do~able?

smurf1635

After many weeks of feeling overwhelmed and confused, I'm starting to get a handle on what is available and what I'm interested in doing at each of the Hawaiian ports. Mostly, thanks to the "OCD Golden Hawaii" review!

How many hours should we plan to pick up our rental, drive to Volcano National Park, stop at Akaka Falls and visit Punaluu Black Sand Beach? Are there other black sand beaches, maybe something more convienent?

If someone could give me a sample itinery for these desired stops (which one first, which direction?) I'd be so very grateful :)

Robin

In Hilo we did Blue Hawaiian Helicopter excursion first thing in the morning, picked up a rental car and drove to VPN. Afterwards we went to Richardson Beach Park that the Blue Hawaiian excursion leader told us about - it is a black sand beach about two miles from the cruise port and seemed to be more popular with locals than with cruisers. There were huge waves crashing on the area but the main swimming section is quite protected.

Okay, I can't help you with any of this, but one of my favorite gifts from a friend who was visiting Hawaii, was black sand scooped into a water bottle and trudged back to the mainland for me:) She brought me a couple of other things, but the sand was my fave!

A lot depends on how long you plan to spend at VNP and what type of sightseeing you plan to do. Some folks like to spend time hiking a few of the trails. Or, if you plan to drive all the way down Chain of Craters Road you will be spending an extra 1 to 2 hours at the park. It is probably best to decide what sights you want to see in the park and then plan other activities for the day after that.

Okay, I can't help you with any of this, but one of my favorite gifts from a friend who was visiting Hawaii, was black sand scooped into a water bottle and trudged back to the mainland for me:) She brought me a couple of other things, but the sand was my fave!

You might want to find out about the local custom of not removing certain objects from the beaches. Not sure if sand is included, but there is a legend (bad karma) about this.

As for further info about the Golden Princess cruise (which I highly recommend), I invite you to read my blog:

http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/

You might want to find out about the local custom of not removing certain objects from the beaches. Not sure if sand is included' date=' but there is a legend (bad karma) about this.[/quote']

I believe it is strictly lava rocks. You bring sand home without even trying.

You might want to find out about the local custom of not removing certain objects from the beaches. Not sure if sand is included' date=' but there is a legend (bad karma) about this.[/quote']

That is what I am trying to find out about: If Pele's curse extends to the black volcanic sand. I am not superstitious but I do want to acknowledge their local beliefs and customs.

I always bring sand back from the beaches I visit and have quite a display, so I really want to know. I may have to wait and ask the locals.

After many weeks of feeling overwhelmed and confused, I'm starting to get a handle on what is available and what I'm interested in doing at each of the Hawaiian ports. Mostly, thanks to the "OCD Golden Hawaii" review!

How many hours should we plan to pick up our rental, drive to Volcano National Park, stop at Akaka Falls and visit Punaluu Black Sand Beach? Are there other black sand beaches, maybe something more convienent?

If someone could give me a sample itinery for these desired stops (which one first, which direction?) I'd be so very grateful :)

Robin

Following is the plan that Aina tours gave us. We are doing a private tour with them..might give you an idea on driving time, etc.

Pickup 10:30

Arrive Volcano Park 11:20

-Volcano National Park- Thurston Lava Tube, Jagger Museum, Halemau'mau Crater and Kilauea Caldera

Depart Volcano Park 1:30

Lunch 1:35 to 2:00 Cafe Ohia (small place to each in Volcano Village)

Depart Lunch 2:00

Arrive Rainbow Falls 2:45

-Rainbow Falls

Depart Rainbow Falls 3:05

Arrive Akaka Falls 3:35

-Akaka & Kahuna Falls

Depart Akaka Falls 4:05

(If you wanted to see the garden and statue then allocate 15 minutes. We would arrive at the beach at 4:45l)

Arrive Black Sand Beach 4:35

-Black Sand Beach

Depart Black Sand Beach 5:30

Arrive back at ship 5:45

We have spent a total of a month on the Big Island. I think the times listed above are unrealistic, unless they were thinking about another black sand beach. Akaka Falls and Punaluu are on opposite sides of the Island. When plugging these places into google maps it was a total drive time of 4 hours. This is without stopping to enjoy the destinations. You could honestly spend the whole day at the Volcanoes National Park but I would say a minium of 2 hours (that's just me). Punaluu Black Sand Beach State Park is pretty cool. Close by is the Punaluu Bakery, the southern most bakery in the US. It's fun.

Get a good map... and have fun!

