Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

The only challenge was when we boarded at Chongquing, which I had dreaded because stairs are difficult for me. However, there is now a railing there and my husband helped me while our guide sent our personal luggage and my walker ahead with a porter to the bottom where I picked it up and used it to board. There are two elevators on Emerald. And you had mentioned the Great Wall earlier so I wanted to tell you that there is good accessibility at the place Viking uses, which is also where visiting dignitaries go. There is an elevator to the ski lift and even accessible bathrooms. And curb cuts, which are not very common in China. Xian is very accessible with ramps and elevators, and the earpieces enabled me to hear the guides, even when I was some distance from therm. It is a great way to see China and Viking took very good care of us.

Someone also posted a while back that they had started a roll call for Viking China 2015, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know where it is? Did it get off the ground?

Diana

Hi Diana -

I posted a generic roll call for Viking China this year --> it is on the River Roll Call forum.

Not much there, unfortunately...

Fran

Hi Diana -

I posted a generic roll call for Viking China this year --> it is on the River Roll Call forum.

Fran

Fran, thanks, but I still can't find it. Do you have the link? I've searched "Viking China" "Viking China 2015" and searched thru the 7 pages of River Cruise Roll Calls. I'm obviously not seeing it. I would really like to chat with others who are on the Cultural Delights cruise and specifically the one on 2 November.

Thanks,

Diana

Hi Diana -

Fran

Here's my thought on River cruise roll calls: they take a lot of care and cultivating--and advertising--to get them off the ground. With no scientific evidence to back me up, I think that putting a link in one's sig file makes it easier for folks to find their way to a roll call or thread. It is easier than trying to remember to include a link each time you post. Moreover, one never knows when a post made in other than a China thread will be seen by someone who is interested in or is already signed up for a cruise--in other words, advertising.

While we are talking about roll calls, it's been a while since I posted a list of Viking China roll calls and I apologize. Sadly, my list isn't up to date because I just haven't had the time to look for more roll calls. I would not be in the least insulted if someone else took it over.

General 2015 Roll Call

August 8 - Delights

August 15 - Jewels

September 12 - Roof/Tibet

Thanks, Peregrine,

That link goes to an Imperial Jewels general cruise roll call, so it's not of any help to me either. I'll just stick with the Viking China (Part 2). I've already gotten enough information to fill two notebooks!

Diana

Thanks, Peregrine,

That link goes to an Imperial Jewels general cruise roll call, so it's not of any help to me either. I'll just stick with the Viking China (Part 2). I've already gotten enough information to fill two notebooks!

Diana

If there is no existing roll call for your date, you can always start one.

The only challenge was when we boarded at Chongquing, which I had dreaded because stairs are difficult for me. However, there is now a railing there and my husband helped me while our guide sent our personal luggage and my walker ahead with a porter to the bottom where I picked it up and used it to board. There are two elevators on Emerald. And you had mentioned the Great Wall earlier so I wanted to tell you that there is good accessibility at the place Viking uses, which is also where visiting dignitaries go. There is an elevator to the ski lift and even accessible bathrooms. And curb cuts, which are not very common in China. Xian is very accessible with ramps and elevators, and the earpieces enabled me to hear the guides, even when I was some distance from therm. It is a great way to see China and Viking took very good care of us.

I am happy to hear that there is now a railing at the Chongquing departure. Can you tell me more about it Coastal, does it go all the way down, is it on the left or right side etc? We booked this trip hoping that my hip issue would be resolved by then (I know, stupid thinking). I can walk but does get very painful when on my feet and walking for an hour or so. Have I made a big mistake, will I be able to participate in all the activities? Am doing physio and might try acupuncture hoping to improve mobility. Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts (both able and disabled who have taken this trip) as I would like to prepare myself mentally as well as physically. Thanks!

Absolutely, marry 2121, that was the thing I worried the most about ahead of the trip. When you are going down to the Emerald, the railing is on the right, between you and the water. I need the support on the left, which is why my husband helped me., but if you need support on the right you will be all set. My other worry was that it would be raining and a waterfall down those steps but luckily we arrived for boarding on a dry day. Once you are on board you will find that every day there are a good number of people who stay on board. The doctor on our sailing used both eastern and western methods and my husband thought he gave a very thorough chest exam and diagnosed his bronchitis and cured it quickly. There is tai chi in the mornings onboard. I saw and experienced a lot on the entire trip and thought it was well worth the effort. You are welcome to contact me at gulfbeach@live.com. if you have more particular concerns I could help with. So many of the posters here were such great help to us that I am happy to pass it on.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Hi Diana,

A couple of us tried to start a China 2015 thread, but we were over-ruled.... that's ok. Everything is here in one place.

