Pre-Cruise Hotel Issues in Venice - Azamara UK does it again!

zennor

Have just got back from the Venice-Rome cruise (24th Sep) & will write a proper review (I loved the actual cruise!) but I felt I had to write about the fiasco that was the pre-cruise hotel organised by Azamara UK in case this happens again.

When we first booked the cruise back in January, we intended to book flights & hotel ourselves as we were keen to visit Venice again but the package that we were offered was a good price and included a "COMPLIMENTARY STAY IN VENICE" Although we didn't have the name of the hotel I assumed that it would be one of the hotels listed on the Azamara website for its pre-cruise packages which are IN Venice itself. But when the name did appear in MyAzamara it was the Crowne Plaza in Quarto d'Altino which is situated nearer to the airport than Venice itself. We were disappointed & thought about changing/upgrading but after doing some research - the reviews were OK, there are several restaurants nearby in the town & most importantly it was right by a train station with regular trains into Venice for 2.80 EUR - we decided it would be OK. There was never any indication that the hotel might be changed & it was printed on our documents with contact details etc.

When we arrived at Venice airport from London, Heathrow, we were met by the 'Medov' (Venice Local Agency) rep who told us that our hotel had been changed because it made it easier to transfer everyone to the ship! Another rep then handed us a sheet which gave the reason as being 'an unexpected overbooking'. I have no idea what the real reason was but I am sure that they were aware of this change BEFORE we left the UK but had chosen not to advise us, showing a complete lack of respect for their guests.

Several of us were taken by mini-bus to the MOVE hotel, Mogliano - we had no idea where it was. In fact it was just off a motorway, miles from anywhere including Venice - with no restaurants or public transport nearby. The sheet we were handed stated 'You can reach Venice by taxi (to book directly at the hotel). When we asked the cost, we were told 75 EUR for 6 people, 35 EUR for 2.

The hotel itself had only opened recently & was partially unfinished. There was no information anywhere about the hotel facilities in our rooms or elsewhere and no tourist info. Apart from being given a time for breakfast (which turned out to be awful), we didn't even know if it had a restaurant. There were no spare pillows, shower caps or shampoo in the bathrooms. Most of the other guest were in tour groups and it was very much an airport transfer hotel and not at all appropriate for customers of a quality cruise line.

Getting to & from Venice was a major problem. We managed to share a taxi getting there & paid 25 EUR. We stayed out quite late in Venice as we had to eat both lunch & dinner there. We had been given no info about how to get a taxi back so we tried the taxi rank at Piazzale Roma & were quoted 60 EUR (other guests had to pay 70-90 EUR) - taxi drivers didn't want to go there! We didn't know what to do as it was so expensive & not the 35 EUR we'd been told. Fortunately we then saw a mini-bus with the hotel name displayed & the driver said there was room for us at another 25 EUR. We learnt afterwards that we were supposed to call the hotel to send a taxi but nothing had been explained.

Next morning we left with a coach load of very upset Brits who never wanted to see the Hotel Move again. Some of them had actually specified a central Venice hotel & still ended up there.

As soon as we actually got on the ship the atmosphere changed. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Guest Relations were unhappy that so many of us had arrived on board with a very stressful start to the cruise. We did receive a generic 'Dear Valued Guest' letter with an apology but I shall still be contacting Cust Services once again.

Somehow Azamara UK and the Venice Agency Medov are not getting Venice right and it is such a shame in such such a wonderful port. They need to do much better here.

We will cruise with Azamara again, we hope, but will book our own flights/hotel next time.

What an awful start to your holiday. Azamara should be ashamed. Sounds like some kind of compensation is called for.

I'm glad that you loved the cruise. The shipboard staff works so hard to provide a quality product; it's too bad that they have to make up for messes like this.

It is stories like this where Azamara fails to act like a quality cruise line. I'm just off the Quest and I noted so many things that Celebrity does better, but none as important as this. Completely unacceptable to put passengers through this and not to in any way offer a proper apology.

It is stories like this where Azamara fails to act like a quality cruise line. I'm just off the Quest and I noted so many things that Celebrity does better, but none as important as this. Completely unacceptable to put passengers through this and not to in any way offer a proper apology.

Haven't sailed Celebrity in a long time - just curious - what do you think they do better than Azamara?

