Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Wow--we are booked for April and I contacted our travel agency last week as I hadn't heard from Viking or from the agency. We were told it would take about 72 hours--so I will call back on Tuesday.

I am looking at Cathay Pacific--anyone know if that is one of the contract carriers?

I told Viking the exact flights I wanted and there was no problems.

We are taking the river cruise from Shaghai to Beijing on September 12. We have just viewed the YuYuan video from Viking and want to make sure we see it. Is it part of Viking's tour in Shanghai or is it something we would do on our own? If we do it on our own, what is the best way to get from the Ritz Carlton Portman to the gardens and back?

Anyone else on our cruise?

We are taking the river cruise from Shaghai to Beijing on September 12. We have just viewed the YuYuan video from Viking and want to make sure we see it. Is it part of Viking's tour in Shanghai or is it something we would do on our own? If we do it on our own, what is the best way to get from the Ritz Carlton Portman to the gardens and back?

If this is the Yu Gardens, then, yes, it is a part of the tour and should be listed in your trip itinerary.

This was a real highlight for us. It was raining that day - we were taken to the Bund, and then the gardens walking through a lovely market area. The rain really didn't detract, but added a certain charm. The gardens were just beautiful.

Thanks for the reply. It is not mentioned in the itinerary although Viking has a lovely video of the gardens. Glad to know its part of the Bund tour.

Description on web site:

Beijing to China

This morning, see Old Shanghai and travel along the elegant Bund, stopping to admire some of its historic buildings and city views. Then tour the Shanghai Museum, featuring displays of ceramics, bronzes, calligraphy and paintings. After lunch, we spend some time at the exquisite Yuyuan Garden, dating back to the Ming Dynasty. Enjoy dinner at a local restaurant before seeing the world-famous Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe from the best seats in the house. (B, L, D)

Shanghai to Beijing

This morning, tour Old Shanghai and travel along the elegant Bund, stopping to admire some of its historic buildings and city views. After lunch in a local restaurant, tour the Shanghai Museum. Dine locally before seeing the world-famous Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe from the best seats in the house. (B, L, D)

Since the description is different, I have asked Viking why. When I get their e-mail response, I will post it.

I wonder if the Shanghai to Beijing tour of Shanghai starts later on the morning. The difference between the two seems to be that the tour of the museum on the Shanghai to Beijing itinerary is after lunch, where the Beijing to Shanghai intinerary the museum tour is before lunch with the gardens after lunch. Would be a bummer not to see the gardens. Thanks for inquiring of Viking. I'll be interested to hear their reply.

I wonder if the Shanghai to Beijing tour of Shanghai starts later on the morning. The difference between the two seems to be that the tour of the museum on the Shanghai to Beijing itinerary is after lunch, where the Beijing to Shanghai intinerary the museum tour is before lunch with the gardens after lunch. Would be a bummer not to see the gardens. Thanks for inquiring of Viking. I'll be interested to hear their reply.

When we took the tour, we started in Shanghai.

First stop that morning was the Yu Garden (including the bazaar around it). We were in that area for at least an hour.

Then we went to the Bund for about 30 minutes.

Interesting. Here is what our book says:

"Included Bund & Shanghai Museum Tour. Enjoy a drive along the Bund, the city's elegant riverside promenade. Then, enjoy a visit to the Shanghai Museum, filled with exhibits of ancient Chinese art. Return to your hotel and the rest of the day is at your leisure."

No mention of the gardens. So we will for sure go on our own if it is not included.

Thanks. Good to know. Was language a problem when using cabs?

Always have your hotel write your destination in Chinese to hand to your driver.

Always have a hotel business card that has the hotel name and address in Chinese for the return trip.

Always have your hotel write your destination in Chinese to hand to your driver.

Always have a hotel business card that has the hotel name and address in Chinese for the return trip.

When we took a cab in Shanghai, we went to the concierge and told him where we wanted to go. He gave us a business card to show on the way home and then had one of the lobby hospitality staff walk us to the cab and tell the cabby where we were headed. Five star hotel, five star service. (Your mileage may vary).

