Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Then don't pay. Tips are for outstanding service and should not be automatic. That just devalues them...

It may be true that the Chinese guides and driver are not paid. I read something about it on a travelers' forum. In that case, the tip is necessary. On our land trip of 4 weeks, our travel company informed us beforehand how much per day.

It seems to me that Viking did not do a good job of informing people what to expect.

About the food:

We experienced two kinds, one kind for local people, often very good, and the other kind in tourist restaurants, usually not so tasty. This was independent of regional cuisines. Of all the restaurants with lots of tour groups, only two were excellent.

It may be true that the Chinese guides and driver are not paid. I read something about it on a travelers' forum. In that case, the tip is necessary. On our land trip of 4 weeks, our travel company informed us beforehand how much per day.

It seems to me that Viking did not do a good job of informing people what to expect.

For the Viking transportation to/from the airport, no tipping was expected when we did our trip.

Floridiana, have you traveled with Viking in China?

We are doing the Imperial Jewels from Shanghai to Beijing in October with a few days before and after arranged by China Odyssey Tours. We will be spending a few nights in Shanghai before going to Suzhou and Hangzhou, then returning to Shanghai to do the Viking portion. We would like to travel light and leave our luggage at the hotel. What hotels does Viking use in Shanghai and what determines which hotel you are assigned? Likewise, we are planning on a few extra days in Beijing. What hotels does Viking use there. I would like to make reservations now, but would consider changing if Viking assigns us elsewhere. Thanks for your input and ideas.

You should have your hotel assignment by now. If it isn't in the paperwork already in your possession, call Viking and ask --or if you are working with a TA (travel agent), they will have to make the call. Explain why you want them and they should be happy to oblige. If the assignment hasn't been made yet, they can probably tell you when they will be made.

I seem to remember that we had our hotel assignments fairly early on in the process.

so we arrived on middle of t-storm to Shanghai ON TIME!!

then we waited for luggage more than one hr!

Viking agent already had a group around her, waiting for about an hr.

Then we all waited another hr till we boarded the bus for hotel.correction- for hotels....4 as a matter of fact!!!

We were the "lucky one having the most expensive hotel ritz CarltonBUT ER WERE THE LAST TO BR DROPPED OFF!!!

Aufull!! We landed @ 3;12pm and got to our room at 7;30!!!!!

Traffic was terrible and driving tru city in rush hr going to sooo many hotels was just plan stupid on Vikings

Guide in a bus didnot say much except and I quote:

You get all your info in hotel, I am sorry for long drive and

I WANT TO LET TOU KNOW THA WE DO NOT GET PAID!!! And the tips are $3 for driver and $2 for guide...

I newer in my life experienced so Brazen request for tip..

Hotel reception didn't know anything about VIKING!!

after a Lotsa calling we finally got in touch with our guide

She just rather materof faculty said that she came from Bejing and was late and that was it....

Well so much for bad and ugly...

Good , well perhaps outstanding, great etc.. Was the breakfast..

Put of this world western style all kind of ega omelets croissants cold cuts cheeses salads exotic fruit and cappuccino , espresso

Heaven...

Weather cleared sightseeing was outstanding

So this was the GOOD...

Oceanbreeze

Oceanbreeze,

What a lousy way to start your trip and all that time in the traffic didn't help. I hope that the breakfast buffets have helped to make up for it.

You have some valid criticisms and they should be shared directly with Viking so that they can be fixed (where possible--some things are beyond even Viking's control).

Viking does have a an e-mail for such comments. Make sure that you include your Viking reservation number and contact information. Tellus@vikingrivercruises.com. (I hope this is still correct; there has been a recent name change).

All of our guides and drivers were paid. What kind of company doesn't pay its employees? I wouldn't want to travel with such a one.

Tips are for outstanding service, not a substitute for an employer paying the rate for the job.

About the food:

We experienced two kinds, one kind for local people, often very good, and the other kind in tourist restaurants, usually not so tasty. This was independent of regional cuisines. Of all the restaurants with lots of tour groups, only two were excellent.

This illustrates the difference between travelling as part of a large group and travelling as 'independent' travellers. Our guides took us to restaurants where they knew we would be served good, safe local food rather than to a restaurant set up for serving large numbers quickly with food that is aimed at 'western' palates.

All of our guides and drivers were paid. What kind of company doesn't pay its employees? I wouldn't want to travel with such a one.

Tips are for outstanding service, not a substitute for an employer paying the rate for the job.

The local Chinese guides and drivers are not company employees.

There are countries in the world where tips are a necessary part of the income. Have you ever travelled in the USA?

There are countries in the world where tips are a necessary part of the income. Have you ever travelled in the USA?

Yes, all seven continents.

Unfortunately we're finding that the US habit of underpaying employees and then them having to ask for tips is infecting the rest of the world.

Employers should pay the rate for the job and charge the rate for the service. Tips should be reserved for outstanding service.

You should have your hotel assignment by now. If it isn't in the paperwork already in your possession, call Viking and ask --or if you are working with a TA (travel agent), they will have to make the call. Explain why you want them and they should be happy to oblige. If the assignment hasn't been made yet, they can probably tell you when they will be made.

I seem to remember that we had our hotel assignments fairly early on in the process.

We are booked for Beijing to Shanghai in October - and our hotel assignments came with the original booking.

If you don't have it yet - ask.

Fran

I hear min wage is going to $15 an hour or $70,000 a year.

