Free Hotel and transfers still included with deviation?

Hi Everyone,

Meeting with out TA this weekend and just wanted a general idea. If we are using Regent air but paying the deviation fee (to go in a few days early and stay a few days after) do we still get the free transfers (mainly interested in the first aiport to hotel, hotel to ship)? Do we still get the free hotel night? We would plan to book additional nights at whatever hotel they booked for us.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Meeting with out TA this weekend and just wanted a general idea. If we are using Regent air but paying the deviation fee (to go in a few days early and stay a few days after) do we still get the free transfers (mainly interested in the first aiport to hotel, hotel to ship)? Do we still get the free hotel night? We would plan to book additional nights at whatever hotel they booked for us.

Thanks!

First of all most of us recommend not taking the not free transfers and hotel nites. In almost every instance you can get the same quality or better hotels and transfers much cheaper than using Regent. And, if you do take the Regent hotel, almost positive you can

Now, to answer your question, if you deviate or do your own air, you don't get the transfers from or to the airport but, you do get the transfer to the ship at least I think it is that way.

Here's how it worked out for us, in what may be the same situation the OP is inquiring about. We booked Regent air with a deviation and BC upgrade to arrive early and stay on a few extra days post-cruise. We took the pre-cruise hotel offer from Regent, and booked our additional night in that same hotel at our cost, making sure the hotel knew we were part of the Regent group.

Regent did not provide airport to pre-cruise hotel transfers, we had to arrange that ourselves, no big deal. Regent did provide hotel to ship transfers for embarkation. When the cruise ended, we were on our own for transfers to our hotel and from there to the airport.

We chose an additional pre-cruise night in Athens and an additonal post-cruise in Istanbul for our April 2012 cruise. Right or wrong, good or bad, more expensive or not, Regent is taking care of all of this. I have been told that as long as Regent books the hotels and the air, ALL transfers are included.

Here's how it worked out for us, in what may be the same situation the OP is inquiring about. We booked Regent air with a deviation and BC upgrade to arrive early and stay on a few extra days post-cruise. We took the pre-cruise hotel offer from Regent, and booked our additional night in that same hotel at our cost, making sure the hotel knew we were part of the Regent group.....

That is exactly what we did...did an air deviation, went a day early to the same hotel, airport to hotel and extra night our nickel, still got the "free" night pre cruise and ship to airport transfers post cruise.

• 2 years later...

I am facing this same conundrum as I try to sort out whether or not transfers to hotel or port are actually free AS ADVERTISED in Regent's brochures and on their website.

We have been told that if we don't book our air through Regent, there will be no free airport to port transfers--even though they advertise "free" transports from the airport (no provisos mentioned).

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this even legal? I need some advice...!

In addition to requiring Regent to book your air and hotel, you have to be going to and from the ship the same day everyone else is. For instance, we disembarked the ship a day early (when it overnighted in Lima) a couple of years ago. They had half a busload of passengers going to the airport the night before and they included it. They no longer will do this (at least they wouldn't when we wanted to do the same thing in Bangkok).

Our party would be at the airport the day that Regent is scheduled to transfer guests to the port. My question is how can a cruise line state in writing that they provide free transfers from the airport to the port (WITHOUT LISTING ANY RESTRICTIONS) without honoring this statement? Who regulates the cruise lines for "truth in advertising?"

In the brochure terms and conditions it states:

"All Guests who elect not to participate in Regent

Seven Seas Cruises standard Air/Sea Program or do

not purchase transfer arrangements from Regent

Seven Seas Cruises will be responsible for their own

transfer arrangements to and from the ship."

I agree that it would be better if Regent put an asterisk on the line mentioning free (i.e. included at no extra charge) transfers which referred to the terms and condition. If you believe the lack of an asterisk is misleading, your remedy is to file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General's Office.

Frankly, I've found that, with a few exceptions, arranging your own transfers is a much better choice than using Regent's transfers.

