Purchasing onboard credit

madgemonica

For a previous Q.V. cruise a couple of years ago, I pre purchased some onboard credit so as not to have too big a shock at the end. I would like to do this again for my forthcoming cruise on Q.E. in November. Can you still do this?

Yes. Here's one method: See http://www.cunard.com/Documents/Gifts%20and%20Special%20Occasions/Gifts_Brochure.pdf

See "gift of choice".

I also try avoid the "shock at the end" by setting a budget for my on-board spending, and then asking at the Pursar's Desk for a print out of my chargers every few days...but you're right, it can be a real shock to get the final bill prior to disembarkation:eek: Considering currency fluctuations, it might be of some benefit to pre-purchase on board credits, but the Currency Market is yet another area of which I have no expertise:confused: :)

Happy November Voyage,

Salacia

For a previous Q.V. cruise a couple of years ago, I pre purchased some onboard credit so as not to have too big a shock at the end. I would like to do this again for my forthcoming cruise on Q.E. in November. Can you still do this?

You'll find that 'pre purchasing' US$ credit ( through Cunard) will not be to your advantage anymore (eg today 2011) as it was almost two years ago.

Cunard no longer offer those exceptional rates that we were once offered.

Today you will only be offerd the 'same rate' as in most of our high street banks or even higher.

Why not shop around ( as most of us are now doing) and buy your US$ before you leave ? ( a good place to start is the high street TA) You can still pre pay your account in US$ cash once you get onboard.

Bell Boy :)

So let me get this strait, you can pay Cunard in advance towards your final on board bill...??:confused:

Of course, and Cunard love you to do it as it means they get your money to put on deposit, rather than you holding it in a savings account and using that to pay your credit card bill, which gives you another period of free credit before your payment date.

As I am sure Cunard's accountant would say "every little helps"

David.

I have just checked their website $500,
What do you mean by that? The brochure linked above says any demonination from $25 upwards.

But I'm in the group that doesn't really understand why this is better than putting some money back in a savings account. 1% of $500 (or whatever) is still $5.

I think there is a bit of confusion here ? I believe The OP was referring to a time when those of us outside USA could pre purchase (through Cunard) US$ at an 'exceptionally good rate' ( better than any high street bank or money exchange) and then apply this (direct) to top up the onboard account. Although with this system any pre purchased US$ was not refundable if it was unused.

So let me get this strait, you can pay Cunard in advance towards your final on board bill...??:confused:

Yes ! But doing that these days is to no advantage to you as it would have been some time ago. Today the Cunard rate is much higher than a high street bank.

Some time ago Cunard were offering rates that would beat any high street money exchange.... In other words they were encouraging us to pre load our onboard account and in return we would be spending more !;)

Shop around, buy your US$ and then top up before your dissembark from the ship.

Bell Boy.:)

Although with this system any pre purchased US$ was not refundable if it was unused.

Yes it was. We had some unused OBC which we had bought and it was refunded. But it seems now that it no longer is according to Cunard's website.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/onboard_credit

Can I pre purchase On board Credit?

Yes. This is bookable through Reservations by credit or debit card and is charged in US dollars. Please note that any unused amount is non refundable

I think there is a bit of confusion here ? I believe The OP was referring to a time when those of us outside USA could pre purchase (through Cunard) US$ at an 'exceptionally good rate' ( better than any high street bank or money exchange) and then apply this (direct) to top up the onboard account. Although with this system any pre purchased US$ was not refundable if it was unused.
Nothing in the OP states or suggests that. Unlcear whether the poster is located in or outside of the USA. What is stated is "I pre purchased some onboard credit so as not to have too big a shock at the end" which could mean at a favorable exchange rate or could mean just putting some money aside at zero percent interest.
Shop around, buy your US$ and then top up before your dissembark from the ship.
Why would buying USD ever be cheaper than getting a charge in USD on a credit card? What kind of foreign exchange fees do you folks pay on credit card charges in USD?

If you are looking for the best exchange rate converting USD to GBP Or Euro, the best rate will be the overnight credit card rate. It will be better than the commercial or high street bank charge. This is due to the sheer volume of purchases the credit card organization make in various currencies overnight.

However, having said that, in the US, the banks have taken to adding an additional foreign currency charge, that could negate the card advantage. There are cards and Banks that don't do this, and I use one of them to make my purchases in other than USD. I don't know if the UK and European banks make this charge or not, it bears looking into.