Got back a week ago from Imperial Jewels and it was fantastic. Roof of the World tour combined with ours, then they split off for Thailand after the cruise portion. We missed our cruise buddies!

Checked the Cultural Delights and it seems like a really different itinerary. Can't quite figure it out since I think Viking only operates one ship, The Emerald.

Keep reading the posts here for any info you want.

Morry,

Shiboazhai is DEFINATELY the most challenging day as far as mobility goes! I don't have any problems but it was a 3 drink day when we made it back!

Bad News/Good News:

Bad: The "walkway" from the ship to land is long and I don't know how to describe it. There are portions of large uneven metal planks (?) put together. After you get across there are lots of steep stone stairs! Then there is a long, steep walk along to the market. Vendors along the way. When you get to the top, there is a really good market (see other post for prices.) Ok, you got to the market :) Now you have to cross the suspension bridge to get to the Pagoda. No big deal, right? WRONG! It is high, long, wooden, swinging, walking bridge. WHEW! You got to the pagoda! High, skinny stairs. I skipped it and took pics....

YES - There is Good News! There are strong men who will carry you across the ship "walkway", carry you up. You are on your own on the bridge!

It's only been 2 weeks, but I already forget some details. Did I have the guy carry my bag/or me there or somewhere else??? All I know is, it is worth it, just negotiate the price first!

Nancy

Checked the Cultural Delights and it seems like a really different itinerary. Can't quite figure it out since I think Viking only operates one ship, The Emerald.

That's right, just one ship and here is how it works: Cultural Delights is offered only 6 times per season (and will no longer be offered after 2015). So, three times a year (March, August and November), the ship makes a 10-day cruise from Chongqing to Nanjing and then back instead of its normal 5-day cruise between Chongqing and Wuhan. There are no Imperial Jewels or Roof of the World packages offered during this time, just Cultural Delights.

Cultural Delights is/was not really that different from Imperial Jewels; it just has five days on the river that are spliced into the middle of the itinerary. Where the 5 day cruises fly between Shanghai and Wuhan, Cultural Delights cruises the distance--and makes some stops along the way..

Imperial Jewels and Roof of the World have a 5-day cruise portion and thus share the ship. In 2016, Viking is adding a third itinerary based on the 5 day cruise called Undiscovered China. It will be 18 days just like Cultural Delights but the added days will be spent on land in Lijiang and Chengdu; there are 8 dates offered in 2016.

Morry,

Shiboazhai is DEFINATELY the most challenging day as far as mobility goes! I don't have any problems but it was a 3 drink day when we made it back!

Bad News/Good News:

Bad: The "walkway" from the ship to land is long and I don't know how to describe it. There are portions of large uneven metal planks (?) put together. After you get across there are lots of steep stone stairs! Then there is a long, steep walk along to the market. Vendors along the way. When you get to the top, there is a really good market (see other post for prices.) Ok, you got to the market :) Now you have to cross the suspension bridge to get to the Pagoda. No big deal, right? WRONG! It is high, long, wooden, swinging, walking bridge. WHEW! You got to the pagoda! High, skinny stairs. I skipped it and took pics....

Setting up the walkway to shore

001%20100_4492%2008.07.10%20Setting%20up%20the%20path%20to%20shore_zpsa3liwkws.jpg

Vendors along the way

002%20100_4661%2008.07.10%20Vendors%20on%20path%20from%20the%20boat_zpsarxrmv9m.jpg

The suspension bridge (you cannot tell from the picture how the planks sway where there are a number of people walking on it)

019.2%20100_4631%2008.07.10%20Suspension%20bridge%20from%20town%20to%20the%20Temple_zpstitz6siu.jpg

And someone crossing the suspension bridge

007.7%20P1090118%2008.07.10%20Suspension%20bridge%20from%20town%20to%20the%20Temple_zps3bozay8c.jpg

We are taking the Imperial Jewel trip from Shanghai to Beijing with the 2 night Pre extend in Shanghai. Can someone tell me how far in advance Viking will give you the Viking Air Plus flight information and the hotel reservation information. I like to research in advance and this helps us plan. Also I understand the Viking Air Option lets us manage the flight options.

I am enjoying this thread. There is a wealth of information. It seems to have even more useful information then the typical Ocean Cruise threads.

