Which Southbound Ship and Embarkation Port?

TracyL

I would like to surprise my husband with a trip to Alaska to celebrate his retirement next June. We will fly into Anchorage and take a 4-night land tour to Denali and then head to Seward or Whittier (we will spend a few days at the port city for fishing before the cruise). My choice of ships is; Island Princess, Sapphire Princess, Coral Princess, Diamond Princess, RCCL - Radiance of the Seas, HAL- Statendam or Zaandam.

I'm leaning towards HAL or Princess since they cruise Glacier Bay and RCCL doesn't. I have cruised Alaska before, however, I've never cruised on HAL or Princess.

I would prefer a ship that has some good interior viewing areas where you can sit a long time without getting cold.

If Salmon and Halibut fishing is better out of Seward or Whittier, I would love to know. Also, since I probably won't go out fishing (I may one of the days), which port has more things to do?

One last question, Zaandam is going to Haines instead of Skagway, we've been to Skagway, so I'm thinking that going to Haines might be fun, any comments on Haines?

We've been on 5 cruises todate, 2 Carnival, 2 RCCL and one Celebrity (Alaska), we've never had a bad cruise and I'm sure whatever ship we choose we will feel the same.

A vote for Coral.

We were in Haines, many years ago, there was little of interest there, of course things may have changed.

On the other hand as Skagway has so, so many options, there is no way to cover all bases there in one ,two three, or even four +++ visits.

john

If Salmon and Halibut fishing is better out of Seward or Whittier, I would love to know. Also, since I probably won't go out fishing (I may one of the days), which port has more things to do?

Both Whittier & Seward have nice day cruises for glacier and wildlife viewing. Other than that, Whittier does not have much going on. Seward has quite a bit with the Sealife Center, Exit Glacier & Seavey's Sled Dog Tours to name a few.

Both Whittier & Seward have nice day cruises for glacier and wildlife viewing. Other than that, Whittier does not have much going on. Seward has quite a bit with the Sealife Center, Exit Glacier & Seavey's Sled Dog Tours to name a few.

Unfortunately, the only southbound cruises from Seward are HAL, and I'm not feeling optimistic after reading a few reviews. I may need to stick with Princess and go out of Whittier.

Unfortunately, the only southbound cruises from Seward are HAL, and I'm not feeling optimistic after reading a few reviews. I may need to stick with Princess and go out of Whittier.

I think RCCL and Celebrity also cruise out of Seward - or at least they did when I started my research on which cruise to take in 2013! If they changed, I may have to rethink some of my planning! YIKES!:eek:

I've been reading the boards for quite some time. Initially I was going to take HAL, even with the reviews you mention, but when I found out they don't release their verandah cabins until their cruisetour guests have booked, they were off my list (I wanted a specific location for cabin so would want to book right when schedules come out). This is just for the north/southbound only, by the way...

After reading 10 million more reviews (okay maybe it was just in the hundreds!), I decided on Radiance southbound out of Seward in 2013. In addition to Hubbard Glacier (seems to be pretty even split on this board on which is better - Hubbard or Glacier Bay, so I get one of them!), I figured I can get additional glacier "fixes" by:

- Visiting Exit Glacier the afternoon we arrive in Seward

- Next day in Seward doing all day Northwestern Fjords tour

- Stopping at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

- Doing Glacier Point Wildnerness Safari in Skagway (don't shoot me but didn't want to do the train....), which I believe is Davidson Glacier (could be wrong on name). This excursion is only thru the ship, but I believe Princess offers it as well; not sure about HAL.

So I feel confident that I will get a good glacier experience while sailing on the ship I determined will be the best for our group. Just something you may want to consider if you aren't sold on Princess either...

I've been reading the boards for quite some time. Initially I was going to take HAL, even with the reviews you mention, but when I found out they don't release their verandah cabins until their cruisetour guests have booked, they were off my list (I wanted a specific location for cabin so would want to book right when schedules come out). This is just for the north/southbound only, by the way...

After reading 10 million more reviews (okay maybe it was just in the hundreds!), I decided on Radiance southbound out of Seward in 2013. In addition to Hubbard Glacier (seems to be pretty even split on this board on which is better - Hubbard or Glacier Bay, so I get one of them!), I figured I can get additional glacier "fixes" by:

- Visiting Exit Glacier the afternoon we arrive in Seward

- Next day in Seward doing all day Northwestern Fjords tour

- Stopping at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

- Doing Glacier Point Wildnerness Safari in Skagway (don't shoot me but didn't want to do the train....), which I believe is Davidson Glacier (could be wrong on name). This excursion is only thru the ship, but I believe Princess offers it as well; not sure about HAL.

So I feel confident that I will get a good glacier experience while sailing on the ship I determined will be the best for our group. Just something you may want to consider if you aren't sold on Princess either...

If you don't mind my asking, could you tell me why you chose RCCL? I've been debating between them and Celebrity (itineraries are pretty much the same with Celebrity having longer port times - I believe). Are the RCCL 2013 Alaska bookings open yet? I didn't think they'd open till Spring of next year. Thanks for your help.

We are also looking at Alaska in 2013. We've cruised RCCL before (April 2010) with our kids and they just loved it - thus the reason for considering RCCL, but I really like the longer port times that Celebrity had when I first started on this madness called planning!

Yes, it IS madness - but such fun madness! As I said, originally I was 85% on booking HAL. When they fell off, I did consider Princess because they go to Glacier Bay. But based on all the reviews I've read the past year, the consistent issues for both HAL and Princess were concerning. I know for Alaska, the destination is most important and ship secondary, but I wanted to go on a ship with which I was 100% comfortable. In the end, the reviews on Radiance of the Seas, as well as other folks' comments about all the glass she has, etc., sold me. I basically went with my gut, which I think anyone needs to do after considering all the information and opinions from others!

I am looking at last week in May/second week in June 2013, and the port times were very good (same hours as Princess in port - 34.5, plus 9 hours tendered at Icy Strait Point), at least what they have online now, which should (hopefully) be the same for 2013. So I wouldn't be concerned too much about that aspect.

Oops! Almost forgot, 2013 itins aren't out yet, but someone posted on the RCI board that they are due to be posted in April 2013 - so I will start looking in February....lol!

So of course it's ultimately up to you and what you're looking for, but I'd only say to go with your gut in the end so YOUR happy with your trip! Hope this helped!

Yes, it IS madness - but such fun madness! As I said, originally I was 85% on booking HAL. When they fell off, I did consider Princess because they go to Glacier Bay. But based on all the reviews I've read the past year, the consistent issues for both HAL and Princess were concerning. I know for Alaska, the destination is most important and ship secondary, but I wanted to go on a ship with which I was 100% comfortable. In the end, the reviews on Radiance of the Seas, as well as other folks' comments about all the glass she has, etc., sold me. I basically went with my gut, which I think anyone needs to do after considering all the information and opinions from others!

I am looking at last week in May/second week in June 2013, and the port times were very good (same hours as Princess in port - 34.5, plus 9 hours tendered at Icy Strait Point), at least what they have online now, which should (hopefully) be the same for 2013. So I wouldn't be concerned too much about that aspect.

Oops! Almost forgot, 2013 itins aren't out yet, but someone posted on the RCI board that they are due to be posted in April 2013 - so I will start looking in February....lol!

So of course it's ultimately up to you and what you're looking for, but I'd only say to go with your gut in the end so YOUR happy with your trip! Hope this helped!

Thanks! I like all the glass of Radiance too. DH and I have been on Celebrity before and LOVED it - my favorite cruise so far (and it was my 3rd!). The kids have only been on one cruise and loved it. I think since Alaska is so much more about the ports (and the kids will be 17 & 13) that the kids may actually like the more laid back atmosphere of Celebrity after doing all the intense excursions. I am pretty set on Celebrity, but was just wondering if I overlooked something about RCCL.

Maybe we'll see you in AK in 2013! We're thinking early June right now. All depends on whether my oldest has his Eagle Rank in Scouting by then or if he'll need one more summer of camp to get the last minute things. Who knows - we may end up at a Meet N Greet together!!!

Have fun planning! I had to take a break for a while or I felt like my head would burst! My brother just got back from a week on the road in AK and he and I are going to get together to discuss some things to see/do.

Yeah, it's pretty overwhelming at first! I first starting reading the boards in mid-2010 for a possible 2011 trip. The more I read, the more I realized we couldn't afford to do it (or do it right anyway) that soon, and we have commitments in 2012. Even after realizing that, I couldn't stop reading...lol! But I, too, took a little break, then came back because I wanted to figure out how much I should save, so I've pretty much got my excursions down already! I may make a few tweaks, but of course, I'm so ready that I want to go now!

It's going to be a long wait, but if we end up on the same ship, at least it'll be fun talking about it with someone we might end up meeting!

There defintitely are diffferences between RCCL and X and alot of cc posts discuss them. You also may want to discuss this with a ta. We chose X for our southbound cruise next June from Seward. While we initially looked at HAL and Princess (we've been on both), due to their continued inconsistancies and our preferences, we chose X.

I think RCCL and Celebrity also cruise out of Seward - or at least they did when I started my research on which cruise to take in 2013! If they changed, I may have to rethink some of my planning! YIKES!:eek:

They do, however, they don't cruise Glacier Bay. We've already cruise Hubbard Glacier and would like to try Glacier Bay.

Now I'm rethinking things. One of the things I liked best about our Celebrity cruise to Alaska was all the glass areas. I never had problems finding a seat inside by a window to view the scenery. I've also cruised RCCL a couple times before and have been happy with them. I'm going to look closer at the Radiance. About the only drawback would be missing Glacier Bay, however, I think cruising out of Seward instead of Whittier would probably make up for that. I will also probably take a trip on a smaller boat to a Glacier while my husband is fishing.

You have listed most of the one way cruises sailing. :)

ANY cruise is a compromise. But with only having 4 days for interior Alaska touring, AND you wanting fishing, Seward is your better choice. With that, HAL would be my first choice, even with the balcony limits.

Haines is very worthwhile, especially since you have been to Skagway.

A suggestion to consider, is double booking with agents who do not charge any cancelation fees. HAL does release balcony cabins, times vary, but someone sailing this year did this as I suggested last year, and got their balcony. They had double booked.

Overall, any of these cruises will offer you a great trip. Frankly, however, planning this as a surprise, might be better with your husband's involvement. Some times, what you think is the way to go, isn't. :) He may have ideas you never thought of, or your times may be different etc.

A suggestion to consider, is double booking with agents who do not charge any cancelation fees. HAL does release balcony cabins, times vary, but someone sailing this year did this as I suggested last year, and got their balcony. They had double booked.

Well, aren't you going to be Miss Popularity with the booking agents of the world! Also works with hotels and air, when there's some indecision. :)

Archived