Pre-Cruise Hotel Issues in Venice - Azamara UK does it again!

zennor

I am glad you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Hotel Christine.....it looks like a nice hotel, but for me, when I go to Venice.....and I am very fortunate to be able to go there often.....then I just want to walk out of my hotel and see a canal!

And preferably The Grand Canal! :D

A "20 minute train ride" into Venice is a definite NO WAY for me!

Personally I love the Hotel Splendid....you can watch the Gondola's go past the windows.....and also the Hotel Saturnia......really quirky with a great restaurant.

I couldn't agree more! There are many great hotels in Venice where you can experience the old world charm of the city. Some, like the Saturnia, Ca Sagredgo, Dona Palace, and La Fenice et des Artistes, have rooms that bring to mind Venice in the 18th century (or earlier) - high ceilings, marvelous finishings, damask walls, murano glass light fixtures, etc. Others have old world settings with more modern finishings. So there is something for everyone. The challenge however can be the cost as hotels right in the city often (but not always) are more expensive than those in out laying areas. Personally, I feel that it is worth every extra penny to be right in the city. And when visiting before or after a cruise, it is best to look for a hotel on a canal not only for the view (as Lottie A put it so well, the view of the canal is great!) but also to make it easier to get there with your luggage (water taxi right up to the hotel - it's pricey, but how often do you get to ride in a sleek speed boat through the canals of Venice?).

Was just trying to be helpful and share some of my experiences! If it offended, I am sorry.

Hi Cindi. No offence taken:) I've booked cruises all ways. Through a UK ta, through a US ta, via Celebrity/Azamara and within those taking cruiseline air and doing it myself. I'm pretty savvy, but my trip last month on Journey was offered with complimentary flights and hotel and I never gave it a second thought. A premium brand like Azamara was going to look after me, right? They did and I was very pleased with all the arrangements. In the case of the OP they didn't and I just wanted to make clear that in cases like this one, to coin a couple of phrases, it isn't simply a matter of "buyer beware" and "if it seems too good to be true it probably is".

Phil

When we arrived at Venice airport from London, Heathrow, we were met by the 'Medov' (Venice Local Agency) rep who told us that our hotel had been changed because it made it easier to transfer everyone to the ship! Another rep then handed us a sheet which gave the reason as being 'an unexpected overbooking'. I have no idea what the real reason was but I am sure that they were aware of this change BEFORE we left the UK but had chosen not to advise us, showing a complete lack of respect for their guests.

Several of us were taken by mini-bus to the MOVE hotel, Mogliano - we had no idea where it was. In fact it was just off a motorway, miles from anywhere including Venice - with no restaurants or public transport nearby. The sheet we were handed stated 'You can reach Venice by taxi (to book directly at the hotel). When we asked the cost, we were told 75 EUR for 6 people, 35 EUR for 2.

The hotel itself had only opened recently & was partially unfinished. There was no information anywhere about the hotel facilities in our rooms or elsewhere and no tourist info. Apart from being given a time for breakfast (which turned out to be awful), we didn't even know if it had a restaurant. There were no spare pillows, shower caps or shampoo in the bathrooms. Most of the other guest were in tour groups and it was very much an airport transfer hotel and not at all appropriate for customers of a quality cruise line.

Getting to & from Venice was a major problem. We managed to share a taxi getting there & paid 25 EUR. We stayed out quite late in Venice as we had to eat both lunch & dinner there. We had been given no info about how to get a taxi back so we tried the taxi rank at Piazzale Roma & were quoted 60 EUR (other guests had to pay 70-90 EUR) - taxi drivers didn't want to go there! We didn't know what to do as it was so expensive & not the 35 EUR we'd been told. Fortunately we then saw a mini-bus with the hotel name displayed & the driver said there was room for us at another 25 EUR. We learnt afterwards that we were supposed to call the hotel to send a taxi but nothing had been explained.

I was curious so looked up the hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194826-d1993133-Reviews-Move_Hotel-Mogliano_Veneto_Province_of_Treviso_Veneto.html

It is not the dump that I imagined. It is rated #2 on Trip Advisor for the area and has 4.5 reviews (out of 5), and yes I know people can fake the reviews. It says the hotel is new and modern, but it is tourist grade. I would not be happy to be placed in a hotel that does not even provide shampoo! Maybe that is what someone traveling with NCL expects.

