Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Thank you Caribill and to all others who calmed my concerns about the food. I love Chinese food and can eat it all the time, but it probably is more Cantonese style than true Chinese. However, after reading all these posts, I'm sure I won't go hungry and will be able to find something to eat. It won't be chicken feet for me though my husband probably will give them a try. He eats anything at least once.

Thanks everyone for sharing your helpful comments.

Agree with Mark T and Carabill and others about food. I have tried many things and always found a few I liked....going hungry is not going to happen. Arrived back from Terra Cotta Warriors today at 2:30. Leaving for Tang Dynasy show and dinner at 6:30. Time to walk nearby pedestrian shopping area but not to get out to museum with traffic. Last night buffet dinner here at the Hilton and then we walked down to the wall through an interesting area with lots of folks eating on the sidewalk. Park outside wall where folks dancing and exercising. Also, right inside wall very nice area with pretty small restaurants. Our guide for trip is Gao and we are his "family." Folks that went on optional Peking Duck dinner disappointed. Peking Opera sounded merely ok. Hilton hotel and room absolutely beautiful. Prior to flight to Xi'an we had our plican tour of hunting area which was very interesting. Night before we were taken to a lazy abandoned at How Restaurant. We then walked to subway rather than taking bus back to hotel,which was very close,twenty to Wangfujing Street...a snack street filled with vendors of fried scorpions!!! Note on terra cotta souvenirs...you will have lunch where they make little warriors from clay and they are lovely but pricey. I bought free street vendor as we were leaving area a set of warriors and horse for $2. Also, small book on warriors inside museum was $20 and I purchased for $10 at little stall outside museum for $10. Weather has been very good. Great Wall excursion provides cable car up. Walking is difficult and very,very packed with folks but beautiful views of the wall.

Folks that went on optional Peking Duck dinner disappointed. Peking Opera sounded merely ok.

I think it is fair to say that you can do better on your own for the Peking Duck and yes, the Opera is definitely an acquired taste which we decided not to acquire :)

On our trip we booked a duck at the Kerry Hotel restaurant on the evening we first arrived in Beijing. That was truly excellent and good value too.

We used the evening of the official 'Duck dinner' to go to BSK instead which was of course, superb.

Sorry but s ok me of my post got scrambled....not sure how. Tang Dynesty show wonderful as well as seeing Xi'an at night. Food not so good. On to boat tomorrow. Mark, we also had Peking Duck at Kerry Hotel and it apparently was better than excursion and cheaper.

Sorry but s ok me of my post got scrambled....not sure how. Tang Dynesty show wonderful as well as seeing Xi'an at night. Food not so good. On to boat tomorrow. Mark, we also had Peking Duck at Kerry Hotel and it apparently was better than excursion and cheaper.

We will also be at the Kerry when our trip begins on Aug 25. We will need food on viking day 1 after our provided layover day.What do you consider to be reasonable-do you recall what was the cost in RMB of the breakfast and the peking Duck at the Kerry Hotel? And did you do any laundry at the Kerry Hotel or did you bring enough clothes to wait to until you get on on the Emerald. Thanks

We will also be at the Kerry when our trip begins on Aug 25. We will need food on viking day 1 after our provided layover day.What do you consider to be reasonable-do you recall what was the cost in RMB of the breakfast and the peking Duck at the Kerry Hotel?

You can check the prices online as the full menu is linked from the Kerry Hotel website.

You do need to book your duck as well as your table though, can't just turn up as the duck takes too long to prepare, so book in advance and tell them you want a duck when you book.

We will be at the Hilton in Beijing and would like to go to BSK for their duck. What is the mode of transportation to get there and how much time should we allow in transit. Thank you.

BSK is not a duck restaurant.

Not sure where this started, but they simply are not.

BSK is Chinese fine dining, an excellent evening in a very private location with others who enjoy the best that Chinese cuisine has to offer.

I do definitely recommend going there though as we considered it to be the high-light of the entire trip for food.

Thanks Mark T for that reminder, I forgot they do not serve duck.

Should we take a taxi from The Hilton and if so how far/long is the ride?

We stayed at the Kerry Hotel and used the Subway (Metro) so I'm not familiar with the route from the Hilton.

The Orchid Hotel where BSK are based is in the Hutongs, you'll actually go right past it on the rickshaw ride you do in Beijing. This means that even by taxi you'll have to walk the last part as the streets are too narrow for the taxis.

I'd recommend figuring out the subway route as it will be easier getting home that way afterwards as it can be tricky getting a taxi to pick you up near there.

Irocks: thanks for the daily notes about your Sept 2014 ROTW tour. We tried to look for those who went to the Roof of the World lately and found your postings.

We're going on 7/3/15 for ROTW. Did the officials ask about your itinerary when you arrived in Beijing airport? Did you mention about going to Tibet? Just curious. since we were told not to include Tibet information when applying for Chinese visa this year.

Also, how were the vitamins, prescription medications screened at the airports?

Heard about the unpleasant side effects of the Diamox altitude medicine for the Tibet visit. Not sure whether it's worth taking for the 3 night stay even though we already got the prescription.

For the tips: if there are morning and afternoon tours on the same day, are tips given after each tour? Are the airport & hotel baggage & handling fees expected to be paid by us? Sorry, if we missed reading this important information.

Thank you and for updates from other posters.