When we got back into the cab on the way home, we just handed the hotel's business card to the driver and before we knew it, we were back at our hotel.

I did notice that our hotel had a double sized business card pre-printed with the most popular destinations as well as the name of the hotel. They were well-prepared for visitors like us.

Description on web site:

Beijing to China

This morning, see Old Shanghai and travel along the elegant Bund, stopping to admire some of its historic buildings and city views. Then tour the Shanghai Museum, featuring displays of ceramics, bronzes, calligraphy and paintings. After lunch, we spend some time at the exquisite Yuyuan Garden, dating back to the Ming Dynasty. Enjoy dinner at a local restaurant before seeing the world-famous Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe from the best seats in the house. (B, L, D)

Shanghai to Beijing

This morning, tour Old Shanghai and travel along the elegant Bund, stopping to admire some of its historic buildings and city views. After lunch in a local restaurant, tour the Shanghai Museum. Dine locally before seeing the world-famous Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe from the best seats in the house. (B, L, D)

Since the description is different, I have asked Viking why. When I get their e-mail response, I will post it.

And here is the Viking response:

"I did get an answer today from the product department, and the Yueyang gardens are included on the Shanghai to Beijing direction. We are having the website updated to reflect this."

Hi thanks for the update and the fact that Viking have confirmed they have included a visit to yu yuan gardens. When are you going? Because I asked them the same question. We arrive in Shanghai on 22 September and have the day free. Viking have told me that they do not include a visit to Yu Yuan gardens but their agents or the hotel will be able to provide us with details as to how to get there and back.

Actually it's just occurred to me are you doing the 3 day Shangahi visit prior to joining the party?

Thanks, Caribill, for seeking out this information from Viking. I appreciate your efforts.

Gunner, we are on the Sept. 12 Shanghai to Beijing. We are not coming in early so are reliant on the Viking itinerary. It is confusing if Viking told you the tour of the gardens is not included. One way or the other we are going to see the gardens, either if it's on Viking's tour or if we have to go on our own on the free afternoon. Hope you have a wonderful trip. We are really looking forward to seeing China.

I think I may have found the answer. On the Shanghai to Beijing journey we stop at the zoo to see the Pandas but that is not included in the Beijing to Shanghai journey. It looks like they add the Yu Yuan gardens on this one hence it's one or the other dependant on which way the journey is.

I think I may have found the answer. On the Shanghai to Beijing journey we stop at the zoo to see the Pandas but that is not included in the Beijing to Shanghai journey. It looks like they add the Yu Yuan gardens on this one hence it's one or the other dependant on which way the journey is.

Yu Gardens is included in both directions.

Pandas are part of the S to B direction, but some going B to S have had flights arriving early enough to see pandas also.

The Hutong visit, at least in the past, was part of the B to S direction, not part of the S to B direction.

Yu Gardens is included in both directions.

Pandas are part of the S to B direction, but some going B to S have had flights arriving early enough to see pandas also.

The Hutong visit, at least in the past, was part of the B to S direction, not part of the S to B direction.

For anyone really interested in the pandas, since we couldn't count on seeing them with Viking, we went on our own after our first lunch, first day, in Beijing. Where we went to lunch was within walking distance to the Beijing Zoo, and then we took the subway back to the hotel (close enough anyhow to walk back to hotel). I don't believe anyone in our group got to see the pandas on the tour.

Thank you so much for the great review! We are interested in doing this trip next year. Hope you don't mind a few questions!

Did Viking arrange your air? If so, were you able to choose a carrier? We're flying out of Norfolk and would like to use Delta to get credit towards our FF miles. Did they allow you to fly in a day ahead to avoid airline related mishaps that could delay your trip?

