Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We just got back from Vikings Beijing to Shanghai trip and I can't say enough good things about it. Viking took great care of us and we had a wonderful time. Everything from the flights, the hotels, the tours, the cruise was all incredible. Sure we did get a little tired of Chinese food, but gee we were in China so we expected to eat it often. The food on the river boat was delicious and much better than our last river cruise. I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to visit China.

Thanks for the report.

Our experience was the same several years ago.

We are on the Shanghai to Beijing. We opted for the 3 day extension in Shanghai which gives us 2 full days more in Shanghai. So we depart May 20 and the regular tour begins May 23. Don't know is anyone else out there is on the same tour.

Question for those who have traveled. We are debating with either buying CNY here at our Bank or waiting and using the ATM's at the Shanghai Airport. In the past we have used ATM's when we travel because the $3-$5 the local bank charges for use of the ATM is better then the rate through our bank or the conversion services. The only downside is I recall reading on this thread that the ATM's issue in 100 denominations of Yuan and it's difficult getting smaller bills.

We have time to decide and research just wondering what the community experience may have been.

Waiting now on our VISA's. Sent them out March 1 and GENVISA said 3 - 4 weeks. Got our air confirmation several months ago and one slight change which is to the good on our return flight is now a direct to Washington DC and then Tampa so travel time is less than 20 hours coming back. Still showing not yet ticketed but that I assume is Viking waiting till the last minute to make the payment. We used them which gave us the best Air cost.

Question for those who have traveled. We are debating with either buying CNY here at our Bank or waiting and using the ATM's at the Shanghai Airport. In the past we have used ATM's when we travel because the $3-$5 the local bank charges for use of the ATM is better then the rate through our bank or the conversion services. The only downside is I recall reading on this thread that the ATM's issue in 100 denominations of Yuan and it's difficult getting smaller bills.

We have time to decide and research just wondering what the community experience may have been.

I suggest using the ATMs at the Shanghai airport if using a debit card or if you want to exchange US$, do so at your hotel.

The exchange rate is the same everywhere in China as it is government controlled.

Whether you get the CNY at an ATM or at your hotel, your hotel can break big bills into smaller ones for you.

When we ended our China tour, we used remaining CNY as part of the tip to the Viking guide using us $ to complete the tip. That way we did not have to worry about converting CNY back to US $.

Also have a supply of $1 and $5 US currency with you. A number of street venders you may want to buy from will offer their items for US $ instead of Yuan.

By the way, a growing number of stores in China that accept credit cards will try to do "dynamic conversion" which makes the charge in US $ using a poor exchange rate (this rate is not government controlled). Insist that they make the charge in Yuan and let your bank do the conversion. If necessary, have your Viking guide tell them in Chinese that you want the charge in Yuan.

Also have a supply of $1 and $5 US currency with you. A number of street venders you may want to buy from will offer their items for US $ instead of Yuan.

Also if you do buy from street vendors try to give them the exact amount as fake notes are often given in change ...

For those of you who have completed the China trip, I can strongly recommend the Mekong for your next adventure with Viking.

If you thought the guides in China were good, the ones on the Mekong trip raised the bar even higher.

I won't disrupt this thread with further comments, but if you were wondering if anything could be better, indeed it can be ... :)

We never used an ATM for Yuan. All of the hotels will gladly exchange USD for yuan. You just have to ask. Only one street vendor took dollar bills. Everyone else wanted yuan. Your tour guide will let you know when you can pay with a credit card. There are a lot of places they advise you to pay only with cash. Be sure to bargain with the locals. They always ask for double of what they will actually take. Also May is one of their busiest months, so expect lots of crowds. Our guide said the waiting time in May can be two hours at the Terra Cotta warriors. We lucked out, our tour was only half booked and we only had 30 people in our group and not everyone showed up every day for whatever reason.

Have a great time. Our trip was amazing.

Another tip worth repeating, if you do plan to take US dollar bills, make sure they are unmarked and preferably unfolded.

Marked or damaged bills will be politely rejected.

This is true also for larger denominations that you want to exchange at hotels.

Another tip worth repeating, if you do plan to take US dollar bills, make sure they are unmarked and preferably unfolded.

Marked or damaged bills will be politely rejected.

Because the banks reject them when they are presented for exchange and then they are stuck with currency that they can't can't use. It's like giving the traveler free goods or in the case of the hotels, free money.