That is truly unfortunate. Not at all where you want to be for a Venice precruise stay. While it was likely a local operator that let Azamara down, it is still Azamara's responsibility. One of the reasons we never use cruise air, transfers or hotels. You have no control.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Venice is our favorite city in the world and we've been there many times. We tell everyone we can that it is so important to stay right in the city proper - not near the airport, not in Mestre, and not anywhere other than the six sestieri that make up Venice. And, if you can, try to get a hotel very close to San Marco as that is the hub of it all (as Napoloen said, San Marco is the finest drawing room in Europe). For any others who are cruising in or out of Venice, I strongly encourage you to ensure you have a hotel in the city so you can enjoy the magic that is Venice. There is nothing that can compare to an evening strolling through San Marco when it is dark, the musicians are playing wondering palm court music, and the lights of the vendors' stalls brighten the background. If you have to dash off to find transportation out of the city you'll be hard pressed to enjoy that very special time after dark. What a shame you couldn't fully experience all that Venice has to offer.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Venice is our favorite city in the world and we've been there many times. We tell everyone we can that it is so important to stay right in the city proper - not near the airport, not in Mestre, and not anywhere other than the six sestieri that make up Venice. And, if you can, try to get a hotel very close to San Marco as that is the hub of it all (as Napoloen said, San Marco is the finest drawing room in Europe). For any others who are cruising in or out of Venice, I strongly encourage you to ensure you have a hotel in the city so you can enjoy the magic that is Venice. There is nothing that can compare to an evening strolling through San Marco when it is dark, the musicians are playing wondering palm court music, and the lights of the vendors' stalls brighten the background. If you have to dash off to find transportation out of the city you'll be hard pressed to enjoy that very special time after dark. What a shame you couldn't fully experience all that Venice has to offer.

Hi Carnevale,

I so agree with your very poetic post. If you are going to Venice at any time....then make sure your hotel is in Venice itself.

There is no point in being in the outside areas at all. And now your CC nom de plume is explained! :)

Zennor, I am so sorry that your pre cruise stay in Venice was not good.....but glad that you enjoyed the usual wonderful onboard experience.

We had a similar problem with our pre cruise hotel in Nice in July (The Boscolo Plaza). The location was fine, but the hotel rooms were terrible, the air con non existent.....and this was a very hot July and the staff were incredibly rude. Azamara do need to look at the pre cruise hotels offered I think.

It was such a relief to board Quest and then be in pampered Heaven :)!

Hi Carnevale,

I so agree with your very poetic post. If you are going to Venice at any time....then make sure your hotel is in Venice itself.

There is no point in being in the outside areas at all. And now your CC nom de plume is explained! :)

Zennor, I am so sorry that your pre cruise stay in Venice was not good.....but glad that you enjoyed the usual wonderful onboard experience.

We had a similar problem with our pre cruise hotel in Nice in July (The Boscolo Plaza). The location was fine, but the hotel rooms were terrible, the air con non existent.....and this was a very hot July and the staff were incredibly rude. Azamara do need to look at the pre cruise hotels offered I think.

It was such a relief to board Quest and then be in pampered Heaven :)!

I think a lot of the issue is Azamara are tempting cruisers with "complimentary" flights and hotel encouraging probable to DIYers to arrange it with the cruiseline who then leave them with flights that aren't direct, the hotel that is not in an ideal location or both.

On the subject of the South of France I was also in Nice on Journey (last month) with the flights and hotel included and was lucky that we all flew direct. My hotel changed from the Boscolo to the Radisson quite late on. The hotel was much further out, but I thought it was better. Friends I travelled with stayed at the Boscolo. Overall I had a very positive experience with transfers etc. The geography of Venice makes it even more important for them to get it right.

Phil

I think a lot of the issue is Azamara are tempting cruisers with "complimentary" flights and hotel encouraging probable to DIYers to arrange it with the cruiseline who then leave them with flights that aren't direct, the hotel that is not in an ideal location or both.

Phil

First of all, this issue in Venice regarding the poor hotel and location is no surprise for those who read Cruise Critic since it has already been reported. At least I am not surprised about this post.

I think what likely happened is that Azamara switched hotels when the price of the cruises dropped, in order to save/make money somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the pricing on the majority of these fall cruises in Europe dropped drastically, although it may have not been the case on this one, and certainly is not the case for those in more expensive accommodations (ie the suite guests). Someone at Azamara (or Celebrity or RCCL) making these choices had to know it would cause complaints and certainly a poor choice for a cruise line that markets itself as luxury lite, or in any event above mass market.

Our pre-cruise hotel stay is an integral part of our vacation and that is why we always pay and stay in either a luxury or boutique hotel. We do try to find the best price, but the cruise line has more buying power than we do and should be able to negotiate group rates.

The other option is to offer the choice of a free hotel outside of Venice or pay more for the one in a central location, but I do believe if changes were made last minute it was in direct response to how the cruise was selling and the rates. That is irrelevant to the passenger who is paying for an upmarket experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Azamara are more frequently offering flights and overnight stays as part of a COMPLETE package; ports of calls are detailed, as are available tours but somehow the names of hotels and details of flights remain top secret. Why??

