Going Commando!!!!

Archie4

You have three options -

1. pack enough to last the entire trip

2. use the laundry service - they normally have specials midweek

3. go Commando

Well I guess you can wash in sink - there is a laundry line in the shower.

I agree these are probably the right answers. I've used the laundry service and it was quite nice, and not too terribly expensive. Though, of course, you know they're going to charge as much as they think they can for it! I forget how much it was, but I did a whole bag for a couple bucks ($25 +/- or there abouts??????????)

Well Roitan I've heard very little about this Quest thing and now youre starting to unnerve me a bit lol!! Might have to reserve a pose pouch for that night lol!!!

Laundry bag looking good.................but not for whoevers in the laundry that day!!!!!

Boxers dry fast. Unless you have wool ones anyway. :p Wash in sink and dry on balcony over night (while ship underway). I use heavy duty wood clamps on deck chair. As far as appearance only the fishies know.

Next cruise is 15 nights so we plan to do a fair amount of sink laundry on sea days. We still do the laundry bag deal for difficult items.

Is there a facility for washing the boxers!!!? (vison of balconies with washing lines full of kacks):eek:

And dare I say what about ironing ( no not the boxers ) is there a facility on Explorer for this??

I have to laugh at this... when I was on Oasis there was a couple in the concierge lounge and they told me that they didn't like the Oasis and wouldn't be sailing her again. The reason for this was that they thought the Boardwalk cabins looked like a tenement! I can only imagine what they would have thought if they had seen "unmentionables" drying on the balconies rather than towels. :rolleyes:

Do NOT dry things on the balcony. That's prohibited.

I've never been able to find any documentation for this. Searched all over the RCI site as well as Google. Can't find it in cruise contract or any FAQs or rules online.

Not withstanding that we only dry items while we are present in the cabin and if they are dry enough to burn then it is time to bring them in, most often before going to sleep. Especially in a damp maritime environment a cigarette ember or butt would be unlikely to cause ignition of less that toasty dry fabric.

Cigarette flipping oafs beg a better prohibition - on smoking on balcony to begin with. Address the safety hazard at the origin.

I've never been able to find any documentation for this. Searched all over the RCI site as well as Google. Can't find it in cruise contract or any FAQs or rules online.

Not withstanding that we only dry items while we are present in the cabin and if they are dry enough to burn then it is time to bring them in, most often before going to sleep. Especially in a damp maritime environment a cigarette ember or butt would be unlikely to cause ignition of less that toasty dry fabric.

Cigarette flipping oafs beg a better prohibition - on smoking on balcony to begin with. Address the safety hazard at the origin.

Hmmm. I agree. I always put our suits on the chairs ( weave them through the straps so they don't blow off) to dry. they will never dry if I just hang them in the shower. As far as the undershorts... send them off to the laundry, but for DH, I just pack ALOT of extras.

At $1.25 per pair for washing underwear or a pair of socks, we found it to be cheaper to pay per item than to pay the $25 bag fee.

It actually cost us more with the bag deal, since all of the clothing had to be sent back out for pressing, it was wash and fold. We didn't know it was the "bag special" day, our cabin steward changed it after we had left for the day.

We send a few things out to laundry/dry cleaning every cruise and usually spend around $25 for the week. That's for a few pair of underwear, a few pair of pants dry cleaned, a couple shirts laundered.

So my answer would be, if it's only a few pair of underwear, just pay a few bucks and have them washed. Saves a bit of packing space and fewer stinky underpants to have in the homeward bound trip.

Every cruise I've been on at the muster drill, the Captain of the ship states not to leave anything hanging on the balcony. They also state not to throw anything off the ship, not cigarette butts, not breadcrumbs for the birds, nor dumping liquids. Yet every cruise I'm on I observe this behavior. It has never been proven, but the Princess fire from years ago was thought to be caused by a cigarette butt thrown off and landing on a balcony that had a towel or clothing hanging out there.

All it takes is for some oaf to flip their cigarette butt over the railing, have it land on your balcony on your clothing, and a fire could ensue.

Don't want to end up with Hot Pants lol!!!

Or take disposable underwear i.e your oldest boxers. Wear once and toss. (Or perhaps twice--once on each side???)
Seriously ???? Nothing makes me feel like I'm on a nice, pampered vacation than my oldest, holiest underwear!! :confused: :confused:

Every cruise I've been on at the muster drill, the Captain of the ship states not to leave anything hanging on the balcony. They also state not to throw anything off the ship, not cigarette butts, not breadcrumbs for the birds, nor dumping liquids. Yet every cruise I'm on I observe this behavior. It has never been proven, but the Princess fire from years ago was thought to be caused by a cigarette butt thrown off and landing on a balcony that had a towel or clothing hanging out there.

Agree with statements regarding prohibitions on discarding items off of balconies and the like, some for safety, others for ecology reasons.

Read alternate story regarding the Princess fire that a cigar was left lit adjacent to a balcony divider. A cigar burns hotter than a cigarette. The divider was not flame proof and was ignited.

Lucky for us the RCI dividers are flame proof, maybe as a result of this incident.

All it takes is for some oaf to flip their cigarette butt over the railing, have it land on your balcony on your clothing, and a fire could ensue.

I DONT WANT TO START...BUT, isnt the bigger problem the JERK that throws a cig butt over board? that has got to be one of the worse things i can think of, and dont get me wrong im no "tree hugger" but, if you MUST smoke and ruin my trip with your bad habit dont throw the butt over board! the thought just boils my blood.:mad:

the cruise lines allow smoking, but you cant bring an iron? BAN SMOKING!

anthony

I have to laugh at this... when I was on Oasis there was a couple in the concierge lounge and they told me that they didn't like the Oasis and wouldn't be sailing her again. The reason for this was that they thought the Boardwalk cabins looked like a tenement! I can only imagine what they would have thought if they had seen "unmentionables" drying on the balconies rather than towels. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with them.

Nothing like strolling along and getting a view of all of their "undies". And yes, pax hung undies.:rolleyes:.

It really peeves me off when I am prevented from doing something that is part of normal daily life, because of the stupidity of others.

If safety was an issue, then we should not be allowed out on the balcony at all because someone might throw a cigarette butt and burn us.

I can understand not being allowed to hang out clothing on the internal balconies. And which remind me somewhat of animal transport trucks to be honest.

Seriously ???? Nothing makes me feel like I'm on a nice, pampered vacation than my oldest, holiest underwear!! :confused: :confused:

ha ha ha this thread is cracking me up! :D

I just wash them in the sink and hang them in the bathroom. im a bit paranoid when i see the cabins been cleaned and im like oh no my knickers are hanging up everywhere! I dont want the cabin steward to see:o when he passes me in the hallway he's probably thinking theres that woman with the nice underwear lol

Archived