Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Had a wonderful time on Imperial Jewels Shanghai to Beijing. Some observations; the internal flights are anything but dependable....expect to be delayed and miss some promised activities...if not more the better.

Anyone planning to take this tour in the summer, be aware that the schools are not in session so our visit to the school was substituted by some very talented children coming onboard and doing a very sweet song and dance show. The teachers onboard (of which there were many), though they enjoyed the show, were very disappointed not to have seen the school itself.

The US$ was accepted everywhere and most welcome even by the street vendors. I did exchange money at the hotels - on the first day I received 602 Yuan for $100 US - at the last hotel I received 614 Yuan for $100.

We tried all the food and were happy to go straight to McDonald's for a proper hamburger upon our return. If you stay at the Westin Bund in Shanghai....be sure to try the oyster balls on the breakfast buffet....we found them to be as tasty as our meatballs.

Best vendor shopping was at the Shibaozhai Pagoda and at The Wall.....I general paid half of the starting price throughout.

This is one great adventure....you will definitely enjoy it.

Anyone planning to take this tour in the summer, be aware that the schools are not in session so our visit to the school was substituted by some very talented children coming onboard and doing a very sweet song and dance show. The teachers onboard (of which there were many), though they enjoyed the show, were very disappointed not to have seen the school itself.

When we went in August several years ago we did go to the actual school. Although it was not in session, some children (and some teachers) came there anyway. First we had some of the kids put on a performance on an outdoor stage and then we went into a classroom to interact with the kids.

When we went in August several years ago we did go to the actual school. Although it was not in session, some children (and some teachers) came there anyway. First we had some of the kids put on a performance on an outdoor stage and then we went into a classroom to interact with the kids.

Oh I sure hope that's the case for us when we leave in 22 day...would love to see the actual school. It is good to know that there may be a possibility of not see it, and least I have been warned [emoji13]

As Wanderer said, flights can be undependable. The airlines are fine, but we had weather problems on the way to Wuhan, from Shanghai, and were delayed 6 hrs. Wuhan is where we met the ship. The group is split up with several tour guides. Our group got in first, around 8pm. The last group to arrive was around midnight. We missed the school and the museum with the brass bell was closed for a few months for renovations. The bells are at the Shanghai Museum, but no concert.

Shiboazhai Market (all markets) - I bought a few bracelets for gifts, and spent A LOT of my time at the market haggling and got a few for about $3 ea.

After I got home I and gave a few out I realized I didn't have enough for my NYC girls reunion next week. EMERGENCY - NO GIFTS FROM CHINA! Today I came up with the brilliant idea to cheat a little and check on line. I saw the exact ones for $0.99. I don't know what makes me more mad, the price, or that I didn't think of it in time to get them delivered.... still no gifts :(

Nancy

Edited by cruzersky2
additions

GC

Everyone EXCEPT the New Orleans group will hear the story...oops

I've already shared with the China girls.

I did congratulate us on the $10 Longchamps big bags & Prada clutches we got. Our best bargains were outside the Ritz Carlton! After the guy saw what we liked, and how all the other women were into our finds, he came back the next & last day, with more colors and sizes. He tossed us a couple of freebies for our "referrals" :)

Happy shopping!

Nancy

You get breakfast that morning after your forced overnight. Peking duck at the Kerry Horizon restaurant about $80 for one duck for the two of us plus the pancakes and onion and sauce plate. This did not include wine. Yes, order ahead by email. This was very good.

Hi - I have a question about the Peking Duck at the Kerry Horizon restaurant.

Is one duck enough for 2? What would you compare it to - size wise? A rotisserie chicken?

Do you just order the duck - and then you get side dishes? Or, do you need to order the extra items a la carte (I see you ordered pancakes & onion & sauce plate).

I am thinking we will do this - instead of doing the Viking Peking Duck dinner.

Fran

Hi - I have a question about the Peking Duck at the Kerry Horizon restaurant.

Is one duck enough for 2? What would you compare it to - size wise? A rotisserie chicken?

Do you just order the duck - and then you get side dishes? Or, do you need to order the extra items a la carte (I see you ordered pancakes & onion & sauce plate).

I am thinking we will do this - instead of doing the Viking Peking Duck dinner.