Agree with DaveFr except that there are cases when it is a good idea to use Regent Air/hotel/transfers. If the port is far from the city where you will be staying (Rio, Rome, Bangkok) for instance, we use the hotel and transfers. We would have missed a plane in Rio if we had been on our own. The flight was held because so many passengers from Regent were late -- traffic was horrendous. Something to think about!

In terms of truth in advertising, Regent and other cruise lines have been nit picked on this before. If they listed every possible limit or restriction, it would be a very long document. Instead, they use general statements (such as what DaveFr quoted). Regent has itself well protected legally. It is up to the passenger to insure that they understand restrictions -- whether it means reading the fine print, speaking with Regent directly, speaking with your TA (assuming that they are familiar with booking cruises) and/or asking on Cruise Critic. As has been said on these boards before, nothing is "free" but many things are included. You pay for air, hotel, etc. in your cruise fare. Regent bundles it to give their guests an all-inclusive experience -- one where you do not have to think about anything (unless or until a guest decides not to participate in the all-inclusive package which, IMO, is what deviation is all about).

So, firstcruise2012, your TA should be familiar with all of this if they book cruises frequently as you will no doubt have more questions. If they do not, suggest you find a TA with cruise experience -- IMO, this is very important.

I just reread your first post. Did you book the extra nights through Regent? If so, you probably paid a lot more than if you had booked this on your own. Also, as other have stated, Regent will not be picking you up at the airport because of this deviation.

Although Regent Air, Hotels, transfers, etc., are a bit confusing, once you are onboard, Regent will take care of you in a style to which you will become accustomed:)

Edited by Travelcat2

TC,

Just to clarify, the free transfers statement is general. The statement I quoted is specific and limits the general statement.

For the record, firstcruise2012 started this thread in 2011. Although useful for newbies, I doubt he or she still needs the advice. :D

TC,

Just to clarify, the free transfers statement is general. The statement I quoted is specific and limits the general statement.

For the record, firstcruise2012 started this thread in 2011. Although useful for newbies, I doubt he or she still needs the advice. :D

Thanks Dave..... wonder why dead threads are brought back to life when so much has changed in two years. I'm sure you noticed the 2006 resurrected thread ....... Regent wasn't even owned by the same company. Sure makes it difficult to answer questions. Glad that you are paying attention:)

The question that should be asked is not when these transfers are included but that they are advertised as free. They are not free even if you participate in Regent's air program and arrive the date of departure. They are included but you are paying for them just as you are for the shore excursions et al.

TC,

Thanks Dave..... wonder why dead threads are brought back to life when so much has changed in two years. I'm sure you noticed the 2006 resurrected thread ....... Regent wasn't even owned by the same company. Sure makes it difficult to answer questions. Glad that you are paying attention:)

fleasic, Welcome to Cruise Critic!

True, this thread was started in 2011, but fleasic, a new poster, brought it back up today, about 8 posts ago with a similar question.

Guess the search function is working again! Some members are always telling members to use the search function.

cwn: good to see you on the Regent board. Any chance you'll be cruising Regent again (perhaps when the new ship launches)?

Must say that I am a bit taken aback by the "new" OP immediately questioning the honesty of Regent's advertising. Perhaps they will come back and post a bit more.

Must say that I am a bit taken aback by the "new" OP immediately questioning the honesty of Regent's advertising. Perhaps they will come back and post a bit more.

Wonder why you are taken aback regarding Regent's advertising?? Regent has proven over several years that at best their advertising is intentionally misleading and at worst dishonest.

cwn: good to see you on the Regent board. Any chance you'll be cruising Regent again (perhaps when the new ship launches)?

Hi TC, give your DH our best.

If they are new to cruising, they may not realize that the "free transfers" are as a group by bus from airport and hotel to ship. Maybe they are thinking since Regent is classed as a "luxury" line that the transfers are done based on the passengers schedule by car like the hotels that offer an included airport transfer do. Not massed together on a bus based on a set schedule.

I follow the Regent board just to see what's going on. Don't know if we will cruise with Regent again, but I never say never anymore! Regent's real downer for us is the built in cost for the "free shore excursions". We do love the new Seabourn ships, the suites are so much more comfortably furnished for us. Plus we still love the Princess little girls that are sister ships to Oceania's. Will check out Regent's new build, as things do change over time.