Would anyone book a cruise for which the ports of call were kept secret?

As a result, as described, hotels in unfavourable locations and non-direct flights are identified as part of the package after a deposit or worse still the final payment has been made.

When are ACC going to realise that the good service is supposed to start when you book the cruise not when you step on the gang plank.

You are right about this as we were intending to book our own flights & hotel as we've stayed in Venice before but the 'deal' was so good that we went with it.

I also wonder whether this issue is specific to Azamara UK or does it happen to US customers too? Or do the majority make their own arrangements? Once again this has backfired as I assume the deals were set to attract the British market but then fails when this is the first introduction we get to Azamara. I've also got the impression from reading CC that Azamara has its own Cust Services team in the US but that in the UK it is all part of RCCL. Are we being sent to the same hotels & receiving the same level of service that we would do if we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise which costs less? Perhaps Bill can answer this?

First of all, this issue in Venice regarding the poor hotel and location is no surprise for those who read Cruise Critic since it has already been reported. At least I am not surprised about this post.

I think what likely happened is that Azamara switched hotels when the price of the cruises dropped, in order to save/make money somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the pricing on the majority of these fall cruises in Europe dropped drastically, although it may have not been the case on this one, and certainly is not the case for those in more expensive accommodations (ie the suite guests). Someone at Azamara (or Celebrity or RCCL) making these choices had to know it would cause complaints and certainly a poor choice for a cruise line that markets itself as luxury lite, or in any event above mass market.

Our pre-cruise hotel stay is an integral part of our vacation and that is why we always pay and stay in either a luxury or boutique hotel. We do try to find the best price, but the cruise line has more buying power than we do and should be able to negotiate group rates.

The other option is to offer the choice of a free hotel outside of Venice or pay more for the one in a central location, but I do believe if changes were made last minute it was in direct response to how the cruise was selling and the rates. That is irrelevant to the passenger who is paying for an upmarket experience.

I'm an experienced cruiser, but only started reading this board in detail recently so was lucky to pick up on the Venice information. That and a friend who did a Venice roundtrip on Azamara in August and had flights from Venice to Heathrow via Paris. Not ideal. I booked Quest for November onboard Journey and thankfully there was no "complimentary" package. if there had been I probably would have gone for it.

Regardless of price paid Azamara need to look at their hotel and air arrangements and decide whether they want to do it on the cheap or match it to the onboard experience that goes with their ships. Either way they need to let their guests know at the time of booking what they could be in for.

You are right about this as we were intending to book our own flights & hotel as we've stayed in Venice before but the 'deal' was so good that we went with it.

I also wonder whether this issue is specific to Azamara UK or does it happen to US customers too? Or do the majority make their own arrangements? Once again this has backfired as I assume the deals were set to attract the British market but then fails when this is the first introduction we get to Azamara. I've also got the impression from reading CC that Azamara has its own Cust Services team in the US but that in the UK it is all part of RCCL. Are we being sent to the same hotels & receiving the same level of service that we would do if we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise which costs less? Perhaps Bill can answer this?

There was just a pretty costly flight package when I booked Quest for November on Journey last month, flying in the day of the cruise. I decided to do it myself and having read your story am glad I did and they didn't offer that "complimentary" package.

Phil

.....Either way they need to let their guests know at the time of booking what they could be in for.

Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... and if they do make changes, they should be prepared to allow guests to cancel and claim a refund of deposit; something not at present available to U.K. guests.

Perhaps Bill Leiber could investigate this problem too!

It is a really taxing problem of whether to book your cruise 'all inclusive' or to book cruise, flights and hotels separately.

When I hear of the poor start to your cruise I err towards separate bookings and then we hear of bad weather conditions or strikes that affect airlines and am torn the other way.

As others have said, if you are going to Venice (or anywhere else for that matter) you want to stay THERE and not 15 miles away. Also Azamara is promoting itself as an upmarket cruise lines and hotels they provide should be commensurate.

At least the cruise didn't dissappoint!

That is too bad that they changed your hotel from the Crowne Plaza. We stayed there for 4 nights (pre and post cruise - booked ourselves) and it was perfect. It was close to the airport (perfect for short transfers and not shlepping luggage) and had an attached train station (we could purchase tickets at the front desk). It was an easy 15-20 min ride right into Venice and we used it a lot. I think Azamara's choice of this hotel is a good one and it is a shame that it was changed as I think you would have been pleased with it.