Fran

Hi Fran - the one duck is more than enough for two! And yes, although the servers do not speak much English, the menu shows other items on the same page as the duck - the pancakes and sauces. We also ordered rice. The restaurant is beautiful (is located in a shopping mall area attached to the hotel) and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience. From everything I have read and heard, the Viking Peking Duck dinner is not worth it and costs more than we spent at the Horizon Restaurant. Make a reservation to order the duck in advance.

Yes, I too had heard the poor reviews regarding the Viking Duck Dinner and had made other plans to visit a local restaurant on the night of this excursion (2 weeks ago). However I did quiz the others in our group about their experience and there was only praise and delight in their experience.....puzzled, I inquired further and learned that Viking had changed to a new restaurant. However, knowing that now I would not have changed my plans.....as my experience at Siji Minfu could not have been topped.

A side note: The Opera was panned by all who attended.

...learned that Viking had changed to a new restaurant. However, knowing that now I would not have changed my plans.....as my experience at Siji Minfu could not have been topped.

So glad to hear Viking was apparently responsive to the negative comments. They do such a fantastic job overall and I'm sure they do what everyone to enjoy such a special dinner.

We went to the opera, though not with Viking, and thoroughly enjoyed it after our guide gave us the background to it and explained the story lines before we went in. It was 'different' and a new experience: one of the reasons we travel.

Hi Floriadana

Which river cruise company did you use as everyone mainly uses Viking?

Thanks

Not sure if you really mean Floriadana? If it was me, then we were on an excellent tailor-made itinerary from Transindus. Our cruise section was on Century Sun: not *everyone* uses Viking!

Hi Floriadana

Which river cruise company did you use as everyone mainly uses Viking?

Thanks

Certainly most of the people chatting on this thread use Viking since this thread is about the Viking cruises in China and not a general thread about cruising in China.

Please, for folks who are looking for alternatives to Viking, I would suggest that you start a new thread for that discussion so that you can get a more diverse audience for the discussion and that way learn more about the alternatives.

This may not be a 'general thread about cruising in China' but it's contents are relevant to those of us using other providers.

It's also useful to be able to put some comments into context such as those I responded to about the opera, an aspect of China itineraries which is not cruise company specific.

A simple enquiry such as 'Which river cruise company did you use as everyone mainly uses Viking?' isn't taking the thread off topic, it's part of the to-and-fro that widens everyone's understanding.

We sent the visas to Viking's recommended processor, Generations Visa, on July 10 and received them back today, August 4. Really excited about our trip on Viking Emerald - Shanghai to Beijing starting on October 10. We are leaving a week early to allow for transit and to do some private tours with China Odyssey before and after the Viking "voyage." Figure we may not return, so we want to see as much as possible before hand. Any ideas and thoughts are welcome.

We have our visas!! We actually used a local visa service --> dropped them off on July 24th, and they were returned on July 31st.

My visa is good until 2023 - DH only has until 2016... (based on the fact that I have a 10 year passport, and DH has to renew in early 2017....). We think we are going to do Peking duck at the Kerry on our own - based on reviews here on CC. Still need to decide on the other Viking optionals --> am thinking "yes" for the Tang Dynasty show, but "no" for the Opera.

BSinPNS - we are doing the tour after yours - starting in Beijing on October 14th.

The count down is on!!

Fran

Edited by franski

We are leaving on 8 days! Still packing...

Do we need to bring an electric convertor to charge our electronics? Will you guys share with us, what do you wish you new before you left? Any last minute advise is appreciated . We are also preparing to leave the kids ready for back to school so I know I am probably no thinking of something.

Thanks!

We have our visas!! We actually used a local visa service --> dropped them off on July 24th, and they were returned on July 31st.

My visa is good until 2023 - DH only has until 2016... (based on the fact that I have a 10 year passport, and DH has to renew in early 2017....). We think we are going to do Peking duck at the Kerry on our own - based on reviews here on CC. Still need to decide on the other Viking optionals --> am thinking "yes" for the Tang Dynasty show, but "no" for the Opera.

BSinPNS - we are doing the tour after yours - starting in Beijing on October 14th.

The count down is on!!

Fran

Not sure if that's why he didn't get a ten year visa. My passport also expires n 2017 and I got the visa for the full 10 years. We did use GenVisa.