Upgrade worth the extra $ ?

Spunkydo

I wonder if you're on the same December 10 cruise as I am. I was offered an upsell from a C guarantee to a B (4?) for practically peanuts and took it. While I slept, the upgrade fairy visited and when I received my revised receipt it was for an A4! I think this cruise is seriously oversold. One couple on our roll call has already accepted an a very attractive alternate offer for another itinerary and took it and I think another is considering one.

We are booked on the Marina in December in a category B3 cabin. We have been offered to upgrade to a Penthouse suite for $1000 pp. Are the amenities worth the extra bucks? :confused:

Probably too late now but it is a personal choice

For us it would not be worth the extra$$

YMMV

Lyn

I wonder if you're on the same December 10 cruise as I am. I was offered an upsell from a C guarantee to a B (4?) for practically peanuts and took it. While I slept, the upgrade fairy visited and when I received my revised receipt it was for an A4! I think this cruise is seriously oversold. One couple on our roll call has already accepted an a very attractive alternate offer for another itinerary and took it and I think another is considering one.

My Mom was upgraded on this cruise too, to an A4 from an F GTY as you say for peanuts. She is thrilled...will e-mail you re transport from Orlando. Deb

Yes, it must be oversold. Almost from the day we booked, Oceania has been giving us offers. Almost a new offer every week. Penthouse upgrade for free, take some other cruise in a penthouse, take a European cruise next year in a penthouse. We would have loved to take some of the offers but the problem is that a handicapped room is a necessity for us and there are no penthouse handicapped rooms.

Last week, they offered an upgrade to a penthouse for $1000 each. I would think it would be obvious that if we did not do it for free, we were not going to pay $1000 each to do it but we keep getting offers.

Last week, they offered an upgrade to a penthouse for $1000 each. I would think it would be obvious that if we did not do it for free, we were not going to pay $1000 each to do it but we keep getting offers.

Why not just tell them you are not interested in any offers if you used a TA tell them & they will not pass any further offers on to you

Lyn

How do you all get these upgrade offers ? Do you book directly with Oceania or with a TA ? We are in UK & have booked through one of the very few TAs who sell Oceania but we don't receive anything. No-one here has ever heard of Oceania, every time we tell anyone we are going on an Oceania cruise they assume we mean the P&O ship Oceana. Anyway we are really looking forward to our Marina cruise in February even though it looks like we will be in the B4 we booked !

We used a travel agent and she has told Oceania to forget upgrades. However, they keep calling her. She is a great travel agent. She more or less calls us for us to have mutual laugh about their offers. Usually her first words are "I know you do not want this but..." and we get on with important things.

mbpaul,

Out of curiosity why would you turn down an upgrade to a PH for free?

In post #9 above mbpaul wrote "We would have loved to take some of the offers but the problem is that a handicapped room is a necessity for us and there are no penthouse handicapped rooms."

In my opinion, if there are no penthouse suites that are handicapped-accessible, that is an oversight that should be corrected with the introduction of the Riviera and retrofitted to the Marina.

Yes, I would agree but looking at the Riviera layout on the Oceania website, it looks identical to the Marina. If I count the handicapped rooms correctly, on deck 7, there are 2 ocean view suites and 2 veranda suites. On deck 10, there are 2 inside suites. That is it for either ship.

But on most any cruise ships, handicapped suites are limited so Oceania is not alone. And the handicapped suites are better than normal rooms for somebody in a wheelchair but not ideal. They all seem to have been designed by able bodied people who think they know what a handicapped person needs rather than being designed by somebody who is handicapped. This will be the first cruise on Oceania so we will see how it goes.

One final note. This morning, I received an e-mail from Oceania with the "overbooked" cruise we are on being one of the featured cruises. Going to their website, it appears that the cheaper rooms are full but the higher priced ones still have openings.

Yes, I would agree but looking at the Riviera layout on the Oceania website, it looks identical to the Marina. If I count the handicapped rooms correctly, on deck 7, there are 2 ocean view suites and 2 veranda suites. On deck 10, there are 2 inside suites. That is it for either ship.

I would not use the term suites for these staterooms.

Suites get butler service as well as full in suite dining from all restaurants, not to mention more space

I think that there should be some true suites with the amenities required by handicapped passengers, e.g. a roll-in shower or a "walk in" bathtub for people with disabilities but who are not wheelchair-bound.

Butler service was the very best part of our experience on our recent Regatta cruise and I would not deny that privilege to passengers with disabilities.

mbpaul,

Out of curiosity why would you turn down an upgrade to a PH for free?

They offered me a free upgrade to a PH suite, but it was not on the same cruise. That's why I turned it down. Of course I would have accepted if it was the same cruise.

Whereas we were on a PH on Regatta in August and they asked us to switch to a VS on Marina in October and we grabbed it.

It depends on what cruise you want. The accommodations aren't necessarily the primary consideration.

For us, switching was worth it.

No, I'm not saying that it should be worth it for everybody! But for us, it was.

Mura

They offered me a free upgrade to a PH suite, but it was not on the same cruise. That's why I turned it down. Of course I would have accepted if it was the same cruise.

Considering the huge increase in the number of Penthouses on the Oceania Class, as compared to the older ships, it seems to me that we can expect the offer of a Penthouse to be the new incentive for switching away from a non-suite stateroom on an overbooked voyage.

I hope that was a deliberate marketing strategy, because it is brilliant.

Archived