Sun Princess..Townsville.

Sun Princess is anchored just off Townsville today. We are following friends on this cruise and just wondered how far out from Townsville do they have to anchor and then tender ashore?

I know Pacific Sun can enter the port and dock , but Sun Princess must be too big.

Also with the new developments coming up at Townsville will the bigger ships be able to dock, or will they still have to tender ashore?

Our ship (Regent Voyager) was small enough to be able to dock at Townsville but to be honest I'd have preferred anchoring with a view and then tendering in as we were tied up at a very industrial sugar cane wharf and had to shuttle bus into town where there wasn't very much happening to be honest. It didn't help that it was a Sunday and many places were closed. I'm not sure why cruiselines put Townsville on their itineraries compared to, say, Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays.

Sun Princess is anchored just off Townsville today. We are following friends on this cruise and just wondered how far out from Townsville do they have to anchor and then tender ashore?

I know Pacific Sun can enter the port and dock , but Sun Princess must be too big.

Also with the new developments coming up at Townsville will the bigger ships be able to dock, or will they still have to tender ashore?

We called into Townsville on the Pacific Sun and the Captain said they wouldn't know until close to arriving whether we would dock or tender. According to the Shore Tours Manager the answer was dock, then .. no it will be tender ... and then at the last minute it was dock. I think it is all up to the Harbour Master.

The larger ships always have to tender pax ashore. It is quite an pleasant and scenic tender trip, going past Magnetic Island.

We called into Townsville on the Pacific Sun and the Captain said they wouldn't know until close to arriving whether we would dock or tender. According to the Shore Tours Manager the answer was dock, then .. no it will be tender ... and then at the last minute it was dock. I think it is all up to the Harbour Master.

The larger ships always have to tender pax ashore. It is quite an pleasant and scenic tender trip, going past Magnetic Island.

I think the Harbour Master at Tvl gives priority for cattle and other industrial ships dockside. Tvl is not really a tourist distination so the tourist dollar does not really pay the bills.

TVL is getting a new dedicated cruise ship facility soon that will make things a bit easier for that segment of the shipping industry.

Archived