This thread is just too good not to keep reading! Thanks for the pictures, Caribill. They are worth a thousand words. And thanks to Peregrina for the explanation of the various cruises. And could agree more with Pat and Gene that this thread has more information than any ocean cruise thread. Thanks to all for your contributions.

Diana

Edited by dlopez

We did Cultural Delights in March/April this year. We plan WAY ahead, and purchased the Custom Air option. We made our flight choices, and they "reserved" our flights - obviously Viking has some way to hold a reservation without finalizing/paying for it. After a few weeks of watching the airline website, the premium seats that we wanted were starting to be bought up, so we contacted Viking to finalize the air booking. At first Viking gave some push-back, reminding us that we couldn't make changes once it was ticketed, which we knew. I expect it's a cash flow preference for them. . . Anyhow, I gently persisted, and they issued to booking promptly.

I hope this is helpful!

To those of you who want more time on the river, which a lot of us really love, I just received a Viking brochure featuring Cultural Delights on November16 of this year. Looks like all categories of cabins are available except junior suites.

My guess is that a lot of you also received this.

Absolutely, marry 2121, that was the thing I worried the most about ahead of the trip. When you are going down to the Emerald, the railing is on the right, between you and the water. I need the support on the left, which is why my husband helped me., but if you need support on the right you will be all set. My other worry was that it would be raining and a waterfall down those steps but luckily we arrived for boarding on a dry day. Once you are on board you will find that every day there are a good number of people who stay on board. The doctor on our sailing used both eastern and western methods and my husband thought he gave a very thorough chest exam and diagnosed his bronchitis and cured it quickly. There is tai chi in the mornings onboard. I saw and experienced a lot on the entire trip and thought it was well worth the effort. You are welcome to contact me at gulfbeach@live.com. if you have more particular concerns I could help with. So many of the posters here were such great help to us that I am happy to pass it on.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Thank you Going Coastal, I really appreciate your reply. I need the support on the right so I am very relieved to hear about the railing. I also appreciate your email address and will use it as I think of questions. Thank you very much. Did you do the Ghost City of Fengdu or the White Emperor City excursions?

Morry,

Bad News/Good News:

YES - There is Good News! There are strong men who will carry you across the ship "walkway", carry you up. You are on your own on the br

It's only been 2 weeks, but I already forget some details. Did I have the guy carry my bag/or me there or somewhere else??? All I know is, it is worth it, just negotiate the price first!

Nancy

LOL Sounds like a 5 drink day to me. Thank you so much for the reply and the info. Great to know that there are options if needed.

Caribill - Thank you for the pictures, fantastic shots and gives me a good perspective as to what to expect. The posters on here are super!

To those of you who want more time on the river, which a lot of us really love, I just received a Viking brochure featuring Cultural Delights on November16 of this year. Looks like all categories of cabins are available except junior suites.

My guess is that a lot of you also received this.

It is now or never! November 16 will be the last sailing of the Cultural Delights itinerary with the 10-day cruise portion for the foreseeable future.

I posted this a few days ago on another board for someone that asked about mobility issues and this cruise. It may be of interest....

Excursions:

Beijing

Tiananmen Square & Forbidden City – bus from hotel to Square – but walking across streets (always a bit of an adventure) and this excursion is about three hours. Gentleman on our trip had a wheelchair for this. The walking is not only fairly long, and you are standing for a long period, but some is on cobbled stones. A few folks tried to sit when our guide stopped to talk – but there are very few places along this route to sit. After that tour, we were taken by bus to a restaurant for a buffet lunch. That evening, there was the optional Peking Opera Highlights and based on reviews, we did not attend.

The Great Wall

There was a fairly short walk to the cable car which takes you up to the Great Wall. At that point, you could turn one of two ways. This walk is difficult, but the good thing, once up, you can walk as much or as little as you like. The problem: lots of people; very crowded. Cable car back down and a bit more of a walk back to the bus, but downhill at that point. I am not sure the gentleman with mobility issues even went on this excursion and if he did, he stayed in the bus probably 2.5 hours or so. After a lunch, at a restaurant above a jade factory (demonstration) and store, we were taken to the Sacred Way of the Ming Tombs. This is a straight, flat walk where you are stopping all the time to view and discuss the specific statues.

