Ocean Princess internet

ksav8r

We were on the Tahitian Princess about 3 1/2 years ago which is now the Ocean Princess. The WiFi connection was slower than dial up and the signal didn't reach the cabin. We will be on the Ocean Princess next week (Oct. 8) and I was wondering if anybody knows what improvements have been made and/or if the connection is any faster?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Strength of the signal will vary with the distance from your cabin to the nearest signal.

If you find the signal in your cabin is weak, sometimes propping the door open will get you a strong enough signal.

Speed is the same (slow) as on all cruise ships, both Princess and non-Princess.

We didn't use our netbook on the Ocean (Tahitian), but we found on the Pacific our connection was pretty good, even in our aft OS. Now this past spring on the Royal, it was non-existant in our aft OS, and we had to take the netbook up to the buffet or Sabatinis in the morning to use it. The ass't Maitre d' showed me where the hot spots were and I had a pretty good connection up there. Still slow, but better than nothing in our stateroom.

Thank you everybody for your replies. It's a shame that the cruise ships charge so much for internet access given the level of service provided but I guess if you're the only game in town you can charge what you want.

I have to have access so I will just chug along :)

Paul

For us, one of the main reasons we cruise is to get OFF the grid for a week or two. DH is online and on call most of the day with his work so to get him unplugged for any length of time is wonderful.

No email, no phones, no cooking, no cleaning. I just LOVE cruising! :D

We were on the Tahitian Princess about 3 1/2 years ago which is now the Ocean Princess. The WiFi connection was slower than dial up and the signal didn't reach the cabin. We will be on the Ocean Princess next week (Oct. 8) and I was wondering if anybody knows what improvements have been made and/or if the connection is any faster?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Say hi to my friend Tina who will be using her netbook and will be advising me on internet access. When you get off on the 15th; we get on.

Bon Voyage!

• 3 weeks later...

We finished our cruise on the Ocean Princess on Saturday and I wanted to share my experience with their internet connection. I was impressed. Using my laptop in my stateroom, it was much faster than dial up and close to the speed I get at most hotels. I was even able to use Skype to make calls with no delays or problems (I had read somewhere that the cruise ships blocked Skype but apparently not all of them). Paying 35 cents per minute (my Princess plan rate) + 2.3 cents to Skype to call the US versus $2.49 per minute if I used my cellphone onboard was a nice surprise. Uploading a photo was also much faster than I expected.

Hopefully all ships will be upgraded soon.

Paul

We finished our cruise on the Ocean Princess on Saturday and I wanted to share my experience with their internet connection. I was impressed. Using my laptop in my stateroom, it was much faster than dial up and close to the speed I get at most hotels. I was even able to use Skype to make calls with no delays or problems (I had read somewhere that the cruise ships blocked Skype but apparently not all of them). Paying 35 cents per minute (my Princess plan rate) + 2.3 cents to Skype to call the US versus $2.49 per minute if I used my cellphone onboard was a nice surprise. Uploading a photo was also much faster than I expected.

Hopefully all ships will be upgraded soon.

Paul

Good to hear! Check out PIA's current live from the Ocean. :)

Archived