Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Any suggestions for gifts at the school? A friend that did this cruise last year said that US money was the most wanted/needed gift. Agree? If not, what do you suggest?

I would agree, cash is the most useful thing for them.

There is no lack of ability to source the materials they need, only a lack of funds to pay for them.

Anyone else here on the April 23 Shanghai to Beijing tour?

Got our pictures taken for our VISA yesterday. Now trying to decide do I want to drive into downtown LA to get them directly from the Chinese consulate or just use the expeditor recommended by Viking.

Because we live on the Texas coast, Houston is also our designated Chinese (and Indian) consulate also and we have used an agent there in the past. However for our Viking trip last year we sent everything to their service, it was sent on to Houston and still returned in the stated time.

Have a wonderful trip!

We are preparing for our trip and have to plan what cash to carry on hand in US Dollars and availability of ATM in Airport or on land for debit card withdraws in local currency. I did read many post back that the tipping for tour guide was done at the end of the tour and in US Dollars so I assume we need to plan on having that much cash on hand. Nor sure yet haow the tipping for the tour guide goes. I did read on the ship you can add to your credit card. So any insight here will be appreciated.

We are preparing for our trip and have to plan what cash to carry on hand in US Dollars and availability of ATM in Airport or on land for debit card withdraws in local currency. I did read many post back that the tipping for tour guide was done at the end of the tour and in US Dollars so I assume we need to plan on having that much cash on hand. Nor sure yet haow the tipping for the tour guide goes. I did read on the ship you can add to your credit card. So any insight here will be appreciated.

The last evening your tour guide will be at your hotel (probably in the lobby) to receive your tips. We tipped a combination of Yuan that we had left over and the rest in US$.

The tips on the boat can be put on your charge card, while on the boat but at least when we did the tour several years ago, the tip for the Viking guide could not.

We are on the 4/13/16 Shanghaii to Beijing cruise. Is their a night in Beijing when dinner is on our own? If so, which night and looking for recommendation Peking Duck Dinner? We are staying at Ritz but can we easily get to Horizon at Kerry? Thank you..

We are on the 4/13/16 Shanghaii to Beijing cruise. Is their a night in Beijing when dinner is on our own? If so, which night and looking for recommendation Peking Duck Dinner? We are staying at Ritz but can we easily get to Horizon at Kerry? Thank you..

If you have not received it yet, any day now you should receive a booklet from Viking listing the day-by-day itinerary including when their are group and optional dinners.

As I remember our trip, Viking did include dinner every evening (sometimes in the hotel and not as a group), so you would have to pick an evening in Beijing that you are willing to give up the Viking provided dinner.

We are on the 4/13/16 Shanghaii to Beijing cruise. Is their a night in Beijing when dinner is on our own? If so, which night and looking for recommendation Peking Duck Dinner?...
Viking has multiple itineraries in China; I'm not sure which one you are on. As caribill said you are covered for almost all meals, but as an example from http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/asia/imperial-jewels-china/2016-beijing-shanghai/index.html#itineraryday/3

This evening, dine at a local restaurant and relax at your hotel, or enjoy an optional Peking duck dinner, the region’s famous dish. (B, L, D)

Thom

Generally the only evening which is free there is the evening you arrive if you are starting in Beijing.

That was the evening we elected to go to Horizon and the Kerry.

We then used the evening when Viking offered the duck dinner to go out on our own to BSK.

We were on the Shanghai to Beijing tour last September12. We did the Pekong duck dinner with Viking. The restaurant they now use was excellent. We stayed at the rarity Carlton. Some who did not opt for the Peking duck dinner ate at an Italian restaurant at the Ritz. There is a wonderful shopping mall attached to the Ritz and the Italian restaurant was located in that area.

We had a wonderful trip with Viking.

Here are some valuable phrases for your trip to China. First, there are 4 tones in the Chinese language as well as a fifth neutral tone. Think of your voice pitch from 1 to 5 with a 5 being a high singing voice. First tone...-flat high pitch tone(hold a 5) like you are holding a note singing Yī...eeee, which in one in Chinese.

Second tone...rising tone like you are saying what(go from 3 to 5)...Guó...hard g+wok-k, country in Chinese.

Third tone...low dipping tone (2 to 1 to 2)...jiǔ ...j in jeep +yo, nine or alcohol in Chinese.

Fourth tone...quick dropping tone(5 to 1) like you are telling a child no...Bù...boo, which is a negative in Chinese. The Chinese language does not contain traditional yes/no like in English i.e. I eat...Wo chi...I don't eat...Wo bu chi.

Neutral tone...monotone and quick...words like de(possessive), ma(ask a yes/no question)(pitch at a quick 3).

1)Ni Hao...Hello...literally, you good...sounds like knee & how. Both han zi(characters) are third tone so your voice should dip and raise on the hao.