That is too bad that they changed your hotel from the Crowne Plaza. We stayed there for 4 nights (pre and post cruise - booked ourselves) and it was perfect. It was close to the airport (perfect for short transfers and not shlepping luggage) and had an attached train station (we could purchase tickets at the front desk). It was an easy 15-20 min ride right into Venice and we used it a lot. I think Azamara's choice of this hotel is a good one and it is a shame that it was changed as I think you would have been pleased with it.

I am glad you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Hotel Christine.....it looks like a nice hotel, but for me, when I go to Venice.....and I am very fortunate to be able to go there often.....then I just want to walk out of my hotel and see a canal!

And preferably The Grand Canal! :D

A "20 minute train ride" into Venice is a definite NO WAY for me!

Personally I love the Hotel Splendid....you can watch the Gondola's go past the windows.....and also the Hotel Saturnia......really quirky with a great restaurant.

When is air complimentary? I always choose to book cruise only, even during the "specials" and find that there is always a less expensive rate for the cruise with no air. Granted, the air I choose may be higher but I am in control of when, where, with whom and how I travel. Luckily I am able to use air miles for my flights and choose to fly in business or better as this "old" body doesn't travel well when I have to sleep sitting up!! ;)

I have selected the air option twice in my long cruise history (80+ cruise and happily counting) - while both were adequate, I found that I can do better on my own.

I always have to think about what my mother taught me - there is no such thing as a free lunch!!!

True, what happened is horrendous and your expectations should have been met but it is just wise to pay a bit extra to get what you really want - especially with the air. There is no justification for the hotel change to an inferior product !!!

I agree that Venice is a city to be savoured! If you plan to spend some pre or post time - you MUST stay in the city itself. I spent several days post cruise and found that I was wandering around at all hours and barely slept just exploring the enigma that is Venice.....

I loved the Hotel Continental.....it was close to the bus and train station right on the Canal .... near the Vaporetto ..... walking distance to everything and extremely inexpensive compared to other hotels. The rooms are quirky but clean and some very large. I had a closet with an enormous bathroom on the canal that cost me 80 euros per night with breakfast! The highlight was a large double window that had a window seat and I would open the blinds and window and sit and enjoy the Canal with a lovely red wine!

With air travel becoming so impersonal and uncomfortable - it takes some doing but you should remember to try to make the beginning and end of your trip a part of the adventure. Consider what will begin your trip in the most positive way - even with all the impediments - get there early and buy a pass to an airport lounge if you are not in business or first. Enjoy a drink and a good meal before you get on the plane. Stay positive --- chat with new people. Don't scrimp on transfers to the ship and end up dragging heavy baggage on the trains - your health is more important than saving a few dollars. Make the travel time part of the experience. It's not so easy to do this of late, but you have paid a lot of money for the trip and if you have a bad start it colours the rest of the trip. Stay overnight at least and arrive early enough to see the sights......not to mention if trouble occurs you have a cushion!! So many websites and vehicles to help you find ways to pamper yourself at a discount price. Save your airmiles and upgrade to business or first!! Anything is possible!! Having fun is MUCH better than the alternative!! :D

Happy sailings ALWAYS!!!!

When is air complimentary? I always choose to book cruise only, even during the "specials" and find that there is always a less expensive rate for the cruise with no air. Granted, the air I choose may be higher but I am in control of when, where, with whom and how I travel. Luckily I am able to use air miles for my flights and choose to fly in business or better as this "old" body doesn't travel well when I have to sleep sitting up!! ;)

I have selected the air option twice in my long cruise history (80+ cruise and happily counting) - while both were adequate, I found that I can do better on my own.

I always have to think about what my mother taught me - there is no such thing as a free lunch!!!

True, what happened is horrendous and your expectations should have been met but it is just wise to pay a bit extra to get what you really want - especially with the air. There is no justification for the hotel change to an inferior product !!!

I agree that Venice is a city to be savoured! If you plan to spend some pre or post time - you MUST stay in the city itself. I spent several days post cruise and found that I was wandering around at all hours and barely slept just exploring the enigma that is Venice.....

I loved the Hotel Continental.....it was close to the bus and train station right on the Canal .... near the Vaporetto ..... walking distance to everything and extremely inexpensive compared to other hotels. The rooms are quirky but clean and some very large. I had a closet with an enormous bathroom on the canal that cost me 80 euros per night with breakfast! The highlight was a large double window that had a window seat and I would open the blinds and window and sit and enjoy the Canal with a lovely red wine!

