late flight -will the ship wait ?l

suggabuttyboy

Why would my sugar butty post disappear, sometime after the OP quoted it? :confused:

I've looked back in my posts, and it's not there either.....

I'll stick to chip butties- a good Liverpool invention...

Back on topic:

The famous train, which picks up from Scotland down to S'ton for Cunard, was late last year, and the ship waited for that....2 or 3 hours, I believe.

A package looks after you from the moment you sign in, until they can get you to the ship.

Jo.

:confused::confused::confused:

Not necessarily true. There are circumstances where the ship will not wait even if there are 200 cruise/air passengers who are late. Depending on the port, the harbormaster could order the ship to depart in order to free up a berth. This happened on a Royal Caribbean cruise I was here then another time there was a snowstorm which delayed a number of flights, and the captain had no choice to depart because he was ordered to do so, despite the fact that a couple of flights were less than an hour from landing

It's the same for ship tours that are late. It's a fallacy that the ship will wait for their tours, but situations can dictate that a ship must leave. Heck, just a few weeks ago, a couple of ships left San Juan early because of a hurricane, stranding upwards of 500 people.

Regarding this subject: on our last cruise on the Golden Princess in December,the captain announced that our 4pm sailaway will be delayed for about 90 minutes because there were about 200 passengers on their way from the UK to Los Angeles. This was a few days after Heathrow had been closed due to heavy snowfall. On top of this, we'd at least seven straight days of rain here in Los Angeles (and if you've ever try to get anyway in LA during a rainstorm...). A few hours, the passengers still hadn't arrived. At 8:30, our ship was leaving without the Brits. The talk was that maybe some will try to fly on to Hilo (our first port) and board there. Never know if any of them did get on in any port. Any Brits we met during the cruise told us they had made their own flight arrangements and flew in at least a few days early (one couple had made their way to Paris and caught a flight from there).

The lesson is to not try to fly in the day of your cruise, and if international travel is involved, pad in extra days too.

Our ship was delayed for several hours during a recent cruise because a group of passengers' flight arrived late. The knock-on effect was that we missed the next stop on our itinerary completely because we missed our tide "window" to reach the port. So we got an extra sea day instead (fine with us!) but we never found out why the captain was prepared (or maybe instructed?) to wait.

The obvious solution is to arrive the day before the ship departs.

Cuban cigars are illegal in the US. They can be purchased by US citizens, in foreign countries, but they cannot be brought back to the States.

actually no they can't. Its illegal for US nationals to purchase/possess Cubans anywhere in the world. It is a stupid rule.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

Ouch, you've been given some seriously duff info on this thread - shame on those who got it wrong :(

The terms may be different in the US of A, but:

You have booked a Cunard fly-cruise from the UK. Therefore Cunard are responsible for getting you to the ship on time. And if it doesn't happen they will have to sort out an overnite hotel, onward flight etc.

They take care of the revised arrangements, they foot the bill. One of the advantages of a fly-cruise package.

(doesn't apply if you book your own flights, even if you do it through the same T/A at the same time).

If you're on a scheduled flight & other flights aren't disrupted, the ship is very unlikely to wait unless there are a stack of other cruisers on the same flight.

But Cunard do often charter aircraft (mainly from BA I think), in which case all passengers on the flight will be on the same cruise.

Cunard will not want to leave a couple of hundred passengers behind, cos it'll cost them a bucket of cash.

So the ship is likely to wait. Whether & for how long depends on circumstances -how many passengers would be left behind, availability of the pier, availability of tugs, port tides, weather reports, time & distance to the first port-of-call (its no co-incidence that the first port-of-call is usually a very slow & easy sail), etc etc.

As a very rough yardstick, three to four hours is not unusual.

JB :)

Spot on John Bull

Irresponsible idiots with limited knowledge giving thr wrong information is the worst part of Cruise Critic

Jo,My post was removed too,just because I mentioned the Lancs word for

sandwich! Would chip b---- be as bad ?

How ridiculous,how hypocritical.

Cheers!

Cheers back, Ookpik....I'm bemused, because a butty is so widely used in shops- buttery bread, is all!

I can't begin to think what someone would think it meant, as it doesn't sound like anything rude to me....

On Topic: It's a UK package for suggabuttyboy.

It will be OK!!!

That's why we buy the packages....:D;)

Jo.

And if I can chip in I think it is helpful for at least a country to be on the CP. Or even a State or Province. It helps in certain cases to bring some context to a post or start of a thread. Not sure why that might be a problem.

I don't have my location listed but I'm pretty sure there can be no doubt about where I live. :D

I don't have my location listed but I'm pretty sure there can be no doubt about where I live. :D

Yep, fair play to you, dinkum Sheila.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Dallas,+Victoria,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-37.71859,145.019531&spn=57.15147,98.789063&sll=32.805745,-96.767578&sspn=3.868476,6.174316&vpsrc=6&t=m&z=3

JB :D

Sorry but if the plane has been chartered by the Cruise Line then the ship will wait - within reason of course.

Same with P&O - on our 2009 cruise, the plane was delayed for 4 hours (7 hours sitting in Heathrow:eek:!!!), and the ship waited. Admittedly, the buses broke all landspeed records getting us from Barbados airport to the cruise terminal, and they were practically pulling up the gangway as we scampered across it, but still - they did wait.

• 7 months later...
Dunno about Cunard, but NCL is going to fly us out the day before and put us in a hotel near the pier. Sounds far safer that what is being offered to you....

You do realize this thread is nearly a year old and the OP has most likely already cruised.

Why? OP states only that they are in Preston. Besides many other places in the world that have cities named "Preston", there are many states in the US which have a city named "Preston", including Idaho, Maryland, Georgia, Washington, Texas, and on and on.

Not being a mind reader, there's no way anyone here would know exactly where OP lived.

You do realize this thread is nearly a year old and the OP has most likely already cruised.

LOL Yes, I realize that what I said will likely NOT help the OP, but for other readers, like myself, who are reading as prep, my response may be of some help. The point remains that they could probably get the cruiseline to fly them out a day early. In a perfect world the cruiseline will pay for their overnight accomodations, but even if they don't they could probably find an inexpensive hotel and avoid all that anxiety of possibly missing the ship. An ounce of prevention and all that muck.

Yes, as already stated, this thread is very old. OP went back and added his location after this thread died the natural death it should have had. Unfortunately, some necroposting brought it back to life.

SURE WHY NOT that way everyone can just show up when ever they want no reason to have a scheldule.LETS just make a thousand pepole wait for others to arrive when every it is convient for them.Its not that the cruise line is trying to make a profit or anything:eek:,Just call ahead I am sure they will wait for every last person to slowly waddle on board:rolleyes:

Archived