Tipping Observation

gotallanswers

Hello

I know I am going to get flamed for this and going to be called a troll. Just because my post count is low, doesn't mean I am one. I am a long time reader, just don't post often. I have been a member since December of 2009.

One of the first things I do when I get onboard is remove my automatic gratuities. I do know the crew works hard, but I don't appreciate a company telling me how much to tip. A tip is given when you get good service and you are at the discretion of you, only to decide on what to give. The company should pay the employees a salary that doesn't rely on customer's tips.

Hello

I know I am going to get flamed for this and going to be called a troll. Just because my post count is low, doesn't mean I am one. I am a long time reader, just don't post often. I have been a member since December of 2009.

One of the first things I do when I get onboard is remove my automatic gratuities. I do know the crew works hard, but I don't appreciate a company telling me how much to tip. A tip is given when you get good service and you are at the discretion of you, only to decide on what to give. The company should pay the employees a salary that doesn't rely on customer's tips.

This is very typical for a starving college student to make.

Just an FYI cruise ship workers are not paid by US standards but by whatever the standards are where the ship is registered at.

Do some research at college and eat at fast food or campus dinning. When you go home tell your parents what your tipping practices are and see what they say.

I'm truly just curious, is this something you have put into practice just since you turned 18 in May, or something your parents have done on your 8 or so other cruises before you were 18? Either way, you have read enough here to know you will just get flamed, so what was your point in starting this thread?

I completely agree with Gotallanswers on this one. Most cruisers are too ashamed to admit this. The EMPLOYER should pay a living wage to the ship's crew. This doesn't mean that the cruisers will NOT tip, but will tip as to what kind of service they get. This subject is completely misunderstood. Where else in the world, do you tip BEFORE you get served. More cruisers should STAND UP and be counted on this one, and maybe this practice would stop.

If you remove the tips and don't tip period because you are protesting the company policy, that is just plain wrong, wrong, wrong. Why would you punish the innocent party? I always like to leave the impression that Americans are kind generous people. If I can't afford to tip, I can't afford to cruise.

No where do I read that the OP will not tip - in fact he states a tip is given when service is good.

I can see many people's point that they don't like to have Carnival already tack the charge on your credit card even before sailing off. What if your cabin attendant is horrible? I know you can remove them, but who wants to feel the guilt of having to remove them?

It's like tangling a bone in front of dog and telling him if he is good in one week he can have it. Why even show it to him until he has earned it?

Just my 2 cents worth.

I completely agree with Gotallanswers on this one. Most cruisers are too ashamed to admit this. The EMPLOYER should pay a living wage to the ship's crew. This doesn't mean that the cruisers will NOT tip, but will tip as to what kind of service they get. This subject is completely misunderstood. Where else in the world, do you tip BEFORE you get served. More cruisers should STAND UP and be counted on this one, and maybe this practice would stop.

Don't agree. For example, I walk into a sit down restaurant knowing I will be tipping. I walk in the door with a 15% attitude. That 15% is for average service. For good service, I give 20%. For great service, I increase to 25%. For below average, I decrease to 10%. And for horrid, I leave a penny so the server knows they were horrid and not just being stiffed.

I like the convenience of having gratuties added - that way I don't have to seek out everyone who serves me (unless they provided better than average service - so I can give them extra) and have to worry about taking all that extra cash and time.

Furthermore, if the industry starts paying them a higher wage, they will raise the base fare to cover this. Then people will complain they are charging too much.

I will keep my personal tipping habits to myself. However, most wait staff here in the States don't make a living wage. For example, I can tell you that the IHOP near my house pays the wait staff about $3/hr (if that) plus tips. Now, they are required to pay the difference if a staff members' tips and hourly wage do not equal the minimum wage rate per hour. But they do depend on the tips to live. Obviously, you've never held one of these positions or know anyone who has or you would have a different opinion.

I like auto tips.. I know the staff will be tipped and I don't have to think about it. And if they do something above and beyond I can show my appreciation.

But I didn't cruise before auto tipping so I can't say the service was better or not. And then again I've never left a land resturant without leaving a tip even if I was less impressed with the service. But I've done my bit in waiting tables..

I don't have an actual opinion on the topic...I am just curious....one can "remove" the tips??? You simply go to the the purser's desk and tell them NOT to charge you the tips?? :confused:

Yes, you can have the tips removed. They are not mandatory.

You don't pay for the tip ahead of time unless you prepay which is up to the individual.......You pay you bill at the end of the cruise.....tips included.

You are all missing the point. Only in North America do the customers pay the wages of the worker. The EMPLOYER should pay the wages. You are all assuming that I do not pay tips - this is completely wrong. I do pay tips at whatever rate I think is applicable. I absolutely hate it when a cruise ship employee thinks he has to bow down to my husband and I in order to get more tips. Nobody should have to do that. In other parts of the world (mainly Europe), workers earn a living wage and don't have to grovel or embarass themselves in order to be given tips. I do not give tips in order to feel better about myself, I give tips when I genuinely think the worker has done a good job for me and I want to show my thankfullness and respect to these workers. Why does everything come down to dollars and cents with North Americans - I find it very distasteful.

The basic cruise price (at Carnival and a few other lines) is actually ridiculously low. You won't spend a week at Vail or Orlando or Hollywood as low as $470 per person, covering your lodging, meals, entertainment, taxes and tips. (I'm leaving out all the crazy money that people blow while on vacation, of course.)

We don't get something for nothing, so let's say that Carnival decided to follow the Op's line of reasoning. Their composite pay for workers would then be that much lower. I don't think Carnival would get away with it. Quality of workers would drop, and worker discontent would rise. So base pay would simply need to be increased. Carnival would have raise the price of cruises to compensate. Now they would start at $470 per person. All over again.

The fact is -- come on we know it's true -- that many people would simply not give out any tips at all if it wasn't automatically added to the Sail and Sign, great service or not. Anyone who's ever worked in service industries knows that. I'm struck by the oddness of the statement that "The company should pay the employees a salary that doesn't rely on customer's tips," by someone who's essentially taking away part of the salary.

You are all missing the point. Only in North America do the customers pay the wages of the worker. The EMPLOYER should pay the wages. You are all assuming that I do not pay tips - this is completely wrong. I do pay tips at whatever rate I think is applicable. I absolutely hate it when a cruise ship employee thinks he has to bow down to my husband and I in order to get more tips. Nobody should have to do that. In other parts of the world (mainly Europe), workers earn a living wage and don't have to grovel or embarass themselves in order to be given tips. I do not give tips in order to feel better about myself, I give tips when I genuinely think the worker has done a good job for me and I want to show my thankfullness and respect to these workers. Why does everything come down to dollars and cents with North Americans - I find it very distasteful.

You're missing the point. Either way the customer pays. Either directly or indirectly. If Carnival pays them a living wage, where do you think the money comes from?? From their profits? Not likely. Everything comes down to dollars and cents everywhere. BTW, even before auto tip, on 26 cruises, I have never seen a worker embaress themselves or grovel. They just want to please the customer. It's their job, everyone has to please some one at their job.

Ok. So let's raise the cruise fare $70 per person and remove the auto-gratuities. Would that satisfy you?

Hello

So at the end do you put your tips back on the account, and if so, are they typically the same, more, or less than what Carnival orig had on?

Archived