Were there plenty of choices related to food? I have a seafood allergy and have some problems in Asia when travelling independently convincing the restaurants that taking the fish out of fish broth doesn't solve the problem.:p I don't want to draw attention to myself, so I always travel with peanut butter crackers in case I can't eat what's served. It would be nice to know that Viking would help in this regard.

In general, how much did you tip the bus drivers and local guides on a daily basis? Was there a safe in the stateroom on the ship?

Would you recommend an area on the ship for cabin? Does it make much of a difference?

Again, thanks for your review!

Make Viking aware of your allergies. We just did the Rhine Getaway on the Viking Mani in July. We traveled with Vegans and they were very well accommodated in regards to their food choices.

Originally Posted by 5326jan View Post

Did Viking arrange your air? If so, were you able to choose a carrier? We're flying out of Norfolk and would like to use Delta to get credit towards our FF miles. Did they allow you to fly in a day ahead to avoid airline related mishaps that could delay your trip?

We are going in May and used the Viking Air with the optional Air Plus ($50 each) They called our TA and asked them to have us pick our Air. We picked United (Air Miles) and we like the connections and flight total time. They said that was one of there contract carriers and booked the flight. So it was the one we preferred, picked our seats after we got the Confirm #. It still shows are "Not Ticketed" and each day it increments as booked not ticketed. Probably they don't pay for the flight until last minute but we are as good as booked

We also elected the Pre-trip 3 day option so we are going a few days earlier, takes care of mishaps and gives us 4 day on the ground in Shanghai. One day they have a tour to gardens in Sizhou and day on our own then day with the rest of the tour group and they free day.

Edited by gnparend

Originally Posted by 5326jan View Post

This is how it works. If you wish to choose your flights (which I highly recommend), then you must pay the $50pp Custom Air fee in order to even discuss the options with Viking. Paying the fee unlocks the door to being allowed to choose among the flights that Viking has available at its special air pricing rates; it does not mean that you have unlimited choice of flights at the price stated in your Air Fare deal.

If you choose flights outside of the flights that Viking has set aside at the price level, you will pay additional fare. If you wish to arrive a day early, you will find that you are now booking an Air Deviation, for which you will pay additional.

About accumulating FF miles. Not all classes of ticket are eligible for FF miles or upgrades and which classes are eligible is set by the individual airlines, not by the FF program. Many of the seats held by Viking fall into this category of not earning award miles and/or not being eligible for upgrade. If you wish to use or accumulate FF miles, be sure to make it clear up front when you talk with Viking Air but also be aware that you may be entering Air Deviation territory when you do.

In any case, do some research before you talk to Custom Air. Know what flights are available to your destination and how much those flights cost --and have some idea of your preferred route. Some people are happy to stopover in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Seoul (all possibilities if you let Viking choose your flights) and others only want a non-stop from the US to China.

Here is why I recommend paying the Custom Air fee. My very informal research has found that those who let Viking choose their flights are the ones who are leaving the ship/hotel before dawn in order to catch the flight home. I am not an early morning person and this is not how I want my vacations to end, especially when there are later and equally viable alternatives. After all that I have paid for a cruise with Viking, another $100 to make sure that I have good flights is a drop in the bucket.

Another reason to pay the Custom Air fee is to avoid the possibility of missing your flight on the way out if you are coming in on a connecting flight. On our China trip, we wanted to avoid flying out of Boston on the first flight to Chicago because we were concerned that there might be delays (and because leaving home at 3am is not a fun way to start a vacation). We were able to arrange a flight that left the afternoon before (without increasing the air fare) and stayed overnight at O'Hare (at our expense). The next day, our China flight was delayed slightly because the connecting flight from Boston was late--and it would have been us running through the airport!

I did notice that our hotel had a double sized business card pre-printed with the most popular destinations as well as the name of the hotel. They were well-prepared for visitors like us.
Big writing can really help. I remember trying to show a cab driver a train station in a Hong Kong guide book... the print was too small for his eyes. He also didn't speak English. We eventually got there when I told him to drive and I told him where to stop while I was reading the map.