Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Agree with Mark, as usual. Probably because of his posts, we knew of dehumidifier and had told a few folks we had met prior to boarding (they were very grateful). We asked for one when we first checked in and it was there before our luggage I think! You do have to keep emptying it - at least our filled up a good bit daily. It really helped!

I see all this discussion on the dehumidifiers. Is it really that bad?. We live in Florida and are used to 80 - 90 % humidity. How bad is the humidity???

In October it wasn't that bad at all, just better with a dehumidifier, especially if you are trying to dry anything in your cabin.

We had virtually perfect weather and could easily have managed without it.

Edited by Mark_T

We are from coastal Florida and you are right - it felt like home in the summer even though it was October. The air conditioning kept the interior cool, but it seemed to be missing the moisture removal part which made you feel cold and very damp. It was particularly noticable after the dry air on the airplane and in the excellent hotels. Much to our disappointment, it took three phone calls to the front desk over the first 24 hours on the ship to get the dehumidifier. As a previous poster noted, not many people knew to ask for one, so they didn't run out. It was just a minor nit on a great trip.

I know this question has been answered, but I'm on information overload and can't remember. So please, does anyone know if I need to bring an adapter for my curling iron and DH's electric shaver, as well as my iPad and cell phone charger. We will be on the Beijing to Shanghai tour staying at the Kerry Hotel, Hilton Xian, and Westin Shanghai. Will I need it on the Viking Emerald. Also will I need to bring a hair dryer? Thank you for your help!

I know this question has been answered, but I'm on information overload and can't remember. So please, does anyone know if I need to bring an adapter for my curling iron and DH's electric shaver, as well as my iPad and cell phone charger. We will be on the Beijing to Shanghai tour staying at the Kerry Hotel, Hilton Xian, and Westin Shanghai. Will I need it on the Viking Emerald. Also will I need to bring a hair dryer? Thank you for your help!

From the Viking Ship FAQs:

If you are traveling on a Viking Longship, you will find both 110V and 220V electrical outlets in your stateroom. The 110V electrical outlets (North American style) are located above the desk and on each side of the bed. Other European ships have 220V electricity, and have the German Schuko safety plug, which has two pins.
In China the ships have a 3-pin blade safety plug; an adapter with just the two slanted blades will work fine.
In Southeast Asia the ships use a two pin-Europlug. Some of these plugs are grounded and some are not. Each stateroom will have one or two 115V razor plugs available, generally in the bathroom.
for more details and pictures of the plugs.

[sorry. I tried to insert the picture from electrical chart but it did not work.]

Hair dryers are available at the front desk of the ship; be sure to return it to the front desk before you disembark.

Edited by Peregrina651

• 3 weeks later...
I need to get a list of our hotels to get our VISA. When does Viking post this information? Or, should I get our TA to call and ask. We are departing 4/23.

I would contact your TA and have him/her find out the hotel info. She should remind Viking you need this for the visa if they do not have it yet.

I need to get a list of our hotels to get our VISA. When does Viking post this information? Or, should I get our TA to call and ask. We are departing 4/23.

Called TA today: Westin Bund Shanghai; Xi'an Hilton; Ritz Carlton Beijing All have excellent reviews on TripAdvisor although the Ritz isn't considered near any of the tourist sights. We booked a late flight back to be able to spend an additional morning touring--but we can work out a plan once we get there.

• 2 weeks later...
Got our Viking documents today! We leave two weeks from Friday. In the cruise booklet it lists the items we need for boarding the ship. One of them is an inoculations card? What is that and will we need one?

That would list any inoculations you received such as for yellow fever.

Not sure why they would need it. We did not have to have it several years ago.

If any inoculations were required by the Chinese government, you would need proof when entering the country, not when boarding the ship within the country.

Probably best to contact Viking and ask why they list it as being needed.

Got our Viking documents today! We leave two weeks from Friday. In the cruise booklet it lists the items we need for boarding the ship. One of them is an inoculations card? What is that and will we need one?

Better safe than sorry. When we traveled to China in 2010, we made sure to have our yellow international vaccination card with us. We had been to Argentina the year before--where there had been outbreaks of yellow fever--and wanted to make sure that we would not be denied entry into China because we had traveled to a country where there had been outbreaks of yellow fever. We had read that China was tightening up on this and so we were prepared. We did not want to have any excuse for being denied entry into the country.

CDC has a travel website. Here's the link for China.

Saw my Dr today and she said yellow fever shot was not necessary to enter China. She's from Shanghai. My travel agent also checked and said Viking does not require the shot. We have never been to South America although we are planning to go next year. I have sent an email to Viking re the Inoculations card but have not heard back from them.

Saw my Dr today and she said yellow fever shot was not necessary to enter China. She's from Shanghai. My travel agent also checked and said Viking does not require the shot. We have never been to South America although we are planning to go next year. I have sent an email to Viking re the Inoculations card but have not heard back from them.

It is not that China requires a yellow fever shot, it is that if you have been somewhere that does recently then you may be asked to prove that you had one before you went.

If you have not been to a yellow fever risk area then you should be fine.

Dear workstocruise,

We are sorry to hear you did not receive a timely response to your email message.

The inoculations information is recommended for your own health and protection; Viking will not physically check for your card prior to embarkation.

We apologize for any confusion and appreciate the opportunity to respond. Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Wishing you a wonderful trip!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises