Cooking Classes on the Marina

Cookie1

Hello - we are recently back from the Enchanted Rivera's Cruise, and we took 4 cooking classes on the Marina.

As I tried to research this before I left, and there were not a lot of detailed posts regarding the cooking school, I thought I should make a post

Class 1

Chicken Two Ways

We did this class with our friends, although the information on the internet said class started at 4:30, our information left in our stateroom stated that the class started at 4 pm (this was a good thing!)

We arrived, and Chef Kelly was very welcoming. She had 3 assistants, Chef Daniel, Chef Ralf (Privee) and then little Putu. I Identified with Putu, he was the unsung hero - organizing all the ingredients at the station, doing all the clean up, and pouring the wine - always with a smile on his face.

We did actually learn some great tips regarding cooking chicken, and the proper preparation. Chef Kelly made sure that we all relaxed and had fun. The class lasted about 2 hours, and we 'sampled' what we made.

On all the cooking class evenings, we made sure not to have any special dining ressies, so we either did the Terrace, or nothing at all, or on one occasion, the grand dining room. To be honest, we should have 'sampled' less during our cooking classes, as we were quite full for any meal that followed (in fact, one night, we totally skipped dinner)

Class 2

Pasta Three Ways

Chef Kelly instructed this class, and it was a lot of fun. We watched her make pasta dough (I found out I need to buy double O flour to get good pasta results, am now trying to find it at home).

Lots of practical instruction, including how to properly salt the water ( I apparently do not use enough salt at home) Fun class, and Putu brought the wine around frequently, so a great time was had by all. The pasta was awesome, we ate too much to go out for dinner that night.

Class 3

Greek Market and cooking

Ok - this was SO MUCH fun. We had Chef Suzie Heller who subbed in for Chef Kelly (Chef Kellys daughter was having some engagement thing, and she had to go and meet the inlaws)

Chef Suzie was so sweet. She gave a lot of information when we walked around the market, but the best part was her amazement and love of the fresh produce. She talked to all the sellers, and we bought several things at the market in Corfu to use in the class in the afternoon. (market was 9-1, class was 4-6). We bought zucchini flowers to stuff, and some local greens, she also purchased a local wine ( I want to call it retsina , some sort of wine wash from pots that hold wine - very vile) for us to sample. Also some eggplants, and a few other things. Again, poor Putu was the workhorse, holding on to all the supplies, while the other chefs darted around touching, tasting and talking to the locals.

Suzie had to modify the class because we had bought so much stuff at the market, and she totally changed around the menu. The class went on for the full two hours, maybe because of the additional ingrediants, we went a little over. She warned people who had an early dining reservation, they may have to leave before the class was over, but I dont think anyone did.

The class was a hoot - chef Suzie kept us hopping the whole time, the stuffed zuchini flower was the hilight. The class was outstanding, and I really felt like I learned a few key tips to help me out at Home

Class 4

Pizza Party

Chef Suzie also did the Pizza Party class. This was my least favourite class, not because it was not well instructed, but we had a lot of observers in the class who kept talking, and it was distracting and hard to hear Suzie.

I also wanted to learn how to make the dough, but because it had to rise, the dough had already been made. We did have a lot of fun with the toppings, and did a regular pizza, a grilled pizza, and a deep dish pizza.

All in all, the cooking classes were one of the highlights of the whole trip on the Marina. We learnt something, we laughed a lot, and had a good time. If you get the opportunity, I would highly recommend doing a cooking class on the Marina.

After we arrived back home, my Husband was watching Hells Kitchen, and who do you suppose the guest chef was? Suzie Heller!

We were thinking about buying the Oceania cookbook, but were worried about weight in the suitcases, so instead, we bought the apron at the gift shop, and had all the chefs from the school sign it.

Overall, I would rate the cooking classes a 4 star on the Oceania -lots of fun for the casual cook to learn a new thing or two.

Hope this helps

~A

Thanks for the excellent run-down on the classes. We're boarding Marina next month and I wasn't considering any of the classes (we only have one sea day which doesn't help) but now I think I will!

If observers are talking so much that the participants cannot hear the instructors, then SOMEBODY should say SOMETHING.

Even throw them out ...

Just sayin'!

