Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We didn't find the 'shopping' parts of the trip to be excessive, or pressured.

Generally they were around the lunch period so if you didn't want to shop you could just spend longer over lunch.

We spent plenty of time at the warriors in Xi'an before heading off to lunch and the 'official' replica factory. The prices there were also variable if you followed the usual formula of deciding what you actually wanted, then expressing interest and finding the prices too high so you start to walk away, especially if you waited until most others had made their purchases...

There was also excellent and reasonably priced artwork at several of these lunch stops, but if you really don't enjoy even looking, then just take longer over lunch...

As for the Kerry, not only did we enjoy the Peking duck at the Horizons, but wait til you see your beautiful room with a fantastic bathroom.....that was the talk of the group of those that stayed at The Kerry......

I kept two dollar bills in my pocket and upon leaving the Terra Cotta Warriors museum, I was approached by a man who had the little box of warriors - I pulled out the $2 and said this for all.....and I got them. Also, there was a book I wanted, but it was $20. One of the stalls outside the museum on the way that we walked down to the bus had that book for $10 which I purchased. I suggest have a few bucks in your pocket and pull it out.....you are still walking with the group so they know at that point there isn't time for much bargaining.

I totally agree with Mark on his strategy for dealing with the lunchtime shopping stops.....I found looking at everything so interesting.

Thanks for the tip on Horizons for the duck dinner. We are also staying at the Kerry in Beijing. I am really looking forward to visiting China.

Be sure to make reservations for both the table and the duck. Just making dinner reservations doesn't get you the duck!

Diana

As for the Kerry, not only did we enjoy the Peking duck at the Horizons, but wait til you see your beautiful room with a fantastic bathroom.....that was the talk of the group of those that stayed at The Kerry......

I kept two dollar bills in my pocket and upon leaving the Terra Cotta Warriors museum, I was approached by a man who had the little box of warriors - I pulled out the $2 and said this for all.....and I got them. Also, there was a book I wanted, but it was $20. One of the stalls outside the museum on the way that we walked down to the bus had that book for $10 which I purchased. I suggest have a few bucks in your pocket and pull it out.....you are still walking with the group so they know at that point there isn't time for much bargaining.

I totally agree with Mark on his strategy for dealing with the lunchtime shopping stops.....I found looking at everything so interesting.

You got really lucky! It was raining the day we were in Xi'an, so we had umbrellas up and ponchos on. Absolutely no one approached the group from the kiosks or stalls, and then the guide took us thru a short cut directly to the bus, so we couldn't even look! The factory store here was before lunch, so no option to stay longer at lunch. And the jewelry store in Hong Kong was the same. Maybe I was hungry and therefore crankier than usual!

I didn't mind most of the demonstrations. Some were really informative and interesting. However, this was probably my 10th carpet demo, and they are all the same. They still rushed the demos to get to the shopping. Maybe I was lucky and had the only local guides who did this.

And please don't take this away from the entire trip. China was fabulous, and Viking did a great job keeping us busy, happy, and full.

Diana

I'm afraid I found that most of the time, it was a required activity, and with 32-26 people in your group, you won't get a consensus not to go. As I'm sure you know, some people are born to shop! Maybe you can convince your tour guide to scale it back at least. You'll still have an amazing time!

Diana

Hi Diana,

Thanks so much for the reply. It really helps to know what to expect, so we can ask our guide questions in advance! We are certainly flexible about some shopping. And based on all your great reviews, I know we'll have a great time on this trip.

Sharon

Thanks for answering our questions. I am really looking forward to our trip as it's less than 3 months away but Viking still has not given us our flights and we need to get Visas. Should we be concerned? My TA called them and they said we should know by Jan 6. Will that be enough time for Visas?

My TA called them and they said we should know by Jan 6. Will that be enough time for Visas?

I think you said you were traveling in March?

You only need a couple of weeks at most for the visa process and a lot less than that if you live close to an Embassy or use an expedited service.

3 months before you travel is the earliest you can usually apply so don't worry, you have plenty of time.

That said, they can usually tell you the details a little earlier than this so I wouldn't let it go beyond the first week of January without chasing again.

We used Viking's recommended visa provider (GenVisa). I would suggest going to their website and download the forms which are quite extensive. Complete them and be ready to FedEx your passports and forms when you get the flight info. Have a great trip.