Pedicab tour of an Old Beijing hutong neighborhood and visit to a home. We also visited the bell tower from the outside and watched a hacky-sak performance. There was some walking, but not extreme at all. After this, we took a bus, with box lunch, to the airport to fly to Xi’an and then taken to the hotel. I should mention – there is a good bit of walking in each airport, but arrangements can be made for wheelchair. You NEVER have to worry about your checked luggage (but for one time where the sky cabs were on strike – VERY unusual as I understand it), but you will be walking with your hand-carry pieces (which we kept light).

Xi’an

Terra Cotta Warriors

Took a bus from hotel to this museum. Minimal walk to where we got on little carts and taken to the museum. Walked around this museum for quite some time.

After museum, fairly long walk down to the bus where we were taken to a clay warrior factory where we had lunch (elevator available). That evening was the Optional Tang Dynasty Dinner & Show which everyone loved. Get on bus, get to theatre, and you are there – no real walking.

Chongqing

This port is where you have read the most discussions about the stairs – there are a number of stairs but because we were departing, we had to only walk down them. For us, no problem at all but we had light hand-held luggage. There are porters there to assist you and although our guide seemed to discourage us, comments on this site indicated to me that these are people that have porters for their career and as long as you negotiate the price beforehand (guide will instruct you), it is fine to use them (and they can use the work). This would be important for folks that are carrying a good bit of luggage. Once on the ship, there are elevators.

Shibaozhai

Shibaozhai Pagoda – this is a walk. Many folks commented that they weren’t prepared for this walk. First, let me tell you that you can be carried in a chair and a few people were. I believe this cost 40 yuan, or about $7. Once you cross the gangplank, you must walk up some steps and then keep walking up, through numerous vendors/market, till you get up into the town. For us, this wasn’t an issue at all but afterwards, we heard people complain. Then, you walk about 10 minutes to the Pagoda itself crossing over a suspension bridge. Then some of us went into the Pagoda and climbed about 99 steps to get to the top. You do NOT need to do this to enjoy the Pagoda. This is a difficult excursion for some.

Lesser Three Gorges

You take a smaller cruise vessel into the Lesser Three Gorges which was just exquisite. The problem for some, this was a long walk across numerous barges (which do NOT have a flat surface to walk on). A few folks were surprised how much walking they had to do and didn’t feel that there were sufficiently informed of this. (We are walkers so it just wasn’t an issue for us). Of course, you have to then walk back to the ship. I do not know if any arrangements can be made for assistance at this location.

Three Gorges Dam Tour

We did not take this tour, but just to get to the bus would take a bit of a walk and include some steps. I believe the tour itself had some walking.

Jingzhou

School visit – getting to the bus here required getting off the ship, then walking up steps, crossing a street and down steps to the parking lot where the buses were. At the school, there was a relatively short walk into the school area where you stood to watch a performance for perhaps 15 minutes. Then a short walk to the classroom where you sat with some children. This was not a long walk.

Wuhan

Hubei Museum Tour – bus to museum and some walking inside, but mostly standing. Although the walking isn’t substantial, for us, we had to stand around a very long time and were bored. There are chairs in the lobby area of the museum. Bell Performance in a theatre a short walk from the museum, and then back on the bus with a box lunch going to the airport.

Shanghai

Tour was of the Bund area (bused 4-5 blocks from the hotel then a walk up steps to area by river) and then bus to Old Shanghai and the Yuyuan Garden which was beautiful. It was raining for us that day, but well worth the rain as this was just lovely. Having said that, this is walking a good bit and on your feet a fairly long time but once in the garden, many stops to hear the guide. Walked back through the market area and then a few blocks back to the bus. The gentleman with mobility issues and his wife stayed in the bus for a few hours during this excursion. We were then taken to lunch at a carpet store with a very interesting demonstration (BBQ where you pick meats and other items and then grill it for you). No major walking during that part of the excursion and elevator available. That evening, Acrobat Show at the Ritz Carlton – bus to the hotel with escalator up to theater level. No walking issue.

Thank you Cowgirlcook,

That's a lot of great information. Is there another board I should be checking out? Thanks again for all your posts.

Not really, imho. This is the be all and end all of all threads. There are some roll calls (which are more a way to meet and chat with folks who will be on your sailing) and maybe folks try to start other threads but anything that is covered on other threads has been or will be covered here. This is one-stop shopping--and great for those who don't have the time or the inclination to follow multiple threads.

I'm lazy. When I was preparing for our cruise, it was the only thread I followed other than the roll call; I didn't even go looking for other threads about China. I subscribed to the thread--and still do -- and got a daily digest of posts. The digest still comes to my inbox, so I don't even have to log into CC unless I want to reply to something. And of course, I get to re-live fond memories with each new post.