New Self Service Wine Dispenser in Library...the Irony

Celebrating40

I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea! I can't wait to read my kindle while sipping a glass (or a couple of "tastes") of wine while I'm chillaxing on my VACATION. I think if I want to really party it up I will choose somewhere a little more lively than the library. I didn't know there were certain places you weren't allowed to drink, but what can I say, I'm Catholic and we sip wine in church ;)

My suggestion is to go to your room or on deck alone somewhere or anywhere on this HUGE ship if you are offended by people having a nice glass of wine while reading a book or playing games. Chill out! Maybe you could use a glass of wine yourself :D

I like you and how you think. Wanna be my drinking buddy? Meet ya in the library!

ROFL well I'll be your buddy, actually I'm not a huge drinker believe it or not, I enjoy a glass of wine now and again, and I'll have some DOD's on the cruise, a margarita in Mexico. At home I manage to go without alcohol most of the time!!! I just think that the wine in the library isn't that big of the thing. Once again IMO.

Cheers, Carole

Last time I checked coffee doesn't have the same effects as booze. I guess there are normal people and those who think anytime and anyplace is okay to get drunk. Next stop booze outside Camp Carnival or while your sitting in the lifeboats. SMH

You give my DW a cup of anything containing caffeine, and it has a much greater effect on her than a glass of wine does on me.

I agree. Either reading a book or playing a game while drinking some wine. I like it.

For those who don't like it: And I'm going to take a line from the pro-chair hog folks...they say 'there's plenty of chairs to be found all over the ship...just might not be right next to the pool...so venture out and find one'. I say there's plenty of places to read a book on the ship where there won't be anyone drinking...so venture out and find one.

This is apple to oranges. There are other chairs yes but please point me towards the ships second library? There are other places to drink while on board but there is only one library. I really don't understand how people are so dense not to get this.

I'm done trying to argue with people that are so hard off for a drink they really think that they need to add another bar. I'm done arguing with people so selfish they need to take a library and turn it into a bar.

Heck lets add booze everywhere. Add a little dispenser in the bathrooms so you can just sit on the toilet and drink there too. Lets add a bartender to Camp Carnival for all those seconds it takes to drop off and pick up your children. Why do you people even drink out of glasses you should just talk CCL into letting you drink out of the kegs. Even better why cruise at all since you can just stay home with one of those beer helmets.

And people wonder why CCL has this image of drunk party cruise line. Because people can't even read a book anymore without drinking.

I'm done trying to argue with people that are so hard off for a drink they really think that they need to add another bar. I'm done arguing with people so selfish they need to take a library and turn it into a bar.

Heck lets add booze everywhere. Add a little dispenser in the bathrooms so you can just sit on the toilet and drink there too. Lets add a bartender to Camp Carnival for all those seconds it takes to drop off and pick up your children. Why do you people even drink out of glasses you should just talk CCL into letting you drink out of the kegs. Even better why cruise at all since you can just stay home with one of those beer helmets.

And people wonder why CCL has this image of drunk party cruise line. Because people can't even read a book anymore without drinking.

Wow just take your ball and go home already

This is apple to oranges. There are other chairs yes but please point me towards the ships second library? There are other places to drink while on board but there is only one library. I really don't understand how people are so dense not to get this.

Na...it's the same. Some ships only have 1 pool...like 3 of the 4 CCL cruises I've been on. But you like chair hogging by the pool but don't like having to go find another quiet place to read since a bar in the library ruins the library. Maybe not being able to sit by the pool while my kids swim ruins the pool for me (actually we don't use the pool all that much, so I don't care about the chair hogs). I'm not dense about this...me and a lot of other folks will enjoy our wine/cocktail in the library while reading/playing games/using the computers. You can do like mikel24m says...take your ball and go home.

Wow, seriously??? Are you that concerned that a tiny wine 'sampling' bar in a library is going to be the end of sobriety??? It isn't the end of the world as we see it ... honestly. (personally, I have way bigger things to stress about in life than worrying about a perfect strangers drinking habits, especially when it involves a 'sample':rolleyes: )

I do wish you happy cruising ... despite all of this.

And traditionally libraries have NEVER served wine. And you also think drunk people are going to become quieter?

It's not about if you should drink or shouldn't drink it's about WHERE you're drinking. I drink, heck I have liquor in my fridge right now. But never in my 28 years have I been wandering around in a library saying "Oh I would just enjoy this Dickens so much more with a nice glass of wine."

I only find Dickens palatable if I'm drinking. Hemingway and Steinbeck, too. Shakespeare I'm happy to read sober. Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett definitely call for the hard stuff; wine simply won't do! ;)

Seriously, while I enjoy quiet moments in the library as much as you, the simply fact is that they aren't widely used spaces (in their current role) on Carnival. They have thousands of guests on each cruise and only a small handful use the library. Wasted space. They are making a business decision and if it doesn't appeal once they implement it, they will change it.

I don't believe for one second that there will be early morning drunks stumbling into the library to get wine. Well....unless there's sparkling wine and we can make mimosas..... :D

Is the point of your argument to get everyone to agree with you? You have your viewpoint and others have theirs..period. Not sure whats so hard to get about that.

Personally I love the idea of wine with books.

Library Was open 24/7 on the Legend a couple of weeks ago.

Whoever decided to put the internet cafe in the Librarty was genius.

Bill

most libraries on land have a computer set up as well, and for "free".

none have a bar. you're not even allowed to drink anything in there.

While you may have said this tongue in cheek Cristallo, the simple fact is, you CANNOT reason with a drunk (remember, drunks are not alcoholics. Alcoholics go to meetings). No addict sees anything wrong with what they do, they do not see the selfishness of their ways, and DO have the mentality that it is all about them. As a recovering addict myself, I can see that in others with crystal clarity, but also know it is useless to try and reason with someone who does not know they have a problem. I can retrospectively see that thinking in myself when I was in active addiction and genuinely believed that, not only was there nothing wrong with the way I thought, but could not for the life of me understand why EVERYONE couldn't see that how I was living and thinking made perfect sense.

The very simple equation in this is that Carnival is going to do what makes the most money for them. The markup on booze is massive. So you can anticipate that they will continue to grow that area. I doubt very seriously if Cahill or anyone else looses sleep over whether or not they are enabling drunks. What others have posted is correct, THIS is CCL's Carnival brand business model. We that don't like it, unfortunately, are left with 2 choices, know and understand the business model and sail anyway, or choose another line not so reliant on alcohol sales to stay afloat. I choose to continue to sail because the price is good. I've learned in recovery that I cannot nor should not attempt to "control" another addict. They have their own path and that is between them and their own Higher Power of choice. I simply avoid those venues that might cause me issues and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

I don't believe beverages should be served in a library. It should be a clean, relatively quiet family-friendly place. If anything I would expect there to be coffee and tea, which would be enjoyed by a wider variety of people at any time of day. A wine dispenser in a library just seems like the wrong place, even on a cruise ship. I'm glad it won't be there on my upcoming cruise.

Archived