The real issue is the location outside of Venice and very expensive taxi service to get to Venice. The cruise line should at the least book a hotel with complimentary service into Venice, not 25EUR, assuming you can even find the hotel van.

I was curious so looked up the hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g194826-d1993133-Reviews-Move_Hotel-Mogliano_Veneto_Province_of_Treviso_Veneto.html

It is not the dump that I imagined. It is rated #2 on Trip Advisor for the area and has 4.5 reviews (out of 5), and yes I know people can fake the reviews. It says the hotel is new and modern, but it is tourist grade. I would not be happy to be placed in a hotel that does not even provide shampoo! Maybe that is what someone traveling with NCL expects.

The real issue is the location outside of Venice and very expensive taxi service to get to Venice. The cruise line should at the least book a hotel with complimentary service into Venice, not 25EUR, assuming you can even find the hotel van.

Have just looked at the reviews & the comments sum it up. It is a new modern hotel in the middle of nowhere with poor facilities, unhelpful staff & horrible breakfast. If we had been given more information about the hotel's taxi service, it would have helped but as some of their taxi drivers did not speak English it was quite difficult to know what to do. We also know of Azamara guests who called a taxi twice & each time there was no room for them in the taxi when it came. The taxis did not know WHO they had been called for.

The people who posted on Tripadvisor had booked the hotel themselves so that they were of the location before arriving.

In the case of the OP they didn't and I just wanted to make clear that in cases like this one, to coin a couple of phrases, it isn't simply a matter of "buyer beware" and "if it seems too good to be true it probably is".

Phil

Exactly my point in saying "no such thing as a free lunch". Guess we are lost in translation!!! ;)

I'm sorry if I offended anyone for being irrelevant. I just liked Cindi's ideas and agree with her style of travel.

You sound like a fun person to know on a cruise Cindi!

:D

Thanks Nancy! I like to think of myself as fun! It seems these boards have become just a bit too stiff lately - so I try to lighten things up.

BTW - Phil - are you "excited OF harpenden" or "EXCITED of Harpenden" ???

:confused:

Although I don't book my pax on the UK tariff, I would be hesitant to accept a "free air and hotel" promotion unless the hotel was specified.

Both Regent and Oceania specify the complimentary prehotel stays on our invoices!

Just want to weigh in here -- you guys are completely right about staying in Venice itself. My first trip there, I tried to book a hotel in Venice. It was full but the owners referred me to another hotel they had on the "lido". I didn't know what the heck the Lido was (learned the hard way not only is it an island WITH cars, which for a first time visitor was disappointing, but it wasn't really all that close to the heartland).

In the end, I grew to love the Lido, a well known beach resort town in Europe, and still do, on subsequent visits (I was a daytripper, either staying on ships or at hotels in town). But still, would have rather been in town. On Cruise Critic's Venice port profile we offer some suggestions for hotels -- we've (mostly me, but other staffers too) have all tried these places out.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in chief

Cruise Critic

Hi Carnevale,

I so agree with your very poetic post. If you are going to Venice at any time....then make sure your hotel is in Venice itself.

There is no point in being in the outside areas at all. And now your CC nom de plume is explained! :)

Zennor, I am so sorry that your pre cruise stay in Venice was not good.....but glad that you enjoyed the usual wonderful onboard experience.

We had a similar problem with our pre cruise hotel in Nice in July (The Boscolo Plaza). The location was fine, but the hotel rooms were terrible, the air con non existent.....and this was a very hot July and the staff were incredibly rude. Azamara do need to look at the pre cruise hotels offered I think.

It was such a relief to board Quest and then be in pampered Heaven :)!

Have just looked at the reviews & the comments sum it up. It is a new modern hotel in the middle of nowhere with poor facilities, unhelpful staff & horrible breakfast. If we had been given more information about the hotel's taxi service, it would have helped but as some of their taxi drivers did not speak English it was quite difficult to know what to do. We also know of Azamara guests who called a taxi twice & each time there was no room for them in the taxi when it came. The taxis did not know WHO they had been called for.

The people who posted on Tripadvisor had booked the hotel themselves so that they were of the location before arriving.

Hello Zennor,

I know that you’ve been following the thread, “Pre- and Post-Cruise Experience Failing for UK Pax” which is related to having the UK conduct an audit of their operation within the context of the various issues that you’ve shared on Cruise Critic.