With air travel becoming so impersonal and uncomfortable - it takes some doing but you should remember to try to make the beginning and end of your trip a part of the adventure. Consider what will begin your trip in the most positive way - even with all the impediments - get there early and buy a pass to an airport lounge if you are not in business or first. Enjoy a drink and a good meal before you get on the plane. Stay positive --- chat with new people. Don't scrimp on transfers to the ship and end up dragging heavy baggage on the trains - your health is more important than saving a few dollars. Make the travel time part of the experience. It's not so easy to do this of late, but you have paid a lot of money for the trip and if you have a bad start it colours the rest of the trip. Stay overnight at least and arrive early enough to see the sights......not to mention if trouble occurs you have a cushion!! So many websites and vehicles to help you find ways to pamper yourself at a discount price. Save your airmiles and upgrade to business or first!! Anything is possible!! Having fun is MUCH better than the alternative!! :D

Happy sailings ALWAYS!!!!

In the UK they have complimentary hotel and airfare deals which means the cruise is sold on the basis of "you have nothing to do as far as flights and hotel are concerned. It's all included in the price". That's very different from deciding whether to book flights and hotel yourself or do it through the cruiseline at extra cost. It's a temptation and if I was to get an offer like that (as I was last month to Nice which worked out fine as it happened) I'd be thinking it was great.

Edit - I've just read your comment about "no such thing as a free lunch" and sorry, I don't think that is relevant to this thread.

Phil

I feel as you do and want to enjoy the beginning and end of the trip as much as possible. I buy an airline ticket and upgrade to business or first for a more enjoyable flight. This takes planning way ahead usually but to me has always been worth it.

You have given good advise! I usually find my advise falls on deaf ears because most of the time they are trying to save a few bucks and don't see the big picture.

Cheers,

Nancy

I feel as you do and want to enjoy the beginning and end of the trip as much as possible. I buy an airline ticket and upgrade to business or first for a more enjoyable flight. This takes planning way ahead usually but to me has always been worth it.

You have given good advise! I usually find my advise falls on deaf ears because most of the time they are trying to save a few bucks and don't see the big picture.

Cheers,

Nancy

And sorry, I don't think this has any relevance either.

Phil

Cheers,

Nancy

Nancy, in this situation your comments really aren't relevant. We were not trying to save money - we bought a package that included British Airways flights that were direct & fine. It's only a couple of hours from London to Heathrow - we didn't need or could afford business class. We had accepted the original allocated hotel even though it was outside of Venice but it was changed with no warning.

Bus as mentioned elsewhere it isn't right to book a holiday that cannot be cancelled without knowing the flight details & hotel in advance. In our case we did know the flight details & I insisted on direct flights but another TA who gave me a quote couldn't tell me the flights without a provisional reservation. Anyway the flights were not at issue and the later flight home allowed us to visit Rome. The issue was with the hotel and the way we were treated by the Venice agency.

I usually find my advise falls on deaf ears because most of the time they are trying to save a few bucks and don't see the big picture.

Cheers,

Nancy

But the big picture here was some really horrendous service issues, in fact the OP had to shell out a lot of bucks to be able to see Venice and cope with transportation issues.

In the UK they have complimentary hotel and airfare deals which means the cruise is sold on the basis of "you have nothing to do as far as flights and hotel are concerned. It's all included in the price". That's very different from deciding whether to book flights and hotel yourself or do it through the cruiseline at extra cost. It's a temptation and if I was to get an offer like that (as I was last month to Nice which worked out fine as it happened) I'd be thinking it was great.

Edit - I've just read your comment about "no such thing as a free lunch" and sorry, I don't think that is relevant to this thread.

Phil

Phil - We also have have "free" airfare deals as advertised but when you actually book them and ask for "cruise only" you get a few hundred dollars off the cruise price, but you have to ask. I did it once through a UK agent.

With regards to the relevancy of my comment - I think that it is a good old adage and it means that everything that seems to be free may come with a cost. That cost being a connecting flight, a remote hotel, a plan that can be changed without notice by the company.

And Nancy was just commenting on some of my ramblings.

Was just trying to be helpful and share some of my experiences! If it offended, I am sorry.

I am in certain agreement, however, with the OP on the fact that the substitution of an inferior product and the unexpected costs of transportation to and from the new hotel was not acceptable. That being said, I am not sure what the terms and conditions are when you agree to take the free air and hotel.

But the big picture here was some really horrendous service issues, in fact the OP had to shell out a lot of bucks to be able to see Venice and cope with transportation issues.

I am in the US and understand the UK passenger issue, which apparently some North Americans do not understand. UK passengers are almost always sold a complete package.

But, the hotel sounds horrendous, and sending guests to a hotel that requires expensives taxi service in and out of Venice is even worse.

Archived