Oh and sorry the below looks crazy. You should go to google maps and plug in the places you want to visit, you can print out a map too.:D

Hilo, HI

Head east on Iliahi St toward Puueo St

112 ft

Turn right onto Puueo St

0.2 mi

Take the 2nd left onto Wailuku Dr

446 ft

Wailuku Dr turns slightly right and becomes Kamehameha Ave

1.7 mi

Turn right onto Hawaii Belt Rd

55.8 mi

Turn left onto Punalu'u Rd

0.6 mi

Continue onto Ninole Loop Rd

0.3 mi

Punaluu County Beach Park Kau, Hawaii

Head northeast on Ninole Loop Rd

0.3 mi

Continue onto Punalu'u Rd

0.6 mi

Turn right onto HI-11/Hawaii Belt Rd Continue to follow Hawaii Belt Rd

29.4 mi

Turn left onto Wright Rd

0.9 mi

Take the 2nd right onto Laukapu Ave Restricted usage road

0.2 mi

Volcano, HI

Head southwest on Laukapu Ave toward Kekoa Nui Blvd Restricted usage road

0.2 mi

Take the 1st left onto Wright Rd

0.9 mi

Take the 2nd left onto HI-11/Hawaii Belt Rd

26.4 mi

Turn left onto Hawaii Belt Rd/Kamehameha Ave Continue to follow Kamehameha Ave

1.7 mi

Kamehameha Ave turns slightly left and becomes Wailuku Dr

0.2 mi

Turn right onto Wainaku Ave

0.1 mi

Turn left onto Amauulu Rd Partial restricted usage road

1.0 mi

Turn left onto Maikalani St Restricted usage road Destination will be on the left

0.6 mi

Rainbow Falls

Head northeast on Maikalani St toward Amauulu Rd Restricted usage road

0.6 mi

Turn right onto Amauulu Rd Partial restricted usage road

1.0 mi

Turn left onto Wainaku Ave

0.8 mi

Turn right onto Hau St

262 ft

Turn left onto HI-19/Hawaii Belt Rd

10.1 mi

Turn left onto Pua St

0.4 mi

Turn left toward Old Akaka Falls Rd/Stable Camp Rd/State Hwy 220

79 ft

Take the 1st right onto Old Akaka Falls Rd/Stable Camp Rd/State Hwy 220 Continue to follow State Hwy 220

0.9 mi

Continue onto State Hwy 22

2.3 mi

Akaka Falls State Park Highway 220 Honomu, 96728

Head southeast on State Hwy 22 toward Aloaka Falls Rd

2.3 mi

Continue onto State Hwy 220

0.9 mi

Turn left toward Pua St

79 ft

Take the 1st right onto Pua St

0.4 mi

Turn right onto HI-19/Hawaii Belt Rd

10.1 mi

Turn right onto Hau St

262 ft

Turn left onto Wainaku St

0.6 mi

Turn left onto Iliahi St

0.1 mi

Hilo, HI

Show on Google Maps

staticmap?size=300x300&maptype=roadmap&sensor=false&path=weight:3%7Ccolor:blue%7Cenc:ollwBf_rq%5CnKkNz%5Egk%40_%40%7BcBndIGxdFgsCz%7D%40OzuAjp%40nxAxn%40bdAjZvy%40jt%40~dArhCfcBp_CrkC%7CrCb%7CHbbDhuB%60mA~%7D%40dkEl%7DBdpD%7CGhvAgz%40%60r%40tRhgDtfCtlGnt%40f%60AfnBjfBdpCjsCngN%7CvHt%7BGjmC%60iG~sCntGxgFrz%40%7D%5EhLuE%7DR%7CH_t%40t%5Bc%7DG%7BkFmdGasCctJ%7BwDwiLufHsfC%7DdCs%7CAizA_q%40k%7D%40ufCulGuRigDfz%40ar%40%7DGivAmdBjBlLyfBaaBerGkiBgfAalEkcCifGawD_bB%7ByB%7BgAqoCy%7C%40iz%40cdAkZoxAyn%40%7BuAkp%40cw%40uAkuFdwCuzHe%40A%7CiBy%5Dze%40GvUjHpaB%7CR%60a%40q%60%40eb%40%7DSuwA%7Dc%40_FymAh%40exA%7BBkdCvDkm%40nXizEjr%40asD%7DZinAtg%40%7DKhf%40~ObV~fArcAfl%40%60vAoH%7Cn%40oI%7CShHmRpJum%40mk%40mtAmgAigAmNkTcCo%60%40xtAuo%40~lD~YriDi%5CvgBmn%40rdCyCbsAvBvvAq%40ja%40%60KnNeT&client=google-maps-sharing&signature=8tSvCvuilbjefJ1l5FoG0EIcKUA=

There is no way the black sand beach referenced is Punalu'u as it says to depart there at 5:30 and be back at the ship at 5:45. It must be something actually in or around Hilo.

In re: the Pele's Curse thing - it was invented by a bus driver who got tired of cleaning up after folks hauling lava onto his bus. However, it has achieved some degree of 'urban legend' status and the park service gets rocks back all the time with pleas from people who are sure that they are 'cursed' to give the rocks back to Pele. There's a great book they put out called "Powerstones" with lots of the letters and stories.