Next year we will be doing three month long cruises, a river cruise in Burma and one TA on Queen Mary II to get back to the US as we spend 5 months working our way around the world again. We also want to do the Antarctic again now that Seabourn is doing the landings.

Take care,

Carolyn

Edited by cwn

TC,

Just to clarify, the free transfers statement is general. The statement I quoted is specific and limits the general statement. :D

lol, Dave, spoken like a true lawyer ;). It took me a few months to get what you are saying, back at the tender age of 47.

Sorry, but I don't know how to do a double quote in same post, but then this from Rallydave:

Wonder why you are taken aback regarding Regent's advertising?? Regent has proven over several years that at best their advertising is intentionally misleading and at worst dishonest.

And my response to rallydave:

Rallydave, there goes Oscar again. When you make a statement like this, you need to back it up with facts to make your point. No one here knows your Regent experience, or the circumstances that led to your leaving the line. But I'm hoping you've found another cruise line more to your liking. We all pay money, and should be satisfied with our own expectations, whatever they are.

Edited by jhp

lol, Dave, spoken like a true lawyer ;). It took me a few months to get what you are saying, back at the tender age of 47.

Sorry, but I don't know how to do a double quote in same post, but then this from Rallydave:

And my response to rallydave:

Rallydave, there goes Oscar again. When you make a statement like this, you need to back it up with facts to make your point. No one here knows your Regent experience, or the circumstances that led to your leaving the line. But I'm hoping you've found another cruise line more to your liking. We all pay money, and should be satisfied with our own expectations, whatever they are.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear. We love the on board experience many people talk about with the exception of the Destinations department whose people are more money grubbing than taking care of the customer. Also the home office is comprised of many inept people who are poorly trained and led by Management whose best response to real issues is to ignore them and not respond to people who request solutions to issues. Truly am hoping that some of these issues that mostly fall on the Miami office are solved and the on board experience remains or improves so that we can again cruise Regent.

OK JHP, will provide you examples:

2 for 1 pricing that is always 2 for 1 and NEVER the full price listed

Towards the end of each quarter warnings to book now or the price will increase and rarely do the prices change.

Special pricing that is exactly identical to the regular pricing, simply removing some of the "free" items.

Then the "free" items that are not free but, paid for by the passengers and really "included"

Unlimited excursions when the better ones are extra cost and many have some sort limitation and for people booking late or not computer saavy find that none are available.

Policy changes that are not published and simply suddenly impact people.

Price increases for things like deviations, way higher than inflation

People in the call center who provide incorrect answers seem to be afraid to say they don't know and will find out.

Significant decreases in air credits while the cruise fare increases and the amount paid for the actual air fare increases.

A destinations department that is much more driven by increasing the revenue than taking care of the customer.

Think the above are enough items to justify my comment. Sure there are more but, those are the ones that quickly come to mind.

Thanks for asking,

rallydave, glad you responded with your particular gripes about Regent, and giving your specifics. It is helpful to know where you are coming from.

While it appears that most of your complaints are geared toward their style of marketing, none of those bother me. Without getting into the legal part, they are not illegal methods. Just the way you look at it, "included", or FREE because you have no extra charges for it on top of your fare. Regent surely has everything checked for any such issues.

I already knew your complaints on your cruise back then were about the destinations department and a couple of extremely disappointing excursions affected by conditions beyond Regent's control. And yes, there were a lot of complaints about that department for a short time, but I find the people at the desk greatly improved now, perhaps because of what was reported here, and through the comment cards.

They are much more careful to tell you, if you want to know, exactly where you will be going at what minute. To the point where if one person wants to visit a site, and the rest of the group wants to get back to the ship, that one person will get what they want, to the point sometimes of near mutiny amongst the passengers. the guides are trained to stick to the exact schedule and are not supposed to deviate.

Glad to know that you have no complaints about the onboard experience otherwise. For me, that is what matters.