No Credit Card

Janice Romano

Hi - I am sailing on the Grand in Dec with my grand-daughter. My payment is paid in full (using my husband's credit card). I do not have a credit card. How do I print out my boarding pass without one - and do I have to put down a cash deposit for them to hold for tips etc. before we sail?

Hi - I am sailing on the Grand in Dec with my grand-daughter. My payment is paid in full (using my husband's credit card). I do not have a credit card. How do I print out my boarding pass without one - and do I have to put down a cash deposit for them to hold for tips etc. before we sail?

Enter your hiusband's credit card number in your cruise personaliser, print out the boarding passes and baggage tags then remove your husband's credit card number from the cruise personaliser.

If you have now credit card you will have to deposit an amount of cash when you check in, I don't know how much cash you have to depsoit because we have never done it.

Enter your hiusband's credit card number in your cruise personaliser, print out the boarding passes and baggage tags then remove your husband's credit card number from the cruise personaliser.

If you have now credit card you will have to deposit an amount of cash when you check in, I don't know how much cash you have to depsoit because we have never done it.

When we did a cash account, they didn't mention a minimum to us. We put down $200 though.

Janice,

If you have a granddaughter, you may be approaching your senior years. May I bodly suggest you get a credit card in your own name, simply to establish your own credit rating independent of your husband's.

I did this a couple of years ago when I retired and make infrequent purchases, just to establish a credit record of my own.

Ruth

If you have no credit card you will have to deposit an amount of cash when you check in.

Actually, when you check in you just them the check-in person that you will be paying with cash.

Then, once onboard, within a reasonable amount of time (an hour or two) go to the Purser's desk to leave a cash deposit. If you use up the deposit, you will be contacted to give them some more money.

Remeber to bring enough cash to cover the daily hotel service charge for both you and your grand-daughter, any shore excursions, and expected beverage purchases (soft drinks, for example) and other possible shipboard purchases (photos, boutiques, etc.).

It is risky these days to travel without a credit or debit card as you never know when there will be an unexpected need for one. I suggest either having a card issued to you from your husband's account or applying for one in your name.

You might want to consider a credit card for an emergency. If it is just you and your granddaughter it is important that you have some sort of backup if something happens. You don't even need to apply on your own just have your name added to your husband's card This will also establish a credit rating for you as well. Have a great time.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I have applied for a credit card, but I am unsure of how long it will take. I also will have my name put on my husband's card - we didn't know we could do that. Thanks again, looking forward to a great cruise

It's so important for each partner in a marriage, especially long term ones, to have their own credit rating. Even having your name on your husband's card does not give you a credit rating. We've been married almost 50 years so any credit rating I had before marriage has long since evaporated. I decided it was important to have my own card. I'd had a long career but we just felt it was easier to have one bill a month. Now we have pre authorized payment for three cards -- one of which is in my name only!

Bon voyage and do enjoy some quality time with a precious granddaughter,

Ruth

You might want to consider a credit card for an emergency. If it is just you and your granddaughter it is important that you have some sort of backup if something happens. You don't even need to apply on your own just have your name added to your husband's card This will also establish a credit rating for you as well. Have a great time.

This is my suggestion as well....for many reasons you do need a credit card....and while we do not know the age of your granddaughter...please get an additional card on your husband's account...and also do be sure you are traveling with insurance.....

also, does your granddaughter have a card?

This is really important..get a card....and bring lots of extra cash...or over fund your checking account and bring the debit card...

It is just not wise to travel without a card these days..and as I said we do not know the age of your granddaughter...and if she is a minor...the responsibility is more than if she is a young adult....and possibly has a card of her own

It's so important for each partner in a marriage, especially long term ones, to have their own credit rating. Even having your name on your husband's card does not give you a credit rating. We've been married almost 50 years so any credit rating I had before marriage has long since evaporated. I decided it was important to have my own card. I'd had a long career but we just felt it was easier to have one bill a month. Now we have pre authorized payment for three cards -- one of which is in my name only!