Because the banks reject them when they are presented for exchange and then they are stuck with currency that they can't can't use. It's like giving the traveler free goods or in the case of the hotels, free money.

This is actually becoming a wider concern than I realized, a friend traveling to the UK also had USD bills rejected at a bank due to them having marks on them recently...

Edited by Mark_T

Which I find amusing when some of the Yuan notes I have been given have Scotch tape holding them together and the tape is worth more than the Yuan note.

Thanks for all the input on currency. We leave May 20 for pre-extended stay in Shanghai then the tour ending in Beijing. The info on this threads has been helpful. It appears it's best to have small bills both USD & CNY so we started accumulate some clean crisp singles & $5 also contacted our bank and they can provide small bills so we may opt to get a few hundred CNY here and then use ATM's to supplement. This way we will have small bills for tipping and souvenirs and the ATM's which I understand puts out 100 denominations for larger purchases. So that should give us best of both worlds.

Looked at our flight reservation number and Viking has now Ticketed and confirmed the flight. Saw some issue folks had with flights but I have nothing but good to say about the Viking Air Plus program. The cost was far better then we could have booked on our own. They initially asked us to propose our flight plan preferences and if they have a bulk contract they will book it. We gave them our first choice. They did have bulk contract with United and the flight we wanted and booked it. United has since made a change on the return flight which for us worked out much better less travel time and just one stop between Beijing & Tampa.

Have used Viking in the past we are looking forward to a great experience. As I said I have seen other issues but I tend to be a hands on person when we travel and periodically check on the flights, hotels etc. and if issue resolve it well in advance and things usually work out. Of course Airlines can be very independent and make changes to benefit themselves and not much we can do with that but we have picked our seat online and all seems good today. Should see our Passports & VISA back in another week. It's been 3 weeks today and Genvisa said 3 -4 weeks so hope to see them next week. Then time to plan packing.

Edited by gnparend

Found out it was Cathay Pacific--our original flight flies every day but Tuesday now. It has two other flights leaving that day but they get you into Hong Kong late and really late in the day. At least we will have one full day in Hong Kong. It would have been nice to have said, the airline cancelled your original fight and you have been rebooked to this flight.

Now Just need to get the dog sitter a day early and change our transportation to LAX.

Airlines are really tweaking their routes -- for our April 5th Beijing-Shanghai trip we booked our air independently using frequent flyer miles; airline just notified we're rerouted (including change from 5pm to 6am departure time) due to connecting route cancellation - needless to say it necessitated some hasty tweaking of our own arrangements! It's the nature of air travel these days, unfortunately.

Airlines are really tweaking their routes -- for our April 5th Beijing-Shanghai trip we booked our air independently using frequent flyer miles; airline just notified we're rerouted (including change from 5pm to 6am departure time) due to connecting route cancellation - needless to say it necessitated some hasty tweaking of our own arrangements! It's the nature of air travel these days, unfortunately.

If you can find better timing/routing with your airline, they should be willing to switch you to that at no charge since they made such a big change to the original reservation.

If you can find better timing/routing with your airline, they should be willing to switch you to that at no charge since they made such a big change to the original reservation.

While that is certainly true when you paid cash for your flights or you are working with the same airline that you earned the miles with, it is less easy to get that sort of flexibility when you are redeeming with a partner airline.

I'd always make the call though as the worst they can say is 'no'.

Did anyone use the VISA service recommended by Viking, called GenVisa. We sent our documents to them March 1 and got confirmation they received on March 3. Nothing back yet other than an e-mail response to my query today and them saying they sent the documents to Houston (we sent our Doc's to GenViso in Washington DC not sure why they send them to Texas) they said they :eek:are experiencing a slight delay. We still have several weeks before we leave but the 3-4 weeks is streaking in 5 -6 or longer. Wondering if we picked the wrong service company.

Did anyone use the VISA service recommended by Viking, called GenVisa. We sent our documents to them March 1 and got confirmation they received on March 3. Nothing back yet other than an e-mail response to my query today and them saying they sent the documents to Houston (we sent our Doc's to GenViso in Washington DC not sure why they send them to Texas) they said they :eek:are experiencing a slight delay. We still have several weeks before we leave but the 3-4 weeks is streaking in 5 -6 or longer. Wondering if we picked the wrong service company.

China requires that visas be processed at locations that depend on where you live.

Possibly Houston is where requests from Florida residents are processed.