DH and I had the Peking Duck dinner at Horizon - the main restaurant for the Kerry. When we received our credit card bill, that dinner was only ~ $80, and I believe we both had a glass of wine. We made our reservation about 9:00 a.m. for that evening's meal.

Prescriptions - we each take a couple of prescriptions and a bunch of vitamins. We used our daily pill minder as we always do on trips, and had zero problems, not even a question about them. I know that everything says to have the original container, but we have never done that. Even when they rattle at the beginning of the trip, there's never been a blink from any security person. Maybe we look like we need all the meds we can get! :D

You can check the prices online as the full menu is linked from the Kerry Hotel website.

You do need to book your duck as well as your table though, can't just turn up as the duck takes too long to prepare, so book in advance and tell them you want a duck when you book.

Thanks Mark. But unless i can not find the correct url for the restuarant, the only menu i can find is a sample menu with no prices.

http://www.shangri-la.com/beijing/kerry/dining/restaurants/kerrys-kitchen/menu/

Is there a sheet with the menu that i missed?

We will also be at the Kerry when our trip begins on Aug 25. We will need food on viking day 1 after our provided layover day.What do you consider to be reasonable-do you recall what was the cost in RMB of the breakfast and the peking Duck at the Kerry Hotel? And did you do any laundry at the Kerry Hotel or did you bring enough clothes to wait to until you get on on the Emerald. Thanks

You get breakfast that morning after your forced overnight. Peking duck at the Kerry Horizon restaurant about $80 for one duck for the two of us plus the pancakes and onion and sauce plate. This did not include wine. Yes, order ahead by email. This was very good.

Thanks Mark. But unless i can not find the correct url for the restuarant, the only menu i can find is a sample menu with no prices.

http://www.shangri-la.com/beijing/kerry/dining/restaurants/kerrys-kitchen/menu/

Is there a sheet with the menu that i missed?

That is the wrong restaurant, it is The Horizon you need, here it is:

http://www.shangri-la.com/uploadedFiles/Kerry_Hotels/Beijing,_Shangri-La_Kerry_Center_Hotel/dining/restaurants/the-horizon/The-Horizon-Chinese-Restaurant-Menu.pdf

I know that everything says to have the original container, but we have never done that. Even when they rattle at the beginning of the trip, there's never been a blink from any security person. Maybe we look like we need all the meds we can get! :D

It is really just a matter of luck, 99% of the time you'll never be asked, but if you get selected for a secondary inspection then you'll need those original containers/prescriptions.

You get breakfast that morning after your forced overnight. Peking duck at the Kerry Horizon restaurant about $80 for one duck for the two of us plus the pancakes and onion and sauce plate. This did not include wine. Yes, order ahead by email. This was very good.

Thanks.. Also glad to hear that breakfast was included.. Trying to figure out how many rmb should i plan to use. Enjoyed your recap and have fun on the rest of your trip...

Thanks.. Also glad to hear that breakfast was included.. Trying to figure out how many rmb should i plan to use. Enjoyed your recap and have fun on the rest of your trip...

We got 2000 men to start with at airport ATM but we needed 1020 the next day for our driver and tickets (entrance, chairlift and toboggon) the first day going to the Great Wall at Mutianyu. We aren't spending much on purchases, but did get another 500 in Xi'an before boarding the ship today. The steps down to the ship, about 100, were not a problem. The Chongqing port is absolutely beautiful at night.....Leaving port now. Dinner very good.

It looks like we have to apply for a Visa about 90 days or less out from the travel date. Do you know what hotels your are staying at that far out. I see the service gives you a possible list of several hotels Viking will use at each stop. But the form does not look like it has enough space to list all the hotels. Not sure about that section of the Visa Form. Do they also require a copy of your flight itinerary. We are using Vikings for the flight and I think they give your that information about 75 days out. :confused:

It looks like we have to apply for a Visa about 90 days or less out from the travel date. Do you know what hotels your are staying at that far out. I see the service gives you a possible list of several hotels Viking will use at each stop. But the form does not look like it has enough space to list all the hotels. Not sure about that section of the Visa Form. Do they also require a copy of your flight itinerary. We are using Vikings for the flight and I think they give your that information about 75 days out. :confused:

As it gets close to the time you will be applying for your visa, contact Viking (or your TA if you used a TA) and tell them you need this information for your visa application.

We got 2000 men to start with at airport ATM but we needed 1020 the next day for our driver and tickets (entrance, chairlift and toboggon) the first day going to the Great Wall at Mutianyu. We aren't spending much on purchases, but did get another 500 in Xi'an before boarding the ship today.

Were you able to get a good exchange rate and were you charged other fees?

We're not planning to use ATM. Wondering if it's better to buy Chinese currency in the states before leaving for China. For example, at a local bank today, $100 will buy 580 Yuan PLUS $7.50 shipping fee.

Were you able to get a good exchange rate and were you charged other fees?

We're not planning to use ATM. Wondering if it's better to buy Chinese currency in the states before leaving for China. For example, at a local bank today, $100 will buy 580 Yuan PLUS $7.50 shipping fee.

In China the exchange rate is controlled by the government and is the same everywhere.

You can just exchange US$ for Yuan at your first hotel. There should be no service charge.

By the way, current official exchange rate is 609.6 Yuan for $100. So your local bank is charging you 5% for the currency conversion plus the shipping fee.

Make sure any US currency you want to exchange is as new as possible, not torn and has no marks on it.

Note that you cannot exchange currency on the Viking ship.

Edited by caribill