Mura

We booked ours in advance, so I don't know how difficult it was to pick up a class last minute. I do know that our first class only had about 16 people, and I think they can have 24 or 28. By the last class we took - its was full - perhaps because people kept walking by and seeing how much fun we were having - they decided to try one!

Its not for the gourmet cook - in fact, perhaps an advanced cook may be bored or not have as much fun. This is just my opinion - but the classes were fairly simple - but we did learn how to taste olive oil (smear it on your tongue) - that medium size eggs are better tasting then large eggs - (the bigger the egg, the older the hen) and water for the pasta should be very brine-y indeed. And, lots of other things as well.

I think part of the fun was the atmosphere -- it was relaxed, and the wine made it feel like a party.

Also, they used only the best - the basalmic we used in our dishes was the stuff that was 90 a bottle - the produce was beautiful and expertly prepped by the chefs - and just gorgeous.

Also, with Chef Kelly, she did try to educate us on the wine we were tasting, and how it married to the particular dishes or flavors we were incorporating.

Mura- our cruise had NO sea days - so we just tried to pick the ports where we knew we were taking it easy - cannes and portofino, ect...

And Chef Suzie did try and 'sush' our audience - but they just did not pay attention to her - I was aggrevated to say the least. On this cruise in particular, there were some very rude people (not necessarily in our class, the observers were only mildly disrupptive, but some of the displays I witness on this cruise were unbelievable!! In fact, its really the only big con of our first O cruise - but I digress)

And Chef Suzie did try and 'sush' our audience - but they just did not pay attention to her - I was aggrevated to say the least. On this cruise in particular, there were some very rude people (not necessarily in our class, the observers were only mildly disrupptive, but some of the displays I witness on this cruise were unbelievable!! In fact, its really the only big con of our first O cruise - but I digress)

I would be annoyed as well

You are paying for the class & they should not allow observers in the room

They do not allow observers while you have a spa treatment it should work the same way

it is your money & you should be able to get the full value from the classes without outside disruptions

JMO

Lyn

Thank you, Cookie1 for the excellent review of your cooking classes. We took one class on our Baltic cruise this past June. We had Chef and really enjoyed her.

Our class was just as you described, a lot of fun! Of course, my DH and I arrived a minute or two late because we had just been to a Martini tasting, which made the class even more fun!;)

I tried to insert a picture, but I guess it was too large.:(

Once you are booked and the excursions for your cruise are up, you can book cookinf classes. I took the french 1 and 2 for a total of 129 $US--booked before we sailed. Am a fairly accomplished cook but found much good info from Chef Kelly and staff. The classes are geared for the "average" cook. Even a really good chef would enjoy the ambiance. Fortunately, we had no loud audience--justa lot of fun and good food. Pat

That was a very good and accurate review of the cooking classes. We took seven on our last cruise London to Rome. Chef Kelly has a blog at

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/bon-appetit-culinary-center/

We first found out about the wonderful program on the Miami to San Francisco inaugural cruise where we took a few classes. We can't give enough praise to Chef Kelly an her manner of teaching. No matter the level of your cooking you always pick up something new in her classes.

Yorkiemom- I can only imagine what the class would be like to do after a martini tasting! (note to self......martini tasting ...:>)

I should have said - an accomplished chef MAY not enjoy the course as much - it really was informative and fun- I am glad that accomplished cooks have enjoyed it.

I think if Chef Kelly was doing the pizza class, she would have made short work of those observers - but chef Suzie was so gentle and polite. I felt for her.

And, the dishes we made were all wonderful - that was the problem, - couldn't just sample them- kinda had to eat them.

I miss Putu - I kinda wanted to take him home with me -- have someone prepare all the ingrediants, set everything up, serve the wine, clean away the dishes and do all the clean up -- all with a friendly smile. I wonder if he gets the dogs jobs because he is training up to be a chef, and has to put in the grunt work first?

I took a class this spring w/Chef Kelly and agree she would not have put up with loud on-lookers. It was a lot of fun. And agreeing w/Cookie1, one of the great pleasures was the fact we just had to cook and eat - none of the measuring, clean-up or mundane tasks. I'd cook alot more at home if that was the case! I hope to do another class when we are back on the Marina in February.

i

Archived