Currency prices

The problem I have with your money is that it is so easy to mix up the notes. You have to be really careful you are giving $1 and not $10. Different coloured notes stop that.

Yes, also the NZ$50 is very similar to our AU$5. Bit tricky in the dark.

Jen

Yes, the Aussie $ has dropped a bit but it was overpriced anyway and now it's cheaper it might encourage overseas visitors to venture Down Under and give our tourist industry a much needed boost. It's an ill wind, etc.

I think I've wanted to visit Australia since I was a kid and saw my first pictures of kangaroos and koalas. :D I can hardly believe I'm actually going to go.

There was a thread recently that asked where kangaroos/koalas/etc could be seen in the wild here in Oz. The OP didn't really get many good answers , I suspect because many of us here are urban dwellers.

Last week we went on a camping/motorhoming trip for a week from Brisbane , down the coast to Grafton, across the Great Dividing Range to Armidale, down a bit further inland to Bendemeer, back north again on the New England Highway to private properties in the winemaking area of Stanthorpe and then to the small village of Nobby on a farming area of the Darling Downs.. WILDLIFE was everywhere!! Kangaroos mostly in the early part of the evenings - and BIRDS!!! Just so much birdlife - including my favourite, the much disparaged Magpie, but also many many Rosella( which we don't see where we live). There was one country park where we stopped for lunch one day out the back of Rathdowney , where there were so many birds begging for food that we had to chase them away.

Barry

Headed to Oz in three weeks, praying for a continued trend (and still wishing I had bought a wad of NZD several years ago when the rate was 1.90 NZD for every USD)

I am so ignorant when it comes to exchange rates! We have booked several independant shore excursions for our upcoming cruise. Some tour operators state they don't take credit cards. Some take cards but prefer cash. One even offers 10% discount for cash payment! Should we wait until we get to New Zealand and use our credit card to obtain NZD or should we go to our bank here in the US before we leave? Can we obtain NZD and/or AUS currency on the ship?

We are on HAL Volendam, November time frame, most ports in New Zealand but 3 in Australia.

What is the best option? Thanks for any help.

I am so ignorant when it comes to exchange rates! We have booked several independant shore excursions for our upcoming cruise. Some tour operators state they don't take credit cards. Some take cards but prefer cash. One even offers 10% discount for cash payment! Should we wait until we get to New Zealand and use our credit card to obtain NZD or should we go to our bank here in the US before we leave? Can we obtain NZD and/or AUS currency on the ship?

We are on HAL Volendam, November time frame, most ports in New Zealand but 3 in Australia.

Hi AzEileen,

I always exchange at least some of my spending money at a bank before I leave home.

The reason being is because

1) currency exchange places in airports tend to have lousy rates

2) It's not always convenient on tours to get to banks or ATMs and doing so could waste precious time in ports.

3) Cash advances using a CC incur automatic interest charges (at

least they do with NZ credit cards).

4) I'm not sure if you ship exchanges cash. I would presume it does, but I'm also guessing that it won't be at a rate as good as a bank.

Also, another thing I've done in the past is put my CC in credit, so I can use it at ATMs like a bank card and not incur the interest charges.

Just be careful with this method though as it doesn't work with all CC companies. When I lived in the UK they froze my card for doing this saying that that isn't how CC are supposed to be used.

Yes' date=' we always change some money here before we leave. The exchange rate at the Aussie airports is atrocious! And unless you have a credit card with no international charges and exchange fees it can get expensive.[/quote']

Just to be clear, I believe you mean that the rate of exhange to get say American Dollars at an Australian airport is horrid. as the rate for a bank ATM in say LAX would be OK. But you would prefer to get a few dollars at your bank to take with you. No?

Just to be clear, I believe you mean that the rate of exhange to get say American Dollars at an Australian airport is horrid. as the rate for a bank ATM in say LAX would be OK. But you would prefer to get a few dollars at your bank to take with you. No?

Take my advice, order foreign currency from your local Post Office. Decent rate and they get it in for you within 48 hours. We have been doing that for years.

I agree with the others...get your cash before you come over. Work out how much the tours are, add some for small purchases and buy. I believe the reason most operators prefer cash is because in some instances they would also have to pay a fee for credit card. Also, on rare occassions, a ship may not be able to get into the particular port. I have heard this happening in Dunedin....but very rare. Hence, if this happens, then it saves all the financial mucking around re refunds.

You are going to love it over here and in NZ. We are a very honest bunch, so cash payment if the way to go.

Jen

Headed to Oz in three weeks, praying for a continued trend (and still wishing I had bought a wad of NZD several years ago when the rate was 1.90 NZD for every USD)

Hi Moyaroo,

Will you be cruising to Ausi?

I waved Dawn Princess off in NZ 3 weeks ago and am now waiting her arrival into Adelaide on Wed 28th Sep.

Have to have something to look forward to, seeing we couldn't cruise on

Sun Princess last week from Brisbane. :(

Have you heard from Amanda lately?

Cheers

Robyn

I'm going to be different and say you don't need to worry about it for a few reasons:

1) Being in the US, and AZ, it's likely going to be hard to get NZ dollars - Australian dollars are hard enough over there! If you're near Phoenix and/or happy to order in you can probably get some, but it won't be easy, and may cost more due to the low volume they have

2) The ship will almost certainly have them. Even if not, it's very easy and you can get a quite good rate for USD from a bank in NZ. If you use the credit card at an ATM, you may pay a few per cent, but I would still expect this is better than the cash rate/commission that you pay ordering cash from your bank (though it depends which bank, some will be better/worse than others).

For convenience, getting them in advance will mean you don't have to spend time converting when you're travelling. If you shop around though, you can probably get similar rates either over there or here.

I agree with the others...get your cash before you come over. Work out how much the tours are, add some for small purchases and buy. I believe the reason most operators prefer cash is because in some instances they would also have to pay a fee for credit card. Also, on rare occassions, a ship may not be able to get into the particular port. I have heard this happening in Dunedin....but very rare. Hence, if this happens, then it saves all the financial mucking around re refunds.

You are going to love it over here and in NZ. We are a very honest bunch, so cash payment if the way to go.

Jen

And of course the tour operators like the cash so as ye olde tax man does not know !

Who knoweth what monies the tour operator makes, only he.

By way of example, I just checked what it would cost you for 1000NZD between buying from Bank of America over there vs buying from Bank of NZ here:

BoA: US$833.60

BNZ: US$817.60

The other thing to consider though is buying now vs buying later. If you are worried about the US currency going down, it would be better to buy now as you're locking in this rate (even if you pay a bit more for it over there). If you believe your currency could fall, if you wait until your cruise it will cost you more.

Though of course, if you believe the US currency will get stronger, it would be better to wait, which would make it cost you even less than the above for NZD.

And of course the tour operators like the cash so as ye olde tax man does not know !

Who knoweth what monies the tour operator makes, only he.

Hehehe, Les:D I was thinking of that when I typed my previous post. Now, did they take two or twenty-two on the tour:eek:

Jen

NZ Tourism the official government agency is well established in NZ and are easily found in every port. You will find they run tours to all the main attractions a number of times throughout the day at at least half the cost of the ships tours. You can pay with a credit card and be assured that you will have a good tour and be back at the ship in time without any worries.

Archived