Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Hi, everyone,

Thanks again for all the helpful information. I'm now back from Iceland/Norway and ready to concentrate on China. Four of us are on the 1 Nov Beijing to Shanghai Cultural Delights tour. Is anyone else on that particular tour? Would love to meet some others before we depart. Also for those who have recently been, has the Peking Duck dinner improved enough to sign up for it? I'll definitely do the Tang Dynasty and forego the Opera, but the duck dinner is still in the air. We're staying at the Kerry. Any information is appreciated.

Diana

If you are at the Kerry then you have excellent duck right there at the Horizon.

I'd check the itinerary and see if the dates work out as they did for us, and go to BSK on the group duck night and do duck at the Horizon on a different evening.

If you are at the Kerry then you have excellent duck right there at the Horizon.

Here's another vote for Horizon. The duck is nicely served and more than enough food for two. I was surprised at how reasonably priced it is. The charge on our credit card was only around $80; for that sort of restaurant at home (Tulsa), I'd expect $120 - $150. Make sure you reserve no later than early morning of the day you want to go.

One thing to make sure you expect - this is traditional service of a whole duck, including its baked and shriveled head. I'm guessing some part of it is considered a delicacy. The head was presented to me (I guess a special gift for the lady) on a side plate. I just ignored it; not as bad as being served a fish with its head on. :eek:

The Kerry is a wonderful and amazing hotel. Have a great time!

One thing to make sure you expect - this is traditional service of a whole duck, including its baked and shriveled head. I'm guessing some part of it is considered a delicacy.

Chinese food in China is often served with the head as proof of what is being served.

Chinese food in China is often served with the head as proof of what is being served.

Remind me not to order beef :)

In this case, the brains of the duck are a delicacy intended to be eaten at the end of the meal I believe.

Also, when making your reservation at the Horizon (or any other duck restaurant) make sure they note that you want a duck as reserving the duck is often more important than reserving the table.

Hi, everyone,

Thanks again for all the helpful information. I'm now back from Iceland/Norway and ready to concentrate on China. Four of us are on the 1 Nov Beijing to Shanghai Cultural Delights tour. Is anyone else on that particular tour? Would love to meet some others before we depart. Also for those who have recently been, has the Peking Duck dinner improved enough to sign up for it? I'll definitely do the Tang Dynasty and forego the Opera, but the duck dinner is still in the air. We're staying at the Kerry. Any information is appreciated.

Diana

My sister and I will be on this tour. Glad to meet you!

My sister and I will be on this tour. Glad to meet you!

uniongal, I'm so glad that someone else from CC is going to be on this cruise. If you would like to share details, i.e. when you are arriving, what you're doing the free day if you have it, optional excursions, add on to Hong Kong, etc., send me an email dlopez at utk dot edu. I'm traveling with a roommate I met on another trip (our first time sharing a cabin!) and a couple I've known forever. Can't wait to get this going, but guess I'd better wait until I get my passport back with the Chinese visa in it!

Diana

Thanks, everyone, for the information about the Duck dinner. We'll decide soon, but I'm leaning toward the Horizon. I'm also thinking twice about the opera! I love this thread!

Diana

Don't miss the opera. You will see anything like it. I am glad I want even though I would never go again.

I have been reading through this thread and have gained a great deal of useful knowledge in preparation for our forthcoming trip. Thanks to all for passing on their knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone could pass on ideas or suggestions about small presents (luggage restrictions!) to buy and where to buy them for family members young and old, boys and girls. With Christmas in the not too distant future I thought it would be good to pick up some things out of the ordinary while we are away.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I was wondering if anyone could pass on ideas or suggestions about small presents (luggage restrictions!) to buy and where to buy them for family members young and old, boys and girls.

Jade jewelry (probably not genuine if the price is low), freshwater pearls, silk scarves, silk pillows.

I have been reading through this thread and have gained a great deal of useful knowledge in preparation for our forthcoming trip. Thanks to all for passing on their knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone could pass on ideas or suggestions about small presents (luggage restrictions!) to buy and where to buy them for family members young and old, boys and girls. With Christmas in the not too distant future I thought it would be good to pick up some things out of the ordinary while we are away.

Let me add to Floridiana's list: ink-brush sets, silk robes, silk scarves, silk shirts, silk jewelry rolls, wine bottle covers, Chairman Mao watches (don't expect them to actually work so don't pay more than $10 for them), chopsticks (wood, bamboo, porcelain), silk handbags in varying shapes and designs (we 5 for $10 each from a street vendor), original artworks (unframed; you can roll them up into a mailing tube made from one-liter water-bottles to get them home safely.