2)Zai Jian...Good bye...literally, again see...sounds like sigh & j+yen Both are 4th tone...two quick drops.

3)Xie xie...Thank you...literally same meaning...sounds like sh+yes-s. Fourth and neutral tone so quick.

4)Bu yao...Don't want...literally do not...sounds like boo & y+ouch-ch. Both 4th tone. Probably the most useful phrase to learn because it will stop the vendors if you say it like you mean it.

5)Tai gui...too expensive literally same meaning...sounds like tie & g+way. Both 4th tone.

6)Duo shao...how much? literally more/less...sounds like D+wok-k & shout-t. 1st and 3rd tones.

7)Gan bei...cheers...literally dry glass...sounds similar to gone-e & bay. Both 1st tones.

8)Xi shou jian...polite for restroom...literally wash hands room...to ask where the restroom is....Xi shou jian zai na li?...restroom located where? xi shou jian...Shee show j+yen and ds+eye nah lee.

Simple sentences in Chinese are same as English, but questions and complex sentences are quite different. Question words are at the end of a sentence. For example...What are you doing? becomes...Ni zai zuo shen me? You are doing what?

Complex sentences...Subject, when, where, how, and finally action. For example...I will travel to China in September to visit friends. To translate to Chinese the word order is switched to "I in September to visit friends will travel to China."

If there is interest, I'll add more to include the common words for food and drink.

We paid extra to be able to pick the exact flights we wanted. We paid extra to be able to have a 3 day lay over in Hong Kong.

Our 930 AM flight has now been changed to midnight! This requires us to have our dog sitter come in a day early, change our ride to the airport, and we now arrive at 645 AM--so we can sit in the hotel lobby until 3 PM when our room is ready.

This is the final issue with Viking--we have had others too--will NEVER EVER sail Viking again and we haven't even made it to China yet.

We paid extra to be able to pick the exact flights we wanted. We paid extra to be able to have a 3 day lay over in Hong Kong.

Our 930 AM flight has now been changed to midnight! This requires us to have our dog sitter come in a day early, change our ride to the airport, and we now arrive at 645 AM--so we can sit in the hotel lobby until 3 PM when our room is ready.

Who changed the flight? The airline or Viking?

If the airline changed it, then it is not Viking's fault.

If Viking changed it, they owe you an explanation as well as a refund of the flight customization cost.

I was thinking the same thing as Caribill...

Usually, flight changes are the AIRLINE's issue...

All Viking, or any other cruiseline, does is to book the flights for you...

Flight schedule changes happen all the time...even when you book your own.

Found out it was Cathay Pacific--our original flight flies every day but Tuesday now. It has two other flights leaving that day but they get you into Hong Kong late and really late in the day. At least we will have one full day in Hong Kong. It would have been nice to have said, the airline cancelled your original fight and you have been rebooked to this flight.

Now Just need to get the dog sitter a day early and change our transportation to LAX.

Edited by PatriciaF

Dear PatriciaF,

We are in receipt of your comments and are sorry to learn about your disappointment in the recent adjustment to your air schedule.

As caribill and Bruin Steve have suggested, it is not uncommon for airlines to make adjustments to existing flights without warning. While we do our best to communicate these changes to our guests as soon as we are notified, we do apologize if the notice failed to include an explanation.

From your comments, we understand this is not the first disappointment you’ve encountered and are interested in discussing the details of your experience further. Please contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we may review your concerns and attempt to restore any lost anticipation.

PatriciaF, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond. We look forward to your email message.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

This is the final issue with Viking--we have had others too--will NEVER EVER sail Viking again and we haven't even made it to China yet.

Found out it was Cathay Pacific--our original flight flies every day but Tuesday now. It has two other flights leaving that day but they get you into Hong Kong late and really late in the day. At least we will have one full day in Hong Kong. It would have been nice to have said, the airline cancelled your original fight and you have been rebooked to this flight.

Now Just need to get the dog sitter a day early and change our transportation to LAX.

Dear PatriciaF,

We are in receipt of your comments and are sorry to learn about your disappointment in the recent adjustment to your air schedule.

From your comments, we understand this is not the first disappointment you’ve encountered and are interested in discussing the details of your experience further. Please contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we may review your concerns and attempt to restore any lost anticipation.

PatriciaF, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond. We look forward to your email message.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

eMail just sent

We just got back from Vikings Beijing to Shanghai trip and I can't say enough good things about it. Viking took great care of us and we had a wonderful time. Everything from the flights, the hotels, the tours, the cruise was all incredible. Sure we did get a little tired of Chinese food, but gee we were in China so we expected to eat it often. The food on the river boat was delicious and much better than our last river cruise. I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to visit China.