I want to let you know that I’ve sent your Venice experience so that they can review the steps that were taken in creating the package as well as the selection of the hotel. Further, I’ve shared your comments about the ground operator in Venice with our shore excursion team.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hello Zennor,

I know that you’ve been following the thread, “Pre- and Post-Cruise Experience Failing for UK Pax” which is related to having the UK conduct an audit of their operation within the context of the various issues that you’ve shared on Cruise Critic.

I want to let you know that I’ve sent your Venice experience so that they can review the steps that were taken in creating the package as well as the selection of the hotel. Further, I’ve shared your comments about the ground operator in Venice with our shore excursion team.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome Bill as I've had no response as yet to my email to cust services. It's been about 10 days now but I know that the automated response says '28 days'!

Although I don't book my pax on the UK tariff, I would be hesitant to accept a "free air and hotel" promotion unless the hotel was specified.

Both Regent and Oceania specify the complimentary prehotel stays on our invoices!

Actually the original hotel 'Quarto d'Altino' was on the ACC invoice but we didn't receive that until AFTER booking & my TA could not get the info beforehand. But in any case it was changed with no notice. As ever 'lack of communication' is the issue!

... phoned a U.K. TA to get a quote for one of the European cruises listed in recent "The Amazing Offers" requesting flight out of LHR. Coincidentally the cruise was starting from Venice. First reaction was that there were no flights available from LHR and as far as he was aware it did not include precruise hotel. He phoned ACC and responded very quickly with a quote which included direct flights by BA to and from Venice; even offering flight times. He confirmed that the offer included a precruise hotel, but described it as an "airport" hotel. Didn't have the courage to ask if the flights were part of a block booking.

I was quite impressed with the service from the TA and what I considered was an improvement in service provided by ACC. Looks like the efforts of Jim are having an effect.

... phoned a U.K. TA to get a quote for one of the European cruises listed in recent "The Amazing Offers" requesting flight out of LHR. Coincidentally the cruise was starting from Venice. First reaction was that there were no flights available from LHR and as far as he was aware it did not include precruise hotel. He phoned ACC and responded very quickly with a quote which included direct flights by BA to and from Venice; even offering flight times. He confirmed that the offer included a precruise hotel, but described it as an "airport" hotel. Didn't have the courage to ask if the flights were part of a block booking. I was quite impressed with the service from the TA and what I considered was an improvement in service provided by ACC. Looks like the efforts of Bill are having an effect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanting more than one quote for my future cruise, I contacted another TA who checked with Azamara only to be told that it was too early for them to guarantee direct flights out of LHR !!!

Does Azamara's left hand know what it's left (let alone it's right) hand is doing???

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanting more than one quote for my future cruise, I contacted another TA who checked with Azamara only to be told that it was too early for them to guarantee direct flights out of LHR !!!

Does Azamara's left hand know what it's left (let alone it's right) hand is doing???

I found the same when I booked our Venice cruise. One TA was on the ball & told me about the free flights etc. & gave me complete details of the flights available (Our invoice had the flight details & BA confirmation code). When I tried another for a quote, I had to tell the TA about the offer & then they said that ACC would not give them any flight details until we had made a reservation. I don't know if these issues are to do with the TAs or depend on who in Azamara they speak to :confused:

[quote=uktog;30952725]or the questions the TAs ask?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess he must have asked the specific question for me: I insisted on a quote for direct flights.

Just to update people on the current status re pre cruise hotel information from Azamara UK. I have just booked a trip in October 2012 including free flights and a pre cruise night in a hotel direct with Azamara. The lady was able to tell me the name of the hotel I would be staying in (and it is a very acceptable offering IMHO) she could not tell me the flight details but as it is 363 days to departure that is not surprising

Looks like some of the issues highlighted previously re the UK have been resolved

As an update to our situation which started this thread, I finally received a written response from Customer Relations this weekend (nearly 3 weeks later). The letter included various apologies and implied that changes of hotel should be advised to customers in advance but with no explanation as to why it didn't happen this time.

There was also a comment regarding the cost of hotels IN Venice etc. which I accept. The issue is the lack of communication and information available BEFORE we made the booking. If we had known in advance then we would have made other arrangements or paid for an upgrade. If they are now advising that it is an 'airport hotel', that's fine but I assume that is only if you ask.

Azamara need to be a lot clearer about what their 'packages' involve.

I only have to hope that they have actually taken on board what we had to say and hope that it does not happen again.

Archived