Bon voyage and do enjoy some quality time with a precious granddaughter,

Ruth

heck..I have been raising a great family for the past 20 years and left my great paycheck bearing career that long ago as well...but I still get cards in my own name...it is very simple...all you need to do is state your household income...doesn't matter who brings in the paycheck..and the credit cards are in my name...and sometimes I even get DH a secondary card on my account:D..but mostly I open a new credit card everytime one of my kids reaches the age where I want them to have a card for themselves...Each of my older kids has a credit card..all connected to my card....my credit....and I have been a non paycheck household manager for years.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I have applied for a credit card, but I am unsure of how long it will take. I also will have my name put on my husband's card - we didn't know we could do that. Thanks again, looking forward to a great cruise

enjoy the trip

Wow! You guys are wonderful. My grand-daughter is 16. Her mother has been missing for four months, and I felt that a cruise might be good medicine for her - to get her mind off this horrible nightmare. I most certainly appreciate all of your caring comments. Hugs to all

Have a wonderful time with your grand daughter. I agree if you just have your name added as an authorized user onto your husband's account you'll be good to go. However, carry a picture id with you too. You might want to take along a good amount of cash to lock up in your safe but handy for small purchases and cabs while at port.

Oh...and you MUST notify your bank/credit card company that you will be using it out of the state and the dates. Or you will find there could be a block on your card. That is a MESS to deal with.

If you are disciplined enough to not have a credit card until now, you don't have to worry about going hog wild with one. As the others have said, it's a very good idea to have a credit card in your own name. Use it for a few small things every month and pay off the balance, and you'll have a great credit score. You never know when life will throw you a curveball and you'll need it.

If you are disciplined enough to not have a credit card until now, you don't have to worry about going hog wild with one. As the others have said, it's a very good idea to have a credit card in your own name. Use it for a few small things every month and pay off the balance, and you'll have a great credit score. You never know when life will throw you a curveball and you'll need it.

Pam I know your next trip is not a cruise but I think many of us are interested in what you have to say when you return. Safe travels.

Don't forget to have notarized permission from her legal guardian to take with you for check in.

This is important advice. A minor child not sailing with her parents or legal guardian needs a signed notarized letter from both parents to leave the US. If you are her guardian, then be sure to take the papers with you, if not then you need to contact Princess to find out what to do since her mother is missing. Just having her father sign may be a problem. You have time to make sure everything is taken care of so you don't have issues that prevent you from boarding the ship.

This is important advice. A minor child not sailing with her parents or legal guardian needs a signed notarized letter from both parents to leave the US. If you are her guardian, then be sure to take the papers with you, if not then you need to contact Princess to find out what to do since her mother is missing. Just having her father sign may be a problem. You have time to make sure everything is taken care of so you don't have issues that prevent you from boarding the ship.

I will also agree with having the notarized document, but also include in the wording that the grandparent can give medical permission if treatment is required.

heck..I have been raising a great family for the past 20 years and left my great paycheck bearing career that long ago as well...but I still get cards in my own name...it is very simple...all you need to do is state your household income...doesn't matter who brings in the paycheck..and the credit cards are in my name...and sometimes I even get DH a secondary card on my account:D..but mostly I open a new credit card everytime one of my kids reaches the age where I want them to have a card for themselves...Each of my older kids has a credit card..all connected to my card....my credit....and I have been a non paycheck household manager for years.

It should be noted that the OP is in Canada and their credit card rules are VERY different then US rules.

Wow! You guys are wonderful. My grand-daughter is 16. Her mother has been missing for four months, and I felt that a cruise might be good medicine for her - to get her mind off this horrible nightmare. I most certainly appreciate all of your caring comments. Hugs to all

You don't mention of your grand daughter's father.

In addition to the fine information provided re-credit cards, don't forget to check with Canada Immigration (CBSA) if you are required to get authorization from the other parent to take your grand daughter/have her accompanying you out of the country, and she should have her own passport.

Ciao for now!!!

Thank you all once again for taking the time to help me out. Her father, my son, has had soul custody since my grand-daughter was 3. Her mother has Bi-Polar, and they were unsafe living with her. Most times her mother was in hospital. I do have a permission slip from her dad as well as the legal form the judge signed many years ago giving my son full custody. Maybe in Canada the rules are different as far as me adding my name to my husband's credit card - today is a holiday - we will check tomorrow.

Most cards issued here in Ontario (Visa, MC, Amex, etc..) will allow the "Primary" card holder (your husband) to have a "Supplementary" card issued to their spouse. Just have your husband call the 1-800 number on the back of the card and you should recieve within a week. While he is on the phone, have him make a notation on the file of the places you will be travelling. The new supplementary card will be linked up to the primary card, and will have a different number, but it will have YOUR name on it.

What a wonderful grandmother you are, and I hope this trip helps relieve the stress you all must be going through at this difficult time.

Bon Voyage!

Archived