Cheers Mike

Just to clear up a few points. Cunard at one time were offering passenger bought OBC at very favourable rates of exchange. I, as many others did at the time, filled my boots, and Cunard pulled the plug on this soon after.

A myth grew on these boards that the OBC was not refundable, probably because people were confusing self bought OBC with free OBC which is not, in other words that Cunard simply pocketed passengers cash. Of course this was untrue as posted above, and would have been unlawful and unethical if they had done it.

David.

A myth grew on these boards that the OBC was not refundable, probably because people were confusing self bought OBC with free OBC which is not, in other words that Cunard simply pocketed passengers cash. Of course this was untrue as posted above, and would have been unlawful and unethical if they had done it.

David.

See my post above. It seems like now they will not refund it.

Yes. This is bookable through Reservations by credit or debit card and is charged in US dollars. Please note that any unused amount is non refundable

Hello Ray 66, You are quite correct, Unused pre paid OBC was once refunded in the 'earlier days' ( I even managed to do that my self) However it did all change as it is now.. Some of us got stung by the new arrangments that seemed to change overnight .:mad:

$84 ! Thats a few more beers I could have enjoyed onboard ;)

Bell Boy.

Hello Ray 66, You are quite correct, Unused pre paid OBC was once refunded in the 'earlier days' ( I even managed to do that my self) However it did all change as it is now.. Some of us got stung by the new arrangments that seemed to change overnight .:mad:

$84 ! Thats a few more beers I could have enjoyed onboard ;)

Bell Boy.

So you are saying that Cunard kept, confiscated $84 of your own money? I am thinking of what a County Court judge would make of that situation. Did you ask for it back, did you go to the purser and demand it back. If you did and were refused did you not consider taking action to recover it.

What they did was illegal and they would not even have turned up in court to defend themselves.

David.

Well, apologies for my previous posts. Have just rung Cunard and asked about this and spoken to the rudest Cunard contact ever who confirmed that if I put OBC on my account for my upcoming W C segment I would lose any unspent.

All I could get from her was "It is company policy" and when I asked why it was company policy she finished up losing her rag completely.

There is no reason on earth for Cunard do this, which I still say is illegal. I tried to point out that it would be simple to refund money on the final account, but, "It's company policy" More likely it's just another nasty, tacky little ruse thought up by Cunard to to extract money from unsuspecting passengers to add to the bottom line.

Do they not get this, do they not realise the damage they are doing to their so called vaunted reputation

Right now they have lost a customer, and don't tell me they don't care. No company can do this sort of thing without damage. I have no problem with cutting the captains reception or any other cost saving they do on board, but this??

David.

Further to my earlier post I thought I would do what I should have done in the first place: read the small print.

The Cunard agent I spoke to, said that the right to retain self bought OBC was in the contract. It isn't. The only reference is in relation to complimentary OBC. No mention about self bought or Cunard retaining unspent.

So Cunard can not even rely on their contract to filch their customers money.

There are two possibilities, one that the staff at Cunard UK are unable to understand the difference, or that they know the difference very well and hope they can dupe the unwary in to losing their own money.

I hate to see companies get away with this sort of thing. What should people do if they have fallen foul of this. Write to Cunard demanding return of the cash they hold. Point out that the contract does not give Cunard the right to retain this, and also make quite plain to them that you are not talking about "comlementary OBC" Give them 14 days to pay and tell them you will issue a small claim court summons if they do not.

David.

Further to my earlier post I thought I would do what I should have done in the first place: read the small print.

The Cunard agent I spoke to, said that the right to retain self bought OBC was in the contract. It isn't. The only reference is in relation to complimentary OBC. No mention about self bought or Cunard retaining unspent.

So Cunard can not even rely on their contract to filch their customers money.

There are two possibilities, one that the staff at Cunard UK are unable to understand the difference, or that they know the difference very well and hope they can dupe the unwary in to losing their own money.

I hate to see companies get away with this sort of thing. What should people do if they have fallen foul of this. Write to Cunard demanding return of the cash they hold. Point out that the contract does not give Cunard the right to retain this, and also make quite plain to them that you are not talking about "comlementary OBC" Give them 14 days to pay and tell them you will issue a small claim court summons if they do not.

David.

It is on their website though as I posted above.

Hopefully they will warn anyone who purchases OBC.

It is on their website though as I posted above.

Hopefully they will warn anyone who purchases OBC.

What is on the web site is immaterial, and whoever wrote that is obviously under the same misconception as the person I spoke to earlier today. Forget the web site, the contract is what they and you rely on, and the contract does not mention this.

David.

Archived