I would still press GenVisa to check on the status as even if it went to Houston, normal processing of one week would mean back to Washington and then to you and that should have happened by now.

Yes, looking at http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlljs/t84229.htm says Florida requests are processed in Houston.

Edited by caribill

We used GenVISA after waiting for the info from Viking to get one ourselves. First set sent had a major error; 10 days later, still not corrected.

We used GenVISA but paid the EXTRA money to have 7 day turnaround. Which was 7 days from receipt by them to mailing by them--took about two weeks total--although we mailed it out using priority mail.

I shopped around to other places, and found GenVISA very competitive.

If the Chinese consulate is taking longer than expected to process the visas, there is not much you or GenVisa can do about it. Any service company would have faced the same delays.

If anything, this situation is a heads up to future travelers that perhaps it is better to send off for visas sooner rather than later, just in case there are unforeseeable--and uncontrollable-- delays in the process.

Sent my documents to Washington, DC on March 1 as well using same service and received my passport with 10 year Visa via Fed Ex on March 25. The Chinese Consulate in San Francisco approved my documentation on March 11 based on the issue date on the Visa. I told them my turn around date was March 31 which is plastered all over my passport now. Gen Visa prioritizes based on your need date so I always provide a date just outside the window of express service by one week. I have used Gen Visa four times since 2010 and have always had my documentation in hand before my need date. My documentation was processed in San Francisco so my documents went across country four times. Incidentally, my independent trip to China is in September so I could have afforded to wait a week or two. They will now process your documentation up to six months early.

Edited by Kohola

Sent my documents to Washington, DC on March 1 as well using same service and received my passport with 10 year Visa via Fed Ex on March 25. The Chinese Consulate in San Francisco approved my documentation on March 11 based on the issue date on the Visa. I told them my turn around date was March 31 which is plastered all over my passport now. Gen Visa prioritizes based on your need date so I always provide a date just outside the window of express service by one week. I have used Gen Visa four times since 2010 and have always had my documentation in hand before my need date. My documentation was processed in San Francisco so my documents went across country four times. Incidentally, my independent trip to China is in September so I could have afforded to wait a week or two. They will now process your documentation up to six months early.

And San Francisco is where the map at http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmzlljs/t84229.htm says your visa should be issued (Chinese Consular post that holds jurisdiction over your area of residence).

Edited by caribill

Got our cruise documents on Tuesday! Hooray--we are departing on 4/19.

However, looking through them, I am confused--once again.

For example, in Shanghai, there is "Included Tour, Choice #1"--Old Shanghai & Yuyuan Garden Tour AND "Included Tour, Choice #2" Acrobat Show.

From reading comments here and the tour information on line with Viking--in Shanghai, you go to both--not either--but why the word Choice #1 and Choice #2

Same with all the other cities and the river tour. If there is "choice" do you only get one or the other--or is the wording bad?

The last time I cruised Viking (Paris to Normandy) I didn't get this nice little booklet--so I have nothing to compare the language to.

Help--I don't want to call my travel agent for it to call Viking and be on hold for 45 minutes like the last time I called.

No optional tours are included--I thought there was at least one in Beijing and one in Wuhan.

Edited by PatriciaF

Got our cruise documents on Tuesday! Hooray--we are departing on 4/19.

However, looking through them, I am confused--once again.

For example, in Shanghai, there is "Included Tour, Choice #1"--Old Shanghai & Yuyuan Garden Tour AND "Included Tour, Choice #2" Acrobat Show.

From reading comments here and the tour information on line with Viking--in Shanghai, you go to both--not either--but why the word Choice #1 and Choice #2

Same with all the other cities and the river tour. If there is "choice" do you only get one or the other--or is the wording bad?

The last time I cruised Viking (Paris to Normandy) I didn't get this nice little booklet--so I have nothing to compare the language to.

Help--I don't want to call my travel agent for it to call Viking and be on hold for 45 minutes like the last time I called.

No optional tours are included--I thought there was at least one in Beijing and one in Wuhan.

I looked at the Viking web site and all I could find were generalities.

I then looked at a recent printed catalog we received. It says for Shanghai that included in the same day are the Old Shanghai/Bund tour, Shanghai Museum tour and Chinese acrobatic performance.

It also lists as optional the Tang Dynasty dinner show in Xian (worth seeing in my opinion) and the Peking duck dinner in Beijing.

As to why your itinerary shows choices for Shanghai, I think you will need to call either your TA or Viking to find out what that wording means.