain season is aug / sept as recent news should still be fresh in your mind.

weather in carib is warn in the latter months late 70,s early 80,s.

princess is a great line and you can choose from 7,10 or 14 days.

you get a good mix of international passengers and ships are friendly ,staff are really good ,meals in dining rooms are excellent ,horizon court food is good ,pizza and fast food outlet is really good.

but as my profile says im a little biased towards princess.

so what ever cruise you go on enjoy it .

If you are open to shifting your focus a little, okay, maybe a lot...You can get a really reasonably priced cruise by doing a westbound transatlantic. Royal Caribbean ahd Norwegian have particularly good prices for these cruises - you could even afford a suite. But if you want to consider this, and it is a longer cruise, I would not book now unless you are willing to keep a close eye on prices, because they will go way down from what they are now by the time final payment is due. Because they are longer cruises, and have a lot of sea days, you generally get an older crowd than you would traditionally see on Royal, Carnival, and NCL. You would get a few European ports before the long sail to Florida. EM

Food & cruising are subjective. People have different tastes. The trick is finding the line that matches you.

A good rule of thumb is that any time you get get your cabin for under $100 per night you are doing great. That said, some people love balconies & suites which cost more. With a "vice like grip on your wallet" as you said, depending on the price differential for the OV vs. the balcony you may want to consider an OV. Then again, a balcony can be romantic on your anniversary. Perhaps you can tell your DW you booked the OV but surprise her with the balcony. :)

Cruising overall is a good value b/c most food is included at you get transportation to different places. There are extras attached to many cruises you should consider when budgeting:

• airfare to the port
  • tips, usually around $11 pp per day in addition to your fare
  • alcohol (drink prices add a tip for the server automatically)
  • gambling
  • excursions
  • souveniers

just to name a few of the biggies. Since you have airfare covered that is not an issue for you.

The time of year you want to cruise will give you good pricing but that's because it's hurricane season. As long as you can be flexible it's a lovely time to cruise.

FWIW, we like NCL which is sailing out of Florida to the Carribbean during your time frame. Many people don't like NCL but to us it's a nice balance of fun, with elegant options if you want them (just don't expect the whole ship to get dressed up) but it's not crazy.

The biggest secret / tip I can offer a planner / researcher is that once you make a decision, Stop Looking or you will drive yourself nuts.

I appreciate that you want to cruise around your anniversary but keep in mind that early September is still hurricane season in the Caribbean. This is why some lines, like Princess and HAL don't reposition there until October / November.

I'm not suggesting that you avoid cruising the Caribbean around your anniversary, just explaining why the choices are more limited around that time. But you may want to look at Alaska in early September - great prices and generally not too cold.

As to cruise lines, it's my feeling that one can enjoy a cruise on any of them. It mostly depends on one's expectations and approach to the experience. That said, there are some differences that can make one line a better fit than another for you.

You mentioned that neither of you consume alcohol and are physically active. The alcohol part is going to disappoint any cruise line you are on, it's a major profit center for the lot of them :). All the lines have decent exercise facilities and most ships have a track around the ship for jogging or walking.

If you enjoy dancing of the more modern variety you'll likely find Carnival ships have livelier nightclubs. Although Allure and Oasis, given their size, also have decent clubs. All ships have multiple night spots appealing to different tastes. But lines and voyages over 9 nights, which tend to attract an older crowd, tend to have a much quieter night life.

Food is awfully controversial and I've found highly variable ship to ship. It's been a few years since I was on Carnival but my last voyage with them had wonderful food in the main dining room. Interesting, tasty and of good quality.

I don't think you will find gourmet quality food on any of the main stream lines, except perhaps on some ships in a specialty restaurant like 150 Central Park on Allure of the Seas. In the main dining venues you will generally find decent quality food on all ships mostly, but sadly not always, well prepared. Cruise lines like HAL and Celebrity have reputations for more interesting menus. Carnival and Royal Caribbean tend to have menus that cater to more mainstream tastes.

My advice when it comes to food research is ignore it until you've settled on a few itineraries then ask for input from people who have recently cruised on those ships.

My concern about food came up when I started reading the forums, and many people complained about Carnival not being as good as it used to be. Then I went to Princess, and I saw similar postings.

My parents went on three HAL cruises, and reaved about the food, so I started looking there. It seems to be on the pricier side of where I'd like to be given that I'd rather spend money on fun extras, but part of me wants to be wowed.

When I say active, I'm not sure that I explained it properly. Not exercise kind of active, but rather the let's go do this, let's go experience that kind of active.

We can totally enjoy a week at the beach doing little, but we love a trip to Disney where it's "Go, go, go"

I will say that Princess is looking appealing, but like I said, I still would like to sail earlier. I don't know why, but the hurricanes don't really bother me. I rode out Andrew in Florida, and I assume the ship would move to avoid them

You might want to look at departures out of San Juan. These itineraries have fewer sea days so you get to visit more ports, hence more things to do. If you do decide on a San Juan departure, spend at least one day there to explore the old city.

Archived