st lucia catamaran

baby

Spiked with serious drugs on the return trip ( a ~6 hour swimming trip with lunch) and several people barely able to walk from the catamaran to the ship. We had to help them walk and one person passed out in the elevator. All the folks were fine eating, swimming and no one was overdoing the drinks. When we first arrived to board the catamaran was being inspected by a princess officer and that took 15 minutes. Must have been a new boat/ crew? The crew spent a lot of time below deck with young people that came on board at the swimming beach.

Just a disturbing excursion in a great place!

thanks sounds as though i better not book a catamaran

and do a tour??

In 2001 we took a Catamarran tour out of St. Lucia up to Sufregia (spelling ?) or some similar town. The trip was wonderful and the view of the Pitons was nice. We visited some plantation had a lunch and cruised back. We had rum drinks and danced being led by the lady proprietors’ of the boat. I would have never suspected spiking drinks with drugs, but would wonder what would be the motivation other than to get girls off and into their digs somewhere. The rum is quite strong. I guess drugs could get guys off and rob them.

Our tour started within walking distance of the Celebrity Summit.

I would still do the Catamaran tour, but of course would be more aware and not carry much money. We had bought the tour through the ship.

Buying that kind of tour through the ship would be a better idea than on ones own.

bbq - what company was this with? Was it booked through the ship or independent - would be nice to know before all catamaran trips were tarred with the same brush. Sounds serious and would be good to know who to advise to avoid - and who to recommend that would be perhaps safer.

thanks

I agree that before everyone gets in an uproar and becomes afraid to book catamaran tours that we need some more specific information. We have been on any private tours both by land and sea in the Caribbean and Mexico and never experienced that kind of problem. Most of these operators are good, hard working people and would never allow anything to happen to anyone in their care that would damage their reputation. Their livelihood is dependent on the recommendations of sites like Cruise Critic and Trip Adviser and they know it.

I'll dig through my info and see what the excursion says. I'm leaving in 11 days for 29 days on the Grand but will try to find what I can. We cruise many months a year but I tend to keep everything filed by cruise each in a bag. Not to high tech. We too have had many catamaran trips and it's one of our favorite excursions on a tropical itinerary . I'm just very watchful in that part of the world now and keep a sharp eye out when I get a rum drink which I enjoy as well!

• 2 months later...
I'm pretty certain James Touring offers a catamaran trip. Friends of ours took it recently and really enjoyed it. We've only done land with James in St. Lucia.....maybe next time:)

http://www.jamestouringservice.com/boattours.htm

Its my understanding the Catamaran tours are not actually done through James- they are done through another tour operator. He (or someone on his staff taxis you there.) I would go through the ship to be safe.

Archived