Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Same thing happened to us on a St Petersburg to Moscow flight 2 years ago. We purchased a Coke in the concourse directly in front of our boarding gate. Had only taken 2-3 sips and had to throw it away when we were called to board.

We had no problems taking liquids purchased air-side onto the plane in October last year.

There were no checks before boarding and I was openly carrying a bottle of coke in the same hard as I showed my boarding card.

I imagine these things can change from time to time but for us at least, the only limit on the internal flights was at the security point.

Thanks for the info! We are going 6/13. I'm shopping for antiseptic baby-wipes to pack. I'll take TP from my cabin. Are breathing masks really necessary? Getting lots of $1's.

The Emerald looks fine, but I realize it is not a "Viking" ship. But it sounds like the staff is great. The staff makes all the difference! I was on an older Viking ship, the Pride last year for Paris/Normandy. The ship was nice, but nothing special. However, it was all about the itinerary, fellow passengers, staff, food, etc. - all of which were EXCEPTIONAL! Next year is the Longship Embla for the Grand European.

Edited by cruzersky2

Thanks for the info! We are going 6/13. I'm shopping for antiseptic baby-wipes to pack. I'll take TP from my cabin. Are breathing masks really necessary? Getting lots of $1's.

The Emerald looks fine, but I realize it is not a "Viking" ship. But it sounds like the staff is great. The staff makes all the difference! I was on an older Viking ship, the Pride last year for Paris/Normandy. The ship was nice, but nothing special. However, it was all about the itinerary, fellow passengers, staff, food, etc. - all of which were EXCEPTIONAL! Next year is the Longship Embla for the Grand European.

Hi cruzersky2 we are leaving Toronto on the 14 of June and staying at the Westin hotel are you there also maybe we can get together for drink or something. We thought a day early would help adjust to the time change a bit and tour a tour on our own. can't wait hope to meet you. Shirley

Caribill, seeing your post reminded me that I have not adequately thanked you for your input before our trip.

Hope to do an actual review when we return home.

We are boarding Celebrity Millennium tomorrow here in Hong Kong to continue our Asian adventure.

Caribill, seeing your post reminded me that I have not adequately thanked you for your input before our trip.

Hope to do an actual review when we return home.

We are boarding Celebrity Millennium tomorrow here in Hong Kong to continue our Asian adventure.

Looking forward to your review.

Have a great cruise on the Millennium.

We are on the Imperial Jewels - July 2015 what is probability of rough sailing and if so at what part/day on the Yangtze is it normally rough?

July is going to be very hot, wet, humid and a good chance of thunderstorms, but that does not mean the water is going to be rough.

Expect smooth sailing but do plan for the weather you will encounter at that time of year.

Thank you for the weather and rough water report....this is my 3rd River Cruise and we always have had a smooth sailing.....but I had read that the waters at the Three Gorges could be rough...so just wanted to confirm.

Wanderer 44,

There was a lot of wind the day we were at the dam itself, which we certainly felt up on deck, but didn't seem to rock the boat. YMMV of course. Mostly everyone was so tired after a busy day of sightseeing that we just collapsed into bed. The bar up on six had drinks and music after nine but not too many takers.

Have a wonderful trip.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Interested in knowing how much an average drink at the restaurant bar would run? How expensive are meals at a restaurant other than the hotel AND at the hotels?

Anyone else on this cruise?

Firstly, to eat somewhere that you have to pay, other than on the first day, will mean you are avoiding a meal already included in your tour, so there is no real need to spend money in this way.

Check the hotel websites for sample menus from their restaurants, but don't expect the prices to be very different to hotel restaurants at home.

Outside of the hotels there is a huge range of food available from only a few $$ upwards, but you may want to think carefully before venturing too far down the price range :)

The best meal we had there was at BSK and that was only 300RMB each and included free flowing wine as well, very reasonable we thought.

For drinks, you will have wine or beer included at lunch and dinner pretty much everywhere.

On the ship the bar prices were reasonable as well, if I remember correctly something like a gin & tonic was about 55RMB, but if you are likely to run up a serious bar tab, consider the drinks package as that includes pretty much everything except champagne and also gives you access to a wider range of wines at dinner.

Thank you Mark. No - we will have the extra day in Beijing before the check-in day, so was wondering about prices for that time. Will definitely check into BSK. Thank you for your help. Sounds like a drink in the bar won't be too bad. On ship - they give us plenty of wine, so we are fine there!

I have read posts that say almost no US dollars are needed unless needed for small souvenirs all the way to posts that way US dollars are needed by the stack for tipping. Would someone please weigh in on thoughts for current needs. We leave soon.

I have read posts that say almost no US dollars are needed unless needed for small souvenirs all the way to posts that way US dollars are needed by the stack for tipping. Would someone please weigh in on thoughts for current needs. We leave soon.

We are here in China now. Dollars and Yuan are fully interchangeable for use. Dollars in good shape can be exchanged at your hotel desk for no fee so instead of taking small denomination dollars, just take large and exchange for Yuan. Dollars or Yuan accepted in Silk Market, or probably children, chickens or anything of value, since they are determined to sell you something.

Weather here in Beijing has been good. Traffic unbelievably awful. For those of you concerned about the local food, my wife swore she would live on rice and granola bars, but she has been eating most of the choices. Viking doing a good job of having multiple food choices.

The Chinese love to have their pictures taken with westerners, especially blond women, so be prepared and have fun with it. They are a really friendly people.

Most in our group are still dealing with time change, which is why I an writing this at 4am.

You will have an amazing time, just go with the flow.

Mike

There is no need to carry USD at all unless you want to.

We used only Yuan during our trip.

It wasn't hard, the hotels would split larger bills for us and it was easy to use local ATMs when required. Most hotels had one inside, as well as the ones that were easy to find in the streets while walking around.

It wasn't hard, the hotels would split larger bills for us and it was easy to use local ATMs when required. Most hotels had one inside, as well as the ones that were easy to find in the streets while walking around.

We are in China now and that is exactly what we are doing: why not use the local currency?

There are ATMs at the airports, so use them when you arrive or transfer. Otherwise, there are plenty in other locations from banks in town to the entrance to the Panda Breeding Centre in Chengdu.

Edited by digitl

Some souvenir sellers on the street had their merchandise priced in US $. These were items selling from $1 to $10 and could be for post cards, kites, Mao's Little Red Book, etc.

We used any leftover Yuan we had as part of the tip to the trip guide so we did not have to worry about exchanging it back to US $.

Some souvenir sellers on the street had their merchandise priced in US $. These were items selling from $1 to $10 and could be for post cards, kites, Mao's Little Red Book, etc.

They do that because they are used to US travelers not carrying Yuan, they will of course happily sell to you in Yuan as well :)

These are also the ones you have to watch carefully to avoid getting fake notes in your change so do try to only give them the right money.

They do that because they are used to US travelers not carrying Yuan, they will of course happily sell to you in Yuan as well :)

These are also the ones you have to watch carefully to avoid getting fake notes in your change so do try to only give them the right money.

Chances are unless you can do some quick math, you will pay more in Yuan in such cases than if you paid in US $. They do not have to give you a good conversion rate especially knowing you are relatively unfamiliar with their currency's value.