As for "where", if you are looking for inexpensive, then try the stalls that line the street as you walk from the dock up to the Shibaozhai Pagoda. Be prepared to bargain. There are also stalls to visit when you return from touring the Dam. The shops at the Warriors have nice jewelry as well as the Jade Store. And, there is some shopping to be done at the Great Wall.

Most of all, as long as you like the price, buy it when you see it because you might not see it again.

143655-1275939738-0.jpg

Above, the stalls in Shibaozhai. Below, an artist in Shibaozhai.

143655-1275939738-4.jpg

[/url]

We will be on the Shanghai-Beijing trip starting 12 October . We have been following this thread for over a year as we planned the trip. While Viking publishes a very low weight for carry-ons, most reports say it is not strictly enforced. My question is have most of you used a regular roll aboard or an over the shoulder carry bag. Also will they weigh DW's pocketbook? Thanks again to all for the information provided this past year.

We will be on the Shanghai-Beijing trip starting 12 October . We have been following this thread for over a year as we planned the trip. While Viking publishes a very low weight for carry-ons, most reports say it is not strictly enforced. My question is have most of you used a regular roll aboard or an over the shoulder carry bag. Also will they weigh DW's pocketbook? Thanks again to all for the information provided this past year.

When we went, nobody's carryons (including pocketbooks) were weighed for internal China flights.

Looks like we're on the same trip, :) Can't wait.

Are you like me having nightmares about clothes? Maybe it's just a me thing but I can see I won't have enough room in the cases for Jumpers, cardigans, coats, boots, sandals, summer shorts and tops and so on and so on lol

I need someone to pack for me, any volunteers? :D

We're doing Beijing to Shanghai on 23rd September and I'm just starting to decide what clothes to pack. According to the bbc weather app it's going to be about 25 degrees in Beijing so I wasn't planning on taking any jumpers, coats or boots, mainly summer clothes with maybe one cardigan & a rain Mac just in case

We're doing Beijing to Shanghai on 23rd September and I'm just starting to decide what clothes to pack. According to the bbc weather app it's going to be about 25 degrees in Beijing so I wasn't planning on taking any jumpers, coats or boots, mainly summer clothes with maybe one cardigan & a rain Mac just in case

WOW another Brit that's finally doing the trip and hopefully understands my dilemma lol

It's a month later and to be fair I do know that October can be changeable and I think that the problem. All of my students have told me the weather is nice a bit like the UK in the summer on a mild day but one student this week said Beijing can be very windy :confused: Doesn't help cos it's been bloomin cold on some days this summer when I've been picking there brains.

I keep getting visions of Cornwall on a mixed weather week but without being able to take a bootful of clothes in the car :D

Edited by travellingqueen

Looks like we're on the same trip, :) Can't wait.

Are you like me having nightmares about clothes? Maybe it's just a me thing but I can see I won't have enough room in the cases for Jumpers, cardigans, coats, boots, sandals, summer shorts and tops and so on and so on lol

I need someone to pack for me, any volunteers? :D

I volunteer! Send me a ticket!

First, IMHO, jettison the sandals, shorts and boots. You only need two pairs of shoes, which should be your most comfortable walking shoes (or sneakers/trainers). You don't need fancy clothing for dinner, although you might want to bring a top that you can dress up a little for the Captain's dinner on the ship -- or not. Gentlemen, unless a sports jacket is your normal light jacket when the weather gets cooler, you do not need one on this trip--and if you do need/want one, plan on wearing it on the plane.

After that, you will need three pairs of trousers or skirts and 5 or 6 tops (plan on having them laundered twice on the ship once when you arrive and once the day before you disembark). All color-coordinated so that any top goes with any bottom and any outer layer will go with whatever outfit du jour. Bring shorts only if the forecast says temps are going to be in your normal short-wearing range and only if you will be wearing them more than once during the trip. (Ladies who prefer skirts may want to consider one pair of pants for climbing the Shibaozhai pagoda where the "steps" are more like ladders.)

Jeans are fine in October but do not plan on washing them in sink; they will never dry.

After that, 4 sets of undies including socks, a light weight weather-proof outer layer. A couple of outer layers of varying weights to mix and match according to the daily weather--and including whatever outerwear you'll need to make the trip from home to airport.

Don't forget gloves and a hat--because you will always feel warmer if your hands and hand are warm.

Always leave room in your suitcase for shopping!!

This forum is so great for advice. I don't know how cruisers that don't read it manage on their cruises lol. I think I'll pack less shorts & sandals & a few more leggings & long sleeved tops, so I have more choice. I always dress smart for dinner so a river cruise will be no different, but no formal wear though. I plan on bringing a few light dresses, some light patterned trousers & some cropped trousers & smart tops for evenings. I'll also be bringing one pair of heels, and a couple of pairs of wedges. I don't do flat shoes on an evening (but that could change if my feet ache too much after all the daytime walking).