Good evening. Just a question about air quality

Have saw on a resent TV documentary about the very poor air quality in the major citys, especially Beijing and Shanghai

On you resent trips was this the case and did it cause you any problems

🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅 A merry Christmas to you all from a rainy England

Edited by Mick f
Title

Smog for us:

Beijing - bad

Xi'an - bad

Li River cruise (Guilin) - medium

ChongQing - horrible, couldn't breathe

Yangtze river cruise - medium

Yangtze dam - horrible

Shanghai - great - blue skies

Hong Kong - good to bad depending on day

From city to city it really depends literally on which way the wind is blowing. And the time of year (we went in Oct). But be prepared to encounter smog at some point in China. Sort of like expecting rain in Seattle.

We got great masks from my dental hygenist. They fit much better than the kind you get for a woodshop for example. Note that you have to go up in cost and bulk if you want the kind of masks that filter out all the small particles (which are the really dangerous kind.) Despite the smog, China is still worth it!

I'm currently posting on my blog ( http://www.travelswithelizabeth.com ) about our trip to China which started in Beijing and ended in Hong Kong. Although it was not on Viking, the itinerary is quite similar, and includes a cruise on the Yangtze. It has lots and lots of pictures. Includes smog conditions. Hope you enjoy.

Good evening. Just a question about air quality

Have saw on a resent TV documentary about the very poor air quality in the major citys, especially Beijing and Shanghai

On you resent trips was this the case and did it cause you any problems

Our trip was in September last year and although we were fully prepared with masks we didn't use any of them.

Doesn't mean there wasn't a problem with air quality, it just never happened to be where we were at the time.

In Beijing for example, we left just ahead of the marathon there, the air quality was bad for the race but it only became so a few hours after we left.

If you are going to take masks then make sure they are at least N95/EN149/PP2 rated as there is little point in wearing them if they are not going to stop the fine particulates in the air.

If you are in the UK, you'll find it is easy to get the masks from places like screwfix ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-aura-disposable-dust-respirators-ffp2-pack-of-5/21458 ).

These pack flat and take up almost no room in your bags.

Edited by Mark_T

Do you think the smog will be bad in early March and any suggestions where to purchase masks?

Predicting smog is like predicting weather; there is no way of telling what it will be like at any given time.

A woman on our bus did have an asthma attack and once she had one attack, she had multiple. Folks with breathing issues should come prepared with all of their medications and inhalers and with masks and they should carry all of the aforementioned with them when they leave the hotel or ship each day--and some might even say that an inhaler etc. should be in reach at all times for the duration of the trip.

Smog for us in May 2014:

Beijing - medium to bad

Xi'an - bad

Li River cruise (Guilin) - low

ChongQing - low

Yangtze river cruise - clouds and some rain

Yangtze dam - low

Shanghai in June 2014 and March 2015 - low

Hong Kong and Macau in March 2015 - dense fog

• 2 weeks later...

You may find this Peabody-Essex Museum website of 19th century photos of the Bund of interest.

Just so you have some comparison, here is a picture of the Bund today; I tried to post something from the website, but it was too large a file to display here.

ry%3D400

The Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) is home to the largest and the most important American museum collection of nineteenth-century photographs of China. A rare treasure is a captioned panoramic view of the Shanghai Bund taken by the local photo studio Kung Tai in 1882. Consisting of 13 albumen prints mounted on boards and 81 handwritten notes, this is the longest panorama of the 19th- century Shanghai. It vividly captures the bustling and fast-changing international port city at a critical moment in China's modern history. The underdeveloped area in the foreground - called Pudong - is home to Shanghai Tower, the tallest building to be unveiled this year in China.

Edited by Peregrina651

I can't predict the weather or the environmental conditions you may experience during your stay in China, but I can give you some little known insight into their cultural. First, fair skin is a coveted commodity in China...Chinese men do not like Chinese women who are darker skinned then they are. Therefore, the women spend billions of dollars to look ashen. In Chinese culture, someone who is tanned is thought of as working outside as a laborer and not as desirable as a business person for marriage. Fair haired westerners who possess light complexions will get more attention from the Chinese tourists for pictures.