It may be true that the Chinese guides and driver are not paid. I read something about it on a travelers' forum.

Was this supposition gleaned from a forum in reference to Viking in particular or is it just a general comment about business practices in China?

We are getting more than a little off-topic, but someone has a broken calculator I think as you'd have to be working a 90 work week to get $70K on $15 per hour :)

To keep things at least slightly on topic, the problem is that there are often exceptions which allow food service staff to be paid below the minimum wage, and worse still taxed as though they are getting a certain level of tips even if they are not, hence the USA tipping culture in the food service industry...

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are booked for April 15, 2016, Beijing to Shanghai. Thanks for all the great info.

Can anyone advise on how much (if any) free time you had in Xian? Either on arrival day - or the day after? Viking's itinerary says that after Terracotta Warriors, then lunch, we have a "free afternoon". Just wondering if this really means you had the entire afternoon free - or just a couple of hours? We'd really like to visit the Hanyangling Museum (near Xian airport) - and would like to know if we would have any free time to do this.

We just returned and believe that several factors will determine whether you have time for the museum. When will your group fly into Xian, which hotel will you be assigned, are you planning to attend the optional Tang Dynasty Dinner & Show, how late does the museum remain open will all need to be considered. We had free time the day we flew into Xian that probably amounted to about 3 hours before dinner. On the second day we had from around 2 pm until 5 when we left for the dinner and show. It is not as crowded as Beijing and not as much traffic, but it is still a very large city and travel time to consider.

We just returned and believe that several factors will determine whether you have time for the museum. When will your group fly into Xian, which hotel will you be assigned, are you planning to attend the optional Tang Dynasty Dinner & Show, how late does the museum remain open will all need to be considered. We had free time the day we flew into Xian that probably amounted to about 3 hours before dinner. On the second day we had from around 2 pm until 5 when we left for the dinner and show. It is not as crowded as Beijing and not as much traffic, but it is still a very large city and travel time to consider.

Thank you so much for the info. Glad to hear you had some free time in Xian. We won't be attending the Tang Dynasty Dinner Show, so that won't be an issue. This museum is open until 7:00 pm. So I will cross my fingers that we will be able to get there. Hope you had a great time on the trip - I am having fun just researching various options for our "free time" - and for our two extra pre-Viking days in Beijing. Can't wait for the actual trip!

We are getting more than a little off-topic, but someone has a broken calculator I think as you'd have to be working a 90 work week to get $70K on $15 per hour :)

To keep things at least slightly on topic, the problem is that there are often exceptions which allow food service staff to be paid below the minimum wage, and worse still taxed as though they are getting a certain level of tips even if they are not, hence the USA tipping culture in the food service industry...

The tax situation being driven by the 'tipping culture' rather than the other way round.

In China, we were advised, it is illegal to tip in a restaurant.

In China, we were advised, it is illegal to tip in a restaurant.

Yet if you do receive excellent service and decide to leave more than the required amount I can assure you they will smile and not try to return the extra :)

I understand the concern about 'culture creep' when it comes to tipping, but as far as the major cities go, the horse has already bolted in China, tipping is a regular part of the experience especially in Hotels, on-board the ship and other places frequented by non-Chinese.

Regrettable perhaps, but it is a fact nonetheless.

Edited by Mark_T

Yet if you do receive excellent service and decide to leave more than the required amount I can assure you they will smile and not try to return the extra :)

I understand the concern about 'culture creep' when it comes to tipping, but as far as the major cities go, the horse has already bolted in China, tipping is a regular part of the experience especially in Hotels, on-board the ship and other places frequented by non-Chinese.

Regrettable perhaps, but it is a fact nonetheless.

It is regrettable, and we decided not to break the law...

The pits are located quite some distance from center Xian where the hotels are so please allow for travel time in your planning.

They are well worth the effort.

Thanks Going Coastal! Yeah, I was checking distances for the Hanyangling Museum/Archaeological site and realize it is further from city centre (but 20 min from airport). Best scenario would be if tour guide would agree to drop us off on our way from or to the airport (but not sure how flexible they are about diversions like this!). I am so glad you think this site is well worth the effort! This confirms everything I have read or watched about Hanyangling! Plan B is for us to arrange a cab (negotiated fare) to take us from city centre, wait for us while we tour, and take us back. Even if we have to miss our included Viking dinner, this site is worth it.

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are booked for April 15, 2016, Beijing to Shanghai. Thanks for all the great info.

Can anyone advise on how much (if any) free time you had in Xian? Either on arrival day - or the day after? Viking's itinerary says that after Terracotta Warriors, then lunch, we have a "free afternoon". Just wondering if this really means you had the entire afternoon free - or just a couple of hours? We'd really like to visit the Hanyangling Museum (near Xian airport) - and would like to know if we would have any free time to do this.

this is a very active tour, give yourselves some down time to rest. We missed a few things we had hoped to see because there was just so much the brain, eyes and legs can handle? Enjoy.

this is a very active tour, give yourselves some down time to rest. We missed a few things we had hoped to see because there was just so much the brain, eyes and legs can handle? Enjoy.

Good point and one I will definitely keep in mind. Will play it by ear - and if time permits and we still have energy, we will go. But we might just need some down time in Xian, so we're okay with that as well.

I seem to recall that there was a reasonable amount of spare time around the lunch visit after the Warriors, you might consider asking your guide if they could help you arrange a car from there to the Museum and then back to the hotel.