In re: taking away the sand (other than that which sticks to you) - imagine if all our visitors took away a water bottle full of sand - pretty soon there wouldn't be any left, so please, try and restrain your impulses to remove rocks and sand from our beaches so that they will still be there for your children and grandchildren to enjoy.

There's a saying here in Hawaii - Malama Aina - it means care for the land and the natives are called Kama'aina - children of the land. It means a lot to folks here that the land be treated with respect and care.

The black sand beach that is mentioned on the potential tour is most likely Richardson Beach Park which is just down the road from the cruise pier in Hilo. Punalu'u black sand beach is another 45 minute drive past VNP so it could not possible be that one. I also think that some of the times in the tour are unrealistic....kind of like a mad dash around the Hilo area without stopping to smell the roses so to speak. I would pass on Rainbow Falls if one is going to see the much more spectacular Akaka Falls. I would also spend more time at VNP....but that is just my opinion :)

In my opinion the "tours" of VNP have little to do with self drive, since they don't include the Chain of Crator Road drive which is very worthwhile.

There is NO way to suggest a time,since it is totally up to the person's interest and how fast they are going to move.

The black sand beach that is mentioned on the potential tour is most likely Richardson Beach Park which is just down the road from the cruise pier in Hilo. Punalu'u black sand beach is another 45 minute drive past VNP so it could not possible be that one. I also think that some of the times in the tour are unrealistic....kind of like a mad dash around the Hilo area without stopping to smell the roses so to speak. I would pass on Rainbow Falls if one is going to see the much more spectacular Akaka Falls. I would also spend more time at VNP....but that is just my opinion :)

Correct. It is not Punalu'u Black Sand Beach. It is one close by in the town of Hilo.

We have spent a total of a month on the Big Island. I think the times listed above are unrealistic, unless they were thinking about another black sand beach. Akaka Falls and Punaluu are on opposite sides of the Island. When plugging these places into google maps it was a total drive time of 4 hours. This is without stopping to enjoy the destinations. You could honestly spend the whole day at the Volcanoes National Park but I would say a minium of 2 hours (that's just me). Punaluu Black Sand Beach State Park is pretty cool. Close by is the Punaluu Bakery, the southern most bakery in the US. It's fun.

Get a good map... and have fun!

Oh and sorry the below looks crazy. You should go to google maps and plug in the places you want to visit, you can print out a map too.:D

Show on Google Maps

staticmap?size=300x300&maptype=roadmap&sensor=false&path=weight:3%7Ccolor:blue%7Cenc:ollwBf_rq%5CnKkNz%5Egk%40_%40%7BcBndIGxdFgsCz%7D%40OzuAjp%40nxAxn%40bdAjZvy%40jt%40~dArhCfcBp_CrkC%7CrCb%7CHbbDhuB%60mA~%7D%40dkEl%7DBdpD%7CGhvAgz%40%60r%40tRhgDtfCtlGnt%40f%60AfnBjfBdpCjsCngN%7CvHt%7BGjmC%60iG~sCntGxgFrz%40%7D%5EhLuE%7DR%7CH_t%40t%5Bc%7DG%7BkFmdGasCctJ%7BwDwiLufHsfC%7DdCs%7CAizA_q%40k%7D%40ufCulGuRigDfz%40ar%40%7DGivAmdBjBlLyfBaaBerGkiBgfAalEkcCifGawD_bB%7ByB%7BgAqoCy%7C%40iz%40cdAkZoxAyn%40%7BuAkp%40cw%40uAkuFdwCuzHe%40A%7CiBy%5Dze%40GvUjHpaB%7CR%60a%40q%60%40eb%40%7DSuwA%7Dc%40_FymAh%40exA%7BBkdCvDkm%40nXizEjr%40asD%7DZinAtg%40%7DKhf%40~ObV~fArcAfl%40%60vAoH%7Cn%40oI%7CShHmRpJum%40mk%40mtAmgAigAmNkTcCo%60%40xtAuo%40~lD~YriDi%5CvgBmn%40rdCyCbsAvBvvAq%40ja%40%60KnNeT&client=google-maps-sharing&signature=8tSvCvuilbjefJ1l5FoG0EIcKUA=

Most helpful, thank you :)

In re: the Pele's Curse thing - it was invented by a bus driver who got tired of cleaning up after folks hauling lava onto his bus. However, it has achieved some degree of 'urban legend' status and the park service gets rocks back all the time with pleas from people who are sure that they are 'cursed' to give the rocks back to Pele. There's a great book they put out called "Powerstones" with lots of the letters and stories.

Interesting. We were at Petrified Forest NP in AZ recently and they also get petrified tree rocks back in the mail from people who felt they caused bad luck. They have a number of the letters posted at one of the visitors centers. There they have had a big problem with people taking "just a little one home, they'll never miss it." They actually ask you when you drive out if you took any of their rocks.

Archived