The Chinese celebrate Christmas by giving friends apples on Christmas Eve. Due to supply and demand the price of apples will jump from 10 yuan for 1kg to 10 yuan for one apple or about $1.50 US for one apple. The apples are then decorated or carved similar to a pumpkin.

apples-M.jpg

The apple in the upper left was sent to us from one of ship's crew that we met in 2009 and have remained as close friends since then. It is carved similar to a pumpkin. The two with characters symbolize their wish for you to have good health and good luck and were sent by someone I am helping learn English. She also sent the apple display photo.

meals-M.jpg

The shrimp/pepper dish with the fish are from a lunch my friend was eating. The grilled corn and grilled pork are another lunch. These would be dishes I would love to eat. Most of the world eats fish served whole. Travel opens your eyes to what is different...not better or worse, just different.

santa_claus-M.jpg

Santa Claus and Christmas decorations are in abundance in China...notice how empty these malls are. For the winter solstice, many Chinese eat sticky rice in a sauce of brown sugar which is the upper left photo. The last photo depicts some of the new currency just released in China on November 15. The 100 yuan note commemorates the Chinese Space program. There were 500 million notes released so your chances of even seeing one are slim unless you know someone. Also each year they release coins minted with that year's zodiac sign which for 2016 is the monkey.

jack-M.jpg

Since there are contributors to this thread that traveled some time ago, Jack just got married. He was a big part of the entertainment on board for 8 years until he left in 2012 or 2013...notice his bride's complexion. Jack, Candy, and Morgan have remained friends with us since 2009 our first of two sailings. Candy is also looking at getting married soon. She also left in 2012. Morgan still works for Viking.

snake-M.jpg

Chinese zodiac symbols are an important part of their culture. The young lady I am helping learn English cross stitched the snake, my sign. Then she had it professionally framed and sent it to me in the US. She works in a clothing store so her income is limited. This was a big sacrifice of her time and money to show her appreciation for the assistance I provide. She is but one in a billion Chinese that will treat you with the same warmth and hospitality if they have the chance. She lives on the top floor of a six story apartment and sends me a photo of her view on almost a daily basis. The apartment complex has no elevator since it is less than seven stories high, the cutoff for elevator service. She has never seen snow, drives a small motor scooter and raises her 12 year old son on her own. Her son has extra tutoring classes every Saturday for three hours followed by two hours of English classes. He also has one on one English tutoring every Sunday morning for two hours at the local university. She pays for all these classes, owns her own apartment on a salary that wouldn't make a car payment in the US.

I also have a very good friend attending Florida State University for a year to further her studies. She has her Phd and is a professor in a university south of Beijing. Her income as a professor is 6000 yuan a month or less than $1000. With this income she owns a 1,400 sq ft apartment, supports her son and her parents. I just spent this afternoon calming her down because of the tragedy with the tornadoes hitting Dallas last night and the chance one could strike Tallahassee. Her son and parents have ten year Visas to enter the US and will visit the US twice during her stay her. All paid for on a salary of less than $1000 a month. She thinks clothing and produce are cheap in Florida compared to China.

Her English is excellent so I want to leave you with this thought...speaking English and understanding all the nuisances of a language are two different things. The Chinese don't have any idea what you mean when you say "you are so sweet" because they are helpful unless they have spent time around westerners. So when someone on the ship doesn't understand that the thermostat isn't working in your room use simple words like too cold or too hot to get the point across.

I once told someone I wanted to meet them in person...in Chinese this translates as I want to "meet their person" or significant other. I should have said...I want to meet them personally.

Happy New Year to everyone. Just booked for April 2016 and have read through all this thread which answered most of my questions.

I am a bit concerned about the thought of a "damp"cabin. Can someone who has travelled in April let me know how bad the humidity is and whether we can pre book a dehumidifier for the cabin?

I know the weather is difficult to predict but would I be right in thinking that layers with a light waterproof jacket is the way to go?

Really excited about this trip - one for the bucket list! Thanks guys

... and whether we can pre book a dehumidifier for the cabin?

I wouldn't worry, just ask for one as soon as you get to your cabin, you only have to pickup the phone and ask for it and it will be there a few minutes later.

The vast majority of people on the ship will not even know they exist at that point, unless